Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Is that one song from the 2013 teaser still going to be in this game? I loved that one. Can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PXba8X6N8

There's several fan-made extended versions floating around on YouTube made from a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Movement Skill Tree To Determine How Good You Are At Running And Jumping And You Can Run And Jump Better If You Buy It

What.

What.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

chumbler posted:

What.

What.

Yeahhhh, definitely the biggest downside for me right now. From what I've seen from the gameplay vids, it's stuff like "Do more damage with you attacks" and "Gain more meter for special moves" kind of thing. There is a page titled "Movement" but I really hope the actual actions aren't unlocks and are just there for listing's sake. At the very least, have it all be unlocked by the time you get through the tutorial levels.

On the subject of more disappointing news, the game is delayed again!

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/mec...05&sf45807251=1

June 7th for North America, and June 8th for Europe.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The drop roll is an unlock, if that tells you anything about how they're handling it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

PunkBoy posted:

:dice: :argh:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Orv posted:

The drop roll is an unlock, if that tells you anything about how they're handling it.

I think it's already unlocked? The person playing it screws up, but I think they were supposed to do the drop roll here in the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfvCPV2vEw&t=329s

Unless the drop roll is an upgrade of that, in that case yeah that stinks.

EDIT: Yeahhh, drop roll looks to be an upgrade. That's lame as hell. You start out with kind of like a scramble to keep yourself moving, it looks like, then I guess you turn it into a roll with the upgrade.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 21, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

isn't rolling and poo poo like unlocked almost immediately? the kneejerk of a skill tree is laughable, you'll probably have everything you need in the first hour.

Sucks poo poo that this was delayed again, already was disappointed it moved from February but this is probably to avoid a Mad Max/MGSV same-day launch situation with Overwatch, which would kill it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

isn't rolling and poo poo like unlocked almost immediately? the kneejerk of a skill tree is laughable, you'll probably have everything you need in the first hour.

I'm definitely hoping that's the case.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Sucks poo poo that this was delayed again, already was disappointed it moved from February but this is probably to avoid a Mad Max/MGSV same-day launch situation with Overwatch, which would kill it.

Oh, I forgot about the Overwatch launch. Yeah, delay makes sense then.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 21, 2016

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Collect 300 SkillOrbs to unlock the ability to play a better game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

elf help book posted:

The only actions I didn't see in the tutorial was the drop-roll (you get the scramble, and it does look like it unlocks early) and the mid movement turning (which I can sort of understand of needing to build to that because that poo poo was confusing at first). Faith was still wall-running, vaulting, and sliding like in the first game.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh come on there's nothing wrong with adding some minor progression to a game :rolleyes:

It's not like they're locking off jumps or wallruns.

At the same time I agree there isn't much reason for it to be there...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Strategic Tea posted:

Oh come on there's nothing wrong with adding some minor progression to a game :rolleyes:

It's not like they're locking off jumps or wallruns.

At the same time I agree there isn't much reason for it to be there...

Yeah, like this just seems like the obligatory RPG lite unlock/upgrade mechanic that they're putting in every open world game these days and lots of non open world games too (Mad Max, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Shadow Warrior, Sleeping Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, Assassin's Creed etc etc). Its pretty dumb and pointless but I've never seen goons act like its a game ruiner before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, like this just seems like the obligatory RPG lite unlock/upgrade mechanic that they're putting in every open world game these days and lots of non open world games too (Mad Max, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Shadow Warrior, Sleeping Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, Assassin's Creed etc etc). Its pretty dumb and pointless but I've never seen goons act like its a game ruiner before.

It isn't, it's just utterly pointless, especially given the pseudo-open nature of the game this time around. If the game sucks it won't have anything to do with it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I agree that the kneejerk reaction to the skill tree is a little overblown. While they could certainly do away with the tree without detracting from the game, skill progression is the current state of game design.

I'm sure it will be like MGS5 where you can beat the game without upgrades, though they'll make the game easier, when in previous games (PW aside) you had your entire skillset immediately and the only progression was more health.

If you're still salty about the existence of a skill tree, think about it as a plot device. Faith has been in jail for awhile so it's only natural her skills have deteriorated. By getting back to running you can improve your skills and become a super runner again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people wanted bigger environments to gently caress around in, no weapon usage, and less linear progression. looks like the demos have all of that covered. does anyone actually have beta codes for this? I was curious to hear how the game looks or feels on a console. I've heard 40 to 60fps on XBone?

I forgot if they made a point of this but I remember EA and DICE saying you could pretty much create your own time trials and poo poo so you could just jump around forever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

skorbs

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I forgot if they made a point of this but I remember EA and DICE saying you could pretty much create your own time trials and poo poo so you could just jump around forever.

I think one of the dev diaries covers this and I think this is a big plus to the open world, assuming it has enough variety and is large enough to handle a lot of unique paths. I hope that they catch any movement bugs that could tilt the playing field like that air push move to get you instantly to max speed in the first game. I could never get that down.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

PunkBoy posted:

Yeahhhh, definitely the biggest downside for me right now. From what I've seen from the gameplay vids, it's stuff like "Do more damage with you attacks" and "Gain more meter for special moves" kind of thing. There is a page titled "Movement" but I really hope the actual actions aren't unlocks and are just there for listing's sake. At the very least, have it all be unlocked by the time you get through the tutorial levels.

