Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Temin_Dump posted:

Sorry, man. I'm a stupid newbie. And honestly, I think the lowest point for this series is gonna be Wolf 3D, but I guess we'll see

Wolfenstein 3D is great though. It gets pretty samey as you go through it (especially if you include SoD) but it's a fun and challenging game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

It's on the secret master list that nobody but me and the gang get to see until it's all out there.
Are you going to show off Catacomb 3-D at all?

Oh, and you mentioned in the video about enemies sometimes taking different amounts of damage in Wolf3D, and I think it's based on whether they're aware of you or not (and possibly other factors). But if you shoot a regular dude who hasn't reacted to your presence yet, you'll kill him in one hit. The same seems to apply to the player on Death Incarnate difficulty, where a guy shooting you from behind can kill you in one hit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey, everyone. Part 2 is up here!

So what was supposed to be at the end of that maze?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wa11y posted:

even online games called MUDs (Multi User Dimensions, is what I always heard they were called). The MUD I remember seeing most often was Legend of the Red Dragon but I know there were others. There were pretty much pre-MMORPGs. If other players were online, you could interact with them, and your state would be saved so you could pick up where you left off.
MUDs still exist, though they're obviously less popular than they were.

PSWII60 posted:

Ok those were the guys in white I was thinking of I guess. Odd, my memory has them in white kung-fu gi like Ryu instead of Nazi uniforms. My memory of Wolfenstein is really fuzzy it seems.
Are you sure you're not actually thinking of the Street Fighter mod?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Duke Nukem novels would either be hilarious or absolutely unreadable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Good god, I remember watching my dad struggle to get the sound working in Duke Nukem 3D back when it first came out. So glad we're (sorta) past those days.
There was a program called "setblast" that made that much easier. It would actually do some sort of test to figure out the correct settings for your sound card, and most games would then just work. The ones that didn't you'd still have to enter the settings into, but since you now knew them it was still way easier.

The real hassle were those DOS games that needed a ton of conventional memory and you had to do all sorts of fiddling with your autoexec.bat and config.sys to try to make enough memory free for them to run.

Sharp_angus posted:

Anecdote: Wolf3D was the first thing my dad and I played when he splurged on the Soundblaster PRO. Hearing the metal door in E1M1 and the ACHTUNG! for the first time are memories he and I still yammer on about today :gowron:
I'm pretty sure I died the first time I saw Hans Grosse just because I was so startled by him suddenly appearing and yelling "Guten tag!" at me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edminster posted:

So how does Wolf3D handle aiming, anyway? Because it looks like you can be aimed a decent ways away from an enemy and still hit them.

It's all keyboard controls and no strafing, and movement is quite rapid, so it has to have a fair degree of auto-aiming. You'll notice a lot of running into and grinding along walls, and that's because it's pretty hard to avoid. That's just how you move in this game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Are you going to do any more of Keen or was that a one-off thing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Reminds me of The Legend of Darkmoon, a game I played as a child and never got more than a tiny way into because it's ridiculously difficult and unintuitive (and reading the manual was a problem when you were playing a game you copied from your uncle who got it from a coworker whose son got it from a friend).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

I really enjoyed Blake Stone as a kid, but I can't honestly remember why. It was mediocre at best & I had no inclination to play it again...until right now.

Yeah, I always liked a lot of things about Blake Stone but it somehow just never added up to a game I actually wanted to play. I think I might have beaten the first couple of levels, but I never played it much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

God, that chaingun-equivalent is just the worst. Who thought covering the majority of the screen with the weapon sprite was a good idea?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I got the enemy names from DeHackEd (which is a thing I hope you're planning on covering at some point), so I always called the "former sergeants" just sergeants, and "former humans" troopers. And you said it has to be a single damage source to gib enemies, so you can't do it with a shotgun. Is that just a thing for the first version? Because I'm pretty sure I've gibbed dudes with a shotgun in either Doom or Doom II. :confused:

double nine posted:

Man, where is the time that it came on 4 floppy discs that you had to switch out during installation -and it'd take half an hour to get through the whole process?
I once installed Windows 95 from floppies. After that, you don't really remember how long or how many disks anything else takes.

Gloomy Rube posted:

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one to pronounce "Gib" that way. "Jib" just sounds so dang weird to me.
The first place I encountered it was in ROTT, and having no idea what it meant or where it came from, I assumed it was pronounced with a hard G.

