Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Piearesquared posted:

Sounds to me like someone went ape and started killing family members.

This or a drug situation. Someone was methodical as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Man Whore posted:

The cartel thing was a joke but apparently they have been in Ohio for a while.
http://www.businessinsider.com/man-with-alleged-ties-to-the-sinaloa-cartel-arrested-in-ohio-2015-11
So mystery solved I guess.

Sinaloa Cartel is in Ohio? This I did not expect.

quote:

For those who have been following the opiate epidemic in the US, the appearance of a suspected Sinaloa Cartel affiliate in a small city in Ohio is not a surprise.

"What this bust shows is that the larger Mexican cartels, which for a long time ignored heroin as a revenue generator, have in the last few years figured out the new market that exists in the US," Sam Quinones, an investigative journalist focused on the opiate epidemic, wrote on his blog Wednesday.

Heroin use in the US has grown exponentially in recent years. According to The Washington Post, authorities estimate that there are between 435,000 and 1.5 million heroin users in the US. Between 2007 and 2013, the number of users of the drug in the US nearly doubled, according to Insight Crime.

The rise in heroin use is generally thought to be driven by the widespread prescription — and subsequent abuse — of opiate painkillers in the 1990s and early 2000s. When the prescription-painkiller crisis became apparent, the US government cracked down, leading to fewer but more expensive prescription painkillers on the street.

"The cost of prescription opioid has become so excessive that users are turning to heroin when they can't get or can't afford their drug of choice," Ted Cicero, a professor of psychiatry at Washington University in St. Louis and an opiate-use researcher, told Business Insider in a recent interview.

Real interesting article.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting. What is arkansas doing to have zero heroin deaths.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

This is a vigilante killing. The "family annihilator(s)" left only the young and innocent.

Interesting. Do Cartel executions have a history of leaving children alive?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Man Whore posted:

so not only did they bust in and shoot them, but they also beat the hell out of them first?
I am increasingly convinced cartel.

Out of one of them so far. One of the other news reports said that one of the victims was shot in bed next to her four day old baby who was spared.

Got to be more than one person since there were 4 locations where shootings took place and the locations were within a 10 minute drive.

If the bodies were discovered at around 8 am, maybe this was done early in the morning? The details are starting to scream a professional raid and ambush.

Is there a map of the four shooting locations a news site has put up?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Just occured to me. Four locations in rural ohio and no one had a dog?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Trump's gonna win Ohio over this.

Huh. Didn't think of this. But if it turns out to be Mexican cartels...you could very well be right if Trump reaches the general.

By the way thanks for the maps et al gents.

This site looks like a good source. I'm posting the whole thing because it has a loving annoying paywall.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/2016/04/23/what-we-know-pike-county-mass-shooting/83428434/

quote:

What we know: Pike County mass shooting

There are currently more questions than answers surrounding Friday's mass shooting in Pike County.

Here is what we know so far (will be updated as new information arrives):

Timeline

7:53 a.m., Friday: The Pike County Sheriff’s Office is called to 4077 Union Hill Road. The caller says there is a lot of blood and two male victims.

As deputies are responding, they are flagged down and told about two more addresses, 4199 and 3122 Union Hill Road. In all, seven victims, all adults, are found dead in the three homes.

1:36 p.m., Friday: Attorney General Mike DeWine sends out a news release stating that at least seven people were murdered in “execution-style killings.” DeWine says it is not an active-shooter situation. However, investigators are still trying to determine if the killer – or killers – is among the victims or on the loose.

Unspecified time, Friday afternoon: Officials are alerted to a fourth crime scene on Left Fork Road, where an eighth victim, a 16-year-old male, is found.

4:15 p.m., Friday: DeWine and Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader host a press conference. They confirm seven adults and a 16-year-old boy are dead. All were shot in the head. Many were in bed at the time.

Only three children survived – a now 5-day-old, a 6-month-old and a 3-year-old.

11:30 a.m., Saturday: The Attorney General, via press release, said the shootings are still under investigation and no arrests had been made.

DeWine said he spoke with Ohio Gov. John Kasich Saturday morning to update him on the investigation.

12 p.m., Saturday: The AG's office said the Hamilton County Coroner's Office will be performing autopsies on the eight victims Saturday.

A call placed to Hamilton County Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco was not immediately returned.

12:50 p.m. Saturday: Kimberly Newman, a member of the Ohio Crisis Response Team, read a short statement on behalf of the Rhoden family.

"The Rhoden family would like to thank everyone for all the outpouring for prayers and support for their family," she read. "They ask that you continue to keep them in your prayers. They'd like to thank all law enforcement from Pike County and all surrounding counties for their immediate response, especially to Sheriff Charlie Reader for all his hard work."

