Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Reviews should be out any minute now, game launches at midnight/tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's unlocked now for me but I'm getting wicked audio/video desync in cutscenes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

This thread reminded me to check on my pre-order and it turns out I bought it twice by accident. thanks thread!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Based on what I've read I suspect the game will get mediocre reviews (70 - 80 on Metacritic) and not be a big seller. The original was a niche game, and I don't think this one will cross over huge like EA clearly wants it to.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Oirigin is saying 1 day 21hrs on a countdown clock for me in Australia, bit harsh. But it reinforces my decision to never buy an origin game.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Steven Ruygrok, Examiner - 5/5

Chris Carter, Destructoid - 8.5

Arthur Gies, Polygon - 8.0

Samuel Roberts, PC Gamer - 78/100

Travis Northup, Gaming Trend - 70/100

Scott Butterworth, Gamespot - 7.0

Matt Whittaker, Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5

Peter Paras, Game Revolution - 3.5/5

Ryan McCaffrey, IGN - 6.8

Zhiqing Wan, Twinfinite - 3/5

Rich Stanton, Guardian - 3/5

Martin Robinson, Eurogamer - Not Recommended

Also Joe Parlock at Destructoid says the PC version runs fine.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 6, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Digital oceans means Europe waits longer yet again, but eh, not like I have time for it anyway.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Slate Action posted:

Also Joe Parlock at Destructoid says the PC version runs fine.

I dunno man, I changed video settings to low and I'm still getting stuttering and desync in cutscenes. Gameplay is fine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pre-ordered a physical copy of the game for like half price since I used trade-in credit from Uncharted 4. I was a huge fan of the first, and playing the beta really put me at ease because they nailed the feel of the first game. Can't wait to marathon some parkour action tomorrow.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Slate Action posted:

Based on what I've read I suspect the game will get mediocre reviews (70 - 80 on Metacritic) and not be a big seller. The original was a niche game, and I don't think this one will cross over huge like EA clearly wants it to.

I'm still wondering how we even got a sequel to begin with.

Mirror's Edge wasn't a particularly good game to begin with. I feel it just gets points with some folks for not being like your average shootmans fps, and instead was some sort of awkward first person platformer with the occasional really badly constructed combat sequences. It had a neat soundtrack, but lots of games these days have surprisingly listenable soundtracks, from big names devs to indy superstars. The visuals were intriguingly minimalistic, a disguise for otherwise very bland level design.

I'll probably still pick this up, maybe during a sale, because for all the problems that reviewers are talking about it still looks a hundred percent more fun than the previous game to actually run around in. I think the core problems have less to do with the ideas themselves, and more to do with DICE being DICE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I think the core problems have less to do with the ideas themselves, and more to do with DICE being DICE.

Oh undoubtedly. Its the only game EA can get DICE to even make that doesn't end with -Field.

The story sucking and lots of ideas being half baked are 100% :dice:

DICE are basically what ID used to be. They do really good technically impressive engines, and then they release generic FPS games which show off those engines. Do not expect anything in the way of narrative or revolutionary mechanics.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews seem pretty mixed as I expected but I liked the demo/beta very much and was impressed with how well it was running on PS4. I liked the first game a whole lot so if the new one has setpieces at least as good as the helicopter chase leading to the whole sewer sequence or that incredible unfinished tower climb en route to the sniper nest, I'll be good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The story sucking and lots of ideas being half baked are 100% :dice:
You have to try pretty hard to aim higher than 'Evil 'conspiracy' to train :siren: parkour cops:siren: and still miss.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
This may be a weird question, but like how many keymappings are there? And are you able to remap them? In this day and age every game should have 100% key remapping, but there is always that one game that wants you to play it their way.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Croccers posted:

You have to try pretty hard to aim higher than 'Evil 'conspiracy' to train :siren: parkour cops:siren: and still miss.

Look man, one of those parkour cops was your goofy looking best friend and her goofy looking haircut, that cuts deep

There are people out there who are legitimately upset that we're not seeing a continuation of the events in the first game, and I cannot grasp this.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Brief thoughts from a few hours with access

Runs fine, looks fine on medium settings on my 770 except for the odd random texture that's just appalling. Seems like a bug, isn't common, but IS common in the early settings. (It's all like, glowing decals that say SECTOR 7 that just look awful)

Free running is as fun as ever.

Melee combat is absolutely loving terrible looking. It would be fine because the actual physics and animation are all really nice, but for some reason bumping someone into someone else is about the most damaging thing you can do. It's not a case of "stagger two dudes so you can brain both of them" it's "both badguys elaborately clutch at each other, do a somersault, and then die" - also, mild taps will make people run for railings so they can somersault over them. It's all very goofy.

Plot seems awful even beyond the standards of the first game somehow.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How does the freeruning compare to Dying Light's? I thought that game did it very well, though the focus was more on, you know, zombie killing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Dunno, I never really got around to playing it.

