Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Didn't see this mentioned, but way back, the shareware version of Wolf3D (at least the one I had), was an older engine than the one that made retail release. The most notable difference I found was that push-walls didn't slide, while they and all other doors kinda snapped to their open state.

Adlib effects were.... interesting, especially all the digitized speech and sampled sounds (guard exclamations, etc.). It's funny also that some of the regular effects like ammo and food pickups stay the same, even when using SoundBlaster in the settings.

Anecdote: Wolf3D was the first thing my dad and I played when he splurged on the Soundblaster PRO. Hearing the metal door in E1M1 and the ACHTUNG! for the first time are memories he and I still yammer on about today :gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Temin_Dump posted:

I went and looked for a video of this, and was unable to find it. Do you have a link to a recording of this? I'm interested to see that.

I can't find anything either. Sorry :(

I remember it was a very limited demo. Maybe just the first episode. I stunk at the game way back, and I got stuck on floor six, so I'm not sure if Hans was even in it at floor 9. I was playing on a 286 and the splash screen looked different, more pixelated. EGA maybe...

e: A clue I just found at https://tcrf.net/Wolfenstein_3D_(DOS) says that "Salute" was cut music used for the splash theme in the prototype version of Wolf (whatever that means). THAT is the theme I remember hearing when the game started. I have no idea how on earth I had that version of the game!

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 14, 2016