Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is a thread for your favorite strategies/exploits/combos in games that allow you to brutally shatter the balance of the game over your knee and set the pieces on fire. Preferably without abusing glitches (there's https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493510 for that). Things like creative sequence-breaks are encouraged.

One of my personal favorites is from The World Ends With You, which is still one of my favorite games. The main character gets invincibility frames while dashing, which is super useful for avoiding a lot of attacks in general, but there are a few pins you can get that basically turn your dash into a charging attack that smashes enemies out of the way and deals damage. With the right setup, it's entirely possible to make your character effectively charging nonstop into enemies, making you almost impossible to damage except in the tiny downtime between charges and constantly dealing solid damage. It's not even close to the most powerful setup in TWEWY (one of the many reasons I love the game), but for safety while still killing pretty fast it's one of my favorite ways to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
My favourite game breaking was smashing poo poo up in GoldenEye on the N64.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Always Morrowind alchemy. Okay, here's how it works: Morrowind has an alchemy skill that lets you combine ingredients to make potions. Many of these are as you'd expect, to restore health, stamina, etc., but some can boost a state. Intelligence influences your alchemy success rate as well as the strength of made potions. There is a vendor in Sadrith Mora's Imperial shrine that sells ingredients which, when mixed, provide a Fortify Intelligence effect. The procedure is simple; buy these ingredients, make potions. Even at game start with no alchemy skill you should succeed at a couple of them. Buy the ingredients again, take your existing potions, make the next batch of the same. You should succeed at more of them, and make stronger ones. Repeat and soon you'll be making them with 100% success rate.

Normally your stats and skills cap at 100. But Morrowind doesn't have any hard caps on those. And these buffs stack. Within a few minutes of doing this, you'll be able to make potions that fortify your intelligence by 24,956,361 for 108,781,372 seconds, i.e. functionally longer than you could ever play. Then you can go gather up other ingredients and make other potions to suit your tastes, such as a Feather potion that would let you carry every single object in the game without slowing down, or a Fortify Luck that makes it impossible to fail at anything, ever, or a Strength potion so powerful that when you hit something the game crashes.

Morrowind is a good game.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Always Morrowind alchemy...
Morrowind is a good game.

My favorite was breaking the speed stat since you would move so fast when you hit any direction the game would try to load every single area at once and hard crash.

Someone can probably explain these in more detail but final fantasy tactics had a ton of these. While the game gave you a ton of easy things to abuse, like picking orlandu, some mechanic abuse let you completely break the game.

The strongest was the blade grasp passive ability. Basically it was supposed to give you bonus chance to avoid a melee ability based on your brave stat. Problem was it was glitched so it let you Dodge anything from swords to bullets to magic with the same % chance. To add to it, you could permanently raise your brave stat by spamming certain abilities, ultimately letting you have 97% Dodge chance vs. Every ability in the game.

There were a ton of these, the crux of a lot of single character runs (I.e. beating the game with only the main character) involve spamming a speed up ability to get 5-6 turns before any enemy can move.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

EvilGenius posted:

My favourite game breaking was smashing poo poo up in GoldenEye on the N64.

On the first mission if you go trip the alarm and then run back to the lab area you can get in one of the labs and "block" the door. They are glass doors that you can shoot out the glass and then the soldiers just pile up at the door trying to get in. I spent hours sitting there killing wave after wave as they piled up. The longest I went was just shy of 3000 kills.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
rikku's weapon customization ability in ffx. once she's in your party you can add abilities to weapons as long as they have blank slots.

every character has an ultimate weapon that requires two items to unlock their abilities, one of them allowing the character and their associated summon to break damage limit ( deal more than 9999 damage per attack).

lulu is the resident black mage and her weapon requires you to walk around the thunder plains and dodge lightning 200 times straight, no screw ups and no breaks in between.

