Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I am so glad you are doing the two semi-official wolfenstein 3D expansions. Amazingly, I have found a grand total of 0 people on the internet who have LPed it with commentary.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can't stop hearing "MEIN FROMAGE!" from the milkmen.

I hear "Mein Frobozz" but that's because I spent too much time playing text-games back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wasn't it just a Wolfenstein map pack with some new enemies thrown in (although I guess that could've been said of any of the original 6 episodes). I don't think I ever played it as a kid.

This is basically right, but it also comes with new music, and the level design takes a huge step up from regular Wolfenstein 3d from what I recall. Most of the levels are more compact, so it's harder to get lost, there's a lot of new tiles and decorations to help alleviate the monotony, and it overall feels like a more polished game.

They changed the chaingun pickup sound (IIRC) though which is laaaame.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Spear of Destiny itself is better than Wolfenstein 3D, but those mission packs for it are another story entirely.

The mission packs are interesting in their own right as they're basically a TC of wolfenstein 3d, with new textures, reskinned enemies with new sounds, etc. So at the very least we'll get to see more enemy bios!! :toot:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

It's kinda amazing how Commander Keen improved from the first game in a short amount of time. 2 and 3 have better level design by a lot compared to the various mazes in 1.

Though, watching this video was all I needed to finally realize that the aliens from Half-Life aren't the aliens from Keen, despite them both starting with Vorti-

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Capilarean posted:

Uh, have you played Keen 3? Because the level design is ABYSMAL. The whole game was cranked out in a couple weeks or so and it shows.

The answer to that question is "no I haven't" and I was just assuming it was good based on 2 and 4 :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Crembo posted:

Excellent LP so far, but one small gripe with the sound balance: when you talk, you overpower the music; but you never stop talking for more than two or three seconds. (which makes your "oh this is a nice song" comments a little frustrating)

Agreeing with this. I love "Jazzin' Them Nazis" the best out of all the songs in wolf3d, but I could barely hear it the whole time.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Temin_Dump posted:

Part 2 of SOD is ready to go
In case you were wondering what side games are coming up, we spoil them to no end in this one.

Can't wait until you go through Super 3d Noah's Ark! :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Huh, so the game I played as a kid was the sequel to Catacomb 3D: Catacomb 3D Abyss. It had a nice sense of progression as there was a different tile set and monsters for each level.

Both sequels are better design-wise, with way prettier areas and more interesting monsters, but there's literally no music instead of a repetitive track so that's... maybe good?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Shadowcaster's inventory system is exactly the same as I.M. Meen's. I wonder if they based it on the Shadowcaster engine?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

While checking to see what engine Meen uses, I discovered that apparently Shadowcaster had an automap? Did I miss you using it in the LP or did you not know there was one either?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one to pronounce "Gib" that way. "Jib" just sounds so dang weird to me.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Speaking of controls, I've become accustomed to using space bar as use because of early FPS games, so I can't handle the modern "Press E to use" system.

I for some reason also use E as jump and Z as crouch and I have no idea where that came from. It had to have been an early FPS, but I can't think of one that has crouching in it so maybe I'm just nuts.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The music was REALLY hard to hear this time, I didn't even realize there was music in the first level until I saw the little music thing pop up for the second level.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Xarn posted:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

---edit---
So I am using ZDoom and I am pretty sure the original Doom wasn't THAT dark and when I mess around with brightness, the bright area become painfully bright. Is my memory lying, or do I just need to wait till its dark outside?

Use software rendering

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Rushputin was amazing, and I'd love it if he could be in more episodes, that was wonderful. :allears:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

There are like... at least a hundred custom "megawad" type expansions people have made, including ones with sky textures that work like doom's skyboxes, upwards of nine different weapons with different ammo types, usually four different key colors, etc etc etc. This was actually a pretty huge thing, and there's a goon that's still making a new mod at the moment.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Curse you Morphogenetic Field, you brought all the bad guys back to life :argh:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm kinda sad that we're at the end of Wolf3d stuff. Some of the mods and stuff get pretty amazing, so I'm a teensy bit disappointed you're not going into them at all.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey, if you've got links, I'd be glad to cover them.

Oh dang alright, I'll try to find a really good one. Argh, the pressure!

