Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Artificer posted:

No way. Was there any sort of outrage about that or is that par for course for the Daily Mail?

Rupert Murdoch owns the daily mail, and they frequently make Fox News look subtle by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sharkie posted:

whoops, wrong thread. Have this instead, NC's bathroom bill is already starting to bear fruit; a cisgender woman was violently ejected from the women's bathroom by police:

http://www.cartelpress.com/north-carolina-woman-kicked-womens-bathroom-police-mistaken-transgender/

Thankfully this particular incident seems to be fake news originating with worldnewsdailyreport.com.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Either it gets repealed or the courts will strike it down, and frankly the politicians that passed it know it will happen. Passing these bills is just a way to appease their voting base, and then they can turn and raise a fuss when it inevitably gets struck down.

While I agree with the rest of the points you made in your post, I personally disagree with this point. I do not think the people passing these laws are aware that they will simply be struck down, nor do I think that this is a cynical Ploy just to rile the bass up. Well that would have been absolutely true 15 years ago, in our post Tea Party World, I really think that these are genuine true believers who have been elected to positions of power that are pushing these policies.

I really think that the systematic effort by the Tea Party the primary everyone who was dumb enough to admit to having a rational opinion about governance and public has resulted in genuine True Believers seizing the reins of power in certain areas of the country. I don't believe at all that this is about just riling up the base at this point, this is about fighting a holy war against the alien other that is coming to destroy them all. They aren't really fighting to win, nor are they fighting to rile up the base 2 continue getting reelected. They're fighting because it's a righteous cause, and they perceived their only real two choices as being either that a passively going along with outright evil, or going down fighting the good fight.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Schizotek posted:

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

:glomp:

I wish there was something more I could say, that sort of pain runs very deep.

:glomp:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I posed this in the RWM thread as well, but I think it is relevant enough to warrant a crosspost here.

Prester Jane posted:

So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.

• A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves.

• A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US.

• A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.)

• One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

Edit: Added the text I meant to crosspost.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 20, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
For those who have not read my thread, this video is an actual advertisement for A.C.E. This is what they think makes parents *want* to put their children in A.C.E.

Warning! The abyss WILL gaze back into you if you watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

And this is a video of British activist going through what is supposed to be a 9th grade (year 10 in the British system) history textbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 20, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Quorum posted:

Good news, instead of Falwell he went with Mrs. Voucherize the Entirety of Detroit! The Internet atheists love school choice, as it allows them to use public money to send their kids to schools with no black kids. Or they would, if they had kids. Plus, in all of the states where that's actually going to happen, the amount of regulation there will be is approximately zero, so who can say "public money for Accelerated Christian Education," kids?

Ungh. The last time I thought closet nazi's had seized control of our government the meds took that away, (God bless you Geodon) but for some unknown reason not so much this time.

This is just a bit of gallows humor, I am fine. For me best way to confront the abyss is to find something to laugh about and just laugh in its face no matter how you actually feel. If you can do that, sometimes even the abyss will hesitate for a moment.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Liquid Communism posted:

My standpoint is that people suffering significant distress and/or impairment are suffering from mental illness, yes. The same as are those suffering depression, anxiety, or PTSD issues, to name the most common issues currently in the wild.

De-stigmatization of mental illness and treating it like any other medical condition that requires treatment is the goal here, not trying to generate new euphemisms that do not accurately reflect the problem and how it can be approached to better the patient's life. Mental illness is, for the vast majority of cases, no more the fault of the person suffering it than Type 1 diabetes would be.

What you are simply not getting is that in your model a trans-person can be denied necessary medical care until their Dysphoria reaches the point where it can be diagnosed as a mental illness. Also, there is a strong stigma attached to mental illness and while it would be nice for society to overcome that we do not yet live in that world. By forcing trans people to accept the label of mental illness you are just stacking social stigma on top of social stigma. You are also giving ammunition to the bigots who often refer to the presence of gender dysphoria in the DSM as "proof" that trans people are deluded/dangerous and should be treated as a threat to society.

Yeah, it would be great if the stigma around being trans or being mentally ill would suddenly disappear from society. But we do not live in that world right now, and we are not going to be living it anytime in the near future either.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Liquid Communism posted:

What's your better option? Without a viable diagnosis, insurance companies are going to continue to find ways to deny treatment.

