Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Goddamn. Between having to search even for a bloody starting point, and that bullshit invisible wiring, my brain flashed up this scenario.

"There's a bear cage behind a hidden wall somewhere in this building. It will open in 15 minutes unless you solve the puzzle. Good luck."
"Wait, what puzzle? What does it even look like? Can you at least tell me what floor it's on? ...Hello?"

Does Global Crisis just give you zero clues to start with and make the entire wiretap grid perma-invisible? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

If any of y'all missed the previous 67% off sale on Steam for this game (like me), it's now 75% off until...I'm actually not sure, because that part of the store page seems to be broken. But it did still let me yoink it for less than $2. :dance:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Sid Meier was right that there was something wrong, but he was wrong about what it was. Having a game do different things is only bad if they don't fit together, or the devs spread themselves too thin and each thing becomes lovely, or something else like that. Here it all fits really well, and the minigames are all interesting (even the driving, if you like that sort of cat-and-mouse thing). The issue of forgetting things in the middle of combat would have been short-circuited completely if you just had a method to look at your clues during an infiltration. That's literally all that's missing to "fix" this. Simply having a notepad on hand or a good memory would also work, but speaking to game design you shouldn't really require that (E: maybe unless you say so up front, for the old school types).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

You got robbed twice there.

If you play as Maxine, do you get guys instead of girls for the ending screens?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question. I may have missed it, but why when breaking in do you not wear the gas mask and full kit every time? Does it slow you down each piece of kit or affect the score or what?

To get floor safes, you need to safecracking kit to open them and the camera to get the evidence from them. And you're limited to 5 items.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah. The limit to five items is what I missed. What I was asking is why not bring everything Everytime.

Figured that was probably it, but it doesn't hurt to answer both possibilities just in case. :)

Having an option to bring more gear but have it slow you down would be an interesting twist, though. Shame Covert Action will probably never get a proper remaster considering how Sid feels about it. The fact that it's even got a working version on steam is a minor miracle.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Wow, you really earned that copy of Just Cause 3. :golfclap:

Now let's hope you can still play it with 37% of your body mass replaced by lead.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Hey, as long as you're preventing criminal plots from succeeding, that's a good day in my book. :colbert:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Regional just doesn't seem fun. Beeline to the mastermind and pop back down?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Daaaaang. Goon Jr. gettin' all the ladies. :golfclap:

Though have you considered breaking into MI6 for early computer searches instead? Washington Mossad has this long snaking layout that takes you like five minutes to get through and back.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Washington MI6 doesn't have more than 1 or 2 computers, I broke into it some time ago for that purpose and discovered it was useless.

Ugh, I'd forgotten about that? KGB, maybe?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Clearly the Mafia thinks that going into hiding is for chumps. :colbert:

Also, aren't the "blank" safes just the game rolling up something you already have? You got both the Mafia Action Team and Master Plan really early, and I suspect that's why you had a bunch of empties while you were rounding up all the Mafia people.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Giving you floor plan safes again makes sense though, considering there are ways you can "forget" the layout during a case.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

40 episodes in and I'm barely halfway done capturing masterminds.

It is going to be 40 or 50 more videos if you intend to get them all. It's taking you 3 or 4 cases per mastermind.

1st case: you know nothing, so no real chance.
2nd case: you have a name, which you can search...if you're not on Regional.
3rd case: snatching up a researched mastermind on National (or Regional if you got lucky searching it random places), or getting an organization that you can then go search the name at on Regional.
4th case: snatching up a researched mastermind on Regional.

Multiply that by 12 remaining and add a couple for the current mastermind, and you're looking at 38-50 more cases. You may not break 100 updates, but you'll be close. :v:

E: you can shrink this a bit by going hard after masterminds ASAP while bumping it back down to National, but even then you're still looking at 25 minimum, and you could potentially have some issues with the cases.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 3, 2016

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah, I would actually love it if this LP took another 50 updates with videos averaging 45 minutes or more (and I'm honestly warming to Regional a bit). Covert Action is one game I just can't seem to get enough of. :)

I only mentioned it as an option because CirclMastr seemed to be bemoaning the length, and I wouldn't want him to burn himself out just for our entertainment. :shobon:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

That was a hell of a smash-and-grab op. :allears:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I think London and Tel Aviv are just always a thing no matter what because MI6 and Mossad exist, and they want the HQs to always be in the game for... representation? I dunno. Same thing for Washington DC and the CIA, except that doesn't seem so weird because it's also your starting point.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Wow. When you said it'd be bad, I didn't think TheLastRoboKy would be responsible for the first jail break where they actually got away instead of just getting arrested twice. :aaa:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Man, I loving lost it at "Agents of S.A.C.K." :roflolmao:

Also, considering how often you find guys staring at empty wall safes recently, I wonder if there was a plan originally for the guards to be shuffling clues around the level. Like maybe that's what the empty bits were for, to house clues that were taken from elsewhere in the level by guards, but then they couldn't get the guards to drop the clues if they were carrying them and just sort of wrote it off with some containers staying empty.

Or maybe the guards are just dumb.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Do you think Mossad's Washington office thinks that break-ins are just part of their rent? Happening at the start of every month like they do...

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Those don't reliably appear every case. I seem to always have MI6 and Mossad in Washington, and then two other organizations that vary between cases.

And then you'd have to remember a list of which ones have good layouts, and which ones suck. As opposed to simply going "Rent time, Mossad!" every month.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Willing to bet when you get the last mastermind

No, that's just when you discover the 27th mastermind is the chief himself. :tinfoil:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

The birthday party was fun, but oh my god everything from about 15:30 on. Magical. :allears:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

:toot: You did it! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

And thus ends the saga of the man who had to take pictures of grenades before he could pick them up. :golfclap:

• Locked thread