Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I'm hopeful the bathroom bill nonsense will get repealed, if not through the courts, then through pressure from business. Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT civil rights organization along with Equality NC, a similar org from North Carolina, has managed to get quite a number of big companies on board: http://equalitync.org/latest/news/businesses_against_hb2_updated_4_21/

It's poo poo that things like these have to come down to money pressure, but it seems to be a language that politicians understand. Eventually some of the non-diehard voters may start to consider if the cost in jobs is really worth the effort. As long as that piece of poo poo law gets taken off the books, I don't really care much how it is done. There are of course also lawsuits in the works, but part of the problem is that the bills also restrict what you can sue the state for. Anyway, it's not just Bruce Springsteen anymore and that can only be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

It'll get repealed, because much like many of the 'morality' laws the Right loves to pass, it has no basis in actual established law and, is in fact, contrary to established laws.

Either it gets repealed or the courts will strike it down, and frankly the politicians that passed it know it will happen. Passing these bills is just a way to appease their voting base, and then they can turn and raise a fuss when it inevitably gets struck down.

Their knives are getting awfully short. That's why all these bills and vocal hatred, they know they are losing their voting base due to age and decrease in members of those evangelical faiths.
I hope you are right, and this is all a knowing ploy by politicians. Because then they might turn the other way, when the winds change. I don't think that is true, though. I think they are diehard believers in stupid causes, that they think the populace wants, and they are prepared to die on that hill, to the detriment of us all until they get off the hill.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

A bit of good news for transgender people in my home country of Denmark. Denmark to declassify being transgender as mental disorder

Though the few that I know, while happy about the intention, are holding off breaking out the champagne until they see, what concrete changes in how they get their medical treatment it involves. Sadly, our current system is still very much stuck in the old ways of suspicion and humiliating scrutiny. Still... one small step in the right direction at least. :toot:

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Taitale posted:

Has it been reported anywhere if this is reclassifying a la the DSM 5 (where the identity itself isn't a disorder, but the distress is), classifying it elsewhere or a complete removal of any diagnosis?

From what I can gather, the danish system mirrors the WHO system, which apparently called ICD 10 . They will remove the code DF640 (transsexualism) from the list of mental illnesses. So it's the danish version of the WHO's F64.0 code that is being declassified (the danish codes mean exactly the same as WHO's, but are for whatever reason just with an added 'D' and without the point between the second and third number).

The exact definition is

quote:

A desire to live and be accepted as a member of the opposite sex, usually accompanied by a sense of discomfort with, or inappropriateness of, one's anatomic sex, and a wish to have surgery and hormonal treatment to make one's body as congruent as possible with one's preferred sex.

Part of the whole thing is to send a signal to WHO who is evaluating the same question later this year, with the little added bonus that even if the WHO decides against declassifying it, the health minister has said that Denmark will regardless.

"Removal of any diagnosis" is one of the sticking points, and part of why people are holding off until they see the concrete effect. There are concerns that getting access to health care without a diagnosis will make things harder, not easier. I *think* the idea is that the diagnosis will remain, just not be associated with something that requires entry into the psychiatric care system. But nobody really knows at this point.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 1, 2016

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Does that mean that Denmark will no longer require trans people to be castrated/sterilized in order to get a recognition of gender change?

(I think it's Denmark that does that, definitely one of the Scandinavian countries.)

We changed that law in 2014. Before that you had to go through surgery to officially change gender (as in what appears on your passport and such). Now it's just a question of filling out the paperwork, and after a 6 month waiting period it's done. You don't have to be in active treatment or anything, just attest to your desire.

quote:

i don't see how it isn't a mental disorder, most of the effects are mental, except for the people who get literally sick cause of dysphoria

"Mental disorder" is perhaps not a great term, but since the WHO list groups all diagnoses into either mental or somatic, that's the term we are stuck with. The argument for declassifying it isn't so much the "mental" part, but that it is considered a "disorder", and not just a state of being that happens to require medical and/or surgical assistance. There is stigma attached to being on a list of things, that are normally things we try to "fix" or "cure". It also sends a signal to doctors about how to approach giving these people healthcare. The arguments are similar to when homosexualism was removed from the same list.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Its a few days ago, but looks like Mattis is stalling the transgender nonsense for now, and leaving current policy in place. So there is that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mattis-transgender-troops-can-stay-until-study-complete_us_59a6aa8ee4b00795c2a2e45c

• Locked thread