Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
whoops, wrong thread. Have this instead, NC's bathroom bill is already starting to bear fruit; a cisgender woman was violently ejected from the women's bathroom by police:

http://www.cartelpress.com/north-carolina-woman-kicked-womens-bathroom-police-mistaken-transgender/

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

Thankfully this particular incident seems to be fake news originating with worldnewsdailyreport.com.

Sorry about my poor reading comprehension, everyone. I'm glad it's fake but I didn't find it very amusing.:colbert:

Still, things like this do happen: http://www.advocate.com/business/2015/06/17/Detroit-woman-kicked-out-restaurant-bathroom-looking-man-sues

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile in NC, they're suing the Justice Department: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/north-carolina-hb2-justice-department-deadline/ (beaten lol)

quote:

"This unrealistic deadline by the federal government is quite amazing," he said in his Fox News interview. "It's the federal government being a bully."...
McCrory also points to the fact that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act uses the term "sex" when it comes to gender issues, and "Congress does not define sex" as something that can be chosen.

The Justice Department, of course, doesn't agree with this interpretation.http://documents.buzzfeed.com/Title%20VII%20Memo.pdf

quote:

The most straight forward reading of Title VII is that discrimination "because of ... sex" includes discrimination because an employee's gender identification is as a member of a particular sex, or because the employee is transitioning, or has transitioned, to another sex. As the Court explained in Price Waterhouse, by using "the simple words 'because of,' ... Congress meant to obligate" a Title VII plaintiff to prove only "that the employer relied upon sex-based considerations in coming to its decision." 490 U.S. at 241-242. It followsthat, as a matter of plain meaning, Title VII' s prohibition against discrimination "because of ... sex" encompasses discrimination founded on sex-based considerations, including discrimination based on an employee's transitioning to, or identifying as, a different sex altogether.

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone explain to me what the Gender neutral bathroom signs actually mean? What's the difference between the blue signs and simply stating that a bathroom is Unisex?

There's no difference. If you're referring to the signs I'm thinking of, they're usually put up when there's a third bathroom (aside from male and female) to indicate it's for parents with very young children/disabled people/etc.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Everything feed into their persecution narrative. The entire backstory for the Liberty Council and half the Evangelicals is that they are being oppressed by NOT being allowed to oppress others.

Yeah, the only thing that wouldn't feed into their persecution narrative would be to roll over and let them run roughshod over LGBT people. So gently caress 'em. The important thing is getting bad law overturned.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Transcript for those who missed it:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-loretta-e-lynch-delivers-remarks-press-conference-announcing-complaint

quote:

Today, we are filing a federal civil rights lawsuit against the state of North Carolina, Governor Pat McCrory, the North Carolina Department of Public Safety and the University of North Carolina. We are seeking a court order declaring House Bill 2’s restroom restriction impermissibly discriminatory, as well as a statewide bar on its enforcement. While the lawsuit currently seeks declaratory relief, I want to note that we retain the option of curtailing federal funding to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety and the University of North Carolina as this case proceeds.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hmm...
https://twitter.com/sarahditum/status/733200558828445696

It's almost like this isn't about the rhetoric of suicide statistics at all! And is in fact just another way to say that transgender people aren't real, they are all just men looking for a way to abuse women!

fishmech posted:

Reminder that the first TERFs were people who got real mad when trans people dumped them.

There were feminists who didn't like trans people before that of course, but the TERF movement of people who were actively against them started with a bunch of feminists who got dumped.
What is this in reference to?

Xanderkish posted:

Nah, terfs suck because they attack trans people under the guise of being progressive, and that arguably makes them more awful than people you can know and expect to hate you like the right. It's even more insidious because they can then be co-opted by right groups to further their own bigotry.

Yeah, it's very frustrating because I'll be reading an article or a twitter feed about some other topic and thinking, "Oh hey that's a good point," and then I'll click on the next thing and it's some of the most hateful and disgusting transphobia out there. I've heard that people are more angry at ideological divergences among people who are more closely aligned with them than with people who are completely opposed, so that makes sense.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Janice Raymond was an activist for transgender rights before her partner transitioned (ftm) and left her because he didn't feel like he could be in a lesbian relationship anymore, at which point she immediately flipped and wrote The Transsexual Empire and started lobbying against things like medicare/medicaid covering anything to do with transpeople. Several other feminists of that time period had similar things happened and joined up with Janice Raymond.

I was aware of Raymond and her "activism" but not that detail.

Yardbomb posted:

Jesus christ what a loving shitbag.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Octatonic posted:

Regardless though, this kind of ideology sees gender identity as inherently a poisonous thing, particularly for people assigned female at birth, and rather than breaking down the system, to them, gender transition upholds it. IMO it's the great irony of a lot of feminist praxis, including modern trans inclusive/driven ones that we end up constantly recreating the gender binary in our quests to free ourselves from it, exchanging social position for hormonal status or, birth assignment, or some related intangible. IMO it's a mistake to center your analysis around birth sex assignment or internal gender identity when they're effectively invisible things, but that's another can of worms.

It's a reddit comment but it pretty much sums it up:

"act stereotypically feminine: ''you're supporting the binary'

break stereotypes: 'you're not really a woman'"

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
11 States are suing the Obama Administration after the administration pointed out the interpretation of Title IX they'd been using for a while now. Agencies named in the suit include the Department of Justice, the Department of Education, the Department of Labor, etc., as well as Loretta Lynch and other officials.

Read it here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/lawsuit-challenging-obamas-guidance-on-transgender-facilities-in-schools/2040/

Of course it's massively stupid, a waste of resources, a fight to discriminate against transgender people, etc. But maybe there's a chance to get this settled in court similar to earlier victories with gay marriage?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

This leads be to a question I've been wondering about for a while but wasn't sure where to ask/if it would be offensive. If it is, just tell me and I'll retract it, but, for those here who ate trans and are comfortable talking about it:

If there was a safe, reliable chemical (meaning brain chemistry) treatment for gender dysphagia that would make you comfortable with the physical sex you were born with, would that be something you'd entertain using? Or is the condition one that you can only see being solved through physical reassignment?

Different people may give you different answers, but for me, my mind isn't the problem, my anatomy is. This is kind of a dumb example but you can think of it as treating someone with a missing limb by asking them if they would want to be given a drug that would make them totally not care about missing a limb.

OwlFancier posted:

You could similarly phrase the question as "what if gay conversion therapy worked" and get a similar answer.

Also this. The difference is that gay acceptance is still ahead of transgender acceptance; if you were asking this question in the 60s it would seem more sensible and you would get different responses from gay people than if you were asking it today. Also given what we know it's just as much of a fantasy as functioning conversion therapy.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

I can own that, but to clarify; the reason I asked is that people say that gender dysphoria is a mental disorder a lot, and I can see the reasons for that, but it never really felt right to me as a classification. The responses I've gotten so far confirm that; if it really is just a disorder, then like depression you'd expect to be able to alleviate it somewhat by treating an underlying cause. That people reject the idea of "antidysphoria" drugs implies to me that calling it a mental disorder is too shallow a reading of the problem, and that it probably gives people the wrong idea about trans issues as a whole.

Don't take this the wrong way but what exactly are you trying to say? It seems like your question was just a lead-in to some theory or point you have so, what is it? Also, are you familiar with the revisions to the DSM V? The work group for the revision of "Gender Identity Disorder" into "Gender Dysphoria" concluded: "There was consensus that a transgender identity is not pathology. Gender variant individuals are not inherently disordered; rather, the distress of gender dysphoria is the psychological problem." The APA statement on gender dysphoria is revealing:

quote:

Persons experiencing gender dysphoria need a diagnostic term that protects their access to care and won’t be used against them in social, occupational, or legal areas. When it comes to access to care, many of the treatment options for this condition include counsel-ing, cross-sex hormones, gender reassignment surgery, and social and legal transition to the desired gender. To get insurance coverage for the medical treatments, individuals need a diagnosis. The Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Work Group was concerned that removing the condition as a psychiatric diagnosis—as some had suggested—would jeopardize access to care. Part of removing stigma is about choosing the right words. Replacing “disorder” with “dysphoria” in the diagnostic label is not only more appropriate and consistent with familiar clinical sexology terminology, it also removes the connotation that the patient is “disordered.” Ultimately, the changes regarding gender dysphoria in DSM-5 respect the individuals identified by offering a diagnostic name that is more appropriate to the symptoms and behaviors they experience without jeopardizing their access to effective treatment options.

http://www.dsm5.org/documents/gender%20dysphoria%20fact%20sheet.pdf

Also Octatonic you are right on.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

Sorry, I was really just trying to get a better grasp on the issue beyond "some people are intentionally assholes to people who don't deserve it," and wound up unintentionally being one of those assholes.

I didn't think you were trying to be an rear end in a top hat, it's just that the question you led with is often a roundabout way of getting into "why don't we 'fix' transgender people so they don't exist any more," with a side of "well science will stop transgender people from existing any day now so let's not get in a hurry to afford them rights or dignity." Now I don't think you were doing that at all, it's just that well, that's often the implication so you can see how it's going to raise some eyebrows.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mass shooting at Orlando gay club Pulse, possible hostage situation feared. Ongoing situation so reports are sketchy.

According to their facebook it was Latin Night. I just hope everyone gets out ok without further loss of life.

https://www.facebook.com/pulseorlando/?ref=br_rs

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Too late, we're already getting some incredibly bad op-eds! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/opinion/the-scope-of-the-orlando-carnage.html

Jesus Christ.

Welp, I was assuming the violent homophobia of this attack would get elided.

I think that in the next few days and weeks it's important that we don't let the media whitewash this event into some random tragedy. The hatred this piece of poo poo felt for gay people is clear, and we can't let his religion absolve us of the responsibility of examining and fighting against the hatred of lgbt people that lots of people in our society have, whether they're Muslim, Christian, Atheist, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kylra posted:

Like, that has to be directed at reassuring the religious right that is still ok to hate gay people because it's still protestants that are truly persecuted, right?

Oh I think it absolutely is; they're trying to minimize the cognitive dissonance of having to act like they care about the victims while Republican candidates were happy to get on stage with that "kill the gays" pastor. As well as like you said they'll do anything to shift the conversation from homophobia (where all but the most stupid know they're losing) to islamophobia.

• Locked thread