Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

C-SPAN Caller posted:

No video just photos, and it was a railroad employee that had it that was a company photo so I can't technically link that and keep my job.

Basically what happens is you switch a train engine between the axles, it's considered a derail by default though and the only time it happens without the trains toppling over is if its in yard tracks going at under 10 mph or walking speed and the dumbass switches it too early.

Once again my first point of "WHO THE gently caress WAS MAINTAINING THE TRACKS" is important.

Due to subgrade issues, tracks, even if in great condition and with good initial ballast, will inevitably due to the water table cause oversaturated soil, from the forces of the train on the ties "churn" up the soil and cause issues in your stability. That poo poo is NOT easy to just 'take care of' and most of the time requires some pretty heavy equipment to get the oversaturated soil out of there, or at best tamping rock underneath the ties inbetween the mud as a stop gap.

Let's not also forget curve rail wear if the rail in curves isn't replaced (even more reason making a fuckton of curves is bad) and the facy train axles are rigid so they will always wear your rails down. If someone can invent adjustable trucks that'd be a godsend for curves.

Also its all wood tie not concrete tie rail, meaning the wood will give and is prone to a lot of bad conditions, not to mention if you wash out from rain, your tracks are gone and you're hosed.

But yes best not to think of it.

My guess is that they send out armoured trains on occasion specifically to fix up the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I'm really glad that I'm the kind of person who sees the lack of realism in this anime as a plus.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Command Ant posted:

I'm really glad that I'm the kind of person who sees the lack of realism in this anime as a plus.

Oh its great and I don't mind how silly it is, it just triggers me to post about how trains really work.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Oh its great and I don't mind how silly it is, it just triggers me to post about how trains really work.

So what is the best gauge of rail for killing zombies/titans.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Major Ricardo posted:

So what is the best gauge of rail for killing zombies/titans.

Broad gauge rails would be the best as it would allow you to transport heavier equipment due to greater tie distribution and put stuff like rocket launchers and cranes on your train, like real life.

So if the rail is broad gauge, (I haven't really done any analysis of the tracks width compared to a person) then they actually did something correct.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/wit_studio/status/734171063391686656

Seems legit.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

C-SPAN caller, is this something that actually happens to rail engineers' eyes? tia

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Everything and everyone in this show is dumb as hell, and it's a 50/50 split on whether it's entertaining or infuriating.

"Let's release the pressure valves for a speed boost on these curving tracks" *undresses*

I was half expecting them to throw yellow and red presto logs into the furnace

Fwiw, she was talking about the limits on the steam pressure which is an important thing to have to not potentially blow a pipe or something while in the process or if done too much.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Stark?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, i've seen this before

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Broad gauge rails would be the best as it would allow you to transport heavier equipment due to greater tie distribution and put stuff like rocket launchers and cranes on your train, like real life.

Used to live by tracks. First thing I noticed was that their rail gauge was something ridiculous. Their trains are loving enormous.

They also have some tracks in the first episode that are closer to standard gauge, but can figure that's just first-episode-itis.

From the intro:

Easily 10-12 foot gauge.

I second the nomination for 'Anime As gently caress' 2016.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Apparently train spergs should not watch this

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Drythe posted:

Counterpoint: they should.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Drythe posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

As a train sperg by accidentally ending up in it as a profession I agree show owns.

I originally wanted to work on roads but ended up in rail :shrug:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

As long as it's not a railroad plot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

So wait, she's 12? Jesus Christ that's some next level :japan:

That's honestly less egregious than Samurai dude being 17 and engineer chick being 16.

:worship:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Enter Bieber-sama.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pootybutt posted:

Enter Bieber-sama.
Quick throw Aerosol cans and beverages at him! :haw:

Honestly though is Bibe secretly working with the Kabane or what?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He's probably just using his role to amass public and political power.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

He's probably just using his role to amass public and political power.

Probably. Even amidst a national plague, I'd imagine there's still the need to engage in power grabs and petty political struggles. The Liberators may or possibly previously be part of a coup (whatever that 10 years ago thing with the chiefs were about).

So what is Daita-iron? Is it actually lead or tin or something? Unless there's an iron alloy that I'm not aware of that's actually really weak and has an attainable evaporation point (which is pretty loving high, except for the least solid of metals)?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, show, you've got a good thing going with Mumei as Ikoma's surrogate kid sister.

