Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASb4aL2nrEI

Containment is an American miniseries, based on the Belgian TV series Cordon. The show was officially ordered as a series by The CW on May 7, 2015, and debuted on April 19, 2016. The series follows an epidemic that breaks out in Atlanta, leaving the large city quarantined and those stuck on the inside fighting for their lives.

Missed the pilot episode and still curious? Watch it here: http://www.cwtv.com/shows/containment/pilot/?play=9b5bfa64-43e9-4126-bc48-4c847832369e

My opinion after watching it: meh. I like that it's not another zombie flick and there's some realism to a deadly virus outbreak. There are many protagonists who are pretty much there to take you to the different aspects of the city-wide quarantine, but by the end of the episode I didn't really care much for them, at least not yet. Perhaps if there were less I would think it was better. There are already two who are showing a romantic interest, but I think I wanted to get to know them a little bit more than what was squeezed into the pilot episode. The effects that the virus does to people is done pretty well.

All in all I think I'll keep watching it and see where this goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'll give it a couple episodes. It is refreshing to see an outbreak show that isn't about zombies, but it also didn't really pull me in.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
To be honest, I find it hard to watch these shows because they are either hyper efficient (as they were here) or radically incompetent (Blacklist).

The doctor develops "symptoms" 16 hours after exposure and they:
1) immediately recognise that it is something super serious
2) immediately realise that it is the Syrian refugee
3) initiate contract tracing and round up all known contacts within 8 hours

From my experiences with this kind of stuff, with no prior alerts of a superbug, I just don't see any of this happening before there are death counts or a serious amount of hospital admissions.

Also, declaring a mortality rate of 100% after the first three (?) cases died???

I did appreciate it when they went to the Syrians house and he charged at the EIS guy and the policeman, and the EIS guy dived out of the way and was like "gently caress this poo poo, I'm not going to let him touch me, so I don't know how we are going to bring him in against his will". That was realistic at least!

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also a person with influenza is contagious before symptoms develop, so god knows how many people the doctor actually had contact with??

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Major reminds me of Dave Chappelle in the same disconcerting way that the son in FTWD reminds me of Johnny Depp to the point it takes me out of it because I'm waiting for the joke. Otherwise it's holding my interest.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I liked it. I mean, it had pilot-itis where it's throwing characters at us, telling us/showing us their personalities and it's a bit of a mess, plus Claudia Black has blonde hair (:confused: ). But...I enjoyed it enough to tune in next week and see what else it has.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
My only complaint is that they didn't give any indication whatsoever as to the range of contagion. 2 to 3 feet? 10 to 15 feet? 5 to 7 feet?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Better or worse than the pilot of iZombie, CW's best show?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

this show isn't going to build a fan base like iZombie, that's for sure.

I think there's been more misses than hits when it comes to American remakes of foreign TV shows, so I'm watching this with lowered expectations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I enjoyed the first episode but I really don't want this to become, RARGH BIG BAD GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO NOTHIN' RIGHT.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slamhound posted:

My only complaint is that they didn't give any indication whatsoever as to the range of contagion. 2 to 3 feet? 10 to 15 feet? 5 to 7 feet?

They said bodily fluids and that it was a modified form of influenza.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Saw Claudia Black, so I'm all in.

Fairly solid so far. I did have a huge issue with patient zero/bioterrorist being Syrian, because of course he is..

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It seems to me they would have rolled out the biohazard stuff significantly quicker than they did but v:shobon:v what do I know. Seemed odd that, say, the guy attending patient zero wasn't a big rubber suit.

Also, really unfortunate they went with the Syrian angle but 'ripped from the headlines' I guess.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I wanted this to be good but it seems like they set the show during the least interesting part of the outbreak, so it just turned into a police/hospital procedural with some extra characters thrown in for flavor.

One episode pre-disaster? Sure. Set everyone up, show a little bit of everyone's life so we know where they came from. Two episodes? Okay, I mean, I guess they want us to empathize with what they lost and this lets us contrast their lives before everything went to poo poo with the present day where they're just trying to survive...

But it looks like this pre-game poo poo is just going to keep rolling, forever teasing us with the lead up. Lots of characters I don't care about doing things that don't matter, while the virus hangs out in the background.

I guess maybe I was wanting The Division: The TV show, and instead I got Grey's Anatomy: Outbreak.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ugh, evil blogger stereotypes.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
So... the reporter/blogger guy just gave the local cop grief because he's only being told what he needs to do by the health officials and not kept in the loop on the big picture stuff? That... seems like a really weird plot point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

So... the reporter/blogger guy just gave the local cop grief because he's only being told what he needs to do by the health officials and not kept in the loop on the big picture stuff? That... seems like a really weird plot point.

He watched Contagion and wants to be Jude Law.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

I also got a bit of a vibe that he thinks the government is flat out lying, and that he thinks the Syrian kid wasn't actually the source of the outbreak, the Doctor gave it to him, and they planted the evidence on the kid before the cops got to him.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched eps 1 & 2, and was entertained. Haven't seen Cordon that is mentioned in the OP but Containment is similar to the Korean movie, Flu, from 2013.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I love having Claudia Black on my tv again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nice to humanize the evil blogger a bit.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Am I the only person watching this?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Nah, I'm still watching it, although I'm not sure why.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

Nah, I'm still watching it, although I'm not sure why.

I kinda think it's interesting and no completely reliant on end of the world scenarios.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'm still watching it too. It's starting to grow on me, but man the first two or three episodes were bland. I'm still waiting for the big reveal when we find out this is all a sadistic science experiment.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I find the conspiracy guy pretty annoying, we have seen no evidence of government conspiracies, and his antics have already gotten one person killed.
The arguments used against him shouldn't be that the law allows it, but that he is putting the whole country at risk.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm just glad it isn't fuckin' zombies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Last episode was pretty drat good.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

wormil posted:

Last episode was pretty drat good.

I am glad it's only one season though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am glad it's only one season though.

I said that about 12 Monkeys.

Edit, this week's episode wasn't so good, bunch of plot convenient moments.

wormil fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 19, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It was two weeks before they started bringing food into the quarantine zone? That doesn't make any sense, they would've run out of food days before that

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No it was like six days.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am but yeah I could take it or leave it.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

it isn't a great impressive show but I'm digging it for what it is, regardless of its flaws

I'm getting some entertainment value out of it and that's what matters to me in the long run

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Last few episodes are dragging. I still look forward to it every week but not as much.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I watched the first few eps, but it seems fairly by the numbers. Meh, is the operative word.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The more “action packed” episode wasn’t as interesting as anything dealing with how people are dealing with the plague/cordon in previous ones.

I’m still enjoying it, however I’m glad it’s a “limited series event.” It’ll conclude before it can wear out its welcome completely.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel like there were six or seven good episodes that were padded to make 13 or however many there are. Some of it is decent drama but the action scenes were written by a hack. And the main cop dude is starting to wear thin, as a character he's all over the place.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Which main cop dude, Erstatz Dave Chappelle, or the one behind the walls? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Astroman posted:

Which main cop dude, Erstatz Dave Chappelle

Yeah him, Lex (I had to look up his character's name). I guess both guys can be considered main cop dudes although I think of Lex as THE main cop. I like the concept but it was done much better in the Korean, Flu.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2351310/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

• Locked thread