Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

I'd kind of expect them not to, in a way. The Mirror's Edge team has seemingly been really happy with what became of Mirror's Edge speedrunning with all the little engine tricks and exploits, so I'd be surprised if they didn't leave some of those sorts of things in, or even intentionally make new ones. Though I guess multiplayer leader boards makes a different sort of concern than weird little speedrun tricks.

They're still in. I'd recommend learning them, they're not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

not gonna lie, this is my most anticipated game of the year. I really hope they nail the landing since this will be the last chance for mirrors edge to make an impact.

Unfortunately DICE hasn't bought the roll upgrade yet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kibayasu posted:

Unfortunately DICE hasn't bought the roll upgrade yet.

Wait, the roll isn't a default move? how much upgrading will I need to just run and have fun in the city?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, the roll isn't a default move? how much upgrading will I need to just run and have fun in the city?

You have some kind of "preserve momentum after a fall" move at the start of the game, but you can upgrade it into a better version that carries more of your momentum. AFAIK you have most of the basic moveset you need at the start of the game and you get enough upgrades early on that any basic stuff you need to buy comes pretty quick.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
It's worth noting you'll have all of the relevant movement upgrades within an hour or two. It's just so that you can learn them one move at a time.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Is it confirmed that you start the main game with the skills the beta starts with? Or will you need to unlock some of those too? Seemed like the beta started with 3 rows of movement skills unlocked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Is it confirmed that you start the main game with the skills the beta starts with? Or will you need to unlock some of those too? Seemed like the beta started with 3 rows of movement skills unlocked.

all of those moves are basic poo poo like sliding and jumping. quite a few games do this pointless poo poo now for some reason, like AC syndicate wherein the first row of skills was just your default moves.

Al-Saqr posted:

You unlock the two other basic things, rolling and 180 turn for walljumps, in the first hour or so just from the first 1 or 2 missions plus whatever collectable stuff you run into. everything else you unlock in this game looks like either combat things that you don't even really need at the moment, or additional boosts like "can wallrun twice in a row by jumping betwixt walls"

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Agoat posted:

It's worth noting you'll have all of the relevant movement upgrades within an hour or two. It's just so that you can learn them one move at a time.

Not even an hour. I had the quickturn and roll within a half hour of roaming around, and the coil within an hour of total playtime. That's everything you had from the start of the original game available to you while you're still finding your feet and doing tutorial missions.

The whole upgrade system feels like they wanted to make you stronger in fights as the game progresses, hence the bonus damage to enemy types, but they felt it was probably too light with just that so they stripped some of the non-essential movement abilities and added them to the skill tree. I doubt it was their intention to lock some of the movement abilities from the get-go, rather a consequence of their approach in other areas of the design.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

New Mirror's edge looks good, plays just like the first one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really like the idea of being able to dodge bullets as long as you keep doing sweet tricks. That was the problem with running from the cops in the first one. You really couldn't do anything to avoid getting shot once in a while. It usually didn't get you killed because they were such bad shots that you would rarely get hit, but if there were a bunch of dudes with machine guns sometimes you just died from bad luck.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

all of those moves are basic poo poo like sliding and jumping. quite a few games do this pointless poo poo now for some reason, like AC syndicate wherein the first row of skills was just your default moves.

One of the many lovely things we can blame the excellent batman games for.

edit: remember when asylum came out and we were all 'gee I wish all third person action games had this fighting system'. whooooops.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 25, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Walrus posted:

One of the many lovely things we can blame the excellent batman games for.

edit: remember when asylum came out and we were all 'gee I wish all third person action games had this fighting system'. whooooops.

how many games got it right though? granted Mordor straight up aped well since it's a WB game, and Mad Max made it even more brutal (another WB game) I can't think of any other games that actually made it fun.