Make it a medically recognized condition that requires treatment but is not considered in and of itself a mental illness.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Liquid Communism posted:

What exactly is gained by doing so? It seems to me that you're just creating unclear definitions and generating a new edge case for the sake of avoiding a label.

What is gained by doing so? Improved access to medical care for transpersons without needing to go through the gatekeeper of being diagnosed with a mental illness in order to get care. And if I am generating an edge case for the sake of avoiding a label, so what? Improving real world outcomes for transpersons is the goal here, not having a tidy conceptual box to put transpersons in. If we need to create a special edge case in order to avoid adding the stigma of mental illness to the stigma that transpersons already face then why the hell should we not exactly? Is simpler paperwork and a simple definition a good enough reason to add gatekeepers and increase the stigma that transpersons face?

Edit: From my perspective you are arguing from a place of privilege without really realizing it. You are arguing that transpersons should have to accept a mental illness diagnosis in order to receive treatment, and when transpeople object your reaction has been to not listen to a thing that anyone said while implying that us transpeople don't understand our own medical needs and are just trying to over-complicate matters by wishing to avoid a label of mental illness.

It seems like to you this debate is about an abstract concept of how to properly label something on paperwork, and I am trying to avoid giving society more fuel to harass/oppress/murder transpeople. Do you really think that in the middle of a massive spike of anti-trans hate crimes (to say nothing of a massive and organized anti-trans political campaign) is the right time to argue that transpeople should have to accept a label of mental illness in order to receive medical care? Can you not see how a transperson who is just coming to grips with their condition might opt to not seek treatment because of the mental illness diagnosis? Can you not understand that forcing transpeople to accept the label of mental illness will only increase the anxiety and stress we already have to deal with?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 12, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
A few years ago (when I was still closeted to myself and still posing as a cishet male) I lived for over half a year in an in-patient treatment program for people suffering from mental illness. (I have a formal diagnosis of Schizoaffective disoreder that is not related to my gender identity) Part of this program was an endless parade of lifeskills classes that we all had to attend. One of those classes focused specifically on legal ways that we residents could obscure both our mental illness diagnosis as well as our time living at that facility from future employers/landlords/anyone else. The point was to help us avoid having the stigma of mental illness attached to us so that we would be less likely to wind up unemployed/homeless in the future. The general gist of the class was "don't tell anyone who doesn't have a good reason to know", and the facility in question lived by that motto and took pains to hide our residency there from inquiring eyes.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 12, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So back in mid-November I called a few people I know who are involved in A.C.E. and got them talking about what was going on behind the scenes. (To be honest I let them lead me to Christ over the phone and when they were in the giddy glow of successfully "winning a soul" I got them talking. Its the cult version of getting someone drunk so they spill the beans. Not my proudest moment but I was curious how they were reacting.) Based on those conversations I was able to piece together the following analysis.

Prester Jane posted:

So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.

• A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves.

• A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US.

• A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.)

• One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

In addition to Devos being selected for Secretary of Education there is another recent development in line with these projections. Jerry Falwell Jr. Says He Will Lead Federal Task Force on Higher-Ed Policy

The Chronicle of Higher Education posted:

Jerry L. Falwell Jr., president of Liberty University, has been asked by President Trump to head up a new task force that will identify changes that should be made to the U.S. Department of Education’s policies and procedures, Mr. Falwell told The Chronicle on Tuesday.

The exact scope, size, and mission of the task force has yet to be formally announced. But in an interview, Mr. Falwell said he sees it as a response to what he called “overreaching regulation” and micromanagement by the department in areas like accreditation and policies that affect colleges’ student-recruiting behavior, like the new “borrower defense to repayment” regulations.

“The goal is to pare it back and give colleges and their accrediting agencies more leeway in governing their affairs,” said Mr. Falwell, who said he had been discussing possible issues with several other college leaders and at least one head of an accrediting agency for the past two months. “I’ve got notebooks full of issues,” he said.

Mr. Falwell said Mr. Trump had first asked him to head up the task force in November, when the two met at Trump Tower in New York. At the time, Mr. Falwell said he had declined Mr. Trump’s offer to become U.S. education secretary because “I wanted a role that would allow me to stay at Liberty.”

