Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

One verified person said Q1-2017, but since they're supposedly pushing for games to start having profiles for it in October maybe they're aiming for something sooner. I kind of think E3 might be a bit late for an announcement with that sort of time frame, though.

EDIT oh yeah, this is probably a harsher burn for Japan and other territories which got the PS4 later. PS4's barely been out 2 years in Japan.

The japanese will pay 100 dollars for designer pieces of fruit so they probably wont mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

Sony not giving a gently caress about their flagship's game library but putting funds towards new hardware revision 3 years after PS4 - just :lol:, more joke material for CEO Kaz Hirai.

Nintendo don't know anything about anything anymore. Those rumors about the company having huge reserves of money better be true, NX sounds like garbage fire and they still don't have any idea how to market or sell games online.

Microsoft should get out of console business asap. Just offload the whole gaming division, they don't give a gently caress.

The first isnt happening

The second is probably true

And the third already happened but they have too much dead stock lying around so they will keep pretending to be in consoles for a while

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

So Sony are leading this console generation due to a straight up performance advantage, obviously the best thing to do is squander that and go all in on a new SKU that Microsoft might match or beat (given the specs are apparently known and published). That's if their own fans don't eviscerate them for selling them iPhones instead of consoles.

Is Microsoft's movements a dead cert in spite of Phil Spencer walking back his statements after the PR fallout that Sony thought "having a 1.5-2:1 sales advantage isn't going to cut it"?

Going all in would mean not requiring support. They arent all in, they are hedging.
The second paragraph doesnt make sense to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

I hope there's never a PS5, I hope they keep updating the PS4 forever tbh

We had to wait three years for basic PS3 features like appearing offline

They can't be trusted to make new consoles

Just, maybe, don't do the upgrade thing so quickly!!

PS4EVA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Popular Human posted:

Has Nintendo even done anything special with the New 3DS other than Xenoblade Chronicles and some SNES roms?

Triforce heroes port runs on it
Monhun is more playable than 3ds without cpp

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

They are robots made from the bones of last-gen consoles looking to destroy the next generation.

All the bones are current gen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

xb live is still the cream

haha.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mistle posted:

Given the PS4k actually going down this route, is MS going to take the bait of "VR is the future" and haplessly hamfist a VR effort for the xbone? Or are they going to just watch Sony make folly and cry over not being the boring middle-aged version of Kid Vid?

they already did. you can plug your bone into a 1200 dollar pc with an oculus and play bone games in a virtual theater.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what more could you want?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

:siren: It's happening (eventually)

Betting Its a windows 10 streamer for tvs and digital xbox games. I bet no disc drive.
Amd has said they are working with sony and nintendo with no word about ms so a new apu seems unlikely.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

I can't wait to upgrade my console every year so I can play game on 5 year old technology to maintain that I am a console gamer. Such a shame computers can't use controllers.

Can you post your incel blog? I want to know more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

No, another solution which is a flat 17 Euro a month.

you're hosting a plex server on another continent?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JoKP_KFlTI

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

umad bro is the best ya got, ult? :cmon:

^^^^
it doesn't say ms on that pic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he's mann.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

AMD had its Q1 2016 earnings call.

They expect $1.5B in future revenue for three new gaming processors. What new processors? They're not telling. Tee hee hee!

sega's coming back!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

neat that while AMD is basically nonexistant in peesee gaming now theyre killin it with every console contract. i bet their bids mysteriously always come up like $50 less than nvidias

its been so long since nvidia had a console APU to make that amd might have all the chinese factories that can make them locked up. idk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wtf

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

When we told Nintendo to "pull up" obviously something got a little mixed up in translation.

Im on phone link me to an article about that horseshoe boondoggle plz

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure that spencer's comments about upgraded xboxs were just trial balloons with no solid plans behind them and the sony leak probably has them scrambling to put something together in time for e3 the exact same way the original bone was slapped together.

idk if there's the will among the big wigs at MS to let their poorly performing video game division continue to compete as more than 3rd party branded xbox steam machines though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crabtree posted:

The biggest hurdle these new-new consoles have outside of convincing people to bite at the price is what's the magic number for games that perform/look/are generally better on the new hardware than the old. Not try to out perform the old machines too much and what's the point of buying the next in line. Push in the opposite and your piss off your at least larger 4.0 consumer base for Sony. I personally can't see them avoiding at least one of these unless the planets align, people all over have a lot more disposable income and there are so many "good" games for both incarnations that they cover their bases as much as humanly possible.

Sony is requiring higher numbers for all games on ps4k and praying that devs dont gently caress them over and deliver broke games for the base model (consumers dont seem to care about sub 30 fps games on the current model now but i assume theres a floor to what is acceptable to the average player)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A second gen xbox one was planned in 2014 and entered production 2 months ago according to a picture of a computer screen in japanese i saw today

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

If you count the Elite controller, yes.

Also potentially a new Elite Console SKU.

