Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

In the news this morning

IKEA reissues safety warning after another toddler is killed by falling dresser

http://www.today.com/home/ikea-reissues-safety-warning-after-another-toddler-killed-falling-dresser-t87416%5C

ur #1 spot for IKEA news posted:

A 22-month-old Minnesota boy, Ted McGee, died in February when he tipped one of IKEA's popular Malm dressers on top of him in his room...

...In 2014, a 2-year-old Pennsylvania boy and a 23-month-old boy from Washington state were both fatally pinned under IKEA dressers after tipping them over.

Since IKEA furniture is already named using a made up ooga booga language, I thought this would be a great opportunity to do some rebranding of some of the more popular pieces, such as.

becomes

or

becomes

IKEA uses bold verdana font if you care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IKEA is just doing its part to help natural selection.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Infidel Castro posted:

IKEA is just doing its part to help natural selection.

can't fix what's not broken

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
Oh great.., I own this exact model. Wish they were doing a true recall, its such a piece of crap I would have loved to get my 150 dollars back.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what a dumb kid

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IKEA is big in the abortion game now.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Of course the Tillfalle will fall over. It says "occasional table" and "fall" is right in the drat name! :rolleyes:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But occasionally it will work as a table. :colbert:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It is a table every other weekend, and thanksgiving on odd numbered years and christmas on even years.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
This s like the HD tv fad a few years back in chicago where kids would get crushed to death by HD Tvs that were too big for the tables they were on.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
L brackets? Never heard of them.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
IKEA should just plaster everything they sell with these lawsuit-proof stickers

BOOM problem solved

EDIT: it could be a dancing baby instead of a dancing man

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I guess this is why you dont here people brag about Swedish "engineering"! :v:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

OlmanRiver posted:

Oh great.., I own this exact model. Wish they were doing a true recall, its such a piece of crap I would have loved to get my 150 dollars back.

Use a bracket or something to secure it to the wall. Even the cheapo compressed particle board furniture I got from Walmart came with a strap to screw to the wall.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

IKEA is big in the abortion game now.

well duh widdle udm dum they always were, where do you think they get those infinite supply of cheap swedish meatballs from???

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

into

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

notZaar posted:

Use a bracket or something to secure it to the wall. Even the cheapo compressed particle board furniture I got from Walmart came with a strap to screw to the wall.

I'm fairly certain the IKEA stuff also comes with a bracket to secure it to the wall.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

what's Swedish for "Child-Breaker"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Prettz posted:

kindersplatten, oh no wait, that's german

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

notZaar posted:

For the record, I have this dresser, and it comes with built in L brackets to attach it to your wall. It warns you that if you don't all your kids will die.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I love cutesy pictograms that warn of death and dismemberment

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

frikken epic dresser

the WIN table

failsauce kitchen table

the NOPE closet

hahahah :D :D

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
loss.jpeg

but put the funny swedish dickery doos zero slash thing on the o

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Only americans will start a lawsuit over something easily prevented by not ignoring the instructions and the included safety features.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Indy posted:

Only americans will start a lawsuit over something easily prevented by not ignoring the instructions and the included safety features.

Norway violated Anders Breviks human rights by only giving him a PS2, and not a more modern console.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
malm? more like main :grin:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Indy posted:

Those lawsuits are good, keep those big corps from just rolling over the populus.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

notZaar posted:

Making a piece of furniture with a heavier bottom and low center of gravity is a tall order, you can't expect cheap furniture companies to pay somebody to actually think about the design process!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

My Q-Face posted:

Making a piece of furniture with a heavier bottom and low center of gravity is a tall order, you can't expect cheap furniture companies to pay somebody to actually think about the design process!

It's not about the functionality, it's about making it as lightweight and cheap as possible to maximize profits. They know exactly what they're doing.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nooner posted:

malm? more like main :grin:

Main, more like maim.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Hey Donna...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T2oje4cYxw

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Prettz posted:

barn brytaren, but barn krossaren is probably more correct.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

notZaar posted:

It's not about the functionality, it's about making it as lightweight and cheap as possible to maximize profits. They know exactly what they're doing.

Replace the bottom two drawers of everything with an empty bladder that the consumer is required to fill with water or concrete.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Zombiepop posted:

barn brytaren, but barn krossaren is probably more correct.
shouldn't both of those be written as one word, not two?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

My Q-Face posted:

they actually did think about it, which is why they tell you to mount it to a wall because they know the centroid is hosed and the slightest lateral force will tip it over.

it's intentionally built out of the cheapest balsa-wood material possible so its easy to produce+transport so they designed it to be mounted, it's just people are lazy and don't want to finish the last step for variety of dumb reasons.

ikea furniture is actually very well designed for their purposes--perhaps not the best built cause its like slave labor in like arkansas factories making GBS threads that stuff out by the minute.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 22, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Prettz posted:

childenborken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012