Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Talmonis posted:

You're being simplistic to avoid what's been said to argue further for some reason. Cars are just one of any number of loud, dangerous things that people with high levels of testosterone and low risk avoidance are into. And again, being "stoney-faced" is a social construct, while increased aggression is not (entirely).

Are you sure that the stereotypical "male" affection for loud and potentially dangerous machines, such as power tools, fast cars, and heavily-armed airplanes is due to testosterone and not, you know, a century and a half of social and cultural conditioning? I feel like you're overly inclined to blame things on :biotruths: while ignoring boatloads of cultural context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Talmonis posted:

Helsing here puts it better than I can.

But all he's saying in that quote is "maybe one thing is true, maybe the other thing is true, it's impossible to decide with any certainty", which is very different from your clear focus on trying to blame hormones for specific cultural factors.

Talmonis posted:

Now, that out of the way, are you really trying to say that hormones have no impact on human behavior? Research does not support this. Our mental state is managed by such a delicately balanced cocktail of chemicals (including hormones) that even a small change in the levels can screw you up. This I know first hand, as I have to take one medication to balance my seretonin, and another for testosterone. Without them, I become paranoid, anxious, obsessive and depressed. Without the testosterone especially, my libido dissapears completely as a 34 year old man (though it started in my 20's). I'm a different person without them.

When you take a testosterone pill, do you immediately develop a deep craving for power tools, riced-out sports cars, and extreme skydiving into the driver's seat of a convertible parked on top of a yacht?

• Locked thread