Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just came home with a handle of Old Crow and a fifth of Old Overholt. My daily whiskies are now duly restocked.

A shame I don't really drink soda, anymore. I sometimes miss my dirty secret love of Black Velvet and Canada Dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Old Overholt makes a simple but tasty enough old fashioned. Jim Beam rye does a bit better but is four-six bucks more spendy per bottle so gently caress it. Overholt wins for the ability to grab a pound or two of sausage at the deli with the savings to grill while half-cocked.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Jack Daniels is perfectly respectable if simple for its price. And I'm a guy that never buys or even orders it.

If you wanna talk rotgut, that'd be my beloved Black Velvet or LTD.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cossack is the best cheap gin followed by Seagram's. That those flatlander fucks in Mass. have better well gin than the Jenkins poo poo in the Granite State makes me sad.

Gonna console myself with an Old Crow sour. Witb egg white because gently caress all y'all.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

At campground in Maine. Have fifth of Old Grand Dad and a dog.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Update: Threw dog in the Atlantic while sipping Old Grand-Dad out of a stainless mug. Is good. ME has a 15 cent bottle refund so I'm going to have to be responsible and empty it before leaving to get the most money back.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Update, Day Two:

OGD half-empty. Will have to finish off through the day after my ride. And get another on the way home, tomorrow. Morning hot chocolate got spiked because gently caress you, bourbon at any time when tent living. Dog has not spilled the whiskey. Is good dog.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Large chainring on my road bike is toast and cranked its last nine miles from camp. Brown ng my sorrows in bourbon just sloshed in a mug. Grand-Dad really does look out for ya.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like Johnnie Red for a do-all mixing or passing around straight with friends at the ungodly hours Scotch. J&B Rare with its pencil eraser tones for just mixing with ginger ale. gently caress Fanous Grouse.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I think I'm one of very few defenders of McClelland's Islay as a very simple but serviceable bottle. Going to have to try their other stuff but will likely be disappointed.

In the meantime:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I refuse to buy it because of the dumbass name. N.E. needs a regional flage so I can point and say, "these colors don't run."

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

I refuse to buy it because of the dumbass name. N.E. needs a regional flage so I can point and say, "these colors don't run."

gently caress you, thread. Just bought a handle of Rebel Yell on the way home and my pointless boycott has come to an end. Sours gonna happen to try it out when guests get here.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rebel Yell is underwhelming but alright neat, better and worth doing if basic on the rocks, and doesn't make a very good sour. Old Crow makes a better sour. Need to grab more Old Grand-Dad to compare in a sour and on the rocks. OGD is rougher than Rebel Yell and the rye gives it more spice so it may hold up better to the lemon in a sour though it's not as sociable neat.

I'd but Rebel Yell again and it's a decent sipper at twentybucks a handle, but think OGD and Old Crow will remain my favorite cheap bourbons.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TheChaosPath posted:

Sounds like you done hosed up pretty hard to me

Trumpets own, shut your dirty mouth. :mad:

https://youtu.be/qc57-IcwnB0

https://youtu.be/fz0l1dn8L4U

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I thought it was supposed to be made w brandy...some body please clear this up

Traditionally made with whatever brown spirit was handy. Quite a bit was made with rum in the colonies, especially New England and whiskey crept in, as well. Rye's spice holds up to the sugar and cherry well where brandy or bourbon could get a bit flat, boring, and overly sweet.

I'm rather fond of infusing Seagram's gin with cherry and no sweetener, as well. Makes great tonics and yummy with the old fashioned treatment.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The French Army! posted:

Spiced rum is awful but I'll be damned if it doesn't go down perfect with some cold mulled cider.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Finally tried Evan Williams. It's less harsh taken neat than Old Grand-Dad but not as peppy and interesting in flavor. Going to have to play with it more to see if I like it enough to make a regular. Rebel Yell may give it a run for its money in the boring but decent enough neat spot on the shelf.

Also completely ran out of Old Overholt but have a batch of cherry bounce infusing in the cupboard to show for it. :f5:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Evan Williams is growing on me. Makes a respectable sour. Not gonna replace Old Crow as my go-to sour whiskey, though. Increasingly passable neat to tie with Rebel Yell. Probably over-all better since Rebel Yell makes a substandard sour.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

How'd you do your bounce recipe? How long fixing to leave it?

http://imbibemagazine.com/Cherry-Bounce-Recipe/

With the lemon juice and reduced sugar for sweet cherries.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Drinking an Evan Williams old fashioned with a big, wide bit of orange zest and the world can suck it. Mellow time.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

a dog from hell posted:

Why would you drink cheap whiskey when there's even cheaper vodka that gives you the spins the next morning?

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

101 owns but gently caress you, I'm finishing the last of this here bottle of Evan Williams.

• Locked thread