Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

6:30 PM, Yoichi-cho

It's been hard not notice that things are a little weird lately. Weirder than normal, that is. At the schools, the food carts and even the cafeteria are selling out of food. So are the cafes around the schools and even the premade food sections of the convenience stores. It's gotten to be a real problem - people are buying food, and lots of it, and some people are spending way too much money on it.

Some people are hungry, very hungry. Despite this, there also seems to be some kind of dieting fad going around - one that's had at least two hostesses and several students fainting from hunger.

And in the meantime, the shrine's been getting people coming in to talk. Old people, mostly. They claim there's something creeping about the mountains and the beach, something that's been watching people. One farmer from outside town has claimed his entire crop has been devoured, as if locusts had descended out of nowhere, but he never saw anything. The yakuza have even heard about this now - the farmer was a supplier of vegetables for a restaurant they were setting up in the city. Someone's just lot a hell of a lot of money on cabbages and is very upset.

So why are you all here, now, at the little park outside the Nikka whiskey distillery? Well, mostly because it's one of the few places that people can gather without being too conspicuous. You may not know each other as well as you'd like, but word gets around, about people who have the guts to deal with this kind of problem. And when there's not many of that kind of person around...well, it's usually best to team up.

(Plus, the convenience store by the park's got so much useful stuff!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shotaro Kazuma

This mass hunger thing's gone too far! These drat people are gonna eat my store out! And when things run out of stock, the customers don't blame the other customers, they blame you! Retail sucks!

So of course, like everything in Yoichi-cho, this has to be some demon. And I know I'm totally ill-equipped to take something like that on alone. So I guess I'll swallow my pride and get help from some of the other hunters around town. Completely under duress, of course. If I could, I'd totally take it down on my own.

So we decided to meet at the park. Some of them are already here. These guys are more experience than me, so I gotta make a good entrance and impression. That ledge is a good start! Just gotta get myself above them, and...

"ORE SANJOU! Shotaro Kazuma has arrived!"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 19, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

I'm wearing my casual clothes and pretending I'm out to take Inuki for a walk - as much as one can pretend to be walking a dog, anyway. Obaa-san knows what is happening, of course, it is to everyone not involved that I am pretending, in case someone I know sees me.

Not that they'd care about me enough to notice.

In fact one of the only people who DOES seem to care about me is supposed to be meeting us here. I look around for Izumi-san, and ask Inuki "Do you see Izumi-san anywhere?" Inuki just pants at me in response. I am about to chide him to be more helpful when Kazuma-san, the noisy fool enthusiastic man who works at the convenience store starts yelling and posing like a character from a kid's anime. Then I spot Takeda-san from school pointing at him and laughing. She is already cruel to me, but she hasn't noticed me yet.

I cringe inwardly and walk over to the noisy fool. My duty to help end this problem is more important than my feelings. Maybe she won't say anything right now, won't start something, for the first time since the first day of elementary school when she--anyway, maybe just once, she won't be cruel.

"Why are you yelling," I ask Shotaro quietly, "like a noisy fool?"

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2016

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Izumi Sakuya

card thumbnails from dumb bonus thing here

Sakuya arrives with noise: it's more conspicuous for her when she doesn't. She leaves her white and magenta chopper a distance away and walks the rest, but it's still loud enough to announce her arrival ahead of time. She's got a small convenience store bag with her when she comes down the path, and she's already holding a meat bun in her mouth with her teeth. "Uiffu," she greets Akemi as she comes up, while digging in the bag. "Fu wanhuh meaf buh?"

After she's handed a fresh bun off to Akemi, she finally takes the bun into hand and out of her mouth. "Got one for Sakai-kun too, an' a couple coffees. Had to wait for them to make the buns. There's a stupid rush on them recently. Heyy, Inuki. You wanna piece?"

She kneels and breaks off a piece of the meat bun to offer to the doggie. Her eyes wander in Takeda's direction with a brief intensity. It looks like she is Very Interested in whether Takeda is about to say something, and exactly what she will say.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Akemi Tachibana

I nod my greeting silently to Izumi-san, accepting the bun with both hands and taking a grateful bite. I know Inuki will want some too and I am thankful for Izumi-san having brought some for him.