Oh dear, isn't that the week of E3? That doesn't bode well for the game if they want to bury it :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

double post.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

elf help book posted:

Collect 300 SkillOrbs to unlock the ability to play a better game or buy 3000 Gold Skillorbs from the Origin® marketplace for $29.99 and unlock your favorite Mirror's Edge™ skills and skins right now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Is that one song from the 2013 teaser still going to be in this game? I loved that one. Can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PXba8X6N8

There's several fan-made extended versions floating around on YouTube made from a couple years ago.

It seems like the theme for Catalyst changed at some point to this. Both themes are really good, and I hope they're both used. It'd also be nice to get the original's in this one somewhere.

I don't quite get the negative reactions to some aspects of the game, like the skill tree. All the core elements that made the first Mirror's Edge great (aesthetic, soundtrack, running, and general plot themes) seem to be back in their entirety. The thing that got the biggest criticism from the first one was removed. What else do people want?

Nichael fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 21, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sankis posted:

Oh dear, isn't that the week of E3? That doesn't bode well for the game if they want to bury it :(

Dunno, it could be that or they could do the thing where they go "hey are you hyped by the presentation well it's out now as of this moment on stage here today buy a copy on the way out yo"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mirror's Edge List O'Cats

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sankis posted:

Not at all, it's just before E3 (which starts like the 12th or 13th of June).

Been reading some great impressions of the beta, including one about the moveset/skill tree poo poo if you're still worried about it:

quote:

So the skill tree; I was able to unlock a new ability every 30 minutes of playtime. It's a pretty good pace for unlocks. You should be able to get all the movement abilities within 3-4 hours of playtime. The added a "shift" move which gives a short burst of speed in a given direction. you can use it to avoid enemies or to reach your top speed faster after a clamber or hard landing. You can also roll cancel your slides, this could have some high level applications. They also added a quick attack that lets you hit an enemy while keeping all your speed. It's main purpose isn't to fight but to actually hold onto your momentum better. When dropping from a large height you would usually roll however with the quick hit you can goomba stomp an enemy and instantly run away at full speed. This is easily my favorite addition to the game.

Overall sounds really great and you should have your basic moveset upgraded to standard stuff fairly quickly.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

New Addition: Faith Parcels. A randomized card pack with exclusive temporary upgrades to improve Faith's running skills. Get the jump on your friend's leaderboard times! Only $2.99 for one Faith Parcel. $9.99 for 4 - best value.

Orv
May 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

New Addition: Faith Parcels. A randomized card pack with exclusive temporary upgrades to improve Faith's running skills. Get the jump on your friend's leaderboard times! Only $2.99 for one Faith Parcel. $9.99 for 4 - best value.

Shut up or they'll hear you.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i dont want to collect poo poo i want to run

There were hidden packages in the first game. That said, they seemed wrong and antithetical to the main game of Mirror's Edge.

I can totally see a corporate espionage parkour ninja game where you need to get into a place and steal/interact with a number of things before leaving -- preferably without being seen.

Not related to previous points: I hope there's an optional chase game mode where you lose security guys by outpacing them -- think NFS: Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit on foot with parkour. You learn the layout, shortcuts and where deployable obstacles are to slow down or stop pursuit.

Examples:
  • Detach a wire rope line and use it to swing across a street to another building that they can't reach.
  • Collapse a scaffold across an alley.
  • Detach a tension line after riding it.
  • Catch a ride on top of an elevator to quickly gain elevation and break line-of-sight
  • Drop down onto a commuter train

Heck, I don't know. I think there's two cool ideas there that we won't see in this game, but I still want to play this. Even enough to download Origin onto my gaming rig again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Not at all, it's just before E3 (which starts like the 12th or 13th of June).

Been reading some great impressions of the beta, including one about the moveset/skill tree poo poo if you're still worried about it:

Overall sounds really great and you should have your basic moveset upgraded to standard stuff fairly quickly.

What if instead of having to wait for 3 or 4 hours for no reason to do cool fun stuff I could just do the cool fun stuff from the start?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 22, 2016

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It looks they made the main character better looking this time.

I couldn't find another picture but this is enough.The first Faith from the first game looks like a strong average woman and definitely no glamour model. More what I'd expect a gymnast to look like.

This one though could pass as a model and I also appreciate the little cleavage there.

This reminds me of those horrible mods where some idiots were trying to make her look more attractive from the first game. I guess this time that side won out and this is what we get.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DropsySufferer posted:

This reminds me of those horrible mods where some idiots were trying to make her look more attractive from the first game. I guess this time that side won out and this is what we get.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't had this post sooner

MinibarMatchman posted:

the kneejerk of a skill tree is laughable

As it turns out, some goons don't like to admit how closely their posting resembles that of the average NeoGaffer

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 22, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

What if instead of having to wait for 3 or 4 hours for no reason to do cool fun stuff I could just do the cool fun stuff from the start?