gently caress that. make a doll with magic booster so every attack is double the damage with double the cost, and then add one mp cost so every spell only needs 1 mp to cast (or 2 mp with magic booster). now she can cast ultima and deal 9999 damage for 2 mp and with her doublecast ability she can do that twice per turn. and then if another character following her turn has copycat as an ability you can cast ultima 3 times for 2 turns for only 6 mp.

ffx was pretty cool. hate the outfits, though.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

You basically can't die in Super Mario RPG if you're wearing the Lazy Shell. Peach's revival spell, if timed correctly, heals to full HP iirc. Put the Lazy Shell on Peach and you have an invincible healtank.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
It may or may not be broken poo poo, since it doesn't involve an actual glitch, but there's a spell in Dark Souls 1 that makes you basically invincible for 15 seconds, and that has 4 casts. As a pyromancer in Havel's armor, you can basically kill any boss standing stock still.

I was and am terrible at DS, beat it this way, and hate myself for it.

Toadstrieb has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Apr 22, 2016

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
This used to be a thing but it was patched out so it isn't as effective.

In Skyrim you have Enchanting which lets you put special stats on weapons and armor. You do this by taking an item to an Enchanting Table and with a soul gem, enchant it.

To level up enchanting, you just enchant things. Pretty simple.

In many dungeons, there are Enchanting Tables lying around. Tons of enemies have charged soul gems on them and you could find a bunch on there. The trick here is that no matter what you enchant, your enchanting experience goes up at the same rate. So you could enchant a Deadric sword with a grand soul gem or an iron dagger with a petty soul gem and get the same XP gain. So you would just go to a dungeon, kill everything, and then enchant every piece of gear the enemies have on them. You could hit 100 enchanting super early in the game.

Another one I like is the Uber Fayt setup for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

TTEOT has an item creation system that lets you manufacture items using money. You can also refine existing items to gain better stats. Finally there is a synthesis system that lets you attach the properties of an item to a weapon. (For example +100 attack to a sword)

There is this trinket called the Boots of Prowess that when equipped, increases your attack and defense by 10%. By using refinement, you can boost that to +30% attack and defense. Weapons can have a max of 8 properties, and there is a weapon for Fayt (main protagonist) called the Veinslay that can be made through item creation which boasts very good base stats and has 8 open slots. If you synthesize 8 fully refined Boots of Prowess onto it, your attack and defense increase by 240%.

Having this plus another fully refined Boots of Prowess equipped will increase Fayt's defense soo much that nothing in the game will damage him on Easy or Normal, and on Hard it trivializes everything.

Hence the Uber Fayt name.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

My favorite thing ever was playing Morrowind back in the day on some old PoS Dell I had as a kid. I remember using a console command to fortify Acrobatics to something absolutely stupid like 100000000000000000000. The very second I jumped the game didn't crash but my computer just reset itself like I had hit the button. I can still remember laughing my rear end off even back then at that.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Harvest Moon 64 was such a rushed game that it would sometimes just lock up for no reason. It also had a few very simple tricks that would allow you to get married very fast. In the game there are several prospective love interests, each one having their own likes, dislikes, and routines. For the most part you could usually find them in their respective areas, do one or two things nice and gain a little bit of favour each day and over the course of several months in game, make them fall in love with you. The one character, Karen, had a little trick you could exploit and get her to love you within the first night of the game. All you need to know about her is that 1) she hangs out at the bar every night, and 2) she loves dogs. Once night comes, pick up your dog, bring him to the bar and just keep talking to her. Time didn't pass when you were inside, so you didn't have to rush. Eventually if you were patient enough (or had an autofire controller), her little heart gauge would be maxed out. From there on out, you only needed to save up enough money and lumber to build the kitchen, and you would be able to propose.

Another one from the game is the Horse and Dog racing events where you can break the gambling game: Every event consists of 3 races. You can buy medals to bet on whichever horse/dog you choose. You can also bet on every single one. Each betting medal costs around 100g each, so buying medals for everything to guarantee a win is really just playing at a loss. However, when you're making your bets you can cancel, rather than confirm the bets. If you choose to cancel your money is returned but the bets are still placed. Once you have enough money you can bet the max 99 medals on every single participant, cancel out and win tons of medals with absolutely zero cost.

One more that I love from Mechassault on the original Xbox is more of a level break, than a game break. The level is called Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, and has you piloting a hijacked enemy mech into their base to intercept their radio transmissions. As the level goes you approach the base and see two of the huge heavy assault mechs guarding the entrance. The door opens, you enter the base, the door closes and there is a smaller scout just patrolling the area. Once you intercept the comms, your cover is blown by the scout, the 2 giants outside come through the door and you have to then run to the end of the stage being chased by a few smaller mechs and the 2 heavies that rain a shitstorm of weapons on you. If you run in front of the doors you came through as you're being called out though, the 2 heavies can't get through the door during the cutscene as the door is on a timer. It will just open, they will be running in place trying to get past you, and close. Locking them out and making your final run much, much easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Demon's Souls is an extremely brutal and challenging game; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQtBMKCipk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy 6 had a character named Gau who was brokeness incarnate. His gimmick was that he could replicate almost every monster in the game. He'd become out of control but gain access to their moves and even their elemental strengths/weaknesses. In many cases these were not designed around the player having access to them so he had absurd healing, near invulnerability, and so-on.

The most broken however was a plant monster named Rafflesia. Otherwise completely unexceptional Rafflesia had a Charm attack that would force one character to fight his allies unless cured. Gau copying Rafflesia has that Charm too. Except due to an oversight the charm spell works on almost every single enemy in the game including bosses and doesn't wear off. This includes the optional superbosses and the final bosses who are all reduced to helplessly smacking themselves in the face once Gau charms them. The only exception to this is enemies who get around the maximum HP barrier by technically dying and respawning in secret. Except then Gau can just charm them again.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I found a good one in Fallout 4 last night. In the city of boston proper there lay the wreckage of atomic powered cars pretty much everywhere. Also there are dozens of enemies that like to blast you from afar, usually when you are near the wrecked cars. When shot repeatedly, a car will catch fire then explode in a mushroom cloud, crippling you severely if not killing you outright. Well, the cars are unfortunately very heavy and cannot be moved by conventional means. This effectively makes the entire city a shooting gallery filled with stationary mines. Now I know you said glitches dont count, but this one is too fun to ignore.

Remember how cars cannot be moved through conventional means? Well the physics system is such that when objects other than the PC or NPCs interact with eachother, they react in unexpected ways. For instance, place a regular garbage can next to a car, then pick up another object and push it towards the trash can, and the car will slide around like butter. Now place both objects next to the car and bump something into them, the car will shoot down the road as if it were flicked by the hand of God. Now pile up random garbage and throw a grenade next to it. If done right, the car will catch fire, fly through the air down the street crushing everything in its path, then explode in a blaze of glory. It doesn't really break the game but it is fun what you can do with it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Primetime posted:

The strongest was the blade grasp passive ability. Basically it was supposed to give you bonus chance to avoid a melee ability based on your brave stat. Problem was it was glitched so it let you Dodge anything from swords to bullets to magic with the same % chance. To add to it, you could permanently raise your brave stat by spamming certain abilities, ultimately letting you have 97% Dodge chance vs. Every ability in the game.

It doesn't work on magic, but you can reduce the character's faith to decrease the hit chance and damage of magic. r/atheism your way out of fire.

Only things that work then are attacks that don't check accuracy, and FFT only really does that for bosses, or non-faith magical attacks, which are a few monster moves (notably Choco Meteor) and Draw Out which the enemy rarely uses. And a few Lucavi attacks IIRC.

Basically, Blade Grasp and low faith render the character immune to almost everything that comes your way, and everything humans who aren't bosses use.

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy 6 had a character named Gau who was brokeness incarnate. His gimmick was that he could replicate almost every monster in the game. He'd become out of control but gain access to their moves and even their elemental strengths/weaknesses. In many cases these were not designed around the player having access to them so he had absurd healing, near invulnerability, and so-on.

Gau copies the resistances of whatever monster he rages as. Well, "copies" isn't the right word, as it factors in equipment and goes for the highest level, such as a Flame Shield still absorbing fire damage even as a fire-weak enemy. A lot of end-game monsters have robust resistances. The Evil Oscar (SNES)/Great Malboro(GBA and on) absorbs all elements but fire, so Gau with a flame shield in that rage absorbs all elemental damage, including water, which the flame shield is weak to.

Gau's weakness is that he's unreliable. Every Rage can use one of two actions, but every one is either the regular attack command or the special move, like the Evil Oscar's Bio. Still, he doesn't consume MP and is tough as hell (besides resistances he can reach 255 defense and take 1 damage from physical attacks) and can use moves the party doesn't get like said Charm.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
what's cool with gau's ability is that there are seven dragons in the second half of the game that are pretty tough bosses, but since they're beasts they'll show up on the veldt when you beat them. i found the white dragon there and just let gau jump and waited to see if he'd learn something. sure enough, he was casting pearl (holy) without ever needing the stats for it.

the weird thing about his gimmick is that when you set him loose to learn some abilities, when he appears at the end of a following fight, he can act like he first met you and be hostile unless you have some raw meat from the nearby town.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Skate 2 throw your board, TK pull it back, jump and try to grab it, hit the ground, and go flying. It broke hall of meat and made some late game locked areas accessible if you could get your guy to land in there

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In Black and White 2, the game understood that poo poo on fire can cause things nearby to be set on fire. Really cool, except that it calculates this even if the thing on fire is in your God Hand.

So when an enemy catapult stumbles along, just set a random tree on fire, pick up the burning tree, and hold it over the offending catapult. Game says to itself "Well poo poo, there's a burning tree five feet over this wooden catapult, better set it on fire!" This worked, if memory serves, on enemy buildings, as well as working outside your influence, to boot.

The only thing it didn't prevent was scripted stuff (No! You are not allowed to use that Volcano Wonder! Your Volcano Wonder Building is burned to the ground! gently caress you, enemy God!), but still.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Apr 23, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Speaking of Morrowind, there was a way you could create an enchanted staff that would accidentally control a person or a creature forever upon being struck. I forget the specifics but I took the god Vivec and placed him in my stolen mansion guarded by some werewolves that I also kidnapped. That's still the best game that ever happened. Morrowind is awesome if you want to do crazy poo poo.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Ff6 also had something like... Trying to remember...
Your magic evasion stat could be easily maxed and it also counted as physical evasion so you'd be all but invulnerable.
Used it to beat post apocalypse world with just three characters.
Hopefully another goon can remind me exactly how it worked

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
a bunch of enemies and bosses could be easily dispatched in ff6 if you vanish them and use death.

it was enough where an faq had stats for bosses on whether they were vanish+deathable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Action Tortoise posted:

what's cool with gau's ability is that there are seven dragons in the second half of the game that are pretty tough bosses, but since they're beasts they'll show up on the veldt when you beat them. i found the white dragon there and just let gau jump and waited to see if he'd learn something. sure enough, he was casting pearl (holy) without ever needing the stats for it.

the weird thing about his gimmick is that when you set him loose to learn some abilities, when he appears at the end of a following fight, he can act like he first met you and be hostile unless you have some raw meat from the nearby town.

The white dragon would appear on the veldt, but none of the others would. Other random bosses could appear as well. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to it. And he wouldn't ever become hostile again, even if you hit him. He'd just run away in that case, and forget about it next time he showed up.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Ff6 also had something like... Trying to remember...
Your magic evasion stat could be easily maxed and it also counted as physical evasion so you'd be all but invulnerable.
Used it to beat post apocalypse world with just three characters.
Hopefully another goon can remind me exactly how it worked

They basically use the magic evasion check for both magic attacks and physical attacks. Just a programming error.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Persona Q has a big one that takes quite the setup, but it's worth it.

But first, some background. Each character has their Persona. Each persona has 8 skill slots: 3 for the skills they learn by leveling up, 1 for the skill they get if you evolve their persona to a stronger form, and 4 that remain open. Hold that thought. Each character can also equip a second persona. That persona has six skill slots and learns skills by leveling up. Personas can also be fused to create new ones. New Personas made in this fashion can be given skills from the old ones. Each of those equippable personas has a skill that, with it in the persona's repertoire, allows that persona to be turned into a card with that skill on it. That card can teach that skill to any characters' persona and permanently add it to their own skillset.

For breaking the game, there are two standout personas: Mahakala and Yoshitsune. Mahakala learns a skill called Danse Macabre, and Yoshitsune learns Hassou Tobi. Danse Macabre does 5-7 cut-type attacks against random targets, Hassou Tobi does the same, but hits 8 times. So the trick is to buff the sweet holy gently caress outta them. In your team of five, have a guy with Mahakala and a guy with Yoshitsune. The other three characters are buffers/healers/defenders. The best for this are the protagonists from P3 and P4 (unofficially named Minato and Yu respectively), because Minato's evolved persona learns Debilitate, which lowers all combat parameters (attack, defense, accuracy/evasion) on a target, while Yu's learns Heat Riser, which raises all combat parameters on a target. Your guys with Mahakala and Yoshitsune should have Power Charge (next Phys attack does 2.5x damage) and Shura Tensei (MASSIVE boost to Attack power, but you lose 50% your max HP each turn. Lasts 'til the end of battle, and is technically not a buff? I'm not sure), either from skill cards or inheritance.

So, now you're in battle against a super powerful boss, time to set up your attack:
  • First turn, Yu casts heat riser on one guy, Minato casts debilitate against your opponent, each attacker casts power charge.
  • Second turn, Yu casts heat riser on your other attacker, both attackers cast shura tensei. You may wanna heal to make sure everyone is at 100%, as Physical skills cost HP and Shura Tensei will kill you if you're not careful.
  • With everyone properly buffed, you cast hassou tobi and danse macabre. Between the all your buffs, each strike of each attack (13-15 total) will hit a target for ~1500 damage, whereas these attacks might hit for a tenth that normally. Only the strongest of bosses won't be one-shotted by that.
Bonus points for all the passive skills Yoshitsune and Mahakala can learn to make them even better. Both can learn God's Cut (increase cut-type damage) and Heroic Gemini (low chance of attacks executing twice). Yoshitsune can learn First Star (bonus damage if you attack before the enemy), Bloody Vanguard (attacking makes all allies do more damage), and Warrior Title (raises critical hit rate. Note that each strike has a chance to be a critical hit). Mahakala naturally starts with Power Charge and also learns Raging Fists (increased critical hit damage).

FURTHER Bonus Points if one of your party members is Chie, as she can learn the skill Mind's Eye, which increases the party's critical hit rate. Also makes a good attacker as her evolved persona has the innate skill Furious Fists, which greatly increases critical hit damage. Akihiko's evolved persona has Conqueror Title, which greatly increases critical hit rate. Junpei's evolved Persona has Golden Gemini, which has a medium chance of repeating an attack. And then there's Kanji, whose evolved Persona gets Uprising, which greatly increases damage against enemies with higher HP than him. Unfortunately, the wiki says that Furious Fists and Conqueror Title will be overridden by Raging Fists and Warrior Title respectively, even though they're worse. But Golden Gemini stacks with Heroic Gemini, and Uprising stacks with Rebel Spirit (also increases damage to enemies with higher HP), apparently? :confused: They also all have stat growths skewed towards physical attacks. If someone has the persona Lucifer, he also learns mind's eye and he can be turned into a card with that skill.

