Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Hello friends! Me (Joe), and my co-commentators Katie (ginko) and Jesse are going to play The Witness all together!

What is The Witness you ask?? From wikipedia...

quote:

The Witness is a 3D puzzle video game developed and published by Thekla, Inc....Inspired by Myst, the game involves the exploration of an open world island filled with natural and man-made structures. The player progresses by solving puzzles, which are based on interactions with mazes presented on panels around the island or hidden within the environment. The player will have to determine the rules of each puzzle from visual clues and audio recordings scattered around the island.

Basically, lots of mazes made by Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid.

We'll be using Teamviewer's screen sharing/whiteboard mode to solve this game together! There'll be editing if a puzzle takes too long, and probably lots of doodling.

I've played a couple hours of this game already, so early on I'll be leaving a decent amount of the puzzle solving to my cohorts so they can learn the mechanics behind some of the trickier mazes. I'll most likely be posting 2 or so videos a week. There is a temporary plan to post every Wednesday and Saturday! We'll see how long I can keep that up.

:siren:This is not a super serious playthrough.:siren:

Here are the videos!
Full Playlist

Episode 1 (22 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 2 - It's Pretty Much Just Pacman (23 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 3 - The One That We Did (27 Puzzles Solved)
Bonus - Nothing Happened
Episode 4 - You Don't Get poo poo (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 5 - Run of the Mill (05 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 6 - The Ruin of Many a Poor Boy (14 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 7 - Their Story (11 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 8 - Tropical Humor (03 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 9 - Pointless, But Pretty (19 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 10 - Luigi Takes the Cake (04 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 11 - The Waiting Game (09 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 12 - Invert Your Thinking (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 13 - Just Solve it (06 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 14 - Who Moved My Full Bucket of Cheese? (10 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 15 - This Is Halloween (04 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 16 - Déjà vu (28 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 17 - Glass of Wine (10 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 18 - Shadow of a Doubt (14 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 19 - Hedge Funs (05 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 20 - Creeper (03 puzzles solved)
Episode 21 - Super Blow (05 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 22 - Krem Quay (15Puzzles Solved)
Episode 23 - Zazz (13 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 24 - Happybunny (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 25 - It's Some lovely World Thing (12 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 26 - A Bridge to Nowhere (16 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 27 - Wonderfur (10 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 28 - Shades of Blow (11 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 29 - Blastoise (15 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 30 - All That Heaven Allows (03 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 31 - Hoopin On Some Fools (13 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 32 - Elevation (09 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 33 - Squats (22 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 34 - Gee Willikers (21 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 35 - Sailor Scouts (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 36 - Tribal Leadership (07 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 37 - A Punch In the Gut (01 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 38 - One More (01 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 39 - Feynstein (03 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 40 - The Buck Starts Here (7 or 8 I think Puzzles Solved)
Episode 41 - Top of the World (04 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 42 - Out of Sync (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 43 - Off-kilter (07 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 44 - Martin Sheen (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 45 - Never Put It Past Blow (08 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 46 - More of a Penultimate Vibe (04ish Puzzles Solved)
Episode 47 - Roundabout (10 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 48 - A Star at Dawn (04 Puzzles Solved)
Bonus thoughts
Episode 49 - Pumpkin Hill (05 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 50 - The Intrepid (27 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 51 - Carl Sagan (14 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 52 - The Challenge (1/5) (03 Actual Puzzles Solved)
Episode 53 - The Challenge (2/5)
Episode 54 - The Challenge (3/5) (02 Actual Puzzles Solved)
Episode 55 - The Challenge (4/5)
Episode 56 - The Challenge (5/5) (12 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 57a - The Secret of Psalm 46
Episode 57b - So Anyways... (11 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 58a - A Sound Decision (03 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 58b - A Lesson in Nonduality
Episode 59 - Environmental Extravaganza (36 Puzzles Solved)
Episode 60 - An End

Other Bonus

F2OGGY

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Witness The Doodles

Episode 1
J Blo
HLEP
Howdy, I'm the Witness!
The WAHtness

Episode 2
Seadragondilehorse

Episode 3
Marg Sampson
Dude nice trapper keeper Stev

Episode 4
Out of my way old man!
Pondering
U Dont Get poo poo

Episode 5
Sluggy the Snail

Episode 6
Crab

Episode 7
Dankicorn

Episode 8
Tropical Humor
Ram It Down
Double Stache Kraken

Episode 9
Owl Neck
Dinosaur Thing, I guess
*Gasp*
#Dale

Episode 10
Edgy Pikmin
Luigi Takes A Whole Cake
Turnabout
What's Important?
A Bandit's Life, That Is

Episode 11
Hey Kids, It's Me Mickey!
H..hey..kdsss it smee mOkey
The busy world of Richard Scarry

Episode 12
Christ, Jesse

Episode 14
Pregame Doodlin
Motivational Warrior

Episode 16
Pregame Scenery
Ducky
Vlad E. Gator

Episode 17
Setup Doodles

Episode 18
Yoshi!
Skyworm Jeff

Episode 19
Pregame Portrait
Radical dude!
Talk to the Hand
Oh nooo! :swoon:

Episode 20
Stud
I'm a Cthulhu Bluhbluhblub

Episode 21
A puzzle it appears to be, solve it and Grunty you'll see
John Bagman Christmas Special

Episode 23
Hsss
Big Boy Reporter

Episode 27
Dead or Alive?
Menu Helper

Episode 28
Reaching

Episode 30
Blundertale
Obsession
You Died

Episode 31
Sweet Hoops

Episode 33
Hugh
Anime (I think)
Verily

Episode 34
#1 Sports fan

Episode 35
My Masterpiece
Symbols and poo poo, I don't know what they were drawing.

Episode 39
Nature vs Nurture
Para Medic Interlude

Episode 47
Googley Eyes

Episode 57a
Blow
Dinosaurs
The same picture of Jeff Goldblum
Punished Goldblum (w/Kaz)

Episode 58b
Nonduality Hermit

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 14, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
THAT doesn't have to be done at the very beginning of the game. Getting another chance at it is an endgame secret.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

whitehelm posted:

THAT doesn't have to be done at the very beginning of the game. Getting another chance at it is an endgame secret.

Yeah, you're right, I figured I'd post the video showing what happens there after we get one of those puzzles while we're playing.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Gettin' in on the ground floor to say I hate a great deal that surrounds the puzzles in The Witness and Blow's apparent attitude towards games, people who make games, and people who play games. But a lot of the puzzles here are fantastic.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
*Video cuts*
I loving KNEW IT

Really loving the idea of this thread, will be watching!

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 23, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 2 - It's Pretty Much Just Pacman

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This game in LP format is equal parts "How did you not figure that out yet" and "How did you get that in one try".

It doesn't seem like there's anything keeping you from just skipping all the tutorial puzzles that show you the various puzzle mechanics which is an....interesting design choice, I guess? I'm just imagining how annoyed I would be to make some progress in one part of the island and then get stymied because I ran into a mechanic I've never seen before with the tutorial puzzles that explain it somewhere completely different, and having to trudge around looking for them, and then trudging all the way back....

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

oldskool posted:

It doesn't seem like there's anything keeping you from just skipping all the tutorial puzzles that show you the various puzzle mechanics which is an....interesting design choice, I guess? I'm just imagining how annoyed I would be to make some progress in one part of the island and then get stymied because I ran into a mechanic I've never seen before with the tutorial puzzles that explain it somewhere completely different, and having to trudge around looking for them, and then trudging all the way back....

It's almost like a Metroid game but instead of weapons and tools to progress, you get knowledge. It's a cool idea on paper but sometimes it's a bit much in my opinion.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

oldskool posted:

Luckily, the island isn't extremely large, most areas that require certain knowledge are gated in some way (though most of the island is available as soon as you open the white gate), there's a variety of fast travel, and even some rather obvious hints (which doesn't stop most players from missing them) to where the mechanics are learned .