I don't think you're going to be waiting around in a blank space doing nothing for the first few hours, what does this even mean. gradually upgrading a character with poo poo is nothing new, and needing to "buy" worthwhile skills for poo poo isn't new either. Revengeance and Wonderful 101 were both games that basically made you buy things like a dodge or a parry but they came just as quick as people are getting whatever basic rolls or jumps they need in the beta.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DropsySufferer posted:

It looks they made the main character better looking this time.

I couldn't find another picture but this is enough.The first Faith from the first game looks like a strong average woman and definitely no glamour model. More what I'd expect a gymnast to look like.

This one though could pass as a model and I also appreciate the little cleavage there.

I think you're really stretching here, also lol at the idea that Faith in the first game was meant to look like an average, fit woman.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't think you're going to be waiting around in a blank space doing nothing for the first few hours, what does this even mean. gradually upgrading a character with poo poo is nothing new, and needing to "buy" worthwhile skills for poo poo isn't new either. Revengeance and Wonderful 101 were both games that basically made you buy things like a dodge or a parry but they came just as quick as people are getting whatever basic rolls or jumps they need in the beta.

Having to buy dodge and parry in those games was also indefensibly stupid and widely called out as such. There's no reason at all to have gradual progression in this kind of game. It's bizarre that anyone would defend it, and if "It's been done before" is the best you've got I'm not sure why you're trying. Why bother putting in something like that that people are at best neutral about?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 22, 2016

surc
Aug 17, 2004

God dammit I've been waiting for this game for 8 years and it's going to be lovely with combat and rpg elements

E: And then EA will think nobody wants a running game :(

surc fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 22, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I watched the 30 minutes of gameplay and I am pretty hype :shobon:

sorry if I am ruining your hobby

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

Having to buy dodge and parry in those games was also indefensibly stupid and widely called out as such. There's no reason at all to have gradual progression in this kind of game. It's bizarre that anyone would defend it, and if "It's been done before" is the best you've got I'm not sure why you're trying. Why bother putting in something like that that people are at best neutral about?

not disagreeing it's stupid but it's also such a tiny thing to get upset about? but people have already made up their minds that it'll be a colossal piece of satanic poo poo so whatever, enjoy neogaf

surc
Aug 17, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

not disagreeing it's stupid but it's also such a tiny thing to get upset about? but people have already made up their minds that it'll be a colossal piece of satanic poo poo so whatever, enjoy neogaf

Mirror's Edge was a great game with some flaws, and instead of fixing those flaws to make the game people hoped for out of Mirror's Edge 2, they introduced new flaws.

Also, lol at "People weren't convinced to agree with me by my extremely nuanced and detailed 'but it's actually good' argument? whatever, plebs :smug:"

E: The thread is like 2 pages long, I'm sure somebody else will come in to defend this game none of us have played yet against the horror that is people thinking it looks bad.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 22, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

surc posted:

Mirror's Edge was a great game with some flaws, and instead of fixing those flaws to make the game people hoped for out of Mirror's Edge 2, they introduced new flaws.

Also, lol at "People weren't convinced to agree with me by my extremely nuanced and detailed 'but it's actually good' argument? whatever, plebs :smug:"

yes sorry I actually tried to detail things that were in the game instead of coming into the thread loving crying how it will be a poo poo rpg game. if you've made up your mind then that's fine, god bless

quote:

E: The thread is like 2 pages long, I'm sure somebody else will come in to defend this game none of us have not played yet against the horror that is people thinking it looks bad.

I just got the beta code this morning and will probably try to post videos/details of how it plays tomorrow, maybe it will be garbage, who knows but at least it will be rooted in some real gametime. Don't know if anyone else here has a code but they are sending them out today.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 22, 2016

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

surc posted:

God dammit I've been waiting for this game for 8 years and it's going to be lovely with combat and rpg elements

E: And then EA will think nobody wants a running game :(

That's okay, the first Mirror's Edge was a lovely running game with lovely combat and no RPG elements and it still sold fair to middling next to other big releases. People will probably buy the game on the name alone and the cry about EA later to add more value per dollar spent. It's an experience that only EA can provide, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

chumbler posted:

Depending on how much they lock out to start, how fast the upgrades come and such, it might play out like a tutorial and help people acclimate instead of just being thrown in with a whole toolbox full of things they don't know how to use. We'll have to see. And maybe there will be a new game+ so you can go back and clear the early missions ( they should really call them "runs" this time around ) using the crazy moves that you didn't have unlocked yet. That's basically how the first one worked without the unlock system -- your second playthrough you'd know that you could do crazy aerial-turn-and-kick maneuvers that were technically possible but not covered yet.

Again, we'll have to see how it goes in the beta and when the game comes out. Speaking of...

MinibarMatchman posted:

I just got the beta code this morning and will probably try to post videos/details of how it plays tomorrow, maybe it will be garbage, who knows but at least it will be rooted in some real gametime. Don't know if anyone else here has a code but they are sending them out today.

Yup, just got my code and also a "Friend" code.

Lacking friends in any meaningul fashion, I give the code to the thread.

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Edit: Claimed.

psivamp fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread