Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

(Image credit: Ronnie Newsome [grad school has ruined my ability to just steal things I think])

You're suddenly ripped from your sleep with the terrible urge to breathe!
You choke and feel suffocated. The air feels like a burning cloud in your throat and lungs. Your mind feels dizzy. Your eyes begin to burn.
Sulfurous clouds of chlorine-like gas has filled your home.
You fall from your bed to the floor and squirm about, suffering, before propping yourself against a wall and, after a brief moment, struggle to stand above the poisonous cloud billowing on your floor, your legs buckling beneath you.

In time, the cloud settles a bit.
From your window, you see outside your home, the forests and town have not fared much better.
Green clouds roll across the ground like a thick fog. Despite the morning sun, it's hard to see very far into the distance.
You eventually open your door. A new wave of poisonous gas greets you, and you begin to cough.
Your cottage is a bit far from town, maybe that's why you survived, but you cover your face and begin to head to the town center. You need to know what's happened.
Bodies line the streets. Something truly terrible has befallen your small town.
As you grow close to the gallows, around which the town is seemingly built, in the murky distance, you see 15 shadowy figures begin to emerge.
It's hard to recognize them, their hands holding cloth over their mouths and faces to prevent the gas from entering their bodies. Did they all always belong to this town?
Somehow the 16 of you survived the first night, but how many more nights will you?

(Image credit: The watermark I guess I forgot to remove)

Welcome!

This is a 16-person game of Mafia.

It will be a semi-open game and neither role- nor flavor-heavy. The roles that are potentially within the game will be revealed on Day 1. This game will focus heavily on the Poisoner role.
In my implementation, Poisoners work like this:
  • Trackers and tracking roles will able to follow Poisoners when they visit targets at Night.
  • Doctors can block poison on the first Night of poison or cure it on the second, Doctors cannot cure themselves, and Poisoned are aware they have been poisoned.
  • Poisoners also function as traditional scum - that is, as long as any of the scum team is alive, the team can select one member to go out and carry out its normal nightly kill and each Poisoner not selected to carry out that kill can then elect to additionally each poison someone.

Days will be 48 hours; Nights will be 24 hours.

Remember: Regular SA Forum Mafia rules apply. Violations will be subject to immediate modkill. If you have any questions for me as a mod, please PM me rather than asking in thread as I will not respond publicly except to clarify unintentional ambiguities or explicit mod errors such as incorrect flips or incorrect resolution of night actions.

Another rule: Lurkers will get modkilled. If you don't think you'll actually be participating, then maybe it's best not to try to join in.

If I find your posting boring, I may decide the noxious gases begin to affect your body and give you a posting restriction for the day.

And the last and most important rule: Have fun!

I highly encourage being in character and roleplaying a bit. Doing so will earn you points which can be redeemed for gratitude from me and your fellow players! The best gift of all!

Mod:
0) Shadow0

Sign-ups:
1) Birdstrike
2) Propaganda Machine
3) gannyGrabber
4) Mayor Glowku
5) Azuth0667
6) TheDonPeters
7) Kashuno
8) chaoslord
9) Luminous Cow
10) flerp
11) Anomalous Amalgam
12) Rurea
13) bunnyofdoom
14) Tendai
15) Moatillata
16) GRILLARY CLINTON

:siren: If you'd like to be part of the spectator doc, please click here to request access! :siren:

Game ended with a Town Victory!
:siren: The Novelization!
Observer Doc
Scum Doc

Thanks, everyone, for playing!

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Votefinder:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Birdstrike posted:

kept you waitign huh?

I feel like we have somehow begun our first communication together in the middle of a conversation, and I love it. :D
(Or did am I forgetting something?)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hello, I am Little Boss. Nice to meat you. ;)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

This is not a signup post, but you should actually post a link to the game in the discussion thread too. :) Good luck!

Why both? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the announcement thread? :P

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

Ach..ugh..uhhhhhhh

te..llllll...my mom...it was...not...hurr..falll.......

Did you die on Night 0?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just added a rule I hope I get to use.
I might just use it anyway. :clint:
Hopefully I'm finally satisfied playing with the OP.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

The first step to making this thread great is declaring war on ADTRW.

It's probably dangerous to say this here, but 99% of my time and posts are in ADTRW. In all my time in this forum, I only branched out to GBS and now here in like the last few months. :kamina:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know the Games's subforum had its own subforum.
It's the turtles all the way down.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I already know how to work a cnc-rotor.

So you're a refugee from the anime menace?