"Thank you, Izumi-san," I say quietly, both for the food and for the look she is giving Takeda. I don't deserve a friend such as Izumi-san, but I am glad I have her.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

Hajime strolls over to the meeting place, hands in pockets, trying to look as inconspicuous as he can, with his height and vaguely dyed hair ruining the effect to some degree.

"Oi! Sakuya, Akemi! Glad you ladies could make it. Sounds like we got a lot on our plates to deal with."

He gives a vague glance in the direction of the third.

"...I see he's also here, too."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

"You wound me, Tachibana!"

I hop down, totally not hurting my leg in the process.

"Izumi! Sakai! So it looks like all of us got the memo, huh?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

I cringe at Sakai-san's familiarity, and again at Kazuma-san's admittedly lesser breach of ettiquette.

"Tachibana-san," I mutter quietly. Inuki has finished devouring the meat bun and is now giving Sakai-san a soulful look and wagging his tail hopefully. I can't bring myself to scold him for wanting more treats.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Watanabe Ryuu

loving cabbages, man.

Still, business is business, and that's why Watanabe Ryuu is here. His car's parked some distance away, but he shows up soon enough, strolling towards the group with an easy, comfortable gait. He's dressed down, which for him means he's left his suit jacket in the car. "Sekai-san," he says, approaching the one guy he knows decently well, and the young woman he knows mostly by reputation. "Izumi-san. Good to see you. Take it you're here about that, too?" Watanabe reaches for his trusty cigarettes, offering one to Hajime before lighting up. (Izumi would get one too, but for that delicious meat bun.)

Kazuma clambers off his perch, most definitely not hurting himself in the process. Watanabe's eyebrow arches. "Memo," Watanabe says. "Guess you could call it that. Didn't know you were in on it, too."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Katsura Keiko

If I've learned only one thing, it's that the theater's only as strong as its stomach. Yoichi-cho's a darn ghost-town for auditions right now. Only work I've got this week's been hauling things for a moving company. So imagine my face when Granny Tachibana tells me this food problem's in my wheelhouse.

The truck and the kanabo are just a stone's throw away. I stroll up with a stomach still growling at the smell of meat buns, in my oversized casual clothes. It looks like the other oni's here to chip in too. Good on him so far, I figured a gangster wouldn't be seen dead in this company. And there's that demon-blooded kid, Sekai-han it sounds like? I stifle a little laugh when I first glance his way.

"Tachibana-han, Kazuma-han, Inuki! Fancy seeing you three here. And I see some other folks have joined in too. Nice to meet'cha, the name's Katsura Keiko. Just a visiting friend of the Tachibanas here to help out too."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Yukimura Tomoe

With a baseball cap and her hair tied back in a bun, Tomoe is dressed casually - not that unusual for those who see her outside of work, but it's the kind of look she hopes will throw regulars off... even if it's only at fifty feet or farther. The cap's the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, because of course it is. Hands in her pockets, she walks up near Ryuu. There's a smile and a wave, and she looks over. "Uncle said I should show up." Which could be a matter of getting Tomoe a little more involved, or having her keep an eye on everything that's going on. Probably both. She's got good eyes in more than one sense, at least. "Kind of a bigger crowd than I was expecting. I recognize a few?... is that the guy that works that the..." She trails off.

"I was expecting more family folks.", she concludes honestly with wide eyes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

"Afraid you got a crew more motley. Sakai Hajime. I'm mostly just here as muscle. I figure between the weird dieting, the food shortages, and now this mess with the farms, something that messes around with food and hunger has wandered into our territory. Hopefully one something."

He glances over to the shrine maiden, now using the proper honorifics.

"Tachibana-san! Far as I know, you're the expert on yōkai. Any leads or ideas? And uh, anyone else feel free to pitch in too if you got anything."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

Ah, there it is. He's being nice to me now, because he wants me to do something for him. That's fine, I'm back on familiar footing there.