Newman also thanked Ohio Attorney General's Office and the Bureau of Criminal Investigations, as well as the first responders and victim advocates. She encouraged anyone with information about the shootings to contact law enforcement at 855-BCI-OHIO.

2 p.m. Saturday: Cincinnati-area restaurateur Jeff Ruby offered a $25,000 reward for any information about the Pike County shootings that would lead to an arrest and conviction. Ruby announced his reward on Twitter and a release quickly followed from the Attorney General's Office.

3 p.m. Saturday: The Attorney General's Office released audio from two 911 calls that came to dispatchers after the discovery of the mass shooting scene in Pike County Friday morning.

A partial transcription of the initial call -

“I think my brother-in-law is dead,” said a distraught caller speaking with a female 911 operator while gasping for breath. She said two men, Chris Rhoden and Gary Rhoden, at 4077 Union Hill Road appear to be dead.

“There’s blood all over the house. My brother-in-law is in the bedroom and it looks like someone has beat the hell out of him,” she said.

The call was placed at 7:49 a.m. Friday morning. The woman had driven to the house and discovered the horrifying scene.

“I think they are both dead,” she said.

A partial transcription of another 911 call -

“I need a deputy to come out to close to 799 Left Fork. It’s all that stuff that’s on the news. I just found my cousin with a gunshot wound,” a male caller said. He identified the man with a gunshot wound as Kenneth Rhoden.

When asked if Kenneth Rhoden was alive, the male caller just said, “No. no.” The call came in at 1:26 p.m. Friday.

“I just went in hollering at him, and checked if he was alright, and I looked up at him and he had a gunshot wound,” the man said.

5:35 p.m. Saturday: The Attorney General's Office Saturday evening released the names of the victims of Friday morning's mass shooting in Pike County.

The deceased are: Hannah Gilley, Christopher, Rhoden, Sr., Christopher Rhoden, Jr., Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, Dana Rhoden, Gary Rhoden, Hanna Rhoden and Kenneth Rhoden.

The Attorney General's Office announced that work at each of the four crime scenes has been completed.

11:55 a.m. Sunday: Gov. John Kasich Sunday morning called the slaying of eight family members in Pike County "a horrible set of murders."

Kasich says he's been getting updates on the case as he is campaigning out of state for the Republican presidential nomination.

The governor told CBS in an interview Saturday that he is confident the perpetrators would be found and "justice will be delivered to them."

Attorney General Mike DeWine's office said Saturday that work at each of the crime scenes has been completed, and investigators are pursuing leads and processing evidence.

3 p.m. Sunday: The Ohio Attorney General and Pike County Sheriff announced Sunday afternoon that a 4:30 p.m. press conference will be held updating the ongoing investigation into the Pike County mass shooting that occurred Friday.

4:08 p.m.: The press conference scheduled for 4:30 p.m. has been pushed back to 4:45 p.m.

5:30 p.m.: Attorney General Mike DeWine and Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader had very little to reveal about the investigation into the Pike County mass killings during a Sunday evening press conference, but did say authorities found three marijuana grow operations at the scenes of the crime.

Reader indicated teams of law enforcement were in the woods near the crime scenes looking for evidence. Reader and DeWine would not comment on if the crimes were drug-related, but reiterated the shootings were planned and specifically targeted the Rhoden family.

Evidence found during searches around the Rhoden residences would be sent to the state crime lab, where 18 other pieces of evidence from the scenes are being analyzed, DeWine said.

Authorities have conducted 50 to 60 interviews and executed five search warrants since the scene was discovered Friday morning, DeWine said.

Reader and DeWine refused to release many more details to the public in an attempt to keep the "bad guys" from knowing the information in the possession of investigators.

After questions of public safety, Reader told residents of Pike County to arm themselves if they feared for their family's safety.

:tfrxmas:

The Rhoden family

Victims of the mass shooting were all related.

The first seven victims were located by Pike County deputies at 4077 Union Hill Road, 4199 Union Hill Road and 3122 Union Hill Road, all in Pike County.

The initial 911 call was for the 4077 Union Hill address, which is the home of Christopher Rhoden.

Pastor Phil Fulton, of Union Hill Church, said one of the deceased is 37-year-old Dana Manley Rhoden, Christopher Rhoden's ex-wife.

A fourth crime scene with an eighth victim, a 16-year-old boy, was established near Left Fork Road's intersection with OH 772 in Pike County.

Three small children, a now 5-day-old, a 6-month-old and a 3-year-old survived the shootings. The Pike County Sheriff's Office and the Ohio Attorney General's Office have not said who is currently caring for the children.

The investigation

Update 5:30 p.m. Sunday: Attorney General Mike DeWine and Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader had very little to reveal about the investigation into the Pike County mass killings during a Sunday evening press conference, but did say authorities found three marijuana grow operations at the scenes of the crime.

Reader indicated teams of law enforcement were in the woods near the crime scenes looking for evidence. Reader and DeWine would not comment on if the crimes were drug-related, but reiterated the shootings were planned and specifically targeted the Rhoden family.

Evidence found during searches around the Rhoden residences would be sent to the state crime lab, where 18 other pieces of evidence from the scenes are being analyzed, DeWine said.

Authorities have conducted 50 to 60 interviews and executed five search warrants since the scene was discovered Friday morning, DeWine said.

Reader and DeWine refused to release many more details to the public in an attempt to keep the "bad guys" from knowing the information in the possession of investigators.

After questions of public safety, Reader told residents of Pike County to arm themselves if they feared for their family's safety.

Previous reporting: With four crime scenes, the investigation is a large and complex one, Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said Friday.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine's office was contacted at the outset of the investigation and sent more than 30 Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents to the scenes.

At a Friday press conference, DeWine said evidence at the scenes did not indicate any of the eight deaths were via suicide, suggesting a suspect is still at large.

Police detained a "person of interest" in Chillicothe late Friday night, but DeWine said that person was just one of 30 who were interviewed Friday in connection with the case.

Reader said the family appeared to be targeted and there was "no specific threat to the community."

A Saturday morning press release distributed by the Attorney General's Office said no arrests have been made and Ohio Gov. John Kasich had been briefed on the situation.

The Hamilton County Coroner's Office is performing the victim autopsies Saturday, the Attorney General's Office said.

The Attorney General's Office Saturday evening released the names of the victim's of Friday morning's mass shooting in Pike County.

The deceased are: Hannah Gilley, Christopher, Rhoden, Sr., Christopher Rhoden, Jr., Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, Dana Rhoden, Gary Rhoden, Hanna Rhoden and Kenneth Rhoden.

The Attorney General's Office announced that work at each of the four crime scenes has been completed.

Authorities are urging anyone with information that could help to call 855-BCI-OHIO.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Couple of thoughts.

quote:

37-year-old Dana Manley Rhoden, Christopher Rhoden's ex-wife.

That is interesting. Makes me wonder if she was an adult simply in one of the kill zones or the hitters went out of their way to get her.

Also note the ages of two of the children spared, 5 days and 6 months.

Now it was reported that the mother of the 5 day old was shot in the head in bed. That's...well a bit unusual to me. Generally babies-kids those age will keep the parents up all night. Not always (some kids are just super calm) but it's a good chance.

What I'm suggesting is that these hitters seemed to have some really good tradecraft at stealth to get most of the victims in bed with head shots. Likely these guys are so very out of the country now.

Lime Tonics posted:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/04/marijuana_growing_operations_f.html

Each victim had been shot in the head, DeWine's office said.

One of the women was killed in her bed as her 4-day-old baby lay next to her. Two other children, a six-month-old and 3-year-old, survived the shootings.

DeWine's office released the names of the victims Saturday:

Kenneth Rhoden, 44
Christopher Rhoden, Sr., 40
Gary Rhoden, 38
Dana Rhoden, 37
Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, 20
Hannah Gilley, 20
Hanna Rhoden, 19
Christopher Rhoden, Jr., 16

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

i bet they waited until she had the baby to make the hit. pro-life hitmen.

For a group this organized, we can assume they had very good intelligence. They may have legitimately made this decision. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

to wipe out an entire family line say what you want but that is some goddamn biblical justice

Despite myself I'm loving impressed by the tradecraft.

Probably got a good yelp review.

8/8 would hire again.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

final2percent posted:

shameful that we still have dog fighting in the age of pokemon

You are right. We should have NEET fights to the death.

Takes up the same space as a dog really.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

A person posted in a 2 year old topic about the imminent death of an entire family hours before the deaths on Hottopix.com lmao

:chanpop:

Jesus.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

they didnt shoot any of the kids so prolly not cops

:golfclap:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BeefThief posted:

the cartel is obsessed with fibonacci's sequence but they dont quite get it

Jesus christ I laughed

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ultimo Hombre posted:

Probably the Sinaloa cartel, I think just about every big drug ring that has been busted here in Columbus has bad ties to them. I'm pretty sure they most recently shot up a Mexican grocery store and killed the brother of the man who owned the chain of grocery's here. The owner was arrested for importing drugs and then brining a hitman up from Mexico to take care of the judge and prosecutor.

King's Island does sound fun, I haven't been there in years.

Christ

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

John Denver Hoxha posted:

this event comes in at a solid 2 tin soldiers and nixons on the tragedy scale

How do you measure nixons? In KnottaCrooks?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I haven't heard of impounding entire crime scenes, no.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So do we know if it's hillbilly justice or narco assassins?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

So more like Real Detectives

:golfclap:

Still real curious about this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Good post, interesting thread, haters have tiny dicks.

• Locked thread