No.
I am its Vanguard!
:black101:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mayor Glowku posted:

420 anime make mafia great again

Alright, by popular demand, I will make my next game anime themed.
Maybe I'll disguise it initially so that Azuth0667 joins and then pull the big reveal.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Day 0 Begins

gannyGabber is Poisoned!
Azuth0667 is Poisoned!
Luminous Cow is Poisoned!
Birdstrike is Poisoned!
Mayor Glowku is Poisoned!

The only cure is One Piece. :zoro:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gannyGrabber posted:

I'm gonna defend anime by picking one of the worst cookie cutter poo poo bag animu examples and throwing that at him!! yeah!!!

At least pick a good one like Heat Guy J or Cromartie to deflect our hatred

I've actually never heard of Heat Guy J before.
Kind of suspicious for an anime-hater to know more about anime than an ADTRWer...
Cromartie is really good though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Part of me still wishes I had been creative enough to have come up with a better title for this thread.
I guess it tells you everything you need to know though.

Hopefully another Mafia match ends somewhere soon so we can get a few more players in here and get to murdering each other while I watch. :munch:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheDonPeters posted:

Seems to be a lot of death in the darksouls one, surprise surprise, you may get some run off form that.

I am indifrent to anime I have never watched any and intend to keep myself pure.

Saving yourself for marriage?

Most anime is pretty terrible though to be honest. And not just because 95% of anything is terrible. Japan has a bizarre idea how the world works. Also everything is getting ruined by the fact that no one pays for anything anymore so it's better for studios to make something that'll push products than to make something of quality.

I wouldn't expect everyone to like even the best of anime anyway, people's tastes are like that. Also, I'm finding more and more that trying to introduce people to something you like is just a quick way to get disappointed. Hell, people didn't even like The Holy Grail when I tried showing it to them last week. :'(

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheDonPeters posted:

Somthing like that, maybe one day when I find that special anime I can settle down and by those weird human sized pillow things of all the characters.

And yeah people react funny to monty python, I have know people that loved life of brain but just could not get holy grail.

Just warning for everyone when the game starts don't drink the yellow water...

Funny, I loved Holy Grail but didn't like Life of Brian. I love the actual show though. So many good skits.

Probably just shouldn't drink any liquids while the scum are afoot, to be honest.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 24, 2016

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Try homebrewing people will put up with almost anything I try to introduce them to as along as "yeah this batch of ale is coming out today come try some" is included.

I don't drink.
Unfortunately, most of the people here where I live are easily the most boring people I have ever met in my life. Actively resisting any kind of fun or new experience or new foods.
I'm just trying to get everything done quickly so I can return to the good ol' U S of A and finally make use of stores on Sundays again and also resume enjoying life.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I'm also surprised how long it's taking people to sign up for this. I guess there's a lot of other games going on now?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Birdstrike posted:

i'm poidoned from drinkign shad1w's unreftigerated milk

The mod was the real scum all along.

gannyGrabber posted:

I'd be OK if you dropped the player count for a smaller game but that'll prolly mess up the setup

It's not critical I have all 16, but those numbers are mostly going to come out of the town's roster, and then we'll probably have a very short game on our hands. Maybe I'll PM some of the dead GBSers in the GBS game?
I had definitely wanted to do a smaller game, but several people said I ought to bolster the town's numbers so here we are.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Just one more and then you can get to killing and yelling at each other! :siren:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Excellent! I'll be home in a few hours and I'll dish out some PMs and then we can get to drinking some suspicious-tasting tea!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You need to get PMs power or give me some other way to contact you.

Everyone else's roles are out!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
pre:
   Dawn of 
 The First Day
-72 Hours Remain-

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No wait...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Countless have died Night 0. It will take some time to gather up the bodies and bury them. Your small pioneer hamlet has been devestated. What seems to be what all of what remains of the town has assembled in the town square. The gallows stand in the corner of everyone's eyes, and at the front of everyone's minds. Someone did this to the town. And they are almost certainly among the people standing before you (or maybe it is you). You go to speak and find it eases some of the pain from the gas. In fact, it seems to you that if you didn't speak enough each day, the gas might overtake you. Somehow what little you can make out of everyone's heavily covered faces is unfamiliar. Certainly the gas has clouded your mind and stings your eyes, but were all these people here before? This town is rather small, but you're pretty sure there was a doctor. Was there a cop? You don't remember, you never really needed to before. And did they even survive last night? How many culprits were there? It's hard to know for sure. The only thing you do know is someone must hang for this.

Day 1 begins now. 72 hours remain.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 5, 2016

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

you talk like the boss but the boss would never betray me!!!!!!