Enjoying this so far, really digging the draw overlay. I think the Metroid comparison is spot-on.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As I said in the sandcastle, this reminds me of my own experience with the game and I really dig the idea.

As for why I haven't said so until after the second update, you didn't post here! I almost missed it.

E: You should post the saved drawings in the thread.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 25, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

The Taxman posted:

Enjoying this so far, really digging the draw overlay. I think the Metroid comparison is spot-on.

Glad to hear that, it's been really fun and has helped keep Katie and Jesse stay engaged in the playthrough.

AlphaKretin posted:

As I said in the sandcastle, this reminds me of my own experience with the game and I really dig the idea.

As for why I haven't said so until after the second update, you didn't post here! I almost missed it.

E: You should post the saved drawings in the thread.

Oh drat! completely overlooked that thread, thanks for pointing that out!

And yup that was the plan! I'll get on that, been a bit more busy than I had planned.

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 25, 2016

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Definitely following this one.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

This game looks cool. I didn't bother with it myself because I figured the puzzles would get too hard. I'm really enjoying this format though! 3 heads are better than one. And the doodles are adorable :3:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 3 - The One That We Did (Puzzles Solved 27)

And to see what happens when NOTHING HAPPENS in the first episode...Nothing Happened

I've decided to start listing how many puzzles are solved in each video (or at least a rough count, not sure if the games count those little door swiping ones), this way you can see if there's not much accomplished in terms of solving puzzles.

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 27, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ahaha I love the way it has the yellow line disappear gradually as the truth of the matter slowly dawns on you. :allears:

And yes the sound effects for environmental puzzles are satisfying as gently caress.

E: Aww, what? My game crashed to desktop at the end of that fever dream and I thought it was intentional, I was waiting for it to happen to you guys and it didn't. :(

VVV Oooh yeah that makes sense.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 27, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Ahaha I love the way it has the yellow line disappear gradually as the truth of the matter slowly dawns on you. :allears:

And yes the sound effects for environmental puzzles are satisfying as gently caress.

E: Aww, what? My game crashed to desktop at the end of that fever dream and I thought it was intentional, I was waiting for it to happen to you guys and it didn't. :(

This game has a lot of really clever little things that really shows how much attention to detail they had in development.

I am playing on a PS4 so that miiiiight be why, I don't know if they can just crash your PS4 haha

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 4 - You Don't Get poo poo (8 Puzzles Solved)

Artwork
Out of my way old man!
Pondering
U Dont Get poo poo

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:stare: That was uh, certainly something. I'm not sure what that video had to do with anything, but there it was.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

oldskool posted:

:stare: That was uh, certainly something. I'm not sure what that video had to do with anything, but there it was.

I'm also following another SA Witness LP, and opinions are split as to whether the developer is making some intelligent observations with his clips and quotations, he's got his head stuck firmly up his rear end, or both.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if you later went back and noticed, but that copy of the Wario Snake serves as a duration bar while the video's playing.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm also following another SA Witness LP, and opinions are split as to whether the developer is making some intelligent observations with his clips and quotations, he's got his head stuck firmly up his rear end, or both.

I would not be surprised if it's both. I thought it was a neat little way to do credits at the least.

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know if you later went back and noticed, but that copy of the Wario Snake serves as a duration bar while the video's playing.

Oh! I did not know that, I just figured that was there to show which ones of those you've done. Neat!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

homphgomph posted:

Oh! I did not know that, I just figured that was there to show which ones of those you've done. Neat!

Both. It lets you replay the videos using the panels that fill in so you don't need to remember every time.

Please continue to make fun of old white men telling you off for not living your entire life by the scientific process, for finding valuable statements about the world in art, and even thinking that the arts and sciences are not diametrically opposed to one another such that you can completely discard the former.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

i like to imagine what that guy might say if he was witnessing you drawing all over him

come on you lot, you're not taking this seriously at all! Listen to me, I'm trying to tell you something important. Listen, art is useless, only science is important. Guys. Guys i'm trying to tell you how poo poo art is please pay attention. im not saying "weed", stop it.

im very smart bbc guy from the 70s and art is for losers. im not just bitter over the fact that i cant draw and my year 7 art teacher just wouldnt shut up about it SCREW YOU MR RICHARDS IM A SCIENTIST NOW, ON TV, WITH DEGREES!!!

Meis fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 2, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 5 - Run of the Mill (5 Puzzles Solved)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jesse might revise his statement at the end there to be unironic by the end of this temple. It massively outstays it's gimmick's welcome, I find.

From the unlit shapes on the black pillar, does the game expect you to find other routes around the windmill? :gonk:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

The temple definitely goes on a bit and definitely led to one of my least favorite parts from what I played.

I saw those shapes around the one the windmill filled and thought "aaaah crap", I'll see if they catch on to that

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Meis posted:

i like to imagine what that guy might say if he was witnessing you drawing all over him

come on you lot, you're not taking this seriously at all! Listen to me, I'm trying to tell you something important. Listen, art is useless, only science is important. Guys. Guys i'm trying to tell you how poo poo art is please pay attention. im not saying "weed", stop it.

im very smart bbc guy from the 70s and art is for losers. im not just bitter over the fact that i cant draw and my year 7 art teacher just wouldnt shut up about it SCREW YOU MR RICHARDS IM A SCIENTIST NOW, ON TV, WITH DEGREES!!!

This is not a very fair interpretation of the clip at all! Admittedly the clip is framed a bit disingenuously but that's what happens when you try to summarise things.

Here, I'll quote myself from the other thread.

Fedule posted:

I don't think Science versus Art is really the point of the Burke clip, at least, not the primary one. The point he's making is about the availability of - and ability to transfer - knowledge, and how it grants us the power to change the world. The scientists and technologists, he says, are the ones effecting change, because they're experimenting, proving, advancing what is known. This is not to say that art cannot change the world, or even that art has a lesser worth, but merely that art is primarily personal while science and technology are not only furthering direct knowledge but making it readily available and applicable.

Among other things, The Witness is a game about the most abstract form of the transference of knowledge; notice how it never explains or accounts for itself, but still you end up with a complete and concrete understanding of the various puzzle rules. Yes, this is done through experimentation of the player, but the design of the puzzles themselves is what facilitates the process, and the realization, and resulting knowledge, is wholly owned by the player - as opposed to just getting a popup early on saying "draw a line to separate black and white squares!".

The whole thing about Yesterday, Tommorrow and You was bringing about change, figuring out how it happened, and how it can keep happening. It's not a diatribe against art, it's a clarification of art's place in the world, and science's. At the most controversial, you could say it frames technology as an accomplishment versus art as an expression (literally, "tells you more about the guy who made it than about the world"). Even that is malleable; the guy who made it is a part of the world, after all, and expression can be an achievement.

JoBlow can be a bit long winded and doesn't have much sympathy for people who don't get his references but I have yet to consider him to be wrong.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

JoBlow can be a bit long winded and doesn't have much sympathy for people who don't get his references but I have yet to consider him to be wrong.

I agree to an extent about Blow, I just think a lot of the issues that I take, as well as other people, isn't that he's long winded or anything, it's more that it sometimes comes off a bit pretentious. Like the point being made in the video is a completely valid thought but you can't help but take it as a man who is talking down to you, and that's kind of where we start poking some fun at it.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 6 - The Ruin of Many a Poor Boy (14 Puzzles Solved)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

"This....is the way you're drawing it soooo" *wildly spins around the puzzle* Shift your perspective!" :lol:

I kind of liked those puzzles. I like them more than the draw-around-things puzzles, they seem a bit more clever IMO.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alright. I just started watching this LP, so now I've got two The Witness LP's to scream at. After watching the first few videos of the other one, I grabbed a copy for myself and played through it all last weekend. I've now "beaten" the game (gotten both endings) and have solved a poo poo-ton of the puzzles (496+109+3). I'll probably be more active commenting on this one, since the other one is much closer to completion. I'll do my darndest to avoid spoilering you guys, but I'm definitely available to try and prod you in the right direction.

