Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
As a retail slave who is stuck in the Kafkaesque nightmare of liquor store management I'm going to have to agree with Evan Williams black as the best cheap whiskey.

Seagram's 7 is a neutral spirit blend, by the way. Not actually whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hi vendagoat we should hangout again I miss your puns. :)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Not all blended whiskeys have neutral spirit in them. Nor do all whiskeys have caramel following added. Whiskey is not bourbon and this thread is filled with a lot of retarded misinformation.

Legally bourbon must be 51-52% corn mash minimum, 24 months in a NEW oak cask. There is no geographic constraint on bourbon production.

Neutral spirit is not 'vodka'. Neutral spirit is a high proof, generally corn based concentrate spirit that can be redistilled and have the hearts pulled from the run, or just watered and filtered down through charcoal. This makes vodka as most people know it, at least your big name brand producers.

Edit: one of my customers just bought a bottle of hakushu 12 year Japanese single malt and let me try some as I was typing up this post. They stuff is tasty.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
It's not as cool as you think. Lots of smelly idiots at 10am shaking so bad you'd think they have Parkinson's, not raging alcoholism. Many hours bored, reading books and watching TV. Many more hours arguing with the mop bucket over foreign policy. He likes Fox.

And as I've mentioned over in the retail thread, the ice machine keeps telling me to kill myself for wasting my life. So it's not all fun and games. :shobon:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

FrankieGoes posted:

What do you do with bourbon? What is bourbon? Is it whisky but like single malt or aged in a toilet or its whisky but from Kentucky? How do you drink it? rocks? neat? Can i drink it with ice and diet pepsi?

As mentioned earlier, bourbon is 52% corn mash minimum aged in a NEW oak barrel for two years with no geographic constraint on production. Single malt is whiskey made of one type of malted grain, generally barley at a single distillery. In the case of single malts, blending between barrels is legally allowed and the age statement indicates the youngest spirit. I believe there are some rules concerning the aging of blended whiskeys as well, but I'm not sure what they are.

As for "what" to do with bourbon, that's a matter of taste. Anything marked single barrel or small batch it's generally best to just sip it on the rocks, but that's not entirely important. I do not classify these products in the "cheap whiskey" realm as generally they're going to be $30+. Examples: Eagle Rare, Weller 12, and Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 Year, Basil Haydens, and so on. Something to also consider is the fact that age statements are being dropped by manufacturers due to shortages. Jim Beam 8 Year is now VX, a blending of 6/7 year barrels. Keep a close eye on the labeling for this when picking middle to higher end bourbons.

There are few good cheap single malts, mainly just McLellands but don't expect it to blow your mind. Try Glenlivet for quality but again this is far from the core topic of "best cheap whiskey".

• Locked thread