Thyrork posted:

Who the gently caress calls it Jif?
The people who invented it. It clearly should be a hard G though.

Temin_Dump posted:

I'm playing with a keyboard until like the Quake era, so if it looks like I'm doing badly, that's my poor excuse.
Who would use a mouse to play Doom?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Does the chainsaw stunlock the Demons?

I think it doesn't quite, but they are very unlikely to attack you while being chainsawed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

I don't know if you've played the Playstation port or not, but I think it can happen there(if not, in one of the console ports at least). But as far as the PC versions go, I'm like 99% sure you can't gib enemies with the super shotgun.
Thinking about it further, I may be remembering DeHackEd patches with enemy health set really low or something.

Gloomy Rube posted:

Speaking of controls, I've become accustomed to using space bar as use because of early FPS games, so I can't handle the modern "Press E to use" system.
I just replayed the first episode of Doom today, and I realised I can't actually remember how to use the ctrl=fire space=use setup properly. I was using the same finger for both buttons and moving my entire hand whenever I needed to open a door. Is that how I used to play? I don't think so, but it was just so awkward to try to put my little finger on ctrl and my index finger on space, and any other option seems even worse.

GunnerJ posted:

Haha, same. It's just incomprehensible to me. Like what's most bizarre is the keybindings I used. In hindsight, why the hell didn't I use WASD for movement and the direction keys for looking around? It's so obvious (since the mouse is near the direction keys, of course). But nope, I was still using directional keys for look left-right/move backwards-forwards, while somewhere near WASD I had move left-right and look up-down. :psyduck:
I think for a while there was a trend where the default controls were arrow keys for move forward/backward and turn left/right, WASD for move forward/backward/left/right, so if you used a mouse you'd use WASD and if you used just keyboard you'd use the arrows.

nielsm posted:

Original Quake didn't have mouselook enabled by default. In fact it's a "hold toggle" originally, you have to hold a key to look with the mouse. The keybind for that is "+mouselook" (or maybe "+mlook"), with a matching "-mouselook" command that turns it off. Binding a key to a command that starts with + causes the + command to execute when pressing the key down, and the - command to execute when releasing. But a side effect of that is that you can just type +mouselook in the console (also a Quake first!) or in your autoexec.cfg script and have it enabled indefinitely.
It also has the same sort of vertical auto-aim as Doom, which is why you don't actually need mouselook. It's unquestionably better and easier with mouselook, but it's not essential.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Woebin posted:

It seems really obvious to me that your thumb should go on space in this scenario, no?
Thinking about it some more, I think I used to use right-ctrl, so I'd use my index finger for that and little finger for space. If you have a big enough keyboard (or small enough hands) it works OK.

Minty posted:

finally got around to watching the video: it's explained there, why is this a discussion in thread?
Because I was confused about it.

Golbez posted:

what are you serious
How do you think people played the game who didn't know about the +mlook in the console trick? The game defaults to not having mouselook and the option to turn it on isn't in any of the menus or anything.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I managed to get through Duke3D using nothing but the keyboard as a kid and I don't have any clear memories of playing games like Quake and Unreal for the first time, which came about in the era of switching away from hitscan and more towards mouse look.
Duke3D I certainly played a lot of with keyboard-only, and I don't think I started using mouselook in Quake until I got into deathmatch, I'm pretty sure Unreal requires mouselook though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I love the monster infighting in Doom. I think you're slightly wrong about how it works though. Enemies are immune to the projectiles of their own species (barons of hell and hell knights count as the same species for this) and so an imp that gets hit by another imp's fireball will ignore it, but it is possible for two imps to get into a fight with each other if one hurts the other in another way (like by blowing up a barrel). If that happens they will throw (harmless) fireballs at each other, but also can scratch each other, which does hurt them. Enemies with hitscan weapons can hurt each other fine and will infight frequently, and enemies with melee attacks only can't miss with them and so will only infight in retaliation, so demons and spectres can never start fighting each other like that.

You also talked about different people using different weapons, and that's certainly true. Once I get a shotgun I never stop using it until I switch to the rocket launcher in the last level. I just don't see any value in the chaingun or chainsaw at all in episode one. I'll concede that the rocket launcher can be useful earlier, but I get kind of paranoid about running out of ammo for it.