Elite controller with 1tb hdd

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Because its a hybrid handheld with no games at launch so it will of course have a 3ds slot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Holy poo poo you have some serious misconceptions about the bulk of Japan's geography if you think this.

Its a smelly humid network of valleys packed with unhappy smokers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Both Microsoft and Sony will have their E3 conferences on June 13th, 4 weeks from now.

Nintendo won't be revealing the NX at E3, Tokyo Game Show in September is probably a likely time for them to do that assuming they don't just do their own thing.

someone said that nintendo doesn't go to TGS ever earlier in this thread or a similar one. i didn't fact check it tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

its 4k because it can output 4k, while the og ps4 and xboneen are unable to. its not expected to run games at 4k and a t no point has this been claimed

Yeah the ps4 was designed before the standards for 4k video were established. The neo corrects that and is just like a slim console only now technology is advanced and software dev streamlined enough to include moar powah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

The Xbox 360 did lead most of the last console generation in sales but Microsoft basically lost all the money they made due to the costs of the RROD and the legal action/extended warranties/huge amounts of repairs and replacements that followed. And by the end of the generation the Xbox 360 and the PS3 were basically even because as time went on the PS3 got cheaper and was both more powerful and had larger storage space both on disc and built-in (remember how for an embarrassing amount of its lifetime the 360 required everything be small enough to fit on a memory card because they made HDDs optional and proprietary? and how multi-disc games were already a thing just a few years into the console's life because it used DVDs?) so multiplats ran better on it once people were able to use the Cell processor better.

also after around 2010 the 360 became an ad machine with much diminished exclusive support while sony's exclusive software never seemed to slow down or at least that's my impression of it.

edit: just eyeballing the charts on wikipedia for 7th gen exclusives, ps3 is about 1/3rd the size of xb360 through 2009 but over twice as large afterwards.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Rumors are flying now for Microsoft's plans.

Xbox Nano - will be a streaming device similar to Chromecast and Amazon's Fire TV. Pricing point may be around $100.

Xbox Slim - Slightly bigger. He does not use the name slim, but from what it sounds like that would be the case

Xbox 106ish TFlop - looks to be in the works, but doubtful to be announced at E3. Instead he is hearing Spring 2017 as a release date. Virtual Reality and 4K Video playback will be a thing. He says this leak comes outside of Microsoft so its no guarantee.

Xbox Interface coming to PC, and Xbox + PC will be a big theme at E3 as more stuff is coming to PC.

xbox is the new zune.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Corvo posted:

They should bring Xbox 360 backwards compatibility to PC since the emulator is a Windows app anyways and being able to buy & play digital 360 games on PC would be awesome. Well, apart from the whole needing to install Windows 10 thing anyways.

It will happen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disney dumped infinity in preparation to own nintendo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope nx is hybrid handheld/console so that it gets 1st party games non stop from all their studios all in one place. Splitting their attention to two platforms kills the momentum of their systems

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

360 had an external powerbrick and still got too hot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats the only plan that makes sense. huge ps4 price cut hopefully coming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody get a new3ds? I avoided it. :feelsgood:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

I do. It's great.

Whats it got? Faster menus and thumb nub?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nierbo posted:

Wait, what happened to those steam boxes or nvidia boxes or whatever they were? They still coming out?

ones came out over the winter i think but i never heard about them since.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think the neo isn't worth worrying over. people talk about sony abandoning the ps4 or losing faith in its power but that's not the way the economics are going to work for devs who want that install base.

i really think its just an evolution of the mid gen console revision only now with the ability to add power along with new output options and smaller chips etc.

they'll likely have a new slim version of the base model at a dirt cheap price too so it will be win win. sony reels in the whales, the base price and used price falls for people without a console, and people with a console can keep playing all the games.

the only thing i'm worried about is the rumors of vita trinity. i really don't want to see sony launch another handheld unless the name implies that its actually a handheld ps3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just want to the Neo to compete with the Scorpio, otherwise I might go back to MS, and I don't want to do that.

what does compete mean? it will have all the same games. those games are required by sony to be 1080p30 and upscale to fit 4k displays.

the scorpio is not going to do more than that even at a 2 extra teraflops and it won't have any exclusives that you couldn't play buying a best buy budget pc for probably only a little more than the launch msrp they are going to gouge the lifestyle fans (lol) for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

idk who would be disappointed besides dudes who can't live having the technically weaker system.

nobody was going to throw their pc in the trash cause neo came out

these tflops figures don't matter. if they mattered, ps4 being 2x xb1 would come out to more than a few frames of difference in performance and more than 900p vs 1080p. like xb1 could have been a contender even at its current spec if it had games people wanted, didn't have a 100 dollar kinect tax and disasterous pr at launch, and wasn't an assy hardware and ui experience. console war history is full of the weaker system winning.

if tflops mattered that much it would mean that ps4 neo being 2x ps4 would come out to more than just guaranteed 1080p and more stable fps.

when scorpio launches at only 133% of ps4 neo in tflops for like 150-200 dollars more it will be totally meaningless and another sales disaster.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 6, 2016

• Locked thread