Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mafia - A Mafia-themed game of Mafia

Welcome to Mafia! Game has been blessed by 8 track betamax.

After the success of Witches and Werewolves - A Game of Mafia, I thought it'd be fun to run another game. And here it is!

What is Mafia?

Mafia is a parlour game about lying to people and finding out who the liars are.

The idea is that there is a uninformed majority vs an informed minority. The town players only know their own alignment, while the scum know who their teammates are and who they have to kill.

There are two phases to the game, Day and Night. During the day you may post in this thread and try to root out who the enemies of the town are by posting and voting on who to lynch. During the night, special roles will have the chance to figure out who the mafia are while the mafia choose who dies.

Helpful Links

Mafiascum wiki, for all your newbie needs

The mafia hangout here on Something Awful

So what do I do?

If you are interested in playing in this game, reply with "in". Once I get 19 players, I'll PM you your role (you must have PMs to play), and we'll get started once everyone is ready. Each day will be variable, since most players don't post as much on weekends, but will be roughly 2 days long, with nights being 1 day long.

After that, POST! In order to figure out who is the enemy of the town, your greatest weapon is to POST. The mafia do not want to post, they don't want to give away that they are bad guys, and by posting and realizing who isn't posting or trying to find the mafia, you've found the mafia. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the best place to start.

If you're not in the game, feel free to read, but please do not post in the thread to help the players.

Standard Rules

Don't Toxx clause your role or the alignment of another player
Don't Copy Paste your role PM
Don't talk to other players outside of the thread about the game, unless your roles says that you can
Don't encrypt or write code in a post for later discovery
NEVER EVER EDIT A PREVIOUS POST
Don't post after you are dead or a spectator
Don't fake day actions

This game may be different to the previous game.

Unlike Werewolves and Witches, this is a closed setup. That means that the makeup of the town and scum teams is entirely unknown and dealing with the unknown nature of your enemies and friends is part of the challenge. Here are a few examples of roles you might see in this game that were not in the other. Note: While you may see any of these, this is not confirmation that any or all of them are being used in this game.

Rolecop A rolecop can investigate a player but instead of determining their alignment like a standard cop, you find out what role they are.

Miller A miller is like a vanilla town, but a cop who investigates them will get a false scum result.

Watcher A watcher is a reverse tracker. When they target a player, they learn the names of any players who also targetted them.

As well as this, we now have access to SomethingAwful's handy dandy vote-counting robot. This means that when you vote for some, be sure to format the vote correctly so it can be tallied. ##vote SirSamVimes for example. The name does not have to be exact, ##vote vimes or ##vote sam would also apply unless there were someone else with Vimes or Sam in their names.

Player List
  1. amityville anus
  2. bunnyofdoom
  3. Concerned Citizen
  4. dongsbot 9000
  5. eSporks
  6. flerp
  7. gannyGrabber
  8. Hell Yeah
  9. Izzhov
  10. I AM BRAWW
  11. let's dance
  12. logical phalluses
  13. MC Eating Disorder
  14. Microwaves Mom
  15. Parallax Scroll
  16. Tendai
  17. The Bananana
  18. Tired Moritz
  19. White Noise Marine

OP shamelessly stolen from Kris Khruel

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I'm in, can't wait to lynch the wrong people because of their skin colour.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm in.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
Sure I'm in.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I am very bad at this game. In.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tired Moritz posted:

I am very bad at this game. In.

Everyone is bad at Mafia. You'll fit right in.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i prefer mafia over werewolves because werewolves are not real

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

in (op's butt)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

:gizz: this is my attempt to make the thread "sticky"

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
i want to be in the game

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Put me in coach

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Im very enthusiastic about how this will pan out

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's eight so far, need eleven more.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
C'mon kid, let me introduce ya ta the don:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i wanna be the guy with the shotgun

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i'm "fat jimmy lubonelli". I like to eat lasagna, drink cheap wine, and love the fuckin' pope.

also I'm not fat, I'm actually incredibly malnourished and people just call me that ironically.

Harald fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 19, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Done this live, never tried on a forum. I'm in.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I long for the sweet embrace of death. In unless somebody badly wants my spot!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gannyGrabber posted:

I long for the sweet embrace of death. In unless somebody badly wants my spot!

shall we team up again, Ganny, for a buddy cop sequel?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The Bananana posted:

shall we team up again, Ganny, for a buddy cop sequel?

Yussssss

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Then pour me another round, bartender, cause I'm down for a new game.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Im the Tommy gun guy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

but which one???

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm in

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Five left.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you can tell this is a game for goons cause most of those guys are wearing fedoras

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who's up for some bathtub gin???

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Looking forward to being killed by Tendai during the first night.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What is meant by "Don't fake day actions"? since lying about the game is the whole point of the game. I'm sure its something obvious I am just missing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Faking a day action is pretending that you actually have a role power. For example, typing ##kill playername when you don't have the ability to kill during the day is faking a day action.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SirSamVimes posted:

but which one???

https://youtu.be/N935qOPqRzk

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

I'm in

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Faking a day action is pretending that you actually have a role power. For example, typing ##kill playername when you don't have the ability to kill during the day is faking a day action.
Oh, I misunderstood the rules I guess. So are votes public then too? The way I have played votes were secret and so were roll powers. It was a legit strat to say "I'm the cop and I investigated Sam, he is clean" but be lying about it. Hmm, that really makes things play a lot different.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can say that you investigated someone as a night action. Faking day actions is annoying because it causes confusion as people wait to see whether or not the mod confirms it.

Votes are also public and during the day, this is correct.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
##vote SirSamVines

I'm taking the initiative.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

no mods no masters

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
gl town make sure u post dog gfs

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I agree he's a sneaky motherfucker but have we really looked at ganny yet???

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

In

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

You can say that you investigated someone as a night action. Faking day actions is annoying because it causes confusion as people wait to see whether or not the mod confirms it.

Votes are also public and during the day, this is correct.
OK I get it, no acting out of turn basically.

• Locked thread