Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why is KoF so good?
The cool characters, of course.
It has less buttons than I have fingers, so I can play faster.
I enjoy fast paced footsie action.
My KyoXIori fanfic
View Results

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
No Whip, no Vanessa, no peace.

I know we'll never see K9999 again, but I was still hoping for Whip and Vanessa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I got kof 13 and while I am a baby retard when it comes to fighting games I thought it was fun and good. Better than SFV at least. what's wrong with it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kyo wasn't a hero like Terry Bogard or Kim Kaphwan, he wasn't a cop like Blue Mary nor a soldier like the Ikaris. It wasn't his duty to protect people or apprehend criminals, and he already had his hands full anyway, what with a manicure-obsessed bastard intent on stealing his power and a new bunch of psychos trying to resurrect Orochi.

But he was a good guy, and if a violent troublemaker was nearby, the brunet figured kicking his rear end would be the right thing to do. Besides, if the guy was strong enough to take on thirty opponents, he was probably a decent enough fighter to entertain Kyo for a couple of minutes, and hopefully take Kyo's mind off a certain red-read…

So Kyo hopped on his bike and sped on, following the road ahead. There were no light posts, but the sky was cloudless and the moon and the stars shone brightly. It wasn't long till he spotted the silhouette of a man walking along the road. When the bike's headlights illuminated the man's back, the astounded rider pulled the brakes hard.

No!

But there was no mistaking that icon of the crescent moon, the symbol of the Yagami Clan.

Him of all people!

Kyo's mental curse would have made the hooligan from before blush like a choirboy. So much for getting his mind off him…! What to do now? Was Yagami the attacker? Had he gone Blood Riot again? Was ignoring Yagami, turning around and getting away the best course of action? Or was it fighting him to help him come back to his senses before more people got hurt, and maybe even to get back at him for the beating at the end of the latest Tournament?

Kyo was still rapidly considering the possibilities, when the red-head stopped dead in his track, turned around and, as if annoyed, asked: "What do you want, Kyo?"

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

StabMasterArson posted:

I got kof 13 and while I am a baby retard when it comes to fighting games I thought it was fun and good. Better than SFV at least. what's wrong with it?

Three main things

HD combos are not interesting and are really long

The speed of the game is fine, but the pace of the match is really bizarre because it's so meter reliant

Short hops have a weird slowness in the middle

It's still lots of fun but really the HD system and how meter reliant the game is makes it a little bizarre

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Saoshyant posted:

Kyo wasn't a hero like Terry Bogard or Kim Kaphwan, he wasn't a cop like Blue Mary nor a soldier like the Ikaris. It wasn't his duty to protect people or apprehend criminals, and he already had his hands full anyway, what with a manicure-obsessed bastard intent on stealing his power and a new bunch of psychos trying to resurrect Orochi.

But he was a good guy, and if a violent troublemaker was nearby, the brunet figured kicking his rear end would be the right thing to do. Besides, if the guy was strong enough to take on thirty opponents, he was probably a decent enough fighter to entertain Kyo for a couple of minutes, and hopefully take Kyo's mind off a certain red-read…

So Kyo hopped on his bike and sped on, following the road ahead. There were no light posts, but the sky was cloudless and the moon and the stars shone brightly. It wasn't long till he spotted the silhouette of a man walking along the road. When the bike's headlights illuminated the man's back, the astounded rider pulled the brakes hard.

No!

But there was no mistaking that icon of the crescent moon, the symbol of the Yagami Clan.

Him of all people!

Kyo's mental curse would have made the hooligan from before blush like a choirboy. So much for getting his mind off him…! What to do now? Was Yagami the attacker? Had he gone Blood Riot again? Was ignoring Yagami, turning around and getting away the best course of action? Or was it fighting him to help him come back to his senses before more people got hurt, and maybe even to get back at him for the beating at the end of the latest Tournament?

Kyo was still rapidly considering the possibilities, when the red-head stopped dead in his track, turned around and, as if annoyed, asked: "What do you want, Kyo?"

Keep going...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Keep going...

Yagami didn't reply. Instead, he walked towards 'his one true enemy', and stopped a few inches from him.

Kyo expected him to make another of those same old same old death threats the red-head was so fond of, or to glare at him ominously (more like ridiculously), or maybe to throw a punch. He did not expect him to lean forward and kiss Kyo's lips.

The sudden and overwhelming shock left the brunet completely inert, and the tiny part of his brain that was still functional didn't scream bloody murder (as it should have!), but instead marveled at the softness of Iori's lips (so unlike the painful blows exchanged in their strife) and the gentleness of the kiss (was that really the same beast who could, and often had, beat people to death?).