I used this to beat the super boss The Reaper three times so I could get the materials to make heavy equipment: each piece halves stats but doubles exp. With all three pieces, you're stats are poo poo, but you get 8x exp. So I got everyone to level 99.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona Q has a much easier break:

the Panic status is effectively confusion + it prevents the enemy from dodging which makes multi-hit attacks absurdly powerful. It also is basically resisted by nothing including the game's final boss and optional superboss and its success rate is amplified by various skills to be extremely high. So once you get a good Panic setup going you effectively nullify every single foe in the game regardless. It's particularly funny with the superboss who is scripted to do something and can't do it as long as he's panicked meaning he's undefeatable until you let it wear off.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
In Oblivion you can become permanently invisible with a decent Illusion skill. Invisibility normally breaks whenever you interact with anything (attack, open a door, pick up an item etc), but the effect only breaks when the casting animation finishes. Start it, quickly do whatever it is you wanted to do right before it finishes and immediately become undetectable again. Once your Illusion skill is good enough you'll regenerate more magicka in the time the effect takes to wear off than you use in the casting, and there's always potions. It's not the dumbest thing you can do in the game, but it's probably one of the easier ones to set up.

You can't do it that easily in combat until you get access to spell crafting. Once you can spell craft you can put a damage effect and a short invisibility effect on self on the same spell, then spend every fight instantly re-becoming invisible as you burn/freeze/electrocute everything in your path.

Conversations also pause game time, meaning timed effects don't count down, hostile NPCs stop chasing you and so on. You can cast spells on people to make them like you more, and spells on yourself to make you more likeable. Casting costs are tied to both the magnitude and duration of the effect. Craft a spell that'll make anyone adore you for just a couple of seconds and it won't even cost that much, even at max effect. Make anyone love you for as long as you keep talking or, more importantly, shopping. Never play that stupid minigame again.

You can do all that in Morrowind too, but it's a lot easier to get a 100% chameleon outfit if that's your style (you have to wait for the second highest tier of sigil stones in Oblivion, I think), you'll have to put up with spell failure chance and it doesn't do much that a couple cheap bribes don't, anyway. Also in Morrowind: just one point of the Slowfall enchantment negates all falling damage. Use it as a spell, stick it on your pauldron, :smaug: at that dumbass with the scrolls and jump your way to solstheim.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4udfU6sCqFI

BF1942 Superman Glitch.

Jump over a body of water, look up at 45 degree angle, spam jump.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In deus ex, grenade jumping doesn't involve using a grenade explosion to launch yourself, but rather jumping on top of the grenade itself and using it as a platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6I0IHYiWYo

You can see it done at 36:25, as well as many other places. There's a double grenade jump in here somewhere and it's amazing but I can't find it right now.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Half the end-game Path of Exile builds break the game. Here's some gimmick builds though.
These videos will have either really low sound or no sound because a lot of people play the game that way and for some ungodly reason they don't turn it back on when recording.

This first build is actually incredibly bad, but looks ridiculous because it causes bones to constantly spew out of the player character like you're running a mass grave over with a lawnmower, and as soon as it touches enemies and starts dragging them along, large amounts of gore are added to the bone juice. How it works is that he has a ring on that makes him take damage when one of his minions dies, and then he has it set up to cast summon skeletons whenever he takes damage, and if he summons skeletons when he's at his limit of skeletons summoned at once the oldest ones immediately die. He also casts a couple other spells whenever he takes damage, which is how he drags mooks along with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvDyNNCK2Ok

This one, the dude summons an army of bow-wielding clones. Normally you can only have two at once since you can only cast the ability once ever 5 seconds or whatever, but he made them in to traps, which lets him place multiple clones at one time and also overrides the cooldown the ability normally has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_X8LfvD3E

