Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

like as a person? like myers-briggs or your zodiac or whatever?

personally mine are

street fighter 2: guile
tekken: bryan fury
soul calibur: mitsurugi
mortal kombat: scorpion
smash bros: samus

idk i'm looking at it and i guess there's no real summation to draw here, no common thread. i can't really prove my own thesis even just using myself as a sample. it's sort of all over the place.

sorry for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the only fighting games i play are Smash, and i main Ness

i suppose that means i like Earthbound, which is true

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Akuma :hehe:

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Idk the only game I've played like that is Marvel vs Capcom. All I did was button mash because I'd never played before and all of a sudden Freddie Mercury is beating a raccoon with a pipe.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

always choose the big booby lady wherever possible

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i played soul calibur once and i played as the giant lizard dude, if that counts for anything

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
2 points

- i just realised M. Bison even ryhmes with Mike Tyson

- i have jacked it to mortal kombat boobs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Isaac posted:

2 points

- i just realised M. Bison even ryhmes with Mike Tyson

- i have jacked it to mortal kombat boobs

- in the original glorious nippon version, balrog was named m. bison but they swapped names when it was released here to avoid the boxer/convicted rapist suing them

- same

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
The last fight game I gave a poo poo about at all was Tekken 5 and I really liked playing as Lili

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Otisburg posted:

- in the original glorious nippon version, balrog was named m. bison but they swapped names when it was released here to avoid the boxer/convicted rapist suing them

- same

Yeah i know he used to be m. Bison not balrog. I knew he was a usa boxer who was black and huge.

Just today maybe nearly 2 decades later i realise m. Bison sounds like mike tyson

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

play dan, so what

Aug 4, 2010

ummm excuse me but smash bros isnt a fighting game

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

As one who urinates it's only natural I play as Urien.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Otisburg posted:

like as a person? like myers-briggs or your zodiac or whatever?

personally mine are

street fighter 2: guile
tekken: bryan fury
soul calibur: mitsurugi
mortal kombat: scorpion
smash bros: samus

idk i'm looking at it and i guess there's no real summation to draw here, no common thread. i can't really prove my own thesis even just using myself as a sample. it's sort of all over the place.

sorry for this thread.

I think if you played enough of the game to be legit good at it then yeah the archtypes you gravitate to would be more consistent and probably a reflection of how you try to handle challenges in life. Do you want to be the person on offence, making the other player respond to your choices or do you want to be reacting to what they do, so on and so forth with all the variations of those styles and anything in between. If you mostly play the games casually then your choices are probably more about flavor and who looks cool/strong rather than an indication of anything.

Team based games like mmos, mobas, tf2, etc, would probably be even better for this though as they allow for roles (like a character that is mostly supportive of their teammates but can't do much on their own) that you wouldn't really see in fighting games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

www posted:

ummm excuse me but smash bros isnt a fighting game

why not? you pick your guy, and then you press buttons and make them fight?? idgi

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

... Guys? Yeah, way to exclude all women fighters, bruh. :rolleyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

... Guys? Yeah, way to exclude all women fighters, bruh. :rolleyes:

i meant in the vernacular that the guy you chose in your game is "your guy". i mean i included samus in my own list

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Here's my guy.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

DanAdamKOF posted:

As one who urinates it's only natural I play as Urien.

I want to delve inside the mind of a person who chooses urien

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Ryu: because I cannot remember all the moves and poo poo in this game

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zorodius posted:

Ryu: because I cannot remember all the moves and poo poo in this game

I know like every combo in sf3 and that one that wasnt sf2 but wasnt sf3 and my friend could beat me like 20 times in a row just using normal attacks. It was very vexing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Joust posted:

Here's my guy.

tbh if you look at how ridiculously stereotyped the sf2 roster is (yoga hindu firebreather from india, capoeria gator man from brazil, giant bear-wrestling hary russian, americna army man who looks like a toby keith song knocked up a gi joe, etc etc) this really isn't a stretch

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hed cry foul if i used raging demon on him. Like akuma has thr lowest hit points and you gotta be bassically standing still for raging demon to connect but hed say it was bullshit