Iori did not move further, just continued pressing his soft lips gently against the other man's, keeping his eyes open all the while, silently daring Kyo to make a move.

Let it not be said that the heir of Kusanagi backed off from a challenge.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > King of Fighters: Let it not be said that the heir of Kusanagi backed off from a challenge

Coolness Averted posted:

No Whip, no Vanessa, no peace.

I know we'll never see K9999 again, but I was still hoping for Whip and Vanessa.

Whip drools, Vanessa rules. I'm happy at least Ramon's in there. Shame he forgot about his team members 'cause Vanessa and Seth were too cool for the shitstorm that was KOF2000.

Whip's story arc or whatever was going on with her ended with the NESTS saga.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 19, 2016

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's been twenty years on and Kyo still has yet to graduate from high school

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Who do you think is going to graduate first, Sakura or Kyo

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

May we please perhaps discuss how sad it is that the KOF 14 has 2008-era 3d models instead of Nice Sprites

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

You could, but it's been said enough really.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

StabMasterArson posted:

May we please perhaps discuss how sad it is that the KOF 14 has 2008-era 3d models instead of Nice Sprites

They've been getting progressively better every trailer, and big rear end sprites is one of the reasons why SNK went bankrupt last time

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

OK, seriously now, if you haven't watched it, you need to watch EVO's KOF grandfinals from three years ago where American Hero Reynald saved the title while wearing shades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWf5G9bcRY

And Hellpockets was on commentary so all the right ingredients were in place.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mintergalactic posted:

I think Kyo dropped out

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Mintergalactic posted:

Yuri Sakazaki

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

OK, seriously now, if you haven't watched it, you need to watch EVO's KOF grandfinals from three years ago where American Hero Reynald saved the title while wearing shades.

then he got fired and banned forever for saying the f-bomb thank you evo for saving esports

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Saoshyant posted:

Whip's story arc or whatever was going on with her ended with the NESTS saga.

In general half the cast has had their stories wrapped up and just get included as fan favorites. Even characters like and Vice and Mature who died get better because fans wanna see them. Or sometimes it's not even a matter of 'got better' it's just "Eh, gently caress it we want another 3 slots in the roster, look who is back!"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What the hell even has been the plot of KoF post-2002

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

inthesto posted:

*falcoon voice* ASH CRIMSON IS SO COOL YOU GUYS LIKE GOD HOW CAN YOU NOT THINK HE IS SO COOL

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Smoking Crow posted:

*falcoon voice* ASH CRIMSON IS SO COOL YOU GUYS LIKE GOD HOW CAN YOU NOT THINK HE IS SO COOL

Ash is one of my mains and he is my cool and stylish friend.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The best thing Ash Crimson did was create a time paradox so he never existed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

his flames are green

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I think you just undid all the warnings to not play KOF XIII, because that made me wanna learn EX Kyo. Also, check that salty stick throw at the very end.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

NuclearPotato posted:

I think you just undid all the warnings to not play KOF XIII, because that made me wanna learn EX Kyo. Also, check that salty stick throw at the very end.

KOF XIII is good and fun. The short hops never bothered me but I'll agree that the meter need is really odd. Like the game has ex moves but they cost a whole bar to use, same as a desperation move. Kinda weird like 01 making you use a full bar to use a striker. Also yeah, gently caress the HD stuff.

Also EX Kyo is just NESTS Kyo so you can play him in 99-02 as well as XIII.

inthesto posted:

"Have you ever been attracted to men who looked like women?" - Falcoon

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i really hate the hd system, like i wish so bad it didnt exist

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

One of the first things that comes to mind when I think of SNK fighters is beautiful, detailed, lovingly-created backgrounds and KOF XIV is definitely delivering in that department, so I am looking forward to this cool game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

then he got fired and banned forever for saying the f-bomb thank you evo for saving esports

But he did xrd last year and also he owns?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know when hellpockets enters the anime suite because you can hear him asking where the kof is from down the hallway

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, was just going to ask if that was something recent 'cause he did Xrd last year and it was, obviously, the most hype thing on that year's EVO (that wasn't the Catherine tournament). I want more Hellpockets. I want Hellpockets commentating everything. I'd hear him commentate even Smash paint drying.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I cant believe you'd think I'm in favor of esports ............ I'm glad they let him back

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I'm pretty sure when Hellpockets says ANYTHING you can hear him from down the hallway. With the register of his voice when he commentates I can feel it in my teeth.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

NuclearPotato posted:

13 is pretty good, and at its base it's still kof, and it is fun to play

but it's not 989898989898989898989898989898

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Reasons Why SNK Went Bankrupt, Part 1: Neo-Geo World

SNK went bankrupt in 2001. While there were many reasons why this happened like declining interest in arcade games and the move away from 2D sprites to 3D models, the main reason was SNK's awful financial decisions. SNK's financial decisions were so bad it's kind of endearing. It's like if your friend who's bad with money suddenly got $80 million; you know he's going to waste it all, but gently caress, it's going to be a fun ride.

