Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dark Souls games are challenging, which is often but not necessarily the same thing as difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Hey CJacobs have you thought about u having a co-commentator? I really enjoyed the pace and how you played. Looking at all the poo poo. But another low key person would be dope in your vids would be dope. Gonna watch regardless great vids again.

Fake edit: I'm not trying suggest myself surreptitiously

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hmm, that's a thought. Who's that fellow with the guinea pig? We need introduce the internet to the worlds first guinea pig LPer. :3: wheek wheek

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did think about doing this one with a co-commentator- initially Faerie Fortune and I were going to do Bloodborne together and we still are, but I asked her if she wanted to do DS3 and she said she wasn't as interested in this game as that one. As disappointing as it may sound I think I'm gonna fly solo for this one, that way I can record at my own pace and stuff. I might have people on for the inevitable stream stuff I do though!

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Cool beans! hope I wasn't annoying sticking my finger in your LPie :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's some dumb hacking poo poo going on in DS3 at the moment regarding Cheat Engine so I feel like that's cause enough for an update.

Today we head to the High Wall of Lothric to defeat some incredibly dangerous baby hollows and wander around looking for progression. Also, dragons.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I like this LP, it gets me pumped to go back and play more Dark Souls 3.

Why did you skip the chest in the room with the estus shard?

vvv Yes, I was talking about the OTHER chest.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 30, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't even see it, even though I looked right at it at one point :downs:

But as far as I remember it just has some black firebombs in it.

edit: Unless you're talking about the OTHER chest in that room, the one that has the Astora Straight Sword in it. That one I meant to go back for later, but spoilers I forgot and I never did. I am a good lets player

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hello Broadsword and Silver Eagle Shield... I have used both of you for my ENTIRE playthrough.

But holy poo poo you're just making chumps out of everyone. I had so much trouble as a sorcerer. :(

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Spudd posted:

Hello Broadsword and Silver Eagle Shield... I have used both of you for my ENTIRE playthrough.

Straight swords are very, very good this time around and the various pro esports speedrun routes all use them exclusively. One of the routes even uses a Raw Astora's Straight Sword for the entire game; it's one of the very best weapons you can get and it's available 10 minutes in. Apparently you should also avoid two-handing straight swords if you want to do maximum damage, which feels wildly unintuitive after the previous Dark Souls.

Poise supposedly increases the portion of the attack animation for which you are stagger immune when wielding heavier weapons? I mostly run around with a Heavy Great Axe, because I'm dumb and I like big axes. I definitely notice that I have stagger immunity frames but I have no idea how significant the poise effect is.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I thought everyone was bitching that Poise wasn't even working.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Armour is for chumps, there is only PASSION... for fashion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunethex posted:

I thought everyone was bitching that Poise wasn't even working.

Poise is in the game as it was in Dark Souls 1 and 2, but the code for it is dummied out so it doesn't work. However, someone managed to make it work as it used to by, allegedly, just doing a simple code toggle with cheat engine. A lot of people are assuming that it's a bug because there are items and weapon skills that increase your poise, but personally I think it might have been disabled on purpose at near the last minute. They might re-enable it or they might not, nobody knows because From hasn't said anything about it in either direction, which I doubt they will.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 1, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Poise is in the game as it was in Dark Souls 1 and 2, but the code for it is dummied out so it doesn't work. A lot of people are assuming that it's a bug because there are items and weapon skills that increase your poise, but personally I think it might have been disabled on purpose at near the last minute. They might re-enable it or they might not, nobody knows because From hasn't said anything about it in either direction, which I doubt they will.

Weird.

Was poise (or something similar) in Bloodborne?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think bloodborne just had some poise when you used heavier weapons. No proper poise from armor though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This game is gorgeous. Look how hosed up this wall castle place is?! Paving checked anywhere, the sky is muted piss, and the trees are made of people. Just so pretty.
That's a weird rear end looking dragon taking a nap on the wall. I like the chairs littered around them so you can sit down and take a gander at dragon butt. The audio is pretty nice for the dragon too. Very grumbly and deep, and not much annoying screeching like other monsters such as Necromorphs from Dead Space, or Toad from super smash bros.

Oh god please apply Gold Pine Resin so you can have a Fist of the North Star. Is that a thing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cathode Raymond posted:

Weird.

Was poise (or something similar) in Bloodborne?

No, poise in general isn't a mechanic in Bloodborne. When you do charge attacks or just attacks in general you get hyper armor, and the heavier weapons get slightly more, but there's nothing related to armor.

I think (if it was on purpose) the idea behind not having poise in DS3 was that they wanted you to focus on dodging, which is why the regular roll goes all the way up to 70% before the fat roll. If that is the case I think your character moves a bit too slow compared to enemies for that though imo. It's pretty obvious they were shooting for a combination of Souls and Bloodborne gameplay speed, but it's not quite there. Right now the enemies move at Bloodborne speed and your guy moves pretty much at Souls speed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have the same engine don't they? If so then it's entirely possible that like the stamina stuff in early Bloodborne where they forgot to remove weight. Maybe they forgot to turn poise back on, because it's incredibly suspicious that there's a lot of stuff that supposedly increases poise, and there's a later unique fight that actually uses one of those and becomes harder to stagger. I only just fought him too and it's really obvious that he's boosting his own poise.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

CJacobs posted:

No, poise in general isn't a mechanic in Bloodborne. When you do charge attacks or just attacks in general you get hyper armor, and the heavier weapons get slightly more, but there's nothing related to armor.