Mr. Falwell praised President Trump's nominee for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, whom he met for the first time recently, at a service at the Washington National Cathedral. "The task force will be a big help to her. It will do some of the work for her."

He kept the task-force offer private until Tuesday, when Steve Bannon, President Trump's chief strategist, gave him the green light to discuss it, according to Mr. Falwell.

For those who don't know who Jerry Falwell Jr. is, here is what he had to say about the 9-11 attacks:

Jerry Falwell posted:

The comments came as Falwell was appearing as a guest on Robertson's daily 700 Club program. Both expressed their sorrow and outrage over the attacks and advocated a strong response to the terror. Then Falwell elaborated on who, in addition to the terrorists who perpetrated the attacks, was responsible for them.

God, he told Robertson, had protected America "wonderfully these 225 years. And since 1812, this is the first time that we've been attacked on our soil and by far the worst results.

"Throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools," he said. "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad.

"[T]he pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way — all of them who have tried to secularize America," Falwell continued, "I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

"Well, I totally concur," responded Robertson.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

It's there anyway to get this information out to a wider audience? I feel like the only way to stop this becoming an inevitability is to head it off early.

I've emailed dozens of reporters and news agencies and even had a goon hook me up with an inside contact to a major media outlet. So far I haven't heard back from anyone no matter waht approach I try. Explaining what A.C.E is requires a loving novella with extensive citations and it is my guess that those emails are simply never read. So I've also tried sendin shorter emails trying to explain things in their simplest terms with the least grandiose language possible and I've still gotten nada.

There is just no way to say: "Hey I was raised in a network of cult schools that the GOP has been secretly sheltering for years because of backroom dealings with a shadowy but incredibly Major conservative thinktank that you have probably never heard of. (Council for National Policy) These schools utilize trauma-based mind control techniques and literally treat children like they are pigeons in a Skinner Box. The "curriculum" of these schools is essentially strait up white supremacy and Christian theocracy that frames anyone not a part of the Christian Right as literal demon possessed agents of Satan that must be opposed and repressed at any cost. The children that come out of this environment are custom built office drones with an insider track to positions of influence within the GOP and have been steadily taking over GOP politics from the inside for decades."- in a simple manner.

So for now I am directing my energy towards writing my new frameworks and waiting for a point in time where journalists/the public are hopefully a little bit more prepared to hear what needs to be said about A.C.E. and its sister programs.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
America does not tolerate failure and it does not forgive failure brought about by incompetence.. And the reason Hillary is not President right now is primarily her own incompetence. While there were many factors that contributed to her defeat all of those factors would have been easily overcome if she had just run a bog standard by-the-book political campaign. Instead she just assumed that she was going to win by default and didn't bother with all the unpleasant grassroots-oriented parts of running a political campaign and focused on fundraising and the like. Hillary's incompetence has cost our country dearly and her actions since losing (like shutting down the Clinton Foundation virtually overnight) have demonstrated that whatever good she did was probably just an incidental part of her triangulation strategy to become more powerful.

40 years from now all anyone will remember of Hillary Clinton is that she is the fuckup that got Donald Trump elected. Will that be an accurate assessment of her long career? Of course not. Will it be a fair one? Considering the magnitude of damage that her incompetence has wrought on the country I would answer in the affirmative.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 9, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Do you realize you're essentially saying "how angry and hurt I feel matters more than actual facts"?

My fervent hope is that 40 years from now having voted for Donald Trump will be a source of great embarrassment and shame. I'd like kids to react to learning their parents voted for Trump like they would if they found a hooded white robe in the closet.

But we live in the present, and we should be operating based on facts rather than your hurt feelings. I get it, I feel hurt and betrayed too, but it makes my skin crawl to see casual denial of facts given easy approval.

The fact is that right now the sole remaining public service that Hillary Clinton can perform for the United States is to be remembered as a public example of the price of arrogance and ambition. Reducing her career to a morality tale serves this goal and is fully warranted IMO.

Also her arrogance has cost lives, many lives. I'm not upset about hurt feelings, I'm upset about lost lives and destroyed dreams. All of which are the result of Hillary's blind ambition.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Arrogance, sure. But ambition? You're upset about ambition from someone running for President? Do you think there has been a single President (or, for that matter non-hereditary head-of-state) who was not a font of ambition?