Don't make it weird.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Xelkelvos posted:

So what is Daita-iron? Is it actually lead or tin or something? Unless there's an iron alloy that I'm not aware of that's actually really weak and has an attainable evaporation point (which is pretty loving high, except for the least solid of metals)?

I don't think it's possible to know for real without the kanji. I've never heard of it, at least.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 28, 2016

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Kyte posted:

I don't think it's possible to know for real without the kanji. I've never heard of it, at least.

They managed to fit in Tanabata, so does that mean we will get the obligatory story set at the beach as well?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Major Ricardo posted:

They managed to fit in Tanabata, so does that mean we will get the obligatory story set at the beach as well?

It won't be watermelons they'll be smashing.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Train girl smashing a watermelon between her thighs.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically ikoma is going to do something stupid and drive away mumei, then biba is going to do something morally horrendous and drive away mumei

i do think ikoma and biba can make good foils for one another, biba exists in a much more grey area, and has everything that ikoma desires

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I'm seriously weirded out by how Mumei's skin tone is Extra Pink but Ikoma, as a fellow Kabaneri, has about three blue and green filters on his skin, especially in this episode. Why is that necessary, any ideas? :confused:

And since Biber came up...how freaking fitting is it that this rockstar-shogun's son-guy is voiced by Mamoru Miyano? :allears: Good times ahead whether he goes bombastically evil or is a decent fella!

CryingAthena fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 28, 2016

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CryingAthena posted:

I'm seriously weirded out by how Mumei's skin tone is Extra Pink but Ikoma, as a fellow Kabaneri, has about three blue and green filters on his skin, especially in this episode. Why is that necessary, any ideas? :confused:

I doubt she was put into a strangling machine.

Why does Ikoma still wear his steampunk bdsm anywear, anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CryingAthena posted:

It's implied that they had different creation methods. Hence Ikoma's always-on harness and lack of a time limit. On the other hand, it might just be that he's a pasty nerd and she's a healthy kid who gets plenty of outdoor exercise.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

It's implied that they had different creation methods. Hence Ikoma's always-on harness and lack of a time limit. On the other hand, it might just be that he's a pasty nerd and she's a healthy kid who gets plenty of outdoor exercise.

It is odd that the people of the town who don't know what/who he is down comment on the shade of his skin (it seems like they'd be racist).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZ-IxZ46ng

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Ikoma still has a time limit, it just seems to be far less restrictive than Mumei's. He almost hit the end of it when he first got blood from Ayame.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Ikoma still has a time limit, it just seems to be far less restrictive than Mumei's. He almost hit the end of it when he first got blood from Ayame.

I think there's two separate (though probably related) things going on there. All Kabaneri go into a frenzy if they don't get regular doses of blood. However, Mumei also gets sleepy after extended physical activity, which doesn't seem to be affected by how much blood she has, whereas Ikoma is basically a humanoid Energizer bunny.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

I think there's two separate (though probably related) things going on there. All Kabaneri go into a frenzy if they don't get regular doses of blood. However, Mumei also gets sleepy after extended physical activity, which doesn't seem to be affected by how much blood she has, whereas Ikoma is basically a humanoid Energizer bunny.

It looked like Ikoma was going to pass out before he got the blood from Ayame, not go into a frenzy. He could barely move any more. He even got the same glowing face lines that Mumei does when she overworks herself.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

A couple points I've noticed:

1) Mumei's training methods (or the lack thereof): It's been noted a few times that Kabane are excellent copiers and mimics, after all it's how the one with the two swords was such a threat. So it's most efficient for Ikoma to learn by osmosis essentially. See a move being made, then try it himself.

2) Mumei did also observe in Ep.8 that Ms. Nanny/surrogate Mother has her strengths (bartering like a motherfucker); they're just different from hers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

A couple points I've noticed:

1) Mumei's training methods (or the lack thereof): It's been noted a few times that Kabane are excellent copiers and mimics, after all it's how the one with the two swords was such a threat. So it's most efficient for Ikoma to learn by osmosis essentially. See a move being made, then try it himself.

2) Mumei did also observe in Ep.8 that Ms. Nanny/surrogate Mother has her strengths (bartering like a motherfucker); they're just different from hers.

I look forward to Mumei assimilating deadly, cut-throat haggling.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Why does Ikoma still wear his steampunk bdsm anywear, anyway?

Has any evidence come up that shows it'd be safe to take that stuff off? It works, best not to gently caress with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Dude had a weird sex harness in his house before he became a kabaneri. That says it all, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

He was just being prepared for anything guys

• Locked thread