I'd say a pretty good example of how much better mods are than the base games are would be something like the "Operation Eisenfaust" series. http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-eisenfaust-origins and http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-eisenfaust-legacy are where you can find them. The second one is especially 'different', with NPCs and dialogue and stuff like that.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I love your commentary but I really cannot stand Coffee's at all. It's either just "Sorry I wasn't paying attention", "Is this a Sandy Petersen level?" if you see a cacodemon, "Look it's Olive Garden" if you see a vine anywhere, pointing out something that happened quite a long time ago that didn't need to be pointed out, or laughing about something that isn't funny. It's really grating compared to your guys' commentary.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Temin_Dump posted:

OH GOD!!! SECRET'S OUT! Also, considering just doing a video a day for the Doom wads at this point. I can't stop myself. (Also, we're trying to clear up the backlog of videos we have at this point)

I wouldn't mind having a video to watch every day :v:

And thanks, Coffee, for promising to tone it down. I dunno what about it bugged me so much especially since everyone else seemed fine with it, though.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

0 deaths. I believe in you :colbert:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm guessing 7, some of the boss enemies have some brutal attacks.

Gosh, I love heretic, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

1995 was a brutal year. I'll go for 15 deaths.

Still think you'll do well

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Echoing the others in regards to really enjoying watching the playthroughs of the wads. Besides, they'll get more interesting as time goes on, we're still in 1994, the year of really really old wads. They really ramp up after a while.

Speaking of, I notice the list you're using only goes up to 2003. Are you going to be just using the cacowards to pick wads from 2004 onward?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

Is that the same Cyriak that makes stuff like this and this??

In addition to the answer being yes, he also composed all the music in his wad, and one of the songs used for a level is also used in a video (the one with all the chimpanzees)

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Honestly, the only beef I have with this LP is that Rushputin isn't the guest often enough :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm catching up after not watching for a while, and Temin, I would just like to say that it angers my doom sensibilities when you pick up a green armor when the last armor you picked up was blue and you're only at 50% or something!

Aaargh, you're taking needless extra damage!! :argh:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'd say 11 is pretty reasonable.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Amulets and Armor did get some patches and new releases after the LP, but the creators have dropped off the planet over the last few years. Maybe they'll come back with their promised windows version soon :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Temin_Dump posted:

I live..... Again.

So how are you all doing?

The only thing I know of that you missed is in E1M3, in one of the early versions, maybe shareware, there's a switch that raises the ground out of the acid pit early in that o-shaped room. If you hit the switch and run over the acid at the same time, it'll make both triggers fire and it'll just ascend endlessly, from what I recall. I know there was a video of this somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it, so it might have been a late beta or something instead, but I'm pretty sure it was in the original shareware, or an early early patch version.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

https://tcrf.net/Doom_(PC,_1993)/Revisional_Differences#E1M3:_Toxin_Refinery

The bug that occurs if you hit the switch too soon after running over was present in 1.0 (internally 0.99) the first release ever, which was shareware only. Version 1.1 of Doom, the first registered version, changes the lines to prevent this specific thing, because it can possibly crash the game when given enough time.

Ahh, thanks a lot, that page in general looks like it'll be a big help to Temin to look for stuff he missed, too!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Gonna guess 18, Hexen gets pretty brutal.

Also, are you planning to do the expansion packs to Heretic and Hexen any time?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Temin_Dump posted:

Yes, but they didn't come out until 1996, so they're a bit later on.

Gotcha. I've just seen LPers skip the expansions because "they're just more levels"

But I guess if you did the mission packs for Wolf 3d I shouldn't have been too concerned :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Temin_Dump posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/temin_dump

We're streaming Doom for Playstation and continuing Doomguy's Wacky Lemon Adventures in a few!

Out of curiosity, how many deaths did you have in PSX doom?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I play Hexen with a music replacement wad since the music's a bit too atmospheric and subtle for me, so it was weird seeing the ice world not being accompanied by a midi rendition of "Crocodile Rock" :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

From what I recall, the Wings of Wrath in Hexen, unlike the ones in Heretic actually are permanent? After using them, they continue to work through the other areas of the hub and only deactivate when you move onto the next one? I remember checking out the pit in the fire level.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Master levels... Just thinking of a certain one makes me wanna roll high. I'll guess 50

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Maybe the G in G-type stands for "Gun" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm gonna go for broke and guess 120 which was the correct answer to the previous one, so it should always be correct, right?