Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the combat itself works. but the game relies to like 2 buttons to do everything and sometimes it just breaks and does the wrong thing. its almost too simplified.

Naught Dog games do that, too. A single button for 3-4 distinct actions. It's infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I'm enjoying it so far. About ~4 hours in and decided to stop in case I blast through the whole game. I loved the original Mirror's Edge, and I'm pleasantly surprised with this. I'm just waiting for running to still click. I feel like my momentum is off. Also I had to reboot the game twice. Once because I lost audio and another time because I lost all the textures. Audio bugs are frequent and everyone sounds muffled.

But the world is just fun to navigate. No issues with the combat or controls in anyway.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I think the combat would have been better if more of the enemies were placed ... strategically, around the levels, if that makes sense. Something like enemies in Hitman GO, even, instead of the arena-type fights that the game's system doesn't handle that well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Naught Dog games do that, too. A single button for 3-4 distinct actions. It's infuriating.

i have weirdly never noticed. not saying your wrong.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have weirdly never noticed. not saying your wrong.

Uncharted 4 is really bad with this. The circle button is both the dodge roll and snap to cover. So half the time when you're trying to avoid gunfire you'll snap to an inconvenient cover point and the other half you'll roll instead of getting into cover.

I haven't gotten into enough combat situations to have problems, but light attack and heavy attack are pretty standard setups. Then again, the game has been fairly buggy so far so maybe it's something that can be patched?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Uncharted 2 and 3 had the same problem. Eventually I got used to the timing/distance on getting into cover, but I never stopped getting caught snapping to cover instead of dodging.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TLoU multiplayer has it bad: triangle has four functions: revive teammate/open crate/pick up items/shiv

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Enjoyed the little I've played so far, but I think I need to upgrade my graphics card. My 760 isn't cutting it anymore. :(

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Mirror's Edge wasn't a particularly good game to begin with. I feel it just gets points with some folks for not being like your average shootmans fps, and instead was some sort of awkward first person platformer with the occasional really badly constructed combat sequences.

I think the issue is that 'good' Mirror's Edge was actually the time trial modes but either market research indicates that gamers will never buy it without a stupid plot and XP pickups or someone at EA/DICE doesn't have the balls to say "let's just focus on the bit that works".

I spent 10 times as long in the time trial mode of ME1 as I did in story mode and there's still really nothing else like it out there. Deadcore is the closest I've played and while it still had enemies of a sort it benefited a lot from dispensing with poo poo like story and cutscenes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Actually, Mirror's Edge was good. It doesn't really need a qualifier.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hey guys it's me the guy Faith owes money to ask me anything

Seriously it was very weird to hear my tag in the intro. Enjoying the game so far, it feels a lot like the first but with the nice traversable world to go between missions.

Also I guess the story is a total reboot? Faith doesn't seem any older or anything, no mention of the sister yet, etc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kinda weird how little controller vibration there is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:supaburn: THERE'S A JUKEBOX YOU CAN INTERACT WITH THAT PLAYS CHVRCHES AND SOLAR FIELDS :supaburn:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the default configurations are all wrong

Turned Runner Vision to 'classic'

Turned FOV to 70

Turned music waaaaayyyy up (also voices)

Immediately bought [Quickturn]

...aside from the weirdly absent use of controller vibration everything is playing splendid

edit; also, Sam Bishop...if you're there, I hacked your loving viewscreen with a big ol SNACKYTONGS dove

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Actually, Mirror's Edge was good. It doesn't really need a qualifier.

Ehhh the storyline was just OK and combat just really didn't suit it. Mind you I actually liked that they had awkward guns in - if they're going to have combat I'd rather they make using guns *feel* bad than just ban you from using them. I'm in the minority on that one I think but by all accounts keeping the combat but dropping the guns hasn't worked out all that well.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
I remember reading that the vibration is meant to kick in on your landings to remind you to roll? Maybe its sparsity is to do with accentuating that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fuckin A, this game kicks rear end. The traversal has been sped up and streamlined to a remarkable degree.

I feel like the reviews are a smear campaign or something, because I'm just tooling around aimlessly through the city having a blast.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

I think the issue is that 'good' Mirror's Edge was actually the time trial modes but either market research indicates that gamers will never buy it without a stupid plot and XP pickups or someone at EA/DICE doesn't have the balls to say "let's just focus on the bit that works".

I spent 10 times as long in the time trial mode of ME1 as I did in story mode and there's still really nothing else like it out there. Deadcore is the closest I've played and while it still had enemies of a sort it benefited a lot from dispensing with poo poo like story and cutscenes.