It is possible to be ambitious without it blinding you. In point of fact I would argue that personal ambition is a personal pitfall that all politicians have to deal with at some point in their career. Hillary allowed her ambition to blind her, and that cost our country dearly. In order to discourage future politicians (who will inevitably experience the same temptation) from falling prey to their own ambition we should endeavor to make sure that Hillary's mistakes serve as an object lesson on the price of allowing yourself to succumb to ambition.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 9, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

stone cold posted:

What exactly was overambitious about Hillary thinking she could be president?

Absolutely nothing. Ignoring the grass roots and progressive base while assuming that you would get the Presidency by default because of who your opponent was exceptionally arrogant however. Arrogance that has cost us all dearly.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fishmech posted:

This didn't happen. The progressive base voted for Hillary. The whiner never votes base didn't.

I never said anything about voting, I specifically said that Hillary ignored the grassroots (rank and file Democratic voters) AND the progressive base (generally individuals like those who frequent this forum). Which she did. And while the progressive base held its nose and voted for her anyways their numbers were depressed. The grass roots numbers were also heavily depressed because Hillary did not try and reach out to them.

My criticism of Hillary has nothing to do with her qualifications or her policies but rather with the decisions she made as a leader when she was running her campaign. A Presidential campaign is supposed to be a harsh leadership test so that you can get a sense of the person running for President. When she was the one in charge she blew it, and she blew it because of how her ambition and arrogance had blinded her.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

stone cold posted:

Why was it exceptionally arrogant and ambitious? What made this exceptional to you?

Has there ever been a successful Presidential campaign that forsook press conferences and public rallies in favor of links to policy papers and fundraisers aimed at the wealthy?

Hillary ignored every bit of conventional election wisdom and tried to run the most soulless and over-managed campaign and never for a moment considered that her opponent might just be a credible threat. To me this was exceptional arrogance.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fishmech posted:

No. This didn't happen. Some of the stupider ones pretended she did, but that's a very different thing.

Her campaign staff would seem to disagree.

Huffington Post posted:

WASHINGTON ― In the closing weeks of the presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton’s staff in key Midwest states sent out alarms to their headquarters in Brooklyn. They were facing a problematic shortage of paid canvassers to help turn out the vote.

For months, the Clinton campaign had banked on a wide army of volunteer organizers to help corral independents and Democratic leaners and re-energize a base not particularly enthused about the election. But they were volunteers. And as anecdotal data came back to offices in key battlegrounds, concern mounted that leadership had skimped on a critical campaign function.

“It was arrogance, arrogance that they were going to win. That this was all wrapped up,” a senior battleground state operative told The Huffington Post.

Several theories have been proffered to explain just what went wrong for the Clinton campaign in an election that virtually everyone expected the Democratic nominee to win. But lost in the discussion is a simple explanation, one that was re-emphasized to HuffPost in interviews with several high-ranking officials and state-based organizers: The Clinton campaign was harmed by its own neglect.

In Michigan alone, a senior battleground state operative told HuffPost that the state party and local officials were running at roughly one-tenth the paid canvasser capacity that Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) had when he ran for president in 2004. Desperate for more human capital, the state party and local officials ended up raising $300,000 themselves to pay 500 people to help canvass in the election’s closing weeks. By that point, however, they were operating in the dark. One organizer said that in a precinct in Flint, they were sent to a burned down trailer park. No one had taken it off the list of places to visit because no one had been there until the final weekend. Clinton lost the state by 12,000 votes.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

stone cold posted:

12000 votes can also be accounted for in voter disenfranchisement, or are we pretending that wasn't a thing?

No, but it would have been overcome if she had run an actual competent campaign. Like I said earlier there were ultimately many factors that contributed to her loss, but the primary one was her own incompetent campaign. As bad as things like the voter disenfranchisement and Comey were they would have been overcome if she had just run a proper Presidential campaign.

fishmech posted:

That says they did less then they should have in retrospect, which is an entirely different thing from the insane bernout assertion that they did nothing.

You know who else would often ignore places and grassroots groups? Obama, both times.

That doesn't say what you claimed though? Man maybe you people are just illiterate, perhaps that's your problem.

