Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The video is horribly out of sync for me, audio is ~10 seconds ahead.

E: Apparently the "stop HTML5 autoplay" extension I was using in Chrome was at fault.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Temin_Dump posted:

We're gonna sprinkle all the keen games throughout the LP.

Rated 5 for having great taste in games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tenebrae was an unfinished mess, trying to shoehorn Doom 3-style lighting into Quake. It's like those HD texture packs, they just don't look right for the low-poly environments.

Quakespasm with linear texture filtering and software-style lighting, that's the way to play Quake. The textures were never meant to be bilinear filtered, they get all washed out looking. It's the same thing with Doom.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 21, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rabiddeity posted:

Silly question, but is there a reason the display portal on your copy of Doom is smaller than usual? I think on my copy I scaled it so the green borders weren't on the outside edge, and if you didn't care about the HUD you could scale it one above that. Is that just something that's limited on 1.1?

I think that's the default size.

Semi-related to that, there's an easter egg in ROTT where it says "get a 486 ;-)" if you set it to the minimum screen size.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LogicalFallacy posted:

From what I understand, the billion fireballs gun was originally supposed to just spray a poo poo-ton of projectiles but the rendering software/engine couldn't handle it, and so the way it now works is due to what's left of the code from when that was the plan.

chrisoya posted:

SCARYDARKFAST mentions the original BFG being a kind of Christmas-coloured firehose of projectiles, even more so than the plasma gun. Turns out that did awful things to the frame rate.

Lady Naga posted:

And I'm glad it did, because "the plasma gun, but moreso" sounds really lame.

0 rows returned posted:

It looked pretty loving stupid too. Here let me piss Christmas lights all over the screen for five seconds, that's great.

If you want to kinda see it in action and totally overpowered, use the secondary fire on the Powercube weapon in Russian Overkill.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

McKilligan posted:

I realize this may be quite a ways down the line, but when are you guys going to get to Heretic? I've got fond memories of playing and re-playing the original shareware more than can possibly have been healthy.

It was released a couple of months after Doom II, so I suspect it'll come after that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IDCHOPPERS :black101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Petr posted:

I wish they hadn't switched from Lovecraft to sci-fi poo poo for Quake 2. I want to see a Shambler in 2016 graphics.

Seconded so hard.

I want mind-bending Lovecraftian horror from impossible dimensions rendered with the all glory that a state of the art graphics engine will bring.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fish Noise posted:

Call of Pripyat's achievements were associated with individual saves rather than being universal, and each altered the game in some way, from things as simple as adjusting trader pricing to turning some areas into Jurassic Park war zones.

Man, that game was so drat amazing, especially with the Atmosfear mod. I really should get around to playing it again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Reelism has a pogo stick as a usable item.

It's also one hell of a crazy-rear end mod.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Oh no, mormons!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Temin_Dump posted:

Alright, this whole situation's starting to stress me out now. I think what I'm gonna do is finish posting this year's Doom wads as we've recorded them, and when we get to the next round of wads, I'll be considerably more discerning in what I choose to keep in the videos. Honestly, I'm having fun doing the videos the way we already are, but I want you guys to enjoy the experience as well.

Personally, I like the full-length video with all the talking and discussion about the mods and random stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

571 total videos
1,652 total deaths
147 deaths from 1994 WADs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tiggum posted:

Also, do you not like invisibility? I've noticed you seem to avoid picking it up.

It's only kinda-sorta useful for hitscan enemies.

For non-hitscan enemies, it just makes their targeting completely unpredictable, making it harder to dodge effectively.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If the cafeteria serves Mexican food, does that make it a Tacodemon?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

56 deaths!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh, this is vanilla Doom 2 only? around 20 deaths, I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Are you looking for period megawads, or just anything that works with vanilla Doom 2?

For some 90s classic wads, go for Memento Mori 1 & 2, Requiem and Icarus: Alien Vanguard are super solid choices.

For some more choices, Eternal Doom has some big-rear end levels, if you're into that. Dystopia 3: Re-Birth of Anarchy is very technically impressive. Hell Revealed is ultra hard, but good fun nonetheless. Vengeance feels like an expanded and more detailed version of the original levels. The Darkening is pretty rad, if a bit short. Same goes for The Darkening Episode 2. Revolution! is solid, all-around. SlayeR is short, but sweet. The original Community Chest is pretty good and just barely predates the Cacowards.

These are all pre-Cacoward WADs, but there are newer, vanilla-compatible WADs out there as well, if you need more choices.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 26, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You've got to be careful with that sort of thing. That's how you get invincible monsters.

Well, not quite. You need to get a monster resurrected by an Arch-Vile at the exact moment it's being crushed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thyrork posted:

So here's a question for you, why does using the chainsaw move you around so much?