I don't think I'd be interested in a Mirror's Edge that was purely time trials. The story isn't the best, but I love the visual and narrative atmosphere, and without that, I'd probably be bored.

I feel like the reviews are a smear campaign or something, because I'm just tooling around aimlessly through the city having a blast.
I don't think critics were overly enthused with the first either. Game critics want something different, but when they get it, they often give it bad reviews. Though of course "bad" in video game journalism is "7/10" or "8/10" because everything about that industry is dumb and ridiculous.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 8, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nichael posted:

I don't think critics were overly enthused with the first either. Game critics want something different, but when they get it, they often give it bad reviews. Though of course "bad" in video game journalism is "7/10" or "8/10" because everything about that industry is dumb and ridiculous.

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean.

drat, the way to play this game is to turn runner vision completely off and just explore. It's like platforming zen.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm hearing a lot of being able to turn on and off the new features for the world. I'm not a "turn off everything / fox only no items final destination" kinda player but I'm of two minds with Mirror's Edge. I didn't mind the red highlights in the last one, and sometimes got frustrated at parts that weren't clearly signposted. However I also don't want it to be too insanely signposted like "JUMP HERE" ... what options are people finding a happy medium between?

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

teacup posted:

I'm hearing a lot of being able to turn on and off the new features for the world. I'm not a "turn off everything / fox only no items final destination" kinda player but I'm of two minds with Mirror's Edge. I didn't mind the red highlights in the last one, and sometimes got frustrated at parts that weren't clearly signposted. However I also don't want it to be too insanely signposted like "JUMP HERE" ... what options are people finding a happy medium between?

I'm pretty sure that the trail telling you were to jump and the standard highlights are separate options, so if that's true you can make it the same as the first game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teacup posted:

The red highlights are a bit ugly in this game so I turned them off, though I always played with them in ME1.

I had runner vision turned to classic (ME1 style) and found it kind of ugly and unnecessary. Runner vision isn't really important anymore in my opinion. Spend 30 minutes with it completely off and you'll probably keep it off, mainly because the objects in the world that can be interacted with are much more consistent and well defined, and the environments are designed in a way that gives you more confidence in traversal along with the enhanced movement/momentum.

When runner vision is off you'll start really analyzing the environment and zoning in on poo poo easily, and you won't feel like the game has you on a leash. If you get lost there's always a map for reference, and you can still set a primary waypoint from the map so you know the general direction. Also there are footprints and decorative markings literally everywhere on the common paths around the game world. And there are still red waypoint trails for time trials.

gently caress me, I just played this game for 7 hours straight. I haven't even eaten.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Additionally, I highly recommend turning up the FOV to 70 at least; cool that the console versions have that feature for once.

I also turned up the music volume quite a bit and turned off enemy stamina bars and the center dot. The game plays a lot better when the environmental clues aren't competing for screen time with unnecessary HUD items.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fuckin A, this game kicks rear end. The traversal has been sped up and streamlined to a remarkable degree.

It's going through the exact same review process as the first game. Games journalists gonna gam jurnalist!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Are there any notes somewhere on what has changed since the beta?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The red highlights are a bit ugly in this game so I turned them off, though I always played with them in ME1.

I had runner vision turned to classic (ME1 style) and found it kind of ugly and unnecessary. Runner vision isn't really important anymore in my opinion. Spend 30 minutes with it completely off and you'll probably keep it off, mainly because the objects in the world that can be interacted with are much more consistent and well defined, and the environments are designed in a way that gives you more confidence in traversal along with the enhanced movement/momentum.

When runner vision is off you'll start really analyzing the environment and zoning in on poo poo easily, and you won't feel like the game has you on a leash. If you get lost there's always a map for reference, and you can still set a primary waypoint from the map so you know the general direction. Also there are footprints and decorative markings literally everywhere on the common paths around the game world. And there are still red waypoint trails for time trials.

gently caress me, I just played this game for 7 hours straight. I haven't even eaten.

There's parkour in Mass Effect 1?!? :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's going through the exact same review process as the first game. Games journalists gonna gam jurnalist!

Nah, the game's genuinely not great. It's probably fine if all you want to do is bomb around the city, but the story missions get increasingly stupid as they go, and something like 90% of my deaths are down to too many kinds of traversal being bound to the same button. It's certainly a novel game, but it's not well made.

