Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So I've enjoyed this show as the mindless action it is, but holy poo poo this show triggers some deep set sperg in me I never knew I had.

For context, I work on the railroad and have some decent background as a manager, so needless to say the trains in this show work weird.

Who the gently caress maintains the tracks between stations? Tracks that take heavy tonnage (Those trains easily weigh more than most freight trains) would need repair. And because its wood tie railroad, that means it can lose gauge if enough ties gently caress up, and considering when those trains travel they're mowing down corpses, that's not exactly something easy to repair. So who the gently caress is repairing the tracks?

The train engineer lady also last episode said "Evasive maneuvers" which is so loving ridiculous like what the hell? Trains are ON RAILS they don't dodge. And more importantly how did she move the switch? Switches nowadays are done either remotely or manually by hand, but nobody threw the switch so she could make a sudden detour, it just happened. Do they have remote control? Throughout the show it seems random what can magically switch remotely and what cannot.

Also who the gently caress is designing these curves. Not only do they have almost no elevation to bank on, but even worse they make arbitrary high degree turns in the middle of their stations for NO loving REASON. Like I get its fantasy trains but it just looks stupid having tracks with random curves that could have been straight.

Also the wheel lift that happened in episode six was laughable watching a bunch of people 'lean' on the car hoping that'd tip it back. The train weighs far more than they do and they are insignificant cargo compared to the train itself. No matter what they did it was either derailing or it wasn't.

In short, holy poo poo this show is so loving inaccurate but at least its really cool.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So I've enjoyed this show as the mindless action it is, but holy poo poo this show triggers some deep set sperg in me I never knew I had.

For context, I work on the railroad and have some decent background as a manager, so needless to say the trains in this show work weird.

Who the gently caress maintains the tracks between stations? Tracks that take heavy tonnage (Those trains easily weigh more than most freight trains) would need repair. And because its wood tie railroad, that means it can lose gauge if enough ties gently caress up, and considering when those trains travel they're mowing down corpses, that's not exactly something easy to repair. So who the gently caress is repairing the tracks?

The train engineer lady also last episode said "Evasive maneuvers" which is so loving ridiculous like what the hell? Trains are ON RAILS they don't dodge. And more importantly how did she move the switch? Switches nowadays are done either remotely or manually by hand, but nobody threw the switch so she could make a sudden detour, it just happened. Do they have remote control? Throughout the show it seems random what can magically switch remotely and what cannot.

Also who the gently caress is designing these curves. Not only do they have almost no elevation to bank on, but even worse they make arbitrary high degree turns in the middle of their stations for NO loving REASON. Like I get its fantasy trains but it just looks stupid having tracks with random curves that could have been straight.

Also the wheel lift that happened in episode six was laughable watching a bunch of people 'lean' on the car hoping that'd tip it back. The train weighs far more than they do and they are insignificant cargo compared to the train itself. No matter what they did it was either derailing or it wasn't.

In short, holy poo poo this show is so loving inaccurate but at least its really cool.

well at least the lean would do more than the pushing they were doing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

C-SPAN Caller posted:

This is a super interesting post. I'm not being sarcastic or a dick, it really is.

Seriously, I never thought I'd see an honest to god train worker come in and comment on the plausibility and logistics of steampunk anime zombie-mower trains. :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Everything and everyone in this show is dumb as hell, and it's a 50/50 split on whether it's entertaining or infuriating.

"Let's release the pressure valves for a speed boost on these curving tracks" *undresses*

I was half expecting them to throw yellow and red presto logs into the furnace

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Everything and everyone in this show is dumb as hell, and it's a 50/50 split on whether it's entertaining or infuriating.

"Let's release the pressure valves for a speed boost on these curving tracks" *undresses*

I was half expecting them to throw yellow and red presto logs into the furnace

I mean it's weird for example steam trains had to stop every hundred or so miles to resupply water so it makes sense they need to stop for water, but then they do weird bullshit like conveniently being able to switch into the exact track that will let them dodge.

I'll make a post later covering every weird railroad shenanigans but I admit I don't know much about steam since we only use diesel electric.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

:henget:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sorry but most women train engineers do not look like that, although there's barely any of them to begin with :smith:

I want to get that swole though eitherway

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
2D wins again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm sorry but most women train engineers do not look like that, although there's barely any of them to begin with :smith:

she's a zombie train engineer, they have to be chisled to work the big iron levers and stuff

also she's sexy af

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Condiv posted:

she's a zombie train engineer, they have to be chisled to work the big iron levers and stuff

also she's sexy af

I want to cosplay as her one day so bad

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

See this part? I actually used to work with a lady who, as her hobby, was a fireman (woman) on steam trains (ie shoveling coal). She was hot at hell though admittedly she seemed to be the only female person in her group, society, whatever, all of the pictures she had of her hobby showed a horde of guys clustered hopefully around her with adoring expressions.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

As far as I can tell, they have mechanisms that lets a train hit a switch slightly before that section of track. It's in episode 2 I think, they show them trying to operate the switch but it's jammed with kabane so Ikoma does it manually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The train engineer lady also last episode said "Evasive maneuvers" which is so loving ridiculous like what the hell? Trains are ON RAILS they don't dodge.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Funny enough that can happen but it causes derails once the tracks are too far apart

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Argas posted:

As far as I can tell, they have mechanisms that lets a train hit a switch slightly before that section of track. It's in episode 2 I think, they show them trying to operate the switch but it's jammed with kabane so Ikoma does it manually.

I don't know how they activate it but whatever it's dumb mindless schlock.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Funny enough that can happen but it causes derails once the tracks are too far apart

do you have a video of that? all i can find used models or train simulators.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Black Cloud owes a huge debt to Princess Mononoke, but I really dig it. All this show's design work has been top-notch/

I guess when you're dealing w the threat of zombies, building silly random curves into the tracks is an alright way of avoiding too much congestion ya have to plow thru, cause what if they just crowd together into one big clump on the tracks. Then they're REALLY hosed. Then again, that just begs the question of who were the poor bastards who had to clear the land and set the tracks while this living hell was going on? Eh, it's Araki. Best not to think about it.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

do you have a video of that? all i can find used models or train simulators.

No video just photos, and it was a railroad employee that had it that was a company photo so I can't technically link that and keep my job.

Basically what happens is you switch a train engine between the axles, it's considered a derail by default though and the only time it happens without the trains toppling over is if its in yard tracks going at under 10 mph or walking speed and the dumbass switches it too early.

Pootybutt posted:

The Black Cloud owes a huge debt to Princess Mononoke, but I really dig it. All this show's design work has been top-notch/

I guess when you're dealing w the threat of zombies, building silly random curves into the tracks is an alright way of avoiding too much congestion ya have to plow thru, cause what if they just crowd together into one big clump on the tracks. Then they're REALLY hosed. Then again, that just begs the question of who were the poor bastards who had to clear the land and set the tracks while this living hell was going on? Eh, it's Araki. Best not to think about it.

Once again my first point of "WHO THE gently caress WAS MAINTAINING THE TRACKS" is important.

Due to subgrade issues, tracks, even if in great condition and with good initial ballast, will inevitably due to the water table cause oversaturated soil, from the forces of the train on the ties "churn" up the soil and cause issues in your stability. That poo poo is NOT easy to just 'take care of' and most of the time requires some pretty heavy equipment to get the oversaturated soil out of there, or at best tamping rock underneath the ties inbetween the mud as a stop gap.

Let's not also forget curve rail wear if the rail in curves isn't replaced (even more reason making a fuckton of curves is bad) and the facy train axles are rigid so they will always wear your rails down. If someone can invent adjustable trucks that'd be a godsend for curves.

Also its all wood tie not concrete tie rail, meaning the wood will give and is prone to a lot of bad conditions, not to mention if you wash out from rain, your tracks are gone and you're hosed.

But yes best not to think of it.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 21, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

engineer crew about to release the hottest mixtape of the feudal zombie era

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
American Engineer should be rapping the ending, to a montage of Steering Lady working out

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
Why did they need more speed to begin with? Wasn't the plan to let the titan get close enough for their cannon to shoot it exposing the heart? It isn't like the speed helped them anyways other than to create Dramatic Tension

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I suppose the faster the train was going the less likely it was going to take damage from the momentum of the dead titan slamming into it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Major Ricardo posted:

Why did they need more speed to begin with? Wasn't the plan to let the titan get close enough for their cannon to shoot it exposing the heart? It isn't like the speed helped them anyways other than to create Dramatic Tension

The way I justified that mentally was that the big zombie could match the speed of the train, but the smaller ones could not, so the traintop defense crew would be less likely to be overrun.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

engineer crew about to release the hottest mixtape of the feudal zombie era

Actually that's a train crew, engineer is just one person, aka the person who operates the train, and several of those are conductors and boilermakers, only the lady is the engineer.

Phobophilia posted:

I suppose the faster the train was going the less likely it was going to take damage from the momentum of the dead titan slamming into it.

Trains going faster do more damage to themselves and others because of physics. Also it puts the passengers more at risk, see recent Amtrak disaster with the train going way too fast for its class of track. Going faster than your track speed (and curves are usually not able to go very fast in them without derailing horribly unless you have super elevation and rail cant to enable it with proper cars for such conditions) so yeah going faster isn't really the best idea.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 21, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

No video just photos, and it was a railroad employee that had it that was a company photo so I can't technically link that and keep my job.

Basically what happens is you switch a train engine between the axles, it's considered a derail by default though and the only time it happens without the trains toppling over is if its in yard tracks going at under 10 mph or walking speed and the dumbass switches it too early.

Once again my first point of "WHO THE gently caress WAS MAINTAINING THE TRACKS" is important.

Due to subgrade issues, tracks, even if in great condition and with good initial ballast, will inevitably due to the water table cause oversaturated soil, from the forces of the train on the ties "churn" up the soil and cause issues in your stability. That poo poo is NOT easy to just 'take care of' and most of the time requires some pretty heavy equipment to get the oversaturated soil out of there, or at best tamping rock underneath the ties inbetween the mud as a stop gap.

Let's not also forget curve rail wear if the rail in curves isn't replaced (even more reason making a fuckton of curves is bad) and the facy train axles are rigid so they will always wear your rails down. If someone can invent adjustable trucks that'd be a godsend for curves.

Also its all wood tie not concrete tie rail, meaning the wood will give and is prone to a lot of bad conditions, not to mention if you wash out from rain, your tracks are gone and you're hosed.

But yes best not to think of it.

Again, an actual rail-worker harping on train physics in an anime zombie-steampunk. Making my day. :allears:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Again, an actual rail-worker harping on train physics in an anime zombie-steampunk. Making my day. :allears:

I will continue to comment every episode on bullshit that I see for fun. I don't know how steam trains work so I can't comment on that since that stuff hasn't been used outside of heritage runs for photo ops in 80 years.

I will also answer show related train questions to the best of my ability

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Actually that's a train crew, engineer is just one person, aka the person who operates the train, and several of those are conductors and boilermakers, only the lady is the engineer.

Aren't they regular engineers though? Not train engineers, but they also maintain/create the steam weapons too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mumei Pixiv Spotlight:
http://spotlight.pics/en/a/1299

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

Aren't they regular engineers though? Not train engineers, but they also maintain/create the steam weapons too.

Man I don't remember is the fat one in thst pic?

Also they're more akin to mechanics than engineers akin to our mechanical department.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Man I don't remember is the fat one in thst pic?

Also they're more akin to mechanics than engineers akin to our mechanical department.

The picture is just a few posts earlier. Fat friend is on the bottom, Uncle Sam and chunkremover are on the top.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

The picture is just a few posts earlier. Fat friend is on the bottom, Uncle Sam and chunkremover are on the top.

They wouldn't be engineers then, just mechanics. The only non-railroad engineer is the main character.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Trains going faster do more damage to themselves and others because of physics.

But... they were travelling AWAY from the fused colony, so relative velocity was reduced with their increased speed. Even if they were headed toward one another, given the difference in hardness between the majority of the zombies' bodies and the armor on the train, there might be a point, velocity-wise, at which more of the energy of the train passes through the zombies, as opposed to being directed at the specific site of collision, becoming more inelastic, like a heavy and slow bullet's penetration as opposed to a fast and light one's.

Physics is just generally weird in this show. We see all kinds of poo poo falling on the zombies and incapacitating them, and we see Mumei piercing them with a normal steel sword, but bushibro needs that special sword to pierce them, despite the explanation being the relative hardnesses of the zombies' heartcases and steel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I will continue to comment every episode on bullshit that I see for fun. I don't know how steam trains work so I can't comment on that since that stuff hasn't been used outside of heritage runs for photo ops in 80 years.

I will also answer show related train questions to the best of my ability
I hate when people splerg out on shows, but you aren't bringing the anger, just the facts/fun. Thank you for the info, as an occasional Amtrak rider, this is all fascinating.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So wait, she's 12? Jesus Christ that's some next level :japan:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

So wait, she's 12? Jesus Christ that's some next level :japan:
Yeahhh...Episode 6 drove the point home that she only became a Kabaneri several years ago (instead of eons), so for all purposes she's really 12.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Major Ricardo posted:

i think they needed time to prep another shot from the cannon after they hosed up that first shot. in that case, increasing the speed helps them a ton

edit: then again i think the big kabane was already on top of the train by that point making it worthless again

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

lmao

• Locked thread