Speaking of the last level, I really like it. It reminds me a lot of the last level of the first episode of Wolf3D. You get a real sense that something big is coming, and it's a very simple and straight path to this final arena, and when those two boxes open up and the barons scream at you it's really effective. Also the spectre invisibility works really well in this level too, you can barely see them at all against that background.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Re: telefragging: These are vague memories from playing around with DeHackEd, but IIRC if give a monster a ridiculous amount of health and the payer a ridiculous amount of health, one teleporting into the other just results in them getting stuck in each other and not being able to move rather than dying.

Re: E2M2: I always loved how co-op players started in different locations in this level, and the raising floors in the blood pool room. But I didn't know about that first soul sphere and I don't think I ever went through the yellow door either. I played way more of episode one than any of the others until Doom II, which I played a lot of the first third or so but not so much after that.

Re: enemies: That first non-boss Baron is one of the best ever examples of a boss coming back as a regular enemy, because in the first episode they really stand out and are genuinely tougher to beat than anything you've seen before. By the time you see one in episode two, it's actually not that much of a challenge and doesn't seem out of place as a normal enemy. And thematically it works since you're now entering hell and it makes sense that the biggest demon to make it to the world of the living so far is a one that's actually relatively common.

And Lost souls are the best enemy design. They're just cool.

I don't remember what level comes next, but I hate Deimos Lab. As you were playing it I just kept thinking "Oh god, this level. I hate this level." I don't know if the next video is going to have me going "Oh right. No. This level. I hate this level." or if it's going to be a point of contention.

0 rows returned posted:

I'm split on episode 2 because I don't think Tom Hall was a very good map designer, but it's the episode I remember most from playing as a kid. They do sort of resemble what I'd imagine future refineries and lab facilities might look like
What I really love about the level design in Doom is how it gets more hellish as it goes on. Like, episode one is mostly plausible as a space research facility, but with a few bits that are out of place, episode two is sort of a mix of human elements and hell, and episode three is just straight hell.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your talk about ammo shortage struck me, because I was trying to play through episode two and had that exact problem in E2M4 (Deimos Lab). I was trying to get monsters to fight each other as much as possible, I killed at least two cacodemons with crushers, I went back and scoured the level after I got the computer area map, and I still ended up running out of ammo and dying.

nielsm posted:

I printed out the documentation for Duke Nukem 3D sector tags, sector effectors etc. for mapmaking, and put it in binders. That got plenty of use! Actually I may even still have it... or maybe I finally trashed it a few years ago.
So did I. I got hours and hours of entertainment out of that.

Lady Naga posted:

I feel like they did the same thing with Doom 2 but I'm not sure if others feel the same way.
I think Doom 2 has a bunch of bad levels in the middle, but start and ends well?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The actors themselves are great - I mean, you've got Karl Urban, who's always solid, up against Dwayne Johnson, the most charismatic guy you could ever have a mancrush on. It's just that, FPS section aside, it never gets as gleefully dumb as it could. You know, the kind of thing that made Turbo Kid or Far Cry: Blood Dragon as enjoyable as they were, just acknowledging the premise is silly and having fun with it. It's all treated very po-faced, and it suffers for it.
Also didn't they replace the demons with mutants or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Doomguy would never take his helmet off

No, he needs to take his helmet off. He just needs to convey everything with his eyebrows. No dialogue, no sign language, just pain reactions and

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

The player makes no noise at all in game I believe.
What, no "ugh, ugh, ugh" as you mash your face against every wall looking for secrets?

Gimbal lock posted:

The doom space marine is barely anything more than aggression in human form and only exists to hold big guns RIP AND TEAR.
FTFY.

White Coke posted:

As fun as it is to play as the Doomslayer he wouldn't work as the protagonist of a movie, either he needs to be the antagonist or there should be another group of people for the audience to care about.
Just have a team of four protagonists, green, grey, brown and red.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

Having a ton of ammo and no yellow key via cheating can be explained: in addition to the commonly known IDDQD and IDFKA, there is also IDFA. It gives you all of the weapons and full ammo, but no keys. Thus IDFA instead of IDKFA. :eng101:

Did people not know about that one? I thought that was always the preferred cheat because you just get the weapons and ammo without skipping any of the level.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aerdan posted:

Practically none, though there are some games that don't let you cheat 'til after you beat the game (e.g. DNF)