I do run into a problem where muscle memory from other games affects my ability to play this one, though. I kept wanting to hit A to jump, for example.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think 90% of my deaths so far are from going "hmm idk if this is too high to jump down from, oh well, there's one way to find out" *splat*

Poor Faith. :(

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait you need to turn the FOV *up* to 70? Good lord.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

I remember reading that the vibration is meant to kick in on your landings to remind you to roll? Maybe its sparsity is to do with accentuating that?

It's because of this and it's super useful. Timing rolls isn't difficult, but knowing exactly how high Faith has to fall before she needs to roll was really tough. Now there are two indicators, the vibration and the sound of air whooshing past, that start when you need to roll.

I really love this game so far. One thing I've noticed is that DICE wants you to go back and replay missions. In Benefactor I noticed there were a few spots that you could double wallrun through (including one leading to a hidden bag) and Benefactor is the mission that you have to complete to unlock double wallrun in the first place. I like that there's a small-scale Metroid vibe in how you get new ways to traverse the city and coming back to older areas means finding new paths you couldn't take before.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That poo poo mission where you need to defeat those KrugerSec missions in that arena like place... it's loving annoying. Exactly the sort of stuff I didn't want in this game.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Bubble-T posted:

I don't like time trial modes, but I enjoyed Mirror's Edge. I also enjoyed the beta of this until I ran out of non-time trial things to do.

I really hope there's an option to disable all of the social nonsense because I am asocial and don't need or want to see a fake quest thing to try to replicate some guy's crazy once-in-a-lifetime series of bunny-hops across a set of antenna tips every five steps.

The time trials in the beta seemed especially bad since you couldn't place waypoints well. There was one that the qualifying time was like 13 seconds and the highlight route was about a minute. I could get there in 30 seconds but couldn't even conceive of what route could get you there in 10 seconds for the 3 star time.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

psivamp posted:

I don't like time trial modes, but I enjoyed Mirror's Edge. I also enjoyed the beta of this until I ran out of non-time trial things to do.

I really hope there's an option to disable all of the social nonsense because I am asocial and don't need or want to see a fake quest thing to try to replicate some guy's crazy once-in-a-lifetime series of bunny-hops across a set of antenna tips every five steps.

The time trials in the beta seemed especially bad since you couldn't place waypoints well. There was one that the qualifying time was like 13 seconds and the highlight route was about a minute. I could get there in 30 seconds but couldn't even conceive of what route could get you there in 10 seconds for the 3 star time.

Either play offline or just ignore the social markers. They don't really beat you over the head with the social stuff, and if you're not interested in the time trials so much then you'll probably ignore the other red circles for the user-generated time trials.

Speaking of, does anyone know how to race against ghosts in time trials? I read that it was possible, but when I come up to one there's no option to do so. I'd like to figure out how some people get times 15 seconds or more faster than the 3-star time. Also, what's the point of the Beat L.E.'s around? They don't really seem to do anything. I stuck one up on top of that black cube art structure in Triumverate Drive (I think?) because it was hard to climb up to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoren posted:

Either play offline or just ignore the social markers. They don't really beat you over the head with the social stuff, and if you're not interested in the time trials so much then you'll probably ignore the other red circles for the user-generated time trials.

Speaking of, does anyone know how to race against ghosts in time trials? I read that it was possible, but when I come up to one there's no option to do so. I'd like to figure out how some people get times 15 seconds or more faster than the 3-star time. Also, what's the point of the Beat L.E.'s around? They don't really seem to do anything. I stuck one up on top of that black cube art structure in Triumverate Drive (I think?) because it was hard to climb up to.

I couldn't figure out Beat L.E. either. I just bookmark every one I come to.

The Walrus posted:

wait you need to turn the FOV *up* to 70? Good lord.

You don't need to do anything.

Wanderer posted:

Nah, the game's genuinely not great. It's probably fine if all you want to do is bomb around the city, but the story missions get increasingly stupid as they go, and something like 90% of my deaths are down to too many kinds of traversal being bound to the same button. It's certainly a novel game, but it's not well made.

I do run into a problem where muscle memory from other games affects my ability to play this one, though. I kept wanting to hit A to jump, for example.

We must be on different planets then, 'cause this game delivers entirely on the unfulfilled promises of the first game without losing nearly anything that made it unique.

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is the only conclusion I can come to, like bandwagon effect in full force. I get the feeling that some reviewers are eager to get back to playing/reviewing other games so they just blast through the story mode following the red ghost trail (the worst!).

I mean, that red stream is for super-novice players ONLY. The whole point this time around is that you can take whatever route you want, unlike the first game.

Turn off runner vision, don't be a slave!