"Well," I begin, thinking about what I know so far, "there's several possibilities, and it may be too soon to say for sure..."

int+occult, rolled four successes. Second roll is the 10, third roll is the nines.
[10:16] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 44 (6d10=8, 6, 4, 10, 9, 7)
[10:16] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 9 (1d10=9)
[10:17] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 8 (2d10=4, 4)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's a few yokai out there that obsess over food. Gaki, or hungry ghosts, are eternally suffering starvation according to Buddhist tradition. Their sins in life determine how they starve, but all of them do. The gaki mostly live in the realm of Gakido, an eternal realm of hunger, but it is possible that one escaped and could cause problems like this. The same is true of the kowai, a ghost that was once a gluttonous person and has now been twisted into monstrous form - they resemble foxes, and will eat anything. Mostly you find them around food carts.

Not all spirits that could cause this are ghosts, however. Some are inukami - Inuki is an inukami, but not the kind that possesses people. This dog-gods, however, do sometimes act as possessing spirits, causing their host to become consumed by gluttony. It would not be a huge jump to have them spread this to many people. It would be depressing to deal with, however - legend has it that an inugami is created when a dog is buried to its neck and starved to death, then has their head severed and buried at a crossroads. This binds the spirit to its master. (Inuki, fortunately, was liberated long ago and does not recall this cruelty.)

On a more corporeal level, there is the futakuchi-onna, which your teachings disagree on. Grandmother has said both can be true. One teaching holds that they are shapeshifting mountain hags, or yamauba, while another claims they are shapeshifting spiders, or kumo. Yet another claims it's a form of curse laid on a woman. The form, however, is agreed on: a woman whose hair is like tentacles and who has, on the back of her head, a ravenous and many-fanged mouth that will devour anything. In all cases, the futakuchi-onna is a punishment for greed, miserliness and so on. It seems likely that such a creature could inspire its own hunger in others, but it'd be really hard to hide that, wouldn't it?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

"...and whatever it may be we'll need to look for signs. Gaki would explain this, or kowai - we would want to look for fox-like creatures near food carts, or hungry ghosts. It could be an inugami--" I pause to scratch Inuki behind the ears as he perks up, "--but I hope not. We'd see people barking like dogs, or complaining of chest pains, and if anyone possessed by an inugami should die, the body would have claw marks. It could also be a futakuchi-onna, causing her own hunger to spread, which would lead back to her if we can trace a common contact to her."

"It's not much to go on but that should give some ideas of what to look for."

I feel suddenly awkward and shy, aware that everyone is listening to my opinion, not wanting to be the center of attention, and kneel abruptly to pet Inuki, letting my hair fall to hide my face.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya scratches around Inuki's neck a bit as the rest of the crew arrives. "Okay, sorry, li'l guy, that's enough. Any more and I'll have to charge ya." She climbs back to her feet, holding her convenience store bag out for Hajime to take the meat bun and coffee she picked up for him. "Snacks," she says. She spares a glance Watanabe's way, squints, and then looks back to Hajime. "You know this guy? I only brought three of each, he can't have one." Her dubious glance passes over Yukimura as well, and then softens to hear Keiko introduce herself. "You're a friend of Granny Tachibana? Nice to meet you. I'm Izumi Sakuya; I go to school with Tachibana-san and Sakkun." Her smile betrays teeth that are more like fangs.

"Anyway, I really don't know a lot about what's going down this time," she says. She fishes two cans of coffee out of her bag, stops herself from tossing one to Akemi and hands it to her instead, and drops the bag to sweep into a corner with her foot. "But I remember the folks visiting the shrine said what, the mountains and the beachside? Thinking about backroads connecting there, if we were to kick around the dirt and go looking to scare it up, we'd probably want to haunt around, uh..."

Wits + Streetwise, three successes
[18:29] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 27 (4d10=8, 9, 8, 2)

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

"Yukimura-san," Watanabe says. "I thought so, too." And then, deciding that it's better to be up-front with things: "Boss told me to keep you out of trouble." As Keiko approaches, Watanabe glances at her, trying to disguise a feeling of sudden discomfort by adjusting his tie. Katsura Keiko. Again, a strange familiarity he can't place.

If he recognizes Keiko as anything other than someone giving him inexplicable deja vu, he gives no sign.

