Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have followed the official tutorial exactly, but I keep getting the "Server refused our key" error. These are the exact steps I am taking:

1) Create new keypair, save as <keypair>.pem
2) Open puttygen
3) Conversions -> Import Key -> select <keypair>.pem (This is the only deviation from official tutorial, but same issue happens with Load -> select <keypair>.pem)
4) Click the Save Private Key button -> click yes -> save as <keypair>.pkk
5) Open Putty
6) Copy public DNS name of instance to Host Name box (port = 22)
7) SSH -> Auth -> Browse -> select <keypair>.pkk
8) Open SSH session
9) Enter "ec2-user" for user name

Then I hit the "Server refused our key" error. Am I doing something wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Verify puttygen created an SSH-2 RSA key as well as the username you should be using, depending on the instance type it may not be "ec2-user".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was using SSH-2 RSA, and ec2-user is the correct username for an Amazon Linux AMI.

Also, it worked this time. :shrug: I'll take it.

• Locked thread