That sort of hyper armor is still in Dark Souls 3, you can power through some hits with the end of your heavier attacks. My Great Axe character would die even more if not (she still dies a lot, poor girl).

The DS3 wiki claims the length of that hyper armor is determined by poise, which I hadn't heard before but took at face value.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I have read that poise is about being able to dodge out of stun now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Wedemeyer posted:

This game is gorgeous. Look how hosed up this wall castle place is?! Paving checked anywhere, the sky is muted piss, and the trees are made of people. Just so pretty.

Its an incredibly effective way of getting across the idea that the world is dying while keeping it understated. The world isn't ending in fire and explosions and a big epic apocalypse. Its just ending.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Poise was only minimally in Bloodborne, yeah; instead of a stat you could track, it's something you felt out by taking attacks and dealing them. In general, small weapons stagger small enemies and might stagger larger enemies if you hit them enough, and larger weapons stagger larger enemies (unless they're much, much larger). An enemy that's your size, you might be able to take a hit without interrupting your attack, but larger enemies will definitely interrupt you. It's actually kinda nice in its simplicity in Bloodborne!

Ludwig's Holy Blade and the Kirkhammer have identical Straight-Sword forms that do well with enemies that are about your size or smaller with staggering. For bigger enemies, you'll have to sheathe them and use their Greatsword and Greathammer forms respectively to add more heft to your swings and stagger bigger stuff.

Ludwig's Holy Blade was a good weapon in general in Bloodborne, by the way.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
This is a good LP of a good game. The winged knights and their armor set grew on me with my last playthrough, but probably mostly because it makes your character look super fat.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

This is a good LP of a good game. The winged knights and their armor set grew on me with my last playthrough, but probably mostly because it makes your character look super fat.

I love their goofy grin! :mmmhmm:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Note: message ratings are actually useful this time around and you should definitely place down a couple when the inspiration strikes.

Sadly you can only ever have 10 messages in the world so keep that in mind.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I appreciate how you laugh after you finish a sentence about particularly horrible stuff, or sometimes just to underline your appreciation of the game. It really sounds like the Dark Souls NPCs' habits have rubbed off on you. :allears:

No sarcasm here, this is a good LP.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Gee I don't know much about this game, are these monsters some sort of medieval necromorphs?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The ones that mutate like the first boss or just in general?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The mutating enemies are kind of new to the series as far as I know. (never made it all the way through DS2). Some kind of black shadow erupting out of them into a giant beast makes me think something's very, very wrong with the world and something about the Abyss or the Flame dying for reals this time is responsible. Maybe some people's humanity is going out of control; remember, Humanity is the titular Dark Souls, after all.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
My money's on Turok crossover. Lothric is just lousy with Tyrannosaurus ghosts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And we're back, sorry about that.

Today we free some friends, fight some foes, and summon help instead of fighting tough enemies by ourselves because I don't want to embarrass myself in the third episode.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you need to wait until at least the 5th episode to start embarrassing yourself.

Refined weapons do less base damage but have increased STR and DEX scaling. Basically, you can turn a Longsword into Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Regarding Poise, there are conflicting reports all over the place right now. The gist is this: It doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect in-game, there's a flag in the game's code which makes it behave like poise in DS2 except said flag is switched off, and From says the stat is "working as intended" but it's "situational." We may never know for sure.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 16, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, I broke down and uh, appropriated the game because gently caress dodging spoilers for three years. On the plus side, I can watch the LP now!

I was stuck on this boss for a day; after DS2 it really seems they've gone back to the balls-hard roots of the series.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You taintseeked Vordt again. It wasn't even a slow, deliberate crotch shot like from the stream, this one happened as you were both simultaneously moving around, as if your blade just magnetically homed in on his grundle. :psyduck:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Small caveat on how defense works:
An empty armor slot can make you take a lot more damage.
The defence number is useless, what matters is absorption, and to expand on that physical absorption is useless, strike/pierce/slash absorption are the ones that are used.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 16, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

jolly co-operation is what separates us from the animals.

Except I guess smart birds.

And apes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Skippy Granola posted:

jolly co-operation is what separates us from the animals.

Except I guess smart birds.

And apes.

What about eusocial insects? Or Siphonophorae?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There's a new theory about poise that suggests it's very different than what anyone was looking at.

Taking damage from anything reduces how many i-frames you get while rolling around, and those i-frames recover over time. Poise affects how many i-frames you lose and quickly you get them back.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
If you're playing the home game and haven't yet, I strongly suggest playing a magic character. It's pretty well balanced for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

White Coke posted:

What about eusocial insects? Or Siphonophorae?

YOU'RE a eusocial insect. :redass:

I didn't want to buy Dark Souls 3 on account of I hated 2 but this is kind of selling me. Not one Big Guy With Sword boss yet

• Locked thread