Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You cannot overstate what a brilliant and influential musician Prince was. If you didn't like him, fine. If you say he sucked you're stupid and wrong.

Retail Slave posted:

Will the symbol that he changed his name to for attention appear on his gravestone?

I'm sorry if you think that was the reason. It was a brilliant move to get out of a bad contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dave_Indeed posted:

Yeah I know he can play mediocre, mid level difficulty guitar leads without loving up but in the 90's literally every man in the world learned how to do that at some point.

:rolleyes:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Clamps McGraw posted:

Eh I mean you can, most of his stuff was really just sort of bland and forgettably OK? I don't think he sucked but more of a sort of 5 to 6 out of 10 most of the time

Give me a break man he's had 5 #1 hits and 40 top-100 songs and I think everybody in this thread can sing at least one Prince song off the top of their head but sure man, totally forgettable.

Edgy take, but ultimately 100% false.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Prince was an all-state point guard in high school, he could legit ball.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Simstim posted:

don't think many people know just how much of an amazing guitar player he was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Michael Jackson may have been the kind of pop but he didn't play an instrument (at least on his records).

Prince played 27.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wizzle-Wazzle posted:

is the Fresh Prince still OK?

He died around the time Six Degrees of Separation came out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that this epic Superbowl halftime show happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I never understood why prince got so much attention, he was never very good

he had like one good song

fish on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

jfc some people are way too emotionally invested in lovely pop musicians

Thanks for the contribution, Shitlord.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i have no idea how people are getting this upset over loving prince of all ppl. bowie didnt even draw this reaction

Probably because Prince was better than Bowie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Decebal posted:

You showed your hand too early with this one, bud

I mean, lol if you're honest

I am being quite honest. Perhaps you haven't really thought about it, you may be less aghast.

#1 Hits

Prince: 5
Bowie: 2

Top 100 hits

Prince: 40
Bowie: 20 or 22 depending on what I'm seeing

Instruments played

Prince: 27
Bowie: 13

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists:

Prince: #27
Bowie: #39

When Purple Rain came out everybody claimed that either Prince or Michael Jackson was the biggest star in the world, something nobody ever said about Bowie.

Eric Clapton was once asked how it feels to be the best guitar player that ever lived: "I don't know ask Prince"

The artist David Bowie is most often compared to is most likely Alice Cooper. The artist Prince is most often compared to is Mozart.

Bowie was very influential, but then again so was Prince, albeit in a different way. It was rather unfortunate fashion that everyone in the early 80s was wearing, but then again so was Stardust. If I were to compare them like artists I'd say Bowie was most like Andy Warhol. Technicality wasn't as important as the scene he created around him. But if I was to compare Prince to an artist, I'd say he's more like Frank Gehry, technically proficient as he is influential, just with less scene.

So why do people put Bowie ahead of Prince? In my opinion it's relatability. It certainly isn't song structure, accomplishments or technical prowess.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The Artist Formerly Known As Alive

Excellent joke, can't believe nobody thought of it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All metrics boil down to opinion. "I think Prince is better" is not really a quantifiable argument so I use the only means we have.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I read you, Bowie is more relatable than... those people, you know who I mean. Dogwhistle heard, loud and clear

For this forum, I'd say absolutely Bowie is more relatable to the navel-gazing white autists that make up the majority of goons.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

kiimo are you going to cry yourself to sleep tonight? Because it seems like you might, mate

The last word on my glistening lips, salty with tears, will be "good night, sweet Prince".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyway didn't mean to start a whole debate, work is just slow.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm open to counter-arguments. The only thing I take exception to is someone acting like there's no argument to be made in Prince's defense over David Bowie, an artist I've always liked but never had any songs that I'd call masterpieces.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

It's 1984, and I'm four going on five. My sister won tickets on the radio to go see the premiere of Purple Rain, and we went to the radio station to pick them up. We actually were invited into the DJ booth and chatted with the DJs for a bit about Prince. It was really loving cool.

Also, even though I was young, I could totally tell that the 1 on the 1999 album cover was a veiny dick.

Well, that's my Prince anecdote. Thanks for reading!

I hope you got to see the movie, and by the movie I mean Apollonia's boobs at 4.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And don't get me wrong, Big Ideas are a valuable thing, many times valued over proficiency. David Gilmour was a fantastic legendary guitarist and okay songwriter but Roger Waters wrote better songs. He was a Big Idea guy.

It's close with Bowie. Prince just constantly surprised and he's been underestimated based on other things. But that musicianship constantly creeps up, like on a stage of Hall of Fame musicians that take a step back and say whoa Prince is shredding, give him room.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This just in, David Byrne is dead :rip:

He's been wasting away for years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whorelord posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

I didn't make that up or anything it's being said a lot right now, just so you don't think I'm the only one.

it's a stretch I know

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whorelord posted:

The musician Prince was most compared to was Michael Jackson. David Bowie is David Bowie.

Can we call Michael a musician?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blue Train posted:

some extremely retarded crackers itt

I miss :redhammer: week.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Irradiation posted:

Actually it's complete garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kacx36UNYr4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ButtHate posted:

He was also a homosexual pedophile

What do you have against homosexuality, ButtHate?

...oh

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The song at 11:38 has some sick guitar poo poo going on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His James Brown moves are locked tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think you should first stop ever going to youtube recommends, then maybe it wouldn't contribute to being a homophobic dumbass.

• Locked thread