As Akemi runs down her list of suspects, Watanabe pays full attention. "If it's actual ghosts, can we get an exorcist?" He figures that's something Akemi would know, but Akemi seems a little overcome with nervousness. Watanabe looks down at the dog as Akemi pets it. It seems like a good dog.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The fastest way to get around the more rural outskirts of the town would be the old forest paths. The Matsumae set them up in the Edo period to trade with the Ainu, and a few still exist now as history walks or nature paths. They aren't well maintained for the most part. There's storage sheds and old buildings back there - abandoned little farm plots, a few old experimental stills gone to rot from before Nikka distillery was set up.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

I shake my head, not looking up. "We don't need to...I can see ghosts, and I can perform exorcisms if they turn out to be the cause..."

I trail off. It feels strange to tell a stranger so openly about seeing spirits, but it's important to mention one further detail:

"...but I may need time to determine the right way to do it, so if we find ghosts we shouldn't agitate them unduly."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

"...probably haunt around the old nature trails. The ones that span the forest and the old town, you know, that loop around behind the old teke house?" Every town, it seems like, has an infamous abandoned place like the teke house. Most at least know why theirs is called what it is, but there was definitely no family called Teke that ever lived there or anything in Yoichi-cho. "If it's coming down between the mountains and the beach, and if it leaves anything behind where it goes, that's probably where we'd find it."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

I nod silently at the others as they formulate their plans, only getting about half of what they're saying.

"If this thing is affecting the whole town, it's gotta be some serious business. Yokai don't tend to affect this many people at once."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Tomoe just snorts at little at Watanbe's reminder. "More trouble than necessary, anyway.", she says with a smirk.

She looks over to Tachibana, speaking casually, "We don't need to jump to grandma stories right away. Could be a bug, or something in the water. People seem to be reacting differently. Maybe there's something to that." She holds up a pair of open hands. "Not saying you're wrong, it could be a grandma story, but... if it's affecting people in the city, it's got to be getting to people somehow, right?" She sighs, as if about it admit something distasteful. "Also probably need somebody to hit up all the old newspapers. See if this has happened before. Monsters tend not to be a new thing, right? They all tend to have names and stories because this isn't the first time."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Tachibana Akemi

I cringe at the phrase "grandma stories". I am glad that I am already crouched and petting Inuki, because it means nobody can see the sudden well of tears.

So I'm not even to be taken seriously...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai

"Hey now, more to those grandma stories then you might think. There's a lot of weird stuff out there, and your grandmas were probably right about a few things. If it was just some stomach flu or bug, I would think it would've been caught. You're right, though - we should check to see if this happened before. Anyone here good at studying? I figure someone checks that out, a few of us hit up those nature trails, and uh...well, any other ideas? Like I said. I'm the muscle."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

"Good initiative, volunteer," Sakuya says, holding a thumbs up with a grin out to Tomoe. "You want to take the nerd with you and hit the books, then? I'll grab Sakkun and Tachibana-chan and hit the back trails, if anybody asks questions it can be a school thing." She just kind of assumes cartoon boy knows computers. She flicks a clean white phone out of the pockets of her leather jacket, holding out the wireless sensor. "Guess we should exchange numbers, too, just in case. If nothing happens we can meet back up here tomorrow and compare notes."

As she rounds the group with her phone collecting numbers, she pauses at Keiko and Ryuu, and points with a finger from her free hand between them. "I don't really know you guys well enough yet, but yer welcome in, more the merrier. I guess you'd know which side of this you'd fit in better'n I would."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Katsura Keiko

I lean over to scratch Inuki's neck, whispering to Tachibana-han when I notice her heart's not into it. "Hey, keep your chin up. Remember what that granny o' yours would do if someone doubted her." A half-serious look of horror ought to seal the point.

Izumi-han's plan is something I've been nodding along to the whole time. The young lady's got sense, and a good eye for spirit-hunting. After standing up I draw back my shoulders a litte, flip out my cracked smart-phone and get to talking. "Well I don't wanna keep two young folks apart, 'specially if the 'Boss' won't have it." Should I be flicking my head, a little white grin on my face, towards the enforcer and his hostess friend? Maybe not, but I do anyway. "And a back-country hike ought to be good for my sinuses. I think I'll join you kids."