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Otisburg posted:

tbh if you look at how ridiculously stereotyped the sf2 roster is (yoga hindu firebreather from india, capoeria gator man from brazil, giant bear-wrestling hary russian, americna army man who looks like a toby keith song knocked up a gi joe, etc etc) this really isn't a stretch

I feel like they just have grandfathered in racism that people sorta just accept because it's been around since the early 90s

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Did anyone else learn fighting games from like sf2 and mortal combat and from that point on when talking to your friends about how to do moves you'd just be like "so you do a sub zero for that" or "it's like a sonic boom" rather than describing the motion. I feel like even the fgc just says "dp motion" or w/e half the time instead of whatever dumb numbered notations they use nowadays.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If im not gettint anywhere vs someonr as akuma i choose blanka. If im not shitfaced and can do the moves i choose yun or yang whichecer the good one was

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I just pick the gayest looking dude. Sorry ladies.

I think once I played a ground-humping clown in bondage gear with knives for hands.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

I just pick the gayest looking dude. Sorry ladies.

I think once I played a ground-humping clown in bondage gear with knives for hands.

yeah voldo for sure. probably the spanish claw guy in sf2?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Colonel Cancer posted:

I just pick the gayest looking dude.
You need to try the jojo fight game

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
I Like Baby MArio in mario tennis

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like they just have grandfathered in racism that people sorta just accept because it's been around since the early 90s

there was a sort of playful good-naturedness to it that's hard to articulate but made it seem innocent. i guess it helps that they were somewhat "equal opportunity offenders." sure you have generic karate protagonist, but the other japanese guy was a giant slap-happy sumo man who fought in a bathhouse.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
and the first Brazilian was the hulk with electric powers and flaming orange hair

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I downloaded sf vs tekken on my ipad and won the game using only sonic booms. Not even moving just spamming sonic boom.

I was on an airplane and i had to switch ti the kim kardashian game

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Otisburg posted:

there was a sort of playful good-naturedness to it that's hard to articulate but made it seem innocent. i guess it helps that they were somewhat "equal opportunity offenders." sure you have generic karate protagonist, but the other japanese guy was a giant slap-happy sumo man who fought in a bathhouse.
I completely agree and don't really see anything wrong with their character design because it's a game-game not some sort of piece of story driven media fit for social commentary, it'd be like complaining why whitey gets to go first in chess. I'm just generally surprised at how little flack they get for some of their really over the top designs like t hawk, deejay, boxer, etc. Really the only time I've seen the usual suspects whine about character design being problematic it's just stuff like mika's outfit or this hilarious bug during dev demos.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

ArbitraryC posted:

I completely agree and don't really see anything wrong with their character design because it's a game-game not some sort of piece of story driven media fit for social commentary, it'd be like complaining why whitey gets to go first in chess. I'm just generally surprised at how little flack they get for some of their really over the top designs like t hawk, deejay, boxer, etc. Really the only time I've seen the usual suspects whine about character design being problematic it's just stuff like mika's outfit or this hilarious bug during dev demos.

and yet nobody complains about cammy throwing out the sieg heil
problematic imo :godwin:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

in guilty gear xx I'm a bridget man, but this says nothing about me whatsoever

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I pick Yoshimitsu or whatever that robot dude from Tekken is called. Only reason I do is because I once accidentally killed my opponent by committing hara-kiri and I only had a sliver of health left but my opponent ran into my lightsaber (that I just stabbed through my own robot heart) and died. It was really cool and it's the only fighting game thing I remember hth

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

beedeebee posted:

I pick Yoshimitsu or whatever that robot dude from Tekken is called. Only reason I do is because I once accidentally killed my opponent by committing hara-kiri and I only had a sliver of health left but my opponent ran into my lightsaber (that I just stabbed through my own robot heart) and died. It was really cool and it's the only fighting game thing I remember hth

this is probably in the top 10 fighting game moves of all time, because of how absurd it was. super slow and telegraphed and ridiculously short range, plus it took away like a ton of your health but if you hit the other guy with it he was basically auto-dead

at least that's how i remember it

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The only fighting game I play is Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Ranto-hen but I'm not sure what that says about me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

The only fighting game I play is Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Ranto-hen but I'm not sure what that says about me. :shrug:

never heard of it but gonna take a blind swing at this piniata and say you're a weeaboo.

• Locked thread