PS I'm not ashamed to say I have been using a guide to assist with finding some of the environmental puzzles, both because some of them are hidden spectacularly well, and because I am awful at spotting the negative space puzzles.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 7 - Their Story (11 Puzzles Solved)

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. I just started watching this LP, so now I've got two The Witness LP's to scream at. After watching the first few videos of the other one, I grabbed a copy for myself and played through it all last weekend. I've now "beaten" the game (gotten both endings) and have solved a poo poo-ton of the puzzles (496+109+3). I'll probably be more active commenting on this one, since the other one is much closer to completion. I'll do my darndest to avoid spoilering you guys, but I'm definitely available to try and prod you in the right direction.

PS I'm not ashamed to say I have been using a guide to assist with finding some of the environmental puzzles, both because some of them are hidden spectacularly well, and because I am awful at spotting the negative space puzzles.

I tend to kind of take over for the environmental puzzles that I see since it's based a lot on where i'm moving. It's mostly blind but hopefully the cuts I make save you from screaming too much at us.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait, Her Story had an ending? :psyduck: I thought it just ended when the player decided they had it all figured out and quit.

As for that drawing, Mother 3 beat you to it. :colbert:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

In answer to your question as to game length, ~450 puzzles and beating the game took me about 20 hours. That being said, I'm an aspie, which gives me a natural advantage at these kinds of games, and I wasn't solving puzzles by democracy, which may or may not be an advantage.

Also, some pointers on the subject of environmental puzzles:
1) Literally anything can be an environmental puzzle. If it looks like a circle connected to a line, or what might be such if squinted at from the right angle, it's almost certainly an environmental puzzle. A pillar you will encounter later really slams this one home.
2) There is a visual cue if you're at an environmental puzzle's endpoint. You don't have to click it finished to check whether or not it's complete.
3) More stuff that I will reveal when it's relevant and you've sort of figured it out on your own.:smug:

Finally, I actually haven't yelled at the screen much at all with you guys. The main thing that gets me with the other LP is their inconsistent memories of puzzle mechanics. The rules never change dammit!:argh:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

LogicalFallacy posted:

If it looks like a circle connected to a line, or what might be such if squinted at from the right angle, it's almost certainly an environmental puzzle.

Not even "almost"; anything that looks like a circle is absolutely a perspective puzzle waiting to happen, which I kind of don't like about the game.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

As for that drawing, Mother 3 beat you to it. :colbert:

Oh Christ :gonk:

LogicalFallacy posted:

Also, some pointers on the subject of environmental puzzles:

Thanks! We're keeping an eye out for them and in this playthrough I'm noticing a lot more than I did the first time. I kinda want to see what we can find on our own before moving on to other measures to make sure we don't miss any of them since this is a partially 1/3 kinda sorta blind thing.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 8 - Tropical Humor (03 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Ram It Down
Double Stache Kraken

Sorry for the delay on this one! Had a jam packed weekend.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

It didn't even click in my mind that I could set that bridge at the end there to be completely extended until I saw the other LP do it, so I had to wait forever for it to switch sides anytime I wanted to cross.

Also spam musubi is fantastic cheap food. I estimate it costs me maybe $1 to make 2 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

It didn't even click in my mind that I could set that bridge at the end there to be completely extended until I saw the other LP do it, so I had to wait forever for it to switch sides anytime I wanted to cross.

Also spam musubi is fantastic cheap food. I estimate it costs me maybe $1 to make 2 of them.

My first playthrough I didn't even think I could do one long bridge either. It wasn't until they were messing around with it that I saw it was a possibility.

Spam musubi owns.

• Locked thread