Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aces High posted:

Nothing will beat the Blizzard way though :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

Have to check this too then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77k-eNscp2k

(I think C&C is one of the earliest DOS games relying entirely on digitized audio for both music and effects, not using MIDI or other synths for anything. The music is stored on the CDs in a DPCM compressed format, which is reasonably fast to decode, while also consuming much less bandwidth = less time spent on CD I/O, and letting it have a long soundtrack while also leaving space for real video on the discs.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Part 5 is live!

Sharp_angus posted:

Didn't see this mentioned, but way back, the shareware version of Wolf3D (at least the one I had), was an older engine than the one that made retail release. The most notable difference I found was that push-walls didn't slide, while they and all other doors kinda snapped to their open state.

I went and looked for a video of this, and was unable to find it. Do you have a link to a recording of this? I'm interested to see that.

Thefluffy posted:

after watching all that sped up wolf 3-D gameplay I am starting to see how people get motionsick from playing it :barf:
Sorry! There will be significantly less fast forwarding in the future!

nielsm posted:

Great post about audio stuff

This was a fun read. it's good to have so many knowledgeable people in the thread. Thank you!

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 13, 2016

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Temin_Dump posted:

I went and looked for a video of this, and was unable to find it. Do you have a link to a recording of this? I'm interested to see that.

I can't find anything either. Sorry :(

I remember it was a very limited demo. Maybe just the first episode. I stunk at the game way back, and I got stuck on floor six, so I'm not sure if Hans was even in it at floor 9. I was playing on a 286 and the splash screen looked different, more pixelated. EGA maybe...

e: A clue I just found at https://tcrf.net/Wolfenstein_3D_(DOS) says that "Salute" was cut music used for the splash theme in the prototype version of Wolf (whatever that means). THAT is the theme I remember hearing when the game started. I have no idea how on earth I had that version of the game!

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 14, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tiggum posted:

Duke Nukem novels would either be hilarious or absolutely unreadable.

They had one or two Shadow Warrior novels that were loving STUPID but goofy fun to read.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Sharp_angus posted:

I can't find anything either. Sorry :(

I remember it was a very limited demo. Maybe just the first episode. I stunk at the game way back, and I got stuck on floor six, so I'm not sure if Hans was even in it at floor 9. I was playing on a 286 and the splash screen looked different, more pixelated. EGA maybe...

e: A clue I just found at https://tcrf.net/Wolfenstein_3D_(DOS) says that "Salute" was cut music used for the splash theme in the prototype version of Wolf (whatever that means). THAT is the theme I remember hearing when the game started. I have no idea how on earth I had that version of the game!

Nice! That was enough info for me to find this: https://youtu.be/pqHpaB_nRH8
Cool stuff. Didn't know there was an alpha of this game floating around.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, with all that talk about John Romero's design and big open areas, you really should include Daikatana in the list.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
So how does Wolf3D handle aiming, anyway? Because it looks like you can be aimed a decent ways away from an enemy and still hit them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edminster posted:

So how does Wolf3D handle aiming, anyway? Because it looks like you can be aimed a decent ways away from an enemy and still hit them.

It's all keyboard controls and no strafing, and movement is quite rapid, so it has to have a fair degree of auto-aiming. You'll notice a lot of running into and grinding along walls, and that's because it's pretty hard to avoid. That's just how you move in this game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Tiggum posted:

It's all keyboard controls and no strafing, and movement is quite rapid, so it has to have a fair degree of auto-aiming. You'll notice a lot of running into and grinding along walls, and that's because it's pretty hard to avoid. That's just how you move in this game.

This is pretty much the forerunner to the 90's twitch shooter, all played with arrow keys which completely restricts you to moving forward or backwards. Fortunately with the hitscan weapons you'll hit just about anything so long as it's sorta in front of you.

I don't remember if the game supported mouse aiming when it first came out and I'm pretty sure you couldn't rebind any of the keys.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

No Team Fortress? Wasn't it originally a Quake mod, which I guess isn't technically Doom.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I can't speak for how "does this hit" works, but what I can tell you is that you could use the mouse. By default, moving the mouse left and right turned you. Forward and back make you move forwards and backwards, which is why the movement in the video is the way it is (and yes, this did mean you could move at absurd speeds for short periods). Left click fires, right click activates. Hold it down and move the mouse left and right to strafe. I don't think you could bind a dedicated strafe key at the time, but since almost everything is hitscan, I don't know how much use it would've been anyway.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Incidentally, the Wolfenstein wiki says that the machine gun seems to be modeled after an MP40 in the original DOS build, an STG-44 in the mission packs, and a mix between an MP40 and an M1A2 in the Mac Family port. (Apologies if someone else has mentioned this in the thread already, only just binged the videos.)

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Part 6 is here

Mooseontheloose posted:

No Team Fortress? Wasn't it originally a Quake mod, which I guess isn't technically Doom.
It wasn't on the list before, but it is now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Aerdan posted:

Incidentally, the Wolfenstein wiki says that the machine gun seems to be modeled after an MP40 in the original DOS build, an STG-44 in the mission packs, and a mix between an MP40 and an M1A2 in the Mac Family port. (Apologies if someone else has mentioned this in the thread already, only just binged the videos.)
Yeah, when Coffee asked about that, for some reason I thought he was asking whether or not the weapons were digitized from real life. Oops!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Temin_Dump posted:

It wasn't on the list before, but it is now. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you're actually going to do something on QWTF you're definitely going to need 8-16 players to fill a server, it being multiplayer-only and such!