Game owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 8, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

We must be on different planets then, 'cause this game delivers entirely on the unfulfilled promises of the first game without losing nearly anything that made it unique.

This is the only conclusion I can come to, like bandwagon effect in full force. I get the feeling that some reviewers are eager to get back to playing/reviewing other games so they just blast through the story mode following the red ghost trail (the worst!).

Nah, son. The combat's shallow, the controls are poorly considered, the best parts of the city look like an airport lounge at 3 AM, and doing safety rolls in first person gave me a headache after the first day.

It certainly is unique, and no one can take that away from it, but I put maybe 20 hours into it over the weekend and it's difficult to regard it as anything other than an interesting failure. There's no bandwagon here; you're just one of the handful of people who somehow managed to enjoy the first game, and thus, you're exactly who the second game was made for.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Nah, son. The combat's shallow, the controls are poorly considered, the best parts of the city look like an airport lounge at 3 AM, and doing safety rolls in first person gave me a headache after the first day.

It certainly is unique, and no one can take that away from it, but I put maybe 20 hours into it over the weekend and it's difficult to regard it as anything other than an interesting failure. There's no bandwagon here; you're just one of the handful of people who somehow managed to enjoy the first game, and thus, you're exactly who the second game was made for.

Yeah, sounds like it's not for you. Motion sickness turned a lot of people off the first game, too.

It's true, I like my runmans to an absurd degree. I'm glad they didn't change the core gameplay other than speeding it up a little.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I'm not sure what you were expecting in combat, but as far as first person games go this has deeper combat than just about any of them. And sorry you're bad at remembering that LB = jump :shrug: that's what the game's all about and the controls are super simple.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Against a single opponent, circling around them to kick them in the back of the head will work every time. Face to face, against anything short of the guys with shock gauntlets, you can beat them all with straight heavy kicks as long as you don't mash the button. The light attack might as well not be there at all, as there's never a reason to use it.

The final combat encounter of the game, its last "boss" fight, can be beaten very easily by kicking one elite soldier into the other, over and over again, timing your second attack to land just when they recover from slamming into each other. The only real fun to be had with combat in this game is in the rare occasion where you're not trying to fight at all, so you bounce off dudes like they're Koopa Troopas and just keep going.

By coding the game so every traversal move is keyed to the same button, it virtually guarantees a series of obnoxious deaths where you go for one traversal move and due to some fluke, get another. If anything, the controls are too simple. Many other parkour-influenced games will deal with this issue by assigning jumping to a separate button from wall-running. If you could rebind the wall-run to the right trigger, for example, as it was done in Sands of Time, that would address most of my problems with it.

Yeah, sounds like it's not for you. Motion sickness turned a lot of people off the first game, too.

Yeah. 99% of the first-person games I've ever played don't bother me, including the first game, but this one did after a while. It's particularly bad when you're fighting the elites who can knock you over, so the screen goes fuzzy for a second and Faith gets up with a backward somersault.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

By coding the game so every traversal move is keyed to the same button, it virtually guarantees a series of obnoxious deaths where you go for one traversal move and due to some fluke, get another. If anything, the controls are too simple. Many other parkour-influenced games will deal with this issue by assigning jumping to a separate button from wall-running. If you could rebind the wall-run to the right trigger, for example, as it was done in Sands of Time, that would address most of my problems with it.

I dunno, this is how it was in the first game and it's far more reliable here. In my opinion if my character fails on a specific occasion to enter a wall run because I misjudge the distance it's in my interest that there is at least some possibility for a vault to take place without me having to press another button. Having to keep in mind more buttons for similar actions in a tight would be frustrating as hell, especially when you get to complex traversals that require repeated pivots, I mean, at that point it becomes a struggle for your brain to keep up with muscle memory.

shift left -- > wall run left -> wall run up -> pivot -> jump -> tuck -> soft roll

[R2+L] --> [L1] --> [L1] --> [R1] --> [L1] --> [R2+L2] --> [R2]

That's a fairly complex string of button presses in my opinion (but not even as complex as the games get), one that I can previsualize the architecture for in my head because it pops up so frequently in both games. I'm not sure I'd want any more buttons added to that mix.

[shift] + L or R stick is a loving revolution in mobility though, a huge improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Does anyone else have loving awful shadow quality, like completely pixelated. I don't see any option to change shadow quality in the options.

Edit: I think it's sorted I needed to restart for the graphics options to kick in. Also game is quality.

Ms. Chanandler Bong fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 9, 2016

• Locked thread