Because you're sawing flesh and bone with a rapidly moving toothed chain powered by a single-cylinder combustion engine, an inherently unstable design.

It's probably for gameplay reasons, it sort of locks you on to monster and sucks you towards the next one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

7 deaths in Heretic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:vince:

Dude, you've been missing out on some quality* 90s action.

* If you want to play Heretic, the Heretweak mod is essential, because the weapons are boring as gently caress in unmodded form. I feel bad for Temin that he'll have to play through the whole game like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here it is in action, with the Elf Gets Pissed wad, a pretty good set of maps.

Enemy and weapon spoilers ahead, obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnOUZPCZGs

The tweaks and changes aren't that big, but they make a huge difference in gameplay.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 28, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I couldn't handle it, I had to turn off the video.

Because it was spooky.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks for the shout-out, Temin :)

Heretweak changes a couple of other things, aside from the weapons. It also gives the Time Bomb of the Ancients a more grenade-like trajectory, and makes all health items use-on-pickup, so you don't end up with a hoard of Quartz Flasks that you forget to use. It does change the dynamics of the gameplay, but not in a huge way.

I like it, but I'm sure the Heretic purists out there would hate it.

E: Just to make it clear, I have no involvement in the mod, I just like it a lot.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 20, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PSWII60 posted:

Also why do people hate Brutal Doom? I never tried it but it seemed like a decent enough mod.

Because it fundamentally changes the core gameplay of Doom, a lot of people declared it "the ONLY way to play Doom", and if mapmakers base their maps on Brutal Doom's balance, it completely messes up the balance in vanilla or other mods.

Personally, I think the hate is a bit strong. It's just a mod.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

27 deaths, ah-ah-ah!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He also did the soundtrack for the ROTT remake, and the remix EP for the 3D Realms Anthology pack.

He is the go to guy for awesome game-related butt metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRs0xFiEikI

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 1, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would be hard pressed to name my absolute favorite game ever, but Keen 4 is a very strong contender.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Being able to shoot up and down comes in super handy, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's an idle animation where Keen sits down and reads a book if you don't touch the controls for a while.

Try letting it play out while standing on a moon in the moon temple.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes, finally! And almost exactly on the 25th anniversary!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mooseontheloose posted:

Quake is brining back a lot of memories of mid 90s gaming. The sound design in this game is pretty good for the time and glad to see you all play it.

Quake has some of the best sound design, not just for the 90s. The grinding stone and chain-driven elevator sounds are particularly nice, and of course the clearly distinguishable monster sounds when they spot you are great for knowing which kind of fight you're getting into.

Not to mention the haunting ambient sound. The soundtrack is pretty good too, but I think I prefer playing without it, to really let the ambient sounds shine.

And of course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sl4dA-T53I

Diablo is another game that has just spot-on sound design and coincidentally came out the same year. Just like Quake, everything sounds heavy and meaty and purposeful.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 18, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

16-bit color is shooting a bit high, OG Quake is good old indexed 8-bit color. It's one of the main reasons behind the grungy aesthetic and the heavy focus on brown and earthy tones, with just a few select bright accent colors. In order to get smooth shadows, fades, and highlights on such a limited amount of colors, you need to limit yourself to just a few main colors.

https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Quake_palette

Count 'em 256 colors, baby!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 30, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ahoy must be playing on a source port, since he's got higher resolution and what looks like GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR texture filtering. Probably also turned up the brightness for video purposes, but hardware accelerated Quake has always been brighter than software Quake, AFAIK.

I'm of the opinion that software-rendered Quake is the look the game was always intended to have, with pixelated textures and grungy, filthy, dank environments, scarcely lit with torches and full of looming shadows. To this day, I try to replicate that look when I replay it in a modern source port.

Cranking up the hardware-accelerated filtering and smooth 32-bit color robs a lot of the atmosphere.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 31, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doom may have been the cultural phenomenon that propelled the FPS genre to the forefront, but Quake is the Big Daddy of 3D engines.

Odds are, if your FPS 3D engine in the late 90s and through the 00s didn't trace its lineage to the Quake engine, it used the Unreal Engine as a distant second.

The IW engine used in the Call of Duty games today? Direct lineage to Quake.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's just something solid about how the Quake(-derived) engines feel, like a brick building compared to a timber frame, it feels like they don't flex and bend under load, if that makes any sense at all.

Maybe it's just me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey everyone. Sorry for the delay again. I've been struggling with depression lately, but I've finally got this thrown together. Thanks for your patience!

Thank you for doing this absolutely gigantic project of an LP!

I can't believe it's been going for six years at this point :monocle:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Reading his Twitter, 2022 Romero is a pretty cool dude.

https://mobile.twitter.com/romero

Think of him as a reformed bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that was a cool bit of mapping. Recognizable, but tweaked just enough to work well in the Doom engine.