I've never understood games that make you unlock cheats. Although that goes for unlocks in general. If there's a campaign or story mode then it makes sense that you only get this item or ability at this point, but for games like racing or fighting games where you can just jump in and do one-offs, why are you stopping me from playing with all the toys that I bought? Who benefits from me not being able to do what I want to here?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ExplosiveCoffee posted:

Sorry about that, ill tone it down for the future kinda glad someone said something though otherwise I would not know I was annoying people with the sandy peterson stuff and the Olive garden poo poo.
It wasn't bothering me yet, but if it went on much longer it could get a bit monotonous. You'd probably realise that yourself though. And I did like the reaction it prompted in this video of "I told you, it's not Sandy Petersen!" :shrug:

Gloomy Rube posted:

I wouldn't mind having a video to watch every day :v:
I agree.

NGDBSS posted:

For a short history lesson, back in 2004 Fantasy Flight Games published Doom: the Boardgame, which was based partly on Doom 3 and partly on old dungeon crawlers such as the elder versions of D&D. Play consisted of several "human" players each controlling a Marine trying to fight off Invaders controlled by a separate "demon" player in deliberately adversarial style.
Sounds like Hero Quest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

Return To Phobos -- By Michael Kelsey
Part 1/2 (Part 35 Overall)
You mention in this video loading wads in the shareware version, and you can definitely do it, because I first got the shareware version of Doom on a disk with Simpsons Doom, and it worked with either the shareware or full version. I can't say whether there was something to prevent you from loading new maps though since that was all just sprite and sound replacements.

Temin_Dump posted:

Alright, this whole situation's starting to stress me out now. I think what I'm gonna do is finish posting this year's Doom wads as we've recorded them, and when we get to the next round of wads, I'll be considerably more discerning in what I choose to keep in the videos. Honestly, I'm having fun doing the videos the way we already are, but I want you guys to enjoy the experience as well.
I'd say as long as you're enjoying making them it doesn't really matter, since people can choose to skip stuff they find boring. You could also put a thing in the description to say whether there's anything particularly noteworthy and where it appears in the video if you wanted.

Temin_Dump posted:

Return to Phobos Part 2:
Part 2/2 (Part 36 Overall)
Your mention of Doom Guy doing the splits just made me wonder, is he Jean-Claude Van Damme?

Also, do you not like invisibility? I've noticed you seem to avoid picking it up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

What? Why did I never know about this?

You really weren't missing much. The sprites are all massive (so monsters clip through doorways and low ceilings and items block your view of stuff) and the audio clips seem to be fairly arbitrarily chosen and get super repetitive. You basically use cheats to skip around to a few different levels to see all the replacements and then never play it again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

[edit]my hope for DOG.WAD is a hacky implementation of dog mode from rise of the triad.

Replace fist with dog snout for the melee attack, replace BFG for the "everyone explodes" attack and make its projectile invisible. Job done.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

give me thread posted:

gently caress yeah DeHackEd! I used to screw around with it as a kid. You can make some cool poo poo, like a flame thrower out of the plasma gun by changing the plasma sprite to be the explosion spirte of an imp fireball, and the plasma hit sprite into an arch vile flame, increase the rate of fire. Or just up the rate of fire on the BFG for total splatter. Good times! You can totally gently caress around with it to make Doom crazy.

One of my favourites was to remove the reload frames from the super shotgun, set all its remaining frames' timing to the minimum, and replace the bullet puff and blood droplet with the rocket explosion. If you held down the fire button for more than about a second the game would crash. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

Serenity -- By Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath
Part 1/2 (Part 4 Overall).

I don't know exactly how it works, but there is certainly a difference between dropped shotguns and placed ones, because you can used DeHackEd to replace one while leaving the other. The thing is though, they're not separate objects.

The way it works is that each object has a Thing number and an ID number. The ones placed in the level reference the ID number and the dropped ones reference the Thing number. You can change ID numbers but not Thing numbers, so what you do is you swap the IDs of the shotgun and some other object, then placed shotguns will be the other thing while dropped ones will still be shotguns. From there you can mess with either one without affecting the other.

(I think this is accurate but it's been a while so I may have some details wrong)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

Doom II: Hell on Earth

Part 1/10 (Part 48 Overall)

I think those two lost souls who were stuck together are actually specifically positioned like that - it's not some weird glitch, it happens every time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

For me, these three maps basically are Doom II. They're the stand-out levels that really exemplify the Doom II experience.