Whatever fishmech, the article clearly states that she failed in her campaign outreach and that cost her dearly, exactly like I argued. I don't recall arguing that she did quite *literally* nothing, so please stop with the spergy counter.

Also I would love to see some citations about how Obama failed to do outreach to the grassroots or progressive base during either of his campaigns.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

stone cold posted:

Wait I thought her arrogant ambitious campaign was overmanaged?

Overmanagement is a form of incompetence. These two terms are not mutually exclusive. Her campaign was both over-managed and incompetent.

quote:

How was it incompetent and what does one do to overcome voter intimidation, harassment, and disenfranchisement?

It was incompetent because she simply assumed she would win and did not do the regular gruntwork that a real Presidential campaign requires. As a Presidential candidate you overcome "voter intimidation, harassment, and disenfranchisement" by working closely with and activating the grass roots.

quote:

Also, like how is a campaign incompetent in so much as, this was not like a landslide victory for Trump? He lost by three million votes.

In our system the vote total is irrelevant and the electoral college decides everything. Hillary's campaign purposefully ran up the vote total by doing things like running TV ads in California while ignoring the rust belt. Hillary's campaign did actually succeed at the goal it set for itself of winning the raw votes by a wide margin, but they engaged in this strategy to the exclusion of concerning themselves with the electoral college. This an act of incompetence rooted in the arrogant assumption that Hillary was invulnerable.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fishmech posted:

So you were entirely wrong. Got it!

Citation: anyone who worked those campaigns, as I did. We turned away plenty of "grassroots" organizers and didn't decide to focus in a lot of areas. Others we welcomed in and focused in hard, just like the Clinton campaign.

Citing some personal anecdotes is in no way a citation in support of your statement that Obama frequently ignored the grass roots, nor does it support the implication you made that Obama ignored the grass roots to just as great if not greater an extent than Hillary did.

To see you of all people try and use a vague personal anecdote as a citation is rather strange fishmech.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fishmech posted:

Obama's campaign did ignore "the grassroots" all the time though? All sorts of grassroots organizations never get accepted by the national organizations that's just how elections work. Obama's campaign chose to work with the ones they thought would be most useful and to leave ones they didn't particularly care for alone, just like the Clinton campaign did. I feel like you overestimate how much grassroots organizations should be listened to because the Sanders campaign was often desperate to connect to them to try to shore up their failing campaign which refused to address all sorts of racial and general intersectional issues, a losing strategy in the Democratic party.

Politico: How Hillary Clinto lost Michigan - And blew the election.

Politico posted:

Everybody could see Hillary Clinton was cooked in Iowa. So when, a week-and-a-half out, the Service Employees International Union started hearing anxiety out of Michigan, union officials decided to reroute their volunteers, giving a desperate team on the ground around Detroit some hope.

They started prepping meals and organizing hotel rooms.

SEIU — which had wanted to go to Michigan from the beginning, but been ordered not to — dialed Clinton’s top campaign aides to tell them about the new plan. According to several people familiar with the call, Brooklyn was furious.

Turn that bus around, the Clinton team ordered SEIU. Those volunteers needed to stay in Iowa to fool Donald Trump into competing there, not drive to Michigan, where the Democrat’s models projected a 5-point win through the morning of Election Day.

“They believed they were more experienced, which they were. They believed they were smarter, which they weren’t,” said Donnie Fowler, who was consulting for the Democratic National Committee during the final months of the campaign. “They believed they had better information, which they didn’t.”

Politico spoke to a dozen officials working on or with Clinton’s Michigan campaign, and more than a dozen scattered among other battleground states, her Brooklyn headquarters and in Washington who describe an ongoing fight about campaign tactics, an inability to get top leadership to change course.

Then again, according to senior people in Brooklyn, Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook never heard any of those complaints directly from anyone on his state teams before Election Day

The anecdotes are different but the narrative is the same across battlegrounds, where Democratic operatives lament a one-size-fits-all approach drawn entirely from pre-selected data — operatives spit out “the model, the model,” as they complain about it — guiding Mook’s decisions on field, television, everything else. That’s the same data operation, of course, that predicted Clinton would win the Iowa caucuses by 6 percentage points (she scraped by with two-tenths of a point), and that predicted she’d beat Bernie Sanders in Michigan (he won by 1.5 points).

“I’ve never seen a campaign like this,” said Virgie Rollins, a Democratic National Committee member and longtime political hand in Michigan who described months of failed attempts to get attention to the collapse she was watching unfold in slow-motion among women and African-American millennials.

Rollins, the chair emeritus of the Michigan Democratic Women’s Caucus, said requests into Brooklyn for surrogates to come talk to her group were never answered. When they held their events anyway, she said, they also got no response to requests for a little money to help cover costs.

Rollins doesn’t need a recount to understand why Clinton lost the state.

“When you don’t reach out to community folk and reach out to precinct campaigns and district organizations that know where the votes are, then you’re going to have problems,” she said.

“It was very surgical and corporate. They had their model, this is how they’re going to do it. Their thing was, ‘We don’t have to leave [literature] at the doors, everyone knows who Hillary Clinton is,’” said one person involved in the Michigan campaign. “But in terms of activists, it seems different, it’s maybe they don’t care about us.”

Michigan operatives relay stories like one about an older woman in Flint who showed up at a Clinton campaign office, asking for a lawn sign and offering to canvass, being told these were not “scientifically” significant ways of increasing the vote, and leaving, never to return. A crew of building trade workers showed up at another office looking to canvass, but, confused after being told there was no literature to hand out like in most campaigns, also left and never looked back.

“There’s this illusion that the Clinton campaign had a ground game. The deal is that the Clinton campaign could have had a ground game,” said a former Obama operative in Michigan. “They had people in the states who were willing to do stuff. But they didn’t provide people anything to do until GOTV.”

Funny fishmech you were not part of Hillary Clinton's campaign and are telling me one thing but all these people who actually were involved in the campaign are saying something very different. Even a former Obama campaign official agrees with the assertion that Clinto failed to run a proper ground game.

Complaints like the ones in the article above are not resulting from a campaign with limited resources being unable to handle all the offers of help they received. Rather they are the result of a campaign that failed to do a remotely sufficient amount of outreach to the grassroots.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 9, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fishmech posted:

Hmm, once again, you continue to ignore that certain grassroots organizations not being let in is totally normal. I get that you're ignorant, but you don't have to reiterate it. It's uncouth.

Rerouting a bus full of campaign volounteers from a state you might win to one you know you are going to lose because you are trying to play some sort of psychout game with your opponent is quite different from not having a role for literally every grass roots organization that offers to help. Even the Obama campaign official called Hillary's ground game an "illusion".

Also, passing over a few small organizations here and there is quite different from simply ignoring the heads of state level organizations and refusing to coordinate with them. Stop acting like this was only a few minor bit players here and there that were ignored instead of reality wherein the heads of large grass roots organizations are publicly saying they were ignored.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Crossposting this from the Trump thread RE: What Betsy Devos portends for American education:

For those who have not yet had the pleasure (and would additionally like to stare jaw-agape at a genuine horror this fine afternoon) this is an actual advertisement for "Accelerated Christian Education". In this video children a very cheery and professional voice describes ijn detail how the entire philosophy of A.C.E. can be explained using a metaphor wherein children are compared to livestock that must be constantly rewarded/punished for every action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

This entire system is designed quite literally as a life-size "Skinner Box" for children. I am not exaggerating here, A.C.E. quite literally admits that it bases its approach on the operant conditioning theories that B.F. Skinner developed by experimenting on pigeons. The entire program has been quietly supported behind-the-scenes for years by the conservative "Council for National Policy" and the heavy influence of conservative ideology pervades the entire curriculum. The entire framework of A.C.E. is quite explicitly designed to churn out office drones to work in public office for the GOP.

As a result A.C.E. simulates a corporate office environment in as much detail as possible. Students work alone in silence filling out endless reams of paperwork packets called "PACES" (Packets of Accelerated Christian Education) and students must raise flags to request assistance from a "Supervisor". (There are no teachers in A.C.E., only Supervisors.) The curriculum itself is exceedingly dry and repetitive- and this is by design. The student is forced to engage over and over and over and over with busywork that involves dissecting/repeating/interacting with conservative propaganda. Here are some examples:

And to end all this here is a British activist reading through a 9th grade history PACE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

This is what the future of American education looks lie under Betsy Devos :smith:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Aleph Null posted:

Thanks, Prester Jane, terrifying as always. Do you have a ACE thread to dig deeper into this? It goes way beyond breaking queer folks and into general mind control territory.
Like, I know talking about it painful since you survived it, but a full D&D thread would be informative and would help spread the word to the literally dozens of readers SA still has.

I did one a couple years back, it went gold and is archived but I don't have the link on hand and am not really sure how to look it up atm. Hopefully some helpful Goon has the link and can post it?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Edit: This thread is not about myself or my work and I apologize for this post. It was a mistake and it is gone now. Please proceed with the conversation as if I did not participate- it was not my intent to cause an unwelcome derail.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 25, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Fair enough, I'll keep my material out of this thread going forewards.

Edit: I offer my heartfelt apologies for any undue interruption of this thread I may have caused. I am not attempting to be sarcastic or troll here, I am being up front and honest. It is apparent that my participation in this instance here has brought an unwelcome derailment of this thread and for that I do genuinely apologize and will take pains to avoid repeating this particular error in the future.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 25, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Senju Kannon posted:

i personally can't bring myself to muster up much outrage over not being allowed to serve in america's military

like "oh no i can't take part in a racist imperialist machine designed to promote american corporate interests, how dare." wake me up when he finally manages to repeal the healthcare law

For many transpersons the military represents the only option to avoid homelessness and have a chance at a real life.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Senju Kannon posted:

that's more a condemnation of society than an exoneration of the military, though

While technically correct, I would point out that your argument is of little comfort to a homeless person. For better or worse the military represents one of the few paths many transpersons have out of heinously abusive families/communities. Losing that is a big deal.

An even bigger deal though will the the validation of social stigmas that will result from this. We are now officially 2nd class citizens who cannot even serve our country in the armed forces. This will both be held against us (we are now moochers who are supported by the rest of society) as well as justification for violence (trannies are now weaklings who are unfit to serve). This is a very, very big deal.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Senju Kannon posted:

for the employment thing; okay. i mean, how does that compare with the national average? are more trans people in the military than the average population? is the number active military only or does it include former military members?

and honestly i'm not sure how i feel about "military as a job creator" when we're in the middle of an eternal war. kinda feels like we're throwing poor people in a meat grinder in the name of scraps and benefits the government consistently fails to properly distribute.

also i'm not sure your second point is true. the military is actually a unique case, in that an executive order can clearly change who can or cannot be allowed to be employed. as far as other public institutions, judicial review and legislation are far more important than executive order, and the former's being tested by the current supreme court and justice department and the latter's been in the hands of republicans for years. it seems less "one step further" and more "a step a lot of people saw coming the second trump was elected and the order to allow trans people in the military was delayed six months." i don't know, this seems like not a great barometer for trans rights. i feel like the current healthcare debates might have more far reaching consequences for trans people than this.

Gay people serving in the military is frequently cited as a huge reason for the social transformation w/r/t gay rights. That path has now been squarely forbidden to transpeople and purposefully to avoid transpeople from acquiring the same social acceptance through service that gay people did.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Trump's base will interpret this as meaning that LGBT people no longer have any civil rights. In practice this interpretation will be functionally correct for a disturbingly large portion of the country.

If you are LGBT you will very shortly only have rights if you have robust local protections and non-bigoted police enforcing said protections. For everyone else its the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Aleph Null posted:

Someone started taking about a prisoner who was being mistreated because she was transgender.
It was eventually revealed that she was in prison for dressing small boys is girls clothes and molesting them and taking video.
Devolved pretty quickly after that because there were people on both sides.
On both sides. Of that.
I never looked back.

To clarify a bit here: A troon poster came in to the thread and tried to whip up some good old fashioned white-knighting of a transwoman who had committed suicide in prison. This particular transwoman had been denied the ability to transition by a blatantly bigoted prison system and this very likely played a role in her taking her life. It then came out that said transwoman had done some exceptionally hosed up sexual things to children and taped them, her own son being among her victims.

That there were actually people on both sides of that debate fueled a flurry of organized doxxing/harassing of troons by offsite trolls. I've never gone near the troon thread since then myself.

• Locked thread