Anyways the combat in this is pretty quick to the point where if you need to pause and fight instead of "wall run to a takedown" then you did things wrong. I only had trouble with the 2nd mission fight because the near-invisible glass in the offices kept messing me up.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really like the idea of being able to dodge bullets as long as you keep doing sweet tricks. That was the problem with running from the cops in the first one. You really couldn't do anything to avoid getting shot once in a while. It usually didn't get you killed because they were such bad shots that you would rarely get hit, but if there were a bunch of dudes with machine guns sometimes you just died from bad luck.

Focus shield pretty much addresses this directly. You're expected to get shot but it doesn't matter if you're going full speed.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm sure they do this just because they want you to have the skills menu as a reference for all the abilities you have, not just the ones you can unlock. The developers have said in interviews that one of the main reasons they included a skill tree was because unlocking an ability, particularly a more esoteric one that might not be immediately intuitive, encourages you to think about that ability and consider how to incorporate it into your movement instead of forgetting about it entirely as soon as the tutorial ends. And if that's the design goal, including your basic abilities in the unlock menu makes perfect sense; it might not be strictly necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have the information there in case you need it, and if you've been overlooking part of your moveset there's a chance you'll notice that move in the menu and think "oh, right, I should try doing that."

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Official theme song for Catalyst has been released! I love Chvrches so seeing them have a theme song for one of my favorite game series is amazing :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSRheLrB1uA

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
A podcast I like pointed out that this game seems to be trying hard to hit the notes of YA fiction that appeals to teenage women A la the Hunger games and that song really made that clear for me. I can't really think of any other AAA games do go for that kind of thing.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Wish they'd gotten Solar Fields to do it again

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

On first listen, I like it. I loved "Still Alive" by Lisa Miskovsky because it was pretty minimalist, like a lot of the game and still captured a lot of the feel of the game. The sound of "Warning Call" feels like it fits with the Solar Fields' music so I'm glad that the song fits aesthetically as well as thematically.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
It should have been Africa by Toto

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

khwarezm posted:

A podcast I like pointed out that this game seems to be trying hard to hit the notes of YA fiction that appeals to teenage women A la the Hunger games and that song really made that clear for me. I can't really think of any other AAA games do go for that kind of thing.

Yeah I picked up on that with that blog they did about the setting's history. You have the Communist Dystopia which got taken down by the Capitalist Dystopia and the Religious Dystopia.

Dunno what it is about dystopian SF and dystopian YA especially, but they love themselves some broad strokes. Doesn't mean it'll be bad though :)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Are you ready for more Mirror's Edge? Because you're getting more Mirror's Edge:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/26/mirrors-edge-tv-show-endemol-biggest-loser/

please be good please be good please be good

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are you ready for more Mirror's Edge? Because you're getting more Mirror's Edge:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/26/mirrors-edge-tv-show-endemol-biggest-loser/

please be good please be good please be good

There's definitely potential there. If this gets legs I hope that they focus on Faith and keep her Asian (probably a lot easier to do than if this were a big budget Hollywood undertaking). I don't think this would work if they tried setting it in any major city that exists in real life; a lot of the themes in Mirror's Edge involve the sterile nature of the city, both in terms of it's appearance and in the government's control over it. The first game seemed like it was set in Bizarro-Tokyo where suddenly English was the main language for 90% of the place. Maybe that could work?

Anyway, I hope Catalyst sells well so that they would be more inclined to follow through on this.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Only 8 days til launch! Here's the release trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6GQEtUREWY
The atrium area at 1:17 looks really neat. Hope this confirms that the different districts have a unique look and feel.

Also if you are subscribed to EA/Origin Access, you can try the game out on June 2nd (on Xbox One and PC respectively).

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 30, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

PunkBoy posted:

Only 8 days til launch! Here's the release trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6GQEtUREWY
The atrium area at 1:17 looks really neat. Hope this confirms that the different districts have a unique look and feel.

Also if you are subscribed to EA/Origin Access, you can try the game out on June 2nd (on Xbox One and PC respectively).

I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since this was first announced. I'm so hype!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Chris Carter at Destructoid gave his impressions after playing six hours of the game:

https://www.destructoid.com/impressions-mirror-s-edge-catalyst-365226.phtml

In summary, he found the story to be "horrible" but otherwise seemed quite positive about the game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Slate Action posted:

Chris Carter at Destructoid gave his impressions after playing six hours of the game:

In summary, he found the story to be "horrible" but otherwise seemed quite positive about the game.

Fortunately that was the case with the first game, so it's not a surprise. Those interstitial cutscenes were just...the worst.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Shoren posted:

I don't think this would work if they tried setting it in any major city that exists in real life; a lot of the themes in Mirror's Edge involve the sterile nature of the city, both in terms of it's appearance and in the government's control over it. The first game seemed like it was set in Bizarro-Tokyo where suddenly English was the main language for 90% of the place. Maybe that could work?
It's based on Singapore, the art team went there for inspiration and some of the building models from the original are copies of buildings there.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Slate Action posted:

So he doesn't pay any attention to the story and cutscenes, and we're supposed to believe his word that it's all horrible?

Gail Wynand posted:

It's based on Singapore, the art team went there for inspiration and some of the building models from the original are copies of buildings there.

Ah, I didn't know that! Makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it (including all the English).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the story of the first one was pretty stock and it will probably be the same thing for the second one, but as long as it runs well and looks good then I don't care. Demo felt nice so I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't even mind the collection stuff because in a world like this, they're actually fun to try and find while you're exploring the vertical areas.

By all means it seems like "Mirror's Edge but now bigger and better looking and you have a hubworld with other poo poo to do and now you don't use guns" which I think was at least most of what people wanted from a sequel. It will probably eventually be compared to the other, likely better action/rpg 1st-person games coming out later (Deus Ex, Dishonored) but it's still extremely cool and fun that Catalyst even exists.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Remind me, did the original Mirror's Edge highlight climbable items in red, in real time or were the objects themselves just "painted" red.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

Remind me, did the original Mirror's Edge highlight climbable items in red, in real time or were the objects themselves just "painted" red.

I wanna say both? You could disable it though either way. If they were painted red, then they had two textures to swap between, if it was a highlight then it turned off. But either way stuff was red but could be not red.

Unless you're asking if it was like an outline? No, they just painted the whole object solid red.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They changed color on the fly but it usually happened just before you'd be looking at them.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I've heard reports that the XBONE version has major framerate and texture loading problems. Hope you were planning to get the PC version!

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Slate Action posted:

I've heard reports that the XBONE version has major framerate and texture loading problems. Hope you were planning to get the PC version!

The beta had those issues for me on PC.

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day

Slate Action posted:

I've been playing the EA Access version and haven't noticed anything particularly strange other than on the NPCs (outside of cutscenes). It's like their faces don't switch when you get closer to them, so everyone has this fuzz thing going on. I'm only an hour in or so - maybe it could get worse later.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I can't wait to play this game I've been waiting to play for like 8 years. I plan to start playing it immediately when it comes out in less than 24 hours now. Then the moment I actually get my roommate in the same room as me I'm gonna try to force us to start recording so that I can maybe have a current/relevant LP on here.

I have touched the release day stove before and been burned by my favorite games, but I won't let that stop me from trying to enjoy myself. I really like this series and you can't bring me down.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Aquasnake posted:

I can't wait to play this game I've been waiting to play for like 8 years. I plan to start playing it immediately when it comes out in less than 24 hours now. Then the moment I actually get my roommate in the same room as me I'm gonna try to force us to start recording so that I can maybe have a current/relevant LP on here.

I have touched the release day stove before and been burned by my favorite games, but I won't let that stop me from trying to enjoy myself. I really like this series and you can't bring me down.

The beta was really good. I think you're in good hands this time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its out today isn't it?

*crickets*

Does it not come out until tonight or something? Huge lack of posts in this thread is pretty concerning.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Here's my pre-review: game is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ah okay it comes out tomorrow, so midnight, hence the lack of posts. (well, game's still not very popular it seems, due to lack of pre-release hype, but still)

Origin barked some kind of "mirror's edge comes out in 1 day!" last night so I thought it was today.

• Locked thread