Breathing down the other Otodo's neck would be pretty risky at this point. This does mean I'll have to ask Kazuma-han what he's like, but I'm pretty sure I've figured out that guy's language at this point.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Ryuu, research? Yeah, that's not happening.

Watanabe produces his phone, flips it open, and distributes his number as necessary. "Well," he says, and that's about as far as he gets before Keiko interjects. God dammit. "I don't think the library is going to be that dangerous," Watanabe says, "but if someone needs to, I will." Even if it involves babysitting an otaku, ugh. "You keep an eye out, too. I was in the old teke house once, and I've never been back."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Y-Yeah, I'll research. I think my brilliant mind will be of better use there!"

The truth is, I don't wanna have to risk getting in a fight until I know what I'm dealing with. At least I'd be spending time with Tomoe-chan!

But I'd also be spending time with the Watanabe guy. Yeesh.

"So, let's get to it, I guess!"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I blink away the tears as almostforthefirsttimeinmylife the others show their various kindnesses. I say nothing, only nodding in agreement with Izumi-san's plan. I was sure I could help in researching, but what I was NOT sure was that any of the others could see the spirits we would be looking for. So, while I would be useful researching, I would be indispensable on our search.

Also, Izumi-san would be in this group, and the noisy otaku would not.

Inuki bumps against my legs as I stand up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Walking over, Tomoe leans slightly as she speaks to Akemi more quietly. "Hey, sorry, I didn't mean anything by it. If you're right, I promise you can totally cuss me out later, okay?" She smiles gently, and stands up, making her way over to her "partners".

She looks over to Kazuma, putting her hands into her coat. Thankfully, dealing with... eccentric guys is a professional skill for her. "You think you remember the names or faces of anybody cleaning up the convenience mart? Knowing who's affected and how might be important if we can figure that out."

To Ryuu, she adds thoughtfully, "Also, there's a farm that needs looking into, too, the old guys are hung up on that, right? Something about their cabbages?"

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Thank you, Tomoe. "Yeah," Ryuu says, "They told me the place was picked clean, but it's worth a look."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Let me try to remember..."

You usually learn to ignore the specifics of who customers are when you work retail, but maybe there was someone notable who had come...

Presence + Socialize
3d10: 22 [3d10=8, 9, 5]

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Off the top of his head, Shotaro can think of a few customers that have had problems. Keeping track of them isn't easy...but there's a few that stood out. One of the cute high school girls - what was her name again? Tamami? Probably Tamami. She came in near starving a few times. That was weird. A few of her classmates - not so cute, harder to remember. All girls. And...old mister Takahiro. That one's hard to forget because each trip includes a ten minute complaint about his day. Well, usually. Last few times, he's been too hungry and started eating before he ranted. His wife had the same problem, come to think of it.

Huh.

So, we're going with research team to the library, and investigation team to the creepy old house. Is anyone going to the farm, or is it just two-way split?

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
I think Tomoe and Ryuu are going to the farm, but otherwise, yeah, that's the split.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pretty much, I thought we'd swerve our branch of the investigation to the farm while the evidence is ready to be freshly picked. If Kazuma wants to come along, he can, or he can get started at the library!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Library

Yoichi-cho's public library (or toshokan) is quite nice, really. The school library's not open this late, but the public one is! The library takes up two full floors, with tables spread throughout for people to study at, plus cubbies with computers. This late, most of the people there are homeless or students cramming for a test - there's not many people who need to go to libraries this late. Besides you, that is. The stacks are intimidating, and the shadows long, but they won't close for a good four hours yet. The librarians are helpful...but the real question is, what to research? If the others can get you some more information on what you're dealing with, it'll be much easier to figure out.

Research will be Intelligence + Occult...as an extended roll, with each roll representing half an hour of research. At the moment, these rolls will be done at -5 due to lack of starting point - there's too much you don't know yet. I suggest, then, that you serve as cell phone advice for the other teams as they gather information, making research rolls once they can provide you with some better places to start. However, you can make instant-action Int+Academics and Int+Occult rolls to help them at while you wait! Just remember...the lbirary closes in four hours.

