Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I grew up near chanhassen and friends grew up very close to paisley. Prince was a very very eccentric person but make no mistake he was a seriously good person and spent a fair amount of time volunteering in the community - totally under the radar too, no fanfare.

I never went to any of his parties but my friends did including his first pajama + pancakes all night party maybe 6 or so years ago. They said it was amazing, there were kids there with their parents and grandparents in wheelchairs, everyone just have a fun time shaking it to the best of their ability. He was one good man and it really sucks if the rumor are true (needing a hip replacement and his dumb rear end religion not allowing transfusions). loving religion ruins everything.

And yes, he absolutely did go door to door in mn neighborhoods asking if they knew the good news and trying to spread the religion. Which is a trip and a half, but how do you slam the door in prince's face? Probably got a fair share of converts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Yeah, but he was really protective of his IP so he may as well be satan himself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my only hope is that now that he has died, they will finally reprint some of his old records and stuff. I love prince but god drat is it hard to listen to his music unless you just happen to have a copy of "COME" handy from 25 years ago laying around.

Come was a pretty bad album though, from what I remember one side was just sex sounds for like 20 minutes??? I haven't heard it since probably 98 or so, my memory may be off.

Letitgo was pretty cool though

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Come was pretty good. The title track, Space, Pheremone, Let It Go, Race...it did fizzle out near the end and got bogged down by self indulgence. That was, sadly, a pattern he continued with for a long loving time. As far as hard to find great 90's material goes, I recommend The Gold Experience and Exodus.

Almost all his records have at leas one or two sheer classics on them and at least 3 or 4 keepers but his consistency certainly waned over the years. I never realized how much of his stuff was out of print. I have a virtual library - an entire shelf of Prince Cd's and memorabelia. Maybe I should shuffle off to ebay.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah it was basically him loving with warner brothers afaik. even when he was taking a piss with everyone he could drop some killer tunes. i'm kind of having an existential crisis because my heroes were bowie, queen and prince.

they're all dead now!

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

my only hope is that now that he has died, they will finally reprint some of his old records and stuff. I love prince but god drat is it hard to listen to his music unless you just happen to have a copy of "COME" handy from 25 years ago laying around.

dude try watching his videos; nothing but VHS rips streaming from Chinese pirate sites

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BiggerBoat posted:

Come was pretty good. The title track, Space, Pheremone, Let It Go, Race...it did fizzle out near the end and got bogged down by self indulgence. That was, sadly, a pattern he continued with for a long loving time. As far as hard to find great 90's material goes, I recommend The Gold Experience and Exodus.

Almost all his records have at leas one or two sheer classics on them and at least 3 or 4 keepers but his consistency certainly waned over the years. I never realized how much of his stuff was out of print. I have a virtual library - an entire shelf of Prince Cd's and memorabelia. Maybe I should shuffle off to ebay.
Saw a fantastic show on AXS tv last night about his 90s music, specifically the battle with Warner Bros, lawyers, himself, etc. It shines a lot of light into why the records from that era were spotty. He spent so much time trying to make a point to WB, tossing them poo poo to fulfill his contract, (Old Friends For Sale, Chaos and Disorder) and poo poo-talking their releases, (Come) pitting it directly against his own stuff, (Gold Experience), which oversaturated the markets.

The best things about the show is how many times critics flat out say, "oh he was loving crazy at the time, but, now, everything he said was ahead of its time: music available via computers instead of record stores, artists taking more and more control away from labels."

Now, sure, it'd be nice to credit him completely with that poo poo, but I think he happened to spew a few pieces of crazy that would come true, versus the rest of his poo poo that made no sense... armageddon, the new power generation, (not his band, but the revolution of music fans that would change the face of music... I mean, sure, he brought about a TON of folks with purple denim jackets with that symbol air brushed on the sleeve, but, whatever).

My favorite moments in the show were the critics saying his music was amazing during that time, (Come in particular) but that it was impossible to hear the music without all the crazy swirling around at the same time.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ooooo

Perhaps the most significant time capsule of all live shows, the legendary August 3, 1983 benefit gig at First Avenue was the first time anybody on the planet would hear several soon to be career defining staples all at once.