What's weirding me out is the setting, it's very, very reminiscent of the way the syndicate reboot recently handled corporate futures. Notably, this isn't set in a recognisable america, it appears to be set in a nation ruled by conglomeration of corporades called Cascadia, where citizens are legally obligated to hold jobs with the corporates. Cascadia is at odds with another nation called Omnistat, whose deal I haven't figured out yet, but theres some stuff that implies to me that this isn't just future earth, it's future earth possibly centuries after some kind of cataclysmic war before it rebuilt into shiny happy bizarre corporate nightmare land. It might be kind of cool if all the plot wasn't so drat cackhanded.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The first game felt like they came up with the aesthetic first, then the gameplay, then wrote the story and characters in five minutes at the end. Clearly it's the same thing here.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

ShineDog posted:

What's weirding me out is the setting, it's very, very reminiscent of the way the syndicate reboot recently handled corporate futures. Notably, this isn't set in a recognisable america, it appears to be set in a nation ruled by conglomeration of corporades called Cascadia, where citizens are legally obligated to hold jobs with the corporates. Cascadia is at odds with another nation called Omnistat, whose deal I haven't figured out yet, but theres some stuff that implies to me that this isn't just future earth, it's future earth possibly centuries after some kind of cataclysmic war before it rebuilt into shiny happy bizarre corporate nightmare land. It might be kind of cool if all the plot wasn't so drat cackhanded.

There's a poo poo ton of meta fiction that I think the game itself only scratches the surface of, unless you're able to find way more documents and audio diaries than I did. If you're blitzing through the game it's just "unCastes, what? Cascadia? Is that the name of the city?"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The plot's not that bad, what there is of it, although there's some humor value in EA making a game about the inherent dangers in corporate overreach. It's a particular kind of exposition that I actually appreciate in prose, where they rely upon you to figure out what they're talking about on the fly, rather than pausing to dump information on you. I do appreciate how Faith's relationship with Noah seems strained in a believable way; she's got a death wish she hasn't confronted, he's old enough to see it's what she's doing but doesn't have a firm moral basis for objection.

Mordja posted:

How does the freeruning compare to Dying Light's? I thought that game did it very well, though the focus was more on, you know, zombie killing.

Inexplicably, it's much worse.

Dying Light was smart enough to keep it relatively simple. It's mostly climbing, running, and jumping there, with solid, responsive controls. Mirror's Edge's control scheme is hosed, there's no way to remap the buttons (at least not on Xbox One), and the first-person perspective does not cope well with things like wall-running. There is nothing about navigating Catalyst that would not look, feel, and play better in a third-person perspective.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
See, I'm on PC and I'm really liking the parkour., but I've got the quick aiming of a mouse so *shrug*

The PLOT is probably ok, but I hate these characters, It's very much forced, particularly the nippy relationship between faith and icarus. Entirely two people snapping at each other because the plot demands they snap at each other. Fortunately I'm loving exploring the world and finding shortcuts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I just don't understand where you go to meet people like icarus

Like I've known tons of people who were unpleasant and full of themselves but never people who walk around saying 'heh hope you don't gently caress up heh you suck by the way'

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think they were shooting for Icarus having daddy issues with Noah, but went too far so now he's acting like a spurned lover.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Shame about the story/characters, but I'm glad to hear the gameplay is a lot of fun. I'm excited!

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
I kind of love how dorky and cheesy the characters are in this series haha, I'm just holding out for more news of performance on pc and then I'll probably jump on this (once it's out for us EU dwellers...which is where DICE is but ok).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't even buy the game since I lost my Origin password and they simply refuse to send my password to my gmail. EA can really suck sometimes. Give it up and release your games on Steam, seriously.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Dogen's coolness almost makes up for how awful Icarus is.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Haven't gotten my key yet from GMG, decided to check their store page and uh what

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
E: misread

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

ShineDog posted:

nippy relationship between faith and icarus.

Racist, I don't think she is Japanese.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
Just reporting in that this game is an unoptimized pile of garbage.

SLI (which is on by default) results in massive strobing effect, completely unplayable. Forcing alternate SLI modes just results in enormous FPS drops.

Texture resolution inexplicably has massive influence on FPS. Running on LOW textures seems to be the only way for my 980 Ti to run at 60fps with 3440x1440 resolution.

Game has ~50% chance to crash when closing.

Sigh.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That's a big ol resolution

Though it is a big new card too...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
have it for ps4, played if for an hour or so. its ok. the controls are mostly good but you have to learn poo poo by heart or you will fall off buildings easy. combats easier then i thought it would be and pretty easy to cheese it.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Strategic Tea posted:

That's a big ol resolution

Though it is a big new card too...

Yeah it's not THAT hard. To put it in perspective, every other game in the past year runs flawlessly on this machine. Fallout 4, Battlefront, DOOM, and I can even scale up Overwatch to similar.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ShineDog posted:

Pleased to discover the game takes place where I live

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_%28independence_movement%29

Excited to play more ME!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Combat seems dumb until you nail the flow of it and just squirrel around a room deflecting bullets with your momentum (???) and jump-kicking people hard enough to shatter their helmet visors.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Alternatively, if you can kick a KSEC guard onto a slightly lower ledge you can just goomba-stomp them for an instant KO.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There are a lot of really badly designed mandatory combat encounters in the game, especially in the latter half of the story missions, but I really do enjoy dropping on a dude from two stories up and mule-kicking him into next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wanderer posted:

There are a lot of really badly designed mandatory combat encounters in the game, especially in the latter half of the story missions, but I really do enjoy dropping on a dude from two stories up and mule-kicking him into next week.

yeah. the combat itself works. but the game relies to like 2 buttons to do everything and sometimes it just breaks and does the wrong thing. its almost too simplified.

• Locked thread