The Teke House

The teke house squats low and menacing along the trail. While the yard around it is overgrown, ivy has not overtaken the house, nor have the mountain trees reclaimed the yard itself. Rather, it is full of grass and thorns, while the black house stares out at the trail, its windows broken and half-boarded. The house's shadow is long, longer than its low height seems like it should cast. Off near the back is the remnant of an old garden, now overgrown with weeds, but with a few rough wildflowers still blooming amidst the thornbushes and long grass.

Students have long been using the teke house for tests of courage - remain inside for more than an hour, usually. Most don't make it. Something about the inside is...wrong. There are strange skittering noises, perhaps rats, but they come from strange places. High in the walls, sometimes, or just behind you. Shadows fall strangely within, and common schoolhouse rumor is that the place has a secret room inside that no one has ever seen.

The Cabbage Farm

The farm is owned by Mizutani Heihachi, a man in his early 40s with a pair of teenage sons. He meets you as you arrive. "The fields are this way." And they are a show of devastation. The plants are a mess - some pulled up from the ground and scattered about, others clearly devoured but with roots intact. Not one cabbage remains. The field stretches out a good distance, with the forest beginning beyond it. A tractor sits idle by the side of the field.

"It was like this this morning. Last night we heard noises, but I assumed it was a bear." Heihachi shakes his head. "This was my harvest! I have a few other fields a little drive away, so we're not totally ruined, but...this was my prize field. Those others, they won't be nearly enough. They're too small."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

The teke house

Sakuya puts a hand to her hip, looking up at the old scratch-house with eyes that grow distant. "It's not a great place to take shelter," she says, almost offhand. "It's dark inside, but the roof still leaks, and it's cold. If you need to go running you can hide out there for a time, but if you're stuck outside for the night, you're better off at the bus stop down the road." Memories from before she was taken in.

She takes a wide step over the fallen remains of a yard fence, but doesn't proceed far through the brush before something distracts her. She sniffs the air and crouches, bowlegged, to scan her eyes around the weeds and thornbushes.

Wits + Animal Ken to notice any signs of unusual wild animal behavior around the house lately.
[20:59] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 20 (4d10=7, 3, 1, 9)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I'm not afraid of ghosts - I have seen them my whole life, and trained to deal with them Still, I am glad Inuki is here with me. And Izumi-san and the others, too. A cautious scan reveals no spirits here anyway, at least not obviously.

"I don't see any sign of anything supernatural from outside," I whisper, then realize I'm whispering. Inuki darts forward to sniff at something, then returns to my side.

"Are you looking for tracks?" I ask, unsure what Izumi-san is doing, but trying to stay close by.

Also rolling Wits+Occult for any supernatural signs...
[11:17] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 27 (6d10=6, 1, 4, 4, 4, 8)

Oh.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

The farm

Watanabe stands next to the distraught farmer as he shows the pair his field, smoke curling up from his cigarette. "Anybody been out here since?" he says, "You, your workers?" Sometimes people just don't want to be caught--usually for good reason, if Ryuu's involved in the matter--and he's learned to pick up a trail. "I mean, whatever it was has to have left prints behind /somewhere/." This is something the cops would do, but the boss made his call. "Maybe teeth marks or something." He picks up a cabbage, and starts inspecting it, thoughtfully. "Worth a look, anyway." Once Heihachi's told him who (if anyone) has been here, Watanabe moves out to inspect the surviving cabbages, the remains of their fellows, and the surrounding area.

Tomoe, Ryuu figures, can probably comfort the poor guy as well as get more information. His life has to suck right now.

Wits + Investigation to try and see if whatever wrecked the field left any evidence behind.

<skybot> Donut: 22 (4d10=4, 9, 5, 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

My trusty 'sports bag' swings by my side as we hike. It's as heavy as ever, but one look at this haunted house and I can say I'm just being prepared. Although Izumi-han's short-selling it just a little bit as shelter. It's got a roof and walls and everything.

"I've never been one for bus stops. Too windy. For a house, at least, scrounging up a tarp's always helped with leaks n' cold..." Well, Izumi-han's busy sniffing around right now so I amble closer to the house. Looking over the walls and garden, nodding sagely to myself like I'm some kinda realtor. I figure whole generations of ayakashi must have rooted around here; what have they left behind?

Wits+Occult for Supernatural Signs (4d10): 2 successes

• Locked thread