Includes the world debut of: I Would Die 4 U, Computer Blue, Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy, Baby I'm A Star, & Electric Intercourse. You can tell that several of these tunes are still just works in progress which makes this reveal at the creative process all the more unique & special as a glimpse into The Revolution creating magic, before our very eyes & ears.

Also of significance, this show marked the introduction of Wendy Melvoin, replacing Dez Dickerson on guitar, cementing The Revolution lineup that would feature so prominently in the Purple Rain film, all the way up until the September, 1986 Hit n Run Parade tour after which Prince replaced every musician besides Dr. Fink on keys and further augmented his arsenal of musicians with a horn section to add jazzy arrangements + percussion virtuoso Sheila E & the Dawning of what would become known as the Lovesexy Band.....But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome The Revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-O-LsD7czo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The song at 11:38 has some sick guitar poo poo going on.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I heard on the news this morning that he didnt leave a will :doh:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

I heard on the news this morning that he didnt leave a will :doh:

my guess is he doesnt care

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

dad gay. so what posted:

my guess is he doesnt care

maybe i angle myself correctly i can get a peice of the estate

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

maybe i angle myself correctly i can get a peice of the estate

angles arent round :confused:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

dad gay. so what posted:

angles arent round :confused:

im gonna roll over you like a human zorb

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Internaut! posted:

ooooo

Perhaps the most significant time capsule of all live shows, the legendary August 3, 1983 benefit gig at First Avenue was the first time anybody on the planet would hear several soon to be career defining staples all at once.

I always wondered about the intro to Purple Rain that goes on forever. I've always assumed that there was some technical issue happening in the background, especially as you see the stagehand running around like mad. Maybe something with Prince's guitar? Never been able to find out what that was all about

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

so did Prince have AIDS or did he drug himself to death, or both?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Internaut! posted:

ooooo

Includes the world debut of: I Would Die 4 U, Computer Blue, Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy, Baby I'm A Star, & Electric Intercourse. You can tell that several of these tunes are still just works in progress which makes this reveal at the creative process all the more unique & special as a glimpse into The Revolution creating magic, before our very eyes & ears.

Also of significance, this show marked the introduction of Wendy Melvoin, replacing Dez Dickerson on guitar, cementing The Revolution lineup that would feature so prominently in the Purple Rain film, all the way up until the September, 1986 Hit n Run Parade tour after which Prince replaced every musician besides Dr. Fink on keys and further augmented his arsenal of musicians with a horn section to add jazzy arrangements + percussion virtuoso Sheila E & the Dawning of what would become known as the Lovesexy Band.....But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome The Revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-O-LsD7czo

Thank U

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
its fascinating to keep finding rare Prince gems on youtube for a few days before they get taken down

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm gonna miss all his hits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTZGhklTzY

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

You'll always be able to find those.

The real meat is closer to the bone and a little harder to get to. His hits are perfectly fine, many of them great, but a lot of the bootleg, live, aftershow and outtake material is just face meltingly good. The spontaneous, jamming, late night unannounced club, and experimental Prince was really where the magic showed up. Dude's got jams for days, in all sorts of styles, and effortlessly switches gears in a heartbeat.

I think that was always my favorite thing about him. He could play punk, funk, rock, pop, soul, gospel, straight R&B...I liked all those styles of music. Sure, he didn't always nail it but when he did, no one was better across such a wide range of genres. Maybe Zappa, but he clowned around too much.

Gonna miss this man. My favorite musician of all time.

When I was coming of age in the early 80's, he showed me that you could be an an individual, brave, daring, androgynous, meek yet strong, dress weird, be shy but brave and really just be yourself. Uptown, baby. That's where I wanted to be. He lent me a voice, if only by proxy, and really never stopped with it. Dude lived the life and lived for the music.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I forget who posted this but I'm posting it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-LWJAaXRE

that quality

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His James Brown moves are locked tight.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the next celebrity to die, so this haggard human being will stop clogging my youtube recommendeds.

You died, you're a celebrity now, good luck collecting those royalties loll

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How the gently caress are you even getting Prince in your youtube recommendations when I've actually been watching Prince videos and getting nothing?

Sucks for you I guess, and sucks for your lack of taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think you should first stop ever going to youtube recommends, then maybe it wouldn't contribute to being a homophobic dumbass.

• Locked thread