An actual end-game build, unlike the other two. Dude explodes every time he uses a movement skill, instantly killing pretty much anything around him at the time. Similar to the first build, but he uses a very expensive helmet that makes him take damage every time he uses an ability, along with an ability that causes an explosion every time he takes damage. He does need to charge latter ability between uses, by getting a few dozen kills, but that's pretty easily sustainable when he instantly kills things while moving around a bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXnnJPFpRmw&t=42s

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Scathach posted:

Speaking of Morrowind, there was a way you could create an enchanted staff that would accidentally control a person or a creature forever upon being struck. I forget the specifics but I took the god Vivec and placed him in my stolen mansion guarded by some werewolves that I also kidnapped. That's still the best game that ever happened. Morrowind is awesome if you want to do crazy poo poo.

I think if you pair a timed spell effect with a 1 second Soul Trap effect, the timed effect never counts down. That may have been patched out at some point.

I've spent more time thinking about Two Worlds as of late than anyone should, it's well-known how buggy that game is but there's a couple mechanics worth highlighting here-

--If you find two weapons with the same name and model, you can drag & drop them together in your inventory to get a stronger version of that weapon. That means if you track down a few dozen of the same weapon, you can make a version that will one-shot everything in the game. And there's no cost to combine them either! I think some slotted upgrades will also stack after combining.

--When you die in this game, you are respawned at one of many revival shrines sprinkled throughout the game, closest to where you fell, and healed to full health. For whatever reason, rather than spawn you at full health you are brought back at low health and the shrine continuously casts healing magic on you until you're topped off. This "design" means that anytime you walk by such a shrine while alive, it also heals you. This means that any tricky encounter can be made much easier by kiting the enemy over to a shrine and fighting there, while having half your health restored every five seconds. This may be working as designed (there are shrines that refill MP in a similar manner), but how many people looked at this and said "yep, this is a fair gameplay mechanic"?

--The main villain shows up in the first town to start your quest. In an early version of the game, this instance of the NPC still had the "play end cutscene upon death" trigger that he does when you fight him at the end of the game, which meant that if you can kill him in this first area you can beat the game. At this point in the game he's strong enough to one-shots you with every attack, but he's not strong enough to handle all of the villagers ganging up on him.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Apr 24, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This one is an old one. SimCity on the SNES couldn't be "won" without getting 500,000 population. Seems easy right? To the average kid it was hard and people on gamefaqs had arguments about which map was the largest size, etc. Someone figured out you could zone stack, thus making the game a walk in the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZSpxuLvUo

A simple way to get the Mario statue.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Alpha Protocol showed us why most RPGs are either fantasy or futuristic. In the present year of 2010, Agent Thorton (!!!) can become invisible by crouching down and he can shoot a man six times in the head simultaneously from the one pistol.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Apr 23, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Alpha Protocol showed us why most RPGs are either fantasy or futuristic. In the present year of 2010, Agent Thorton (!!!) can become invisible by crouching down and he can shoot a man six times in the head simultaneously from the one pistol.
Yeah, it kicks rear end. Unrealistic elements in realistic settings own.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It should be noted for the purposes of this thread that a high level in Pistols will trivialize essentially anything the game can throw at you, because your skills are so thoroughly broken in that tree.

This is a good thing and AP is a good game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AP is great because I was really looking forward to it before release then publisher/dev conflicts made me reconsider buying it. When it was released it turned out I made the right decision. Cut to like 7 years later and I finally bought it for 5$ on Steam. Worth every penny.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The MMO Rift had some crazy builds with its weird class system interactions. Your character was one of 4 basic fantasy RPG archtypes, fighter, mage, priest, rogue and then you get 3 jobs to choose and you unlock your ability trees from those. The skills usually had synergies with the other jobs.