Meaty Ore posted:

You , sir, are a hell of a lot better at fragging Mancubi than I am. I find them more of a PITA than revenants, personally; my first death usually comes at Dead Simple when I'm playing through.
I find revenants worse because mancubus fireballs can be dodged fairly easily as long as you've got enough space whereas revenant homing missiles are impossible to dodge if there's space. And revenants also punch you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I hate Refueling Base. It's not the worst level (because the worst section of the game is still to come) but it's often where I would stop playing.

Circle of Death is really cool though. And arch-viles are awesome. They're probably the hardest monster to get a handle on, but they're not too bad once you do, because literally any barrier will block them, no matter how small. As long as it blocks you from walking, it blocks the arch-vile attack. And raising the dead is always cool.

Actually, my only problem with them is that they're too cool. If they'd divided raising the dead and the arch-vile attack between two different monsters it would have been awesome, but as it is arch-viles are so dangerous and you have to kill them so quickly that you almost never get to see them revive anyone.

They do allow for some really awesome DeHackEd stuff though, because you can use that to split their abilities between different monsters. One of my favourite mods I made was to make it so that troopers dropped semi-invisible troopers with no attacks instead of bullets, and those semi-invisible troopers had the arch-vile resurrect ability, so basically you'd kill a zombie guy and his ghost could then re-possess the corpse or any other convenient corpse.

Temin_Dump posted:

E: Just remembered I wanted to ask you all something. Hypothetically, if there was a Doom wad that contained no custom music, how would you feel about me replacing the soundtrack with something different? I'm asking because there are plenty of wads that do just that, and I think it might get annoying hearing the stock music over and over again.
Don't care either way. The original music is great, but we've heard it so I don't mind hearing something else.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I actually like Coffee grumbling about Sandy Peterson's love of the most adorable monster. :colbert:
:same:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I hate these levels. In fact, I think I pretty much hate episode two. It's been a while, but I don't remember actually liking any of the city levels. It gets good again afterwards though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I think this is the one City level that I kind of almost like.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Here it is, the worst loving map, the suburbs. And the courtyard is neat conceptually, but to actually play it's just terrible. The city is the worst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

I believe the damage floor in that room actually ignores idkfa. To survive it you actually need idkfa2, which is also (iirc) the only way to survive a telefrag.

I'm pretty sure idkfa2 is not a cheat in the original version of the game (although for all I know it may be in one of the newer versions), and IIRC telefrags will kill you with god mode on (although not if you use DeHackEd to give yourself ludicrously high health). You will get stuck on whatever would have telefragged you though and have to noclip away (or kill it with rocket launcher splash damage).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Monster Condo always stuck out to me as a weird level that probably belonged in the second act of Doom 2. Maybe just after Suburbs? Thematically the level name really doesn't seem to correspond to what the level is... Just like Suburbs.

Except that, unlike the city levels, Monster Condo is good. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think John Romero being the man behind the Icon Of Sin is even more funny now because of everything that's happened since the game came out - he wasn't exactly a household name back in the early 90s so at the time that wouldn't have been more than an office in-joke that most people playing the game wouldn't have gotten. And now he's just know for the guy who made one of the worst, most over hyped game in history so it's even more ironic.

I wouldn't say he's just known for that. It's that and Doom.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This game is really cool. I've never actually played it (although I did play Hexen), but it seems like such a jump from Doom to this. There's all this cool new stuff, which is actually just iterations on previous stuff but is packaged in a way that makes it seem a lot more exciting than it is.

And I really like how you lose most of your inventory at the end of the level. I'm pretty sure it would have annoyed the poo poo out of me if I played It when it came out, but having played so many games that I finished with a full inventory of stuff I was saving "for when I really need it", I appreciate a game that just says "use it or lose it".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

makes all health items use-on-pickup, so you don't end up with a hoard of Quartz Flasks that you forget to use.

That sounds like a downgrade to me, because health items you can carry with you are a great solution to the issue you have in Doom and similar games of barely surviving an encounter and knowing that there's a bunch of health way back at the start of the level, but you don't want to go all the way back and get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mancubuses with tiny little wings is such a brilliant idea I can't believe I haven't seen it done.

And a fantasy BFG is obviously the hand of god from ROTT. You got as far as ROTT weapons but didn't think of that?