Also according to votefinder you just lynched me

Sorry, I forgot to set it up *ahead* of time. Should be good now. You're not dead. :) (Yet) :)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

you talk like the boss but the boss would never betray me!!!!!!

Also according to votefinder you just lynched me

That's hammer! :redhammer:

Kashuno, Shitposting-Aligned Traditional Games Poster, has been hanged on Day 1.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ya'll be glad I didn't give any of you "loves anime even though it doesn't exist yet in this world" as your flavor or PR. I had it all typed out and everything, but decided to be nice to you all. ;)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i don't even know my role yet so i don't know if i i should be spinning elaborate webs of poison lies or not

I'll be home in like 30 minutes and your sudden amnesia will be cured and you'll be able to properly claim town regardless of what PM I send you.

Or you could get lynched in that time and find out that way I guess.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

Cool thanks I wasn't tryna rush you or nothin.

No, but I was rushing me. Home is much better than class. I'm not even in that class...

All roles are finally out so you can now terminate each other with extreme prejudice!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just want to remind everyone that you will get modkilled for lurking, so if you have something coming up on the weekend or anything and won't be around, post that in the thread (preferably in character if you can).

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3773333

bunnyofdoom, Propaganda Machine, and chaoslord begin coughing and gasping for air.
It seems poison has begun to build up in their lungs.
If they don't expel it by posting talking more today, they might soon pass out - or worse...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, so much for the edits I made to that. I'll try again next time we need an update.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:redhammer:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Several of the town grab gannyGrabber and drag him up onto the scaffolding and place the noose around his neck. They back down to gather around and witness gabbyGrabber's last moments, but Kashuno goes to stand by the lever, bloodlust in his eyes, his hand posed to pull the switch. A huge smirk erupts on gannyGrabber's face.

gannyGrabber posted:

I'll see you in hell!!!

gannyGrabber quickly pulls out a small flintlock pistol from his pocket.

He fires!!!

A defeaning sound and a massive flame bursts through the flammable chlorinated air.

Kashuno topples over onto the lever, pulling it with his dead weight. The floor drops and gannyGrabber falls with it. A sickening *snap* is heard as the rope severs his neck. A wide grin stretches across his face, quite visible even through the thick, green fog.

The scaffolding beneath Kashuno begins to steam and smoke. Green, foul liquid burns through the wooden execution platform and starts to drip onto the ground, letting out a sharp hiss. Shards of glass from a broken vial, kept close to his heart, lay strew about Kashuno's limp body, leaking out a poisonous, acidic liquid.

gannyGrabber, Town-Aligned Hunter, was lynched Day 1.
Kashuno, Scum-Aligned Poisoner, was shot by gannyGrabber Day 1.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 3, 2016

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The sun has begun to set, casting a strange light on the town through the poison. "gannyGrabber had more insight than all of us combined, and now he's gone", seemed to be the thought on everyone's mind. At least they could find solace in that one of the criminals had been brought to justice, even if it weren't by their own doing. "1-for-1, that's good, right? Right?" But such thoughts couldn't fill the void, the feeling of loss of one of their own.

Many simply returned home, their heads hung low. Others made their way to the tavern. Hardly a word was spoken, if any at all. Even those at the tavern don't stay long. Soon the town square was empty, everyone returned to their homes, to their beds. But sleep won't come easy. And for some, it might be their last.

Night 1 begins now. PM me your Night actions. 36 hours remain.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 5, 2016

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Morning. The sun's light struggles to pierce the thick fog. The town has already mostly assembled. Some are beginning to look incredibly sickly. And a few even worse than the rest. But after some time, it becomes clear one person is missing. Moatillata is mysteriously absent. The town decides it's best to check out his home together.

Ashes. Just ashes. His entire home gone. Burnt to the ground. Moatillata's corpse can be found among the charcoal. It's entirely unrecognizable. Blackened and charred entirely. Whoever he was and whatever occupation he had had will now likely forever be a mystery.

Moatillata, ????-Aligned ????, was killed and janitored Night 1.

Day 2 begins now. 48 hours remain.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 5, 2016

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally, I can sleep now...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Moatillata posted:

:ghost:*crosses over into the light taking back everything he said....*:ghost:

It's my fault for not being more clear in his PM, I'm really sorry about the confusion. Someone other than me visited him last Night like in normal play. Carry on as if you hadn't heard his disembodied voice.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aww, all my editings finally got noticed. I'm never happy with messages until I've edited them like 20 times. Good thing I'm the mod. B-)

• Locked thread