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

nielsm posted:

If you're actually going to do something on QWTF you're definitely going to need 8-16 players to fill a server, it being multiplayer-only and such!

For sure! Gonna be looking for volunteers when we get to that point.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
And thus we bid a temporary farewell to wolfenstein, the small first step for first person shooters as we know them.

Next up, Doom baby! :arghfist::black101:

I hate nested secrets.

Yeah, but doom one comes first.

VVVVVV

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 17, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh? No Spear of Destiny?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

What? Did I say something that implied Spear of Destiny wasn't next? Because it totally is.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I haven't played Spear of Destiny, so I'm actually intereted in seeing how much of it is just more Wolfenstein.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wasn't it just a Wolfenstein map pack with some new enemies thrown in (although I guess that could've been said of any of the original 6 episodes). I don't think I ever played it as a kid.

Stars a ripped as hell BJ though.

Guess he got some upper body work in after bring a POW.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can't stop hearing "MEIN FROMAGE!" from the milkmen.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I am so glad you are doing the two semi-official wolfenstein 3D expansions. Amazingly, I have found a grand total of 0 people on the internet who have LPed it with commentary.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hear "Mein Frobozz" but that's because I spent too much time playing text-games back in the day.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
If you can please show off the Custom Playstation Edition of Doom/doom2 or at least a wad that shows off the changes that they made for it?
Here's a video review of it if your unfamiliar whit it.
https://youtu.be/-fEuUix_o-s

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yessssssssssss

Looking very much forward to all of this! My sister and I played the hell out of DukeNukem64, which isn't Doom per se, but looked a lot like it, and now I spend an inordinate amount of time on DoomRL.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wasn't it just a Wolfenstein map pack with some new enemies thrown in (although I guess that could've been said of any of the original 6 episodes). I don't think I ever played it as a kid.

This is basically right, but it also comes with new music, and the level design takes a huge step up from regular Wolfenstein 3d from what I recall. Most of the levels are more compact, so it's harder to get lost, there's a lot of new tiles and decorations to help alleviate the monotony, and it overall feels like a more polished game.

They changed the chaingun pickup sound (IIRC) though which is laaaame.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Spear of Destiny itself is better than Wolfenstein 3D, but those mission packs for it are another story entirely.

Mr.Flibble posted:

If you can please show off the Custom Playstation Edition of Doom/doom2 or at least a wad that shows off the changes that they made for it?

It probably will be covered I imagine, Jaguar/Playstation Doom alters level geometry and has new exclusive levels. I believe there is a WAD file called PSX Doom TC which allows you to play all of that on the PC version and they did say they will be covering mods.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Spear of Destiny itself is better than Wolfenstein 3D, but those mission packs for it are another story entirely.

The mission packs are interesting in their own right as they're basically a TC of wolfenstein 3d, with new textures, reskinned enemies with new sounds, etc. So at the very least we'll get to see more enemy bios!! :toot:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Surprise update! Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars!
I was gonna try to have Catacombs 3D up tonight, but due to real life happening, we weren't able to record yesterday. Good thing we already recorded this!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I mean, it makes some sort of sense given their place in the dairy industry.

Mr.Flibble posted:

Yep! Most of the console ports of the id games will be covered in some capacity.

Gloomy Rube posted:

This is basically right, but it also comes with new music, and the level design takes a huge step up from regular Wolfenstein 3d from what I recall. Most of the levels are more compact, so it's harder to get lost, there's a lot of new tiles and decorations to help alleviate the monotony, and it overall feels like a more polished game.

They changed the chaingun pickup sound (IIRC) though which is laaaame.

Eeehh... I kinda like the SOD chaingun pickup sound more.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Temin_Dump posted:

I mean, it makes some sort of sense given their place in the dairy industry.

They will miss that which they love most.

Is there any fanfiction about a milkman and his cheese?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Fun Fact: Dr.Manhattan was actually based on Commander Keen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The video is horribly out of sync for me, audio is ~10 seconds ahead.

E: Apparently the "stop HTML5 autoplay" extension I was using in Chrome was at fault.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 19, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Am I too late for the Wolfenstein mania?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE77bYYjO-Q

I've never even considered them looking like milkmen, now I can't picture them as anything but! :stonk:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Am I too late for the Wolfenstein mania?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE77bYYjO-Q

I've never even considered them looking like milkmen, now I can't picture them as anything but! :stonk:

Well, now I want a Castlevania TC for Wolf3D.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Obviously Hitler needed a lot of milkmen to make sure he always had milk for breakfast. I mean, we all know what he thought of juice.

(I'm sorry)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Well, now I want a Castlevania TC for Wolf3D.
I want a Wolfenstein TC for any 2D Castlevania. We already have the ghosts, vampire Hitler is the obvious next step.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Are you going to do any more of Keen or was that a one-off thing?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
They weren't comic books, they were Kant books. Billy Blaze is a supergenius who presumably reads long-dead philosophers.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Are you going to do any more of Keen or was that a one-off thing?

We're gonna sprinkle all the keen games throughout the LP.

Edminster posted:

They weren't comic books, they were Kant books. Billy Blaze is a supergenius who presumably reads long-dead philosophers.

I Kant even believe it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Temin_Dump posted:

We're gonna sprinkle all the keen games throughout the LP.

Rated 5 for having great taste in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I look forward to Keen 3 and GBC. What great games they are.