Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Holy poo poo. The only thread on his death is in GBS? Not reading that poo poo because GBS sucks hard.

Let's talk about this guy.

I LOVE Prince. I think he's the single greatest musician of my generation. I am admittedly old by SA standards. I'm 49 and a very large part of me died today. I first got turned on to his sound when MTV started playing Little Red Corvette and 1999. I wasn't sure at that age what "type" of music I liked but I knew enough to know I could like Led Zeppelin, James Brown, Sly Stone, Parliament, Hendrix, The Clash and Pink Floyd all at the same time. I somehow discovered a musician that could meld all of these styles and genres into an admittedly borrowed but somehow unique style.

The further I dug into his catalogue, after thoroughly absorbing 1999 over and over and over (still my all time favorite album) and exploring Controversy and Dirty MInd, for the first time in my life I felt I'd found "My Music". As years went by and I discovered bootlegs and outtakes in dark record stores, I just wanted more and more.

As years went by and he went further and further underground, changed his name and all that poo poo, I could never shake his allure and, above all, his sheer loving TALENT. Jesus Christ this guy was good. So versatile. He played by his own rules right to the end and never ever looked back. I heard him described once as "The World's Most Famous Underground Artist"and that always struck me as a really apt description of the man and his art. For all the weirdness, quirks and the often frustrating places his musical journey often took me, he remained always interesting and charismatic.

Dude lived LIFE and celebrated it every day.

I met my (soon to be ex) wife at a Prince show. We hooked up on a Prince fan website and we played "The One" at our wedding. It sounds cheesy, but we shared so much and now it's over. I used to where a symbol necklace for some time.

When news got out that he died, my phone exploded just as I was about to start my new job. All my friends associate me with him and know how much I loved his music. Eventually, I got around to crying and playing my choice jams (Calhoun Square, Come Back, What's My Name, Way Back Home, Days of WIld).

I don't think my tears are done just yet.

RIP, Prince. You were the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread