Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
One of my friends came out to Obama at a townhall event in London. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX8H2IvK1BI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Catholic Church calls Italy's civil unions law "creeping fascism".

You know, as opposed to the literal fascism that the Catholic Church supported in Italy in the 1930s.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

See also:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Ditum has to find some way to get outrage clicks because shitposting in the Guardian about how Thomas the Tank Engine is fascist propaganda just doesn't work anymore. :shobon:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like transphobes may be resorting to literal domestic terrorism because trans people having a poo poo invades their precious safe space.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think she's too busy gawking at the genitalia of trans kids in newsreels.

Taking after Germaine "I wrote a book about how shirtless teenage boys make me wet" Greer, I think.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

the moose posted:

Was in a gay bar last night after visiting the Philly trans health conference and being in the dyke march. I even got to carry a sign. We got a super positive reaction along the way then I wake up to this news. Im going back to bed.

Given the proximity of PTHC to Philly Dyke March, I'm surprised you didn't get TERFs picketing it like they did to the last Dyke March that happened in London two years ago.

Then again, PTHC is mostly a smorgasbord of nightly orgies and bad panels, not a hub of trans activism. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

the moose posted:

Philly Dyke March was very trans inclusive. I was surprised, I was afraid we might be pushed to the edge but half the chants were for trans inclusion and I got to carry a MTF sign that they provided. I have yet to meet any TERFs. Of course I haven't really been looking for them either. My one friend who is a bit more active and observant of those kind of things did not see any either, so if they were there they were marginalized enough that none of us noticed them.

London Dyke March got picketed because it was trans-inclusive. The picket was literally four people who got shouted down by the rest of the march, though, so it was fine.

quote:

I did not go to any of the panels so I don't know if they were any good, none of the ones on Saturday looked interesting when I was there. Missed out on the orgies too.

There was the "intersex pretenders" panel which only happened because the woman doing it was apparently on the organising committee.

Previous crappy panels included the trans guy complaining last year that having male privilege was so hard, and also the infamous "Gender Blended at Burning Man and Beyond" panel from 2012.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

I find the implication that the Obama FDA is filled with secretly bible-thumping homophobes to be a questionable one.

Quite. After all, the USA is not Northern Ireland. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Welcome to the UK! :v:

:smithicide:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The most egregious one is the 'spousal veto', where the married partner of the person wishing to transition can veto the gender recognition certificate (and possibly some other parts of the process).

Being as the UK doesn't have no-fault divorce, this can lead to a partner being trapped in a relationship that won't allow them to transition. You could file under unreasonable behavior or separate, but that can take years. It happens in more cases than you'd imagine.

I'm not sure if that's also the case for civil unions.

Civil unions are "upgrade to a marriage or separate", as mixed-sex civil partnerships aren't legal.

There's no requirement for surgery for a British gender recognition certificate, but you do need a doctor's letter stating that the change is anticipated to be permanent.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Conservatives continue to be confused about people making GBS threads without little stick figures telling you where exactly to poo poo.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

:psyduck:

The least restrictive means of furthering nondiscrimination in the workplace is for employees to quit whining about discriminatory treatment, then there's no problem!

That'll almost certainly get flipped by the Circuit as per PwC v. Hopkins.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Unsurprisingly, the author of that study, Lawrence Mayer, is heavily cited in NC's HB2 brief.

There is a tendency of this happening, though; Cecilia Dhenje is on the record as being incredibly annoyed that her study on suicidality in trans people is being used to argue against trans rights devoid of the context of the paper.

There are also worrying cottage industries dedicated to throwing scientific inquiry out of the window to conform to their authors' prejudices. Sexology has almost entirely gone that way. There's a similar cottage industry of TERF journalists embedded in British centre-left discourse. :negative:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

If you fancy spending a few hours in the abyss, do enjoy this so-called Marxist-Leninist spending five posts blaming the Trots and Jews for gay rights and blaming the gays for the Holocaust and the death of MLK.

It's… something.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Something about nature vs. nurture that is neither here nor there, uranians gave the gay aids to Africa using antiretrovirals, poppers caused grids, the goal of elite gays is to destroy the family, the sole drive of schizophrenics is to murder people in the street, and that's just part one. :suspense:

Parts four and five make part one look relatively sane.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Does he go full Hoxha and start blaming the feminists and Frankfurt school Jews for betraying the revolution?

He does talk about reclaiming the "progressive legacy of Stalin and Hoxha".

So, uh, bunkers?

He also blames the gays for killing MLK and Everyone's Favourite Boogeyman Jew for funding BLM.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJoj9IqeKg

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

So this is an ad that a Democrat put out against a gay Republican candidate, the Log Cabin Republicans are calling it homophobic.

There are legitimate scandals involving this guy and points 1, 3, and 4 are legitimate but point 2 bothers me. I'm not comfortable with Democrats promoting the idea that single gay men using online dating services is some sort of scandalous thing, are gay politicians not allowed to have a personal life? I think there's still a lot of politicians out there who are comfortable with the existence of gays and gay marriage as long as it's discussed in the abstract but still have some pretty regressive views when actual details are put out in the open.

Well at least it isn't as stupid as the time the Tories here cried homophobia because some leaflets contained the word "straight".

(The leaflets didn't even name the Tory candidate, let alone say he was gay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

Because unless you're paying attention and thinking critically about things, you may not know or you may have been lied to about what HB2 actually does, and why it's bad.

Given how much Republicans have been :qq: muh states rights :qq: ever since the Southern Strategy, the only slightly non-animus justification for HB2 is kinda shot.

iospace posted:

[*]For ideology (Very lib, somewhat lib, mod, someone con, very con) has a weird breakdown. Very Lib has the highest support of HB2 outside of the two con groupings, the highest oppose, and the least not sures at 21/73/6, and somewhat lib is 13/62/24, moderate 17/54/29, and somewhat and very con are 46/33/21 and 69/16/16 respectively.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was the American TERF contingent self-described as "very liberal" for the purposes of polling; in the UK, most of them are in Labour, with about eight or so in the Green Party.

Despite the fact their opinions on anyone who isn't a middle-class cis woman wouldn't be out of place in the Tories.

• Locked thread