With the rogue there was the Saboteur job that basically planted different bombs and traps and whatnot. They had an activated ability that planted a little sticky bomb on your target and built up to a maximum of 6 or so, you have a detonate button to trigger them at any time. With a different job, I want to say Assassin, you had another activated ability that caused the next attack to be a guaranteed critical hit and another passive ability (may have been active) that caused all critical hits to do something like 400% normal damage. Because of a quirk with how attacks were calculated when you trigger the full stack of 6 bombs they don't count as individual attacks but just as one. So you stack up all your bombs on a guy, hit your 100%crit chance, and 400% critdmg and then detonate your charges. It would do tens of thousands of damage at higher levels and with even okay items you could out DPS the entire rest of your team. It was insane in team PVP as you couldn't tell if a rogue was stacking charges on you until you lost 75% of your health instantly.

This was all back around 2011/12 when the game was launched and patched out after a few months, they made it only work with the first charge and the combo became worthless.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
The homing dynamite in Red Dead Redemption:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZATBDToJys

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Speaking of Elder Scrolls, in Skyrim, you can use alchemy to make fortify enchanting potions. You can use enchanting to make fortify alchemy gear. The two effects are internally coded as restoration magic, so both can be buffed by fortify restoration potions, so you can make better potions by making potions and make better equipment for making better potions and so on and so on and so on.

Without any buffs Fortify Enchanting potions don't get much past +20%. With these effects stacking on top of each other?

You can make gear that gives millions of HP (in a game where 500 is impossibly high) and millions of damage (where 200 is enough to cleave through most stuff like butter). You can also buff your other skills and become the godking of pickpocketing or lockpicking. It can easily get out of control and roll over into impossibly impotent potions that will tank your stats by similar amounts.

The Alchemy skill levels up by the money value of the potion made, and making one 48 million-gold potion will instantly max out the skill. Speech levels up by monetary values bought and sold. This potion when sold (even though vendors will never have more than a few thousand gold at best) will instantly max out the speech skill.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
In Adidas Power Soccer on the Playstation 1 if you ran horizontally from the centre and hit the Long Pass button on the 2nd grass "line" after the outside of the centre circle, the ball would always go in just under the crossbar and juuuust above the goalie. This ruined the game for my brother and I when we were having 10 minute games with 50 goals

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

theshim posted:

This is a thread for your favorite strategies/exploits/combos in games that allow you to brutally shatter the balance of the game over your knee and set the pieces on fire. Preferably without abusing glitches (there's https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493510 for that). Things like creative sequence-breaks are encouraged.

One of my personal favorites is from The World Ends With You, which is still one of my favorite games. The main character gets invincibility frames while dashing, which is super useful for avoiding a lot of attacks in general, but there are a few pins you can get that basically turn your dash into a charging attack that smashes enemies out of the way and deals damage. With the right setup, it's entirely possible to make your character effectively charging nonstop into enemies, making you almost impossible to damage except in the tiny downtime between charges and constantly dealing solid damage. It's not even close to the most powerful setup in TWEWY (one of the many reasons I love the game), but for safety while still killing pretty fast it's one of my favorite ways to play.

Similarly, in Dragon Age Inquisition, there is a Combat Roll move in one of the warrior trees. It's an evasive maneuver that basically makes you immune to injury during the animation and the cool down is very small. The original upgrade also let you use it to escape any crowd control effect or mez you'd been under, but then one of the expansions added an upgrade that made it do 250% weapon damage when you rolled into people, while keeping the cooldown of 2 seconds. Cue hitting one button that was literally three times better than making normal attacks and often much better than anything else. Just roll into a dragon's ankles in complete safety to save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Astrobastard posted:

In Adidas Power Soccer on the Playstation 1 if you ran horizontally from the centre and hit the Long Pass button on the 2nd grass "line" after the outside of the centre circle, the ball would always go in just under the crossbar and juuuust above the goalie. This ruined the game for my brother and I when we were having 10 minute games with 50 goals

NHL 07 had something like that if you took a shot at the top right corner right as you passed the blue line.

It made it really easy to get great goalies in the dynasty mode, since you could absolutely tank their stats for the season.

• Locked thread