Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I would prefer not to have my genitals tied to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Talmonis posted:

These bolded would seem to be covered under the typically high levels of testosterone in males. Short hair, "male" clothes and male colors seem to be entirely socially constructed.

I don't think having high levels of testosterone would make you predisposed to driving loud cars and never showing feelings.

For one thing, cars are a fairly recent invention. Throughout the entirety of human history, cars have been here for about 0.00001% of it.

And as for the second, I'm guessing you've never spent time around young children because boys certainly show feelings, until they're forced to 'man up'.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Claverjoe posted:

Presumably the effects of testosterone wouldn't really show up until it is being produced in larger quantities, such as when a boy hits puberty.

If Testosterone truly has such a huge effect, wouldn't it manifest earlier? Such as when they're born, given that prenatal hormones determine sexual characteristics.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Claverjoe posted:

Testesterone profiles during prenatal development and early childhood are different. General diagram for boys:

From that chart, it seems that fetal exposure to testosterone peaks at about the same level as it does in pubescent boys, and with much greater intensity.

If a love of cars and being stoney-faced is linked to testosterone, do these feelings slowly ramp up during puberty? How about the period before puberty where children play with toy cars etc.? How does that lull in testosterone account for that?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

cravius posted:

Gender is a binary thing imo. Just cause you want it to be different than it is doesn't mean it can be. Thats my 2 cents thanks and god bless.

Woah hot new take here. My mind's been expanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A doctor wouldn't do it, no, but there are tons of accredited body piercers who can do it, who know proper infection control measures and everything.

Doing it yourself is insane. You might aswell give yourself a homemade tattoo.

• Locked thread