Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And if anyone were wondering just exactly how ridiculous that pushwall maze is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Obviously Hitler needed a lot of milkmen to make sure he always had milk for breakfast. I mean, we all know what he thought of juice.

(I'm sorry)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

THE BAR posted:

I can just imagine Hitler sitting down for his Kruppflakes, raging over the lack of milk.
You gave me an idea, and one thing led to another. Kind of counts as LP fanart as it bridges the gap between the Nocturnal missions and the first three episodes, and it wouldn't have happened if you hadn't started calling the officers milkmen.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 21, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also, I actually have the Spear of Destiny big box. Bought it for super cheap at some point. When looking now the floppies aren't actually in the box so they're probs in a floppy case at my parent's place, but the box and manual are here... as well as a "warranty registration" card you apparently were meant to mail to FormGen. I can snap some pictures if wanted.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember playing... I think it was Strife? Some PC 2D run-and-gunner that had mouse aiming
Strife is a Doom engine game, you're probably thinking of Abuse. Which is a pretty good game.

For controls, a thing I found was that I prefered having strafe left/right on the same row as moving forwards, so I've opted for WERD as my base. Pinky rests naturally on A for crouch and I just feel like I can reach more keys if my default finger position is on WER than WAD (or ESF for that matter). Jump I've used the right mouse button for since the DN3D/Quake days.

(also invert mouse forever)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is this only for Doom 1? I ask because this isn't the case for Doom 2, which has a map with 'own species' infighting.
It's always true for enemies that fire visible projectiles - but it doesn't apply to hitscanners, who'll shoot and aggro each other no problem, even among the same enemy type. Might that be what you're thinking of?

That Barons and Hell Knights won't infight was for some time thought to be because they shoot the same type of projectile, but it's actually a hardcoded exception in the Doom II engine. Some console ports and Doom 64 don't have that exception, letting them infight each other as they would any other monsters.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, now that I'm caught up, I can finally correct you about the Super Shotgun: In the first Doom II video, you claimed it fires 15 pellets per shot, just barely more than 2x regular shotgun. This is, in fact, wrong - it's 20 pellets per shot, so just under 3x the pellets for 2x the ammo.

Also, interesting tidbit about the Firemace: It's not a guaranteed spawn, and only one can exist in a level. A placed Firemace only has a ~75% chance to actually show up, and if more than one are placed, only one can actually appear and the others will either be replaced with other Things (in v1.0 - as per the Doom Wiki, Disciples of D'Sparil in E1, Weredragons in E2, Ophidians in E3, and (through a bug) Shadowspheres in the E4 secret slots) or just become nothing (in later versions). River of Fire, where it first appears, has three possible locations for it.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 21, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh, yeah, I guess information in annotations are lost to me since I watch the videos in mpv through the Open With extension and annotations don't show up there.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, Commander Keen is canonically BJ's grandson, and the mobile Wolfenstein RPG confirms that Doomguy is a descendant of BJ (though the canonicity of the mobile RPGs can be disputed, just work with me here).

So, either Commander Keen's the father of Doomguy... or Commander Keen is Doomguy as a kid. (though the Doom RPG character is named Stan Blazkowicz, I'm just now finding out from the Doom Wiki.)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Shotgun Guy's shotgun is much weaker than Doomguy's. The Shotgun Guy only shoots three pellets, each one doing 3-15 damage (which is the damage range every hitscanner shot in the game has, from the Zombieman up to even the Spider Mastermind). The player's shotgun shoots seven pellets at 5-15 damage each.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

:eng101: Extremely minor correction regarding the Pain Elementals: You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them" The Lost Soul limit is actually 21, not 20.

Additionally, as opposed to gif, gib is actually supposed to be pronounced with a soft g, as it comes from "giblets".

And perhaps most importantly, we've been wrong about Cacodemons this whole time. They don't ride bicycles, they use skates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

If I were to design an actual Doom chess set (which has to exist already but anyway) without restrictions for choices, off the top of my head I'd probably go with...
Pawn - Imp (most common monster in stock Doom)
Rook - Baron of Hell (iconic heavy hitter)
Knight - Cacodemon (flying, and really the most iconic Doom monster)
Bishop - Arch-Vile (the priest of the demons)
Queen - Spider Mastermind (the only demon considered female, and one of the two big boss demons)
King - Cyberdemon (while being the strongest enemy isn't really fitting the chess king, it fits for being the final boss of the game)
(or the comedy option: King - Romero's head)

But if I were to put a chessboard in an actual level, so the monsters should be similar sized and not too much bullshit in one room, I think I'd pick (without having really looked closely at what was on the one in Hell Revealed):
Pawn - Imp (same reason)
Rook - Demon (runs straight at you and at least looks bulky)
Knight - Cacodemon (can attack from above other monsters)
Bishop - Revenant (attacks from angles)
Queen - Arch-Vile (fast and can hit you basically anywhere)
King - Baron of Hell (slow royalty)