Which takes us to our topic, the Neo-Geo World. Before Neo-Geo World, there was Neo-Geo Land. Neo-Geo Land was not a bad idea. They were company owned arcades with a twist--they were two or three stories tall and included things like bowling and karaoke. The first floor was the arcade. It had various Neo-Geo games, crane games and photo booths. The second floor was the bowling alley. It also had a cafe and a pool hall. If the building had a third floor, it was karaoke. Neo-Geo Land was the site of location testing and voice actor meet-and-greets. It became a popular hang-out for cosplayers. These were so popular, in fact, that SNK opened up their own bowling alleys around Osaka called Neo-Geo Bowl based off demand.

There were three Neo-Geo Lands, all in Osaka. The most famous one was in Esaka, across from the SNK building. You can see this arcade in the background of the Esaka stages in KOF 94, 95, 96, 98, 03 (PS2 only) and Maximum Impact 2. The first one opened in 1994 and the last one closed in 2004.

Neo-Geo Land

Based on the popularity of Neo-Geo Land, SNK decided to expand and open Neo-Geo World, an indoor theme park complete with rides, never mind that SNK had zero experience managing theme parks. For whatever reason, SNK decided to shift focus away from their IPs and games and focus on third party attractions. Only one non-arcade attraction built at either of the Neo-Geo Worlds had anything to do with SNK or its games. (And yes, I said Worlds. SNK opened two of them, both in Tokyo.)

Like Neo-Geo Land, Neo-Geo World was multi-story. The first story was the rides, which were mostly IMAX movies, haunted houses or laser tag-based rides. One of the Neo-Geo Worlds had a video rental store on their first floor. Why you would pay admission to visit a video rental store in order to pay money to rent a movie and then pay admission again to return it is beyond me. The second was a bowling alley, with a cafe and a DJ, which was necessary for a bowling alley, I guess. The third floor was karaoke again, and the fourth were restaurants and pool halls.

Remember when I said only one attraction had anything to do with SNK? It was called the Band of Fighters, and it had its own backstory. The Band of Fighters was an idea only SNK could have. It was an alternate world take on the characters, where instead of becoming fighters, Athena, Terry, Kyo, Iori and Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown formed a band. They had albums, mugs, key-chains, plushies and drama CDs. They even had a "hit single," "The Song of Fighters."

SNK decided to make their single attraction a Chuck E. Cheese/Showbiz Pizza-esque animatronic Band of Fighters. It's as bad as it sounds. They could only play one song and constantly broke down. They were horrifying

this is bad

get them away from me

Neo-Geo World hemorrhaged money from 1999-2001. When Playmore bought SNK, Neo-Geo World was the first thing shut down.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 20, 2016

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lovely Senorita posted:

it's been twenty years on and Kyo still has yet to graduate from high school

Even Athena graduated and she had to do idol stuff too

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PrinceRandom posted:

Even Athena graduated and she had to do idol stuff too

You know that said, it's weird the way some characters age and progress and others don't. I mean none are the full 20 years, but the range does seem to be 'nothing,' 1-2 and 5 or 6 years. I never thought of that before.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Coolness Averted posted:

You know that said, it's weird the way some characters age and progress and others don't. I mean none are the full 20 years, but the range does seem to be 'nothing,' 1-2 and 5 or 6 years. I never thought of that before.

Hell, Terry was rocking his MotW look for a while and actually regressed to his original appearance.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
KoF is the greatest. Hope 14 comes to PC sooner rather than later.

Smoking Crow posted:

Nice post, nice thread, A+ good job

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Err so the designer that switched over was Hidetoshi Ishizawa aka Neo_G, who is pretty much the greatest game designer of all time and had very little to do with SF4 and everything to do with every good capcom game of the late 90s to early noughties, so there's good reason to be excited although he's clearly coming late onto the project. He's basically responsible for why 3S feels so good.

Also the main problem with 13 isn't HD combos imo, they're polarising and I get why people hate them but nothing compares to the 4f input delay they decided to put on normals (and not specials) they put in 13, I'm still baffled as to why.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
How did Iori ever let Kyo convince him to join a band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Smoking Crow posted:

That's really interesting, and decidedly SNK of them. Please continue the series. :allears: