Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Skippy Granola posted:

YOU'RE a eusocial insect. :redass:

I didn't want to buy Dark Souls 3 on account of I hated 2 but this is kind of selling me. Not one Big Guy With Sword boss yet

DS2 is a super shame because it's the encounter design that it mainly fails on and not the game elements that underly them.

This game has yet to get really interesting as well, I mean Iudex Gundyr is a joke if you're familiar with the series at all and Boreal Valley Vordt is the beast boss they rejected from Bloodborne for being too easy. Not saying they're not fun, of course, because they are and this game is definitely way better than 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Liking the lp so far.

I love this game, but drat if I can't parry. 100+ hours and well into NG++ and I still fail the majority of the time I try.

Tank build ftw. Fat rolls all day.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DS2 is actually better than 3, especially when it comes to PVP.

It turns out that the B in B-Team stood for Best all along!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 is actually better than 3, especially when it comes to PVP.

It turns out that the B in B-Team stood for Best all along!

Heretical opinion: they're all good and debating their relative merits to each other is pointless when every game in the franchise stands head and shoulders above so many other action-rpgs.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
So long as as we all agree that Bloodborne has the worst PvP of the bunch (can only invade folks who already successfully summoned an ally, and invaders get all their healing at their disposal so even 1v1 fights can turn into slogs), then I'm cool.

I goddamn love Bloodborne but invading and being invaded in that game was anti-fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne's PVP is very strange. It's definitely a war of attrition unless one person manages to stun lock the other, but it's pretty mentally exhausting because of that and so I can understand why they wouldn't want to make it as easily accessible for either party as Dark Souls. I think they might have over-corrected, though.

Speaking of, since this was recorded on launch week and I was playing online, I did get invaded several times! So you'll get to see a couple fun duels with other living people in this playthrough.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm sure those trees shaped like skeletal humans, reaching up towards the castle in agonous desperation, totally don't mean aything.

"Allow me to speak frankly: took you loving long enough, Unkindled One. Now go feed and play with the puppy dog."

Aww I'm disappointed you corrected yourself and said 'most human shaped ones can climb ladders'. I wanted to see a puppy dog climbing up a ladder after you. 'I want to play fetch with your skull, hoo-man!!'

I really love the big ol' vistas. And for one we have actual trees and not people made of trees!

Fish Noise posted:

You taintseeked Vordt again. It wasn't even a slow, deliberate crotch shot like from the stream, this one happened as you were both simultaneously moving around, as if your blade just magnetically homed in on his grundle. :psyduck:

And it was beautiful :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It turns out that I was an alt account for The Taint Reaper all alonggggg

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Taint reaped again!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The tree-people are a really disturbing visual and I love it. Reminds me of all the hosed-up statues and things in Bloodborne.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

If you aren't in Vordt's taint stabbing away you're doing the fight 100% wrong.

Like that's not even a joke he's got reach for days and is shockingly fast at closing distance until you're under his dumb rear end then he's not really sure what to do about you other than get stabbed in the dick and die.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
There's doing it on principle, there's doing it because it's good tactics, and then there's doing it like grundleCeekerJacobs. His sword is a steel homing pigeon coming home to roost in someone's butt. If you put him on a wheeled dolly he'd be slowly drawn, right arm first, towards the nearest enemy anus.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

There's doing it on principle, there's doing it because it's good tactics, and then there's doing it like grundleCeekerJacobs. His sword is a steel homing pigeon coming home to roost in someone's butt. If you put him on a wheeled dolly he'd be slowly drawn, right arm first, towards the nearest enemy anus.

"Stab it in the rear end" is a tactic that rarely does one wrong in these games so it's a good go-to if you're not sure what a boss does.

I'd imagine Vordt is a lot harder for people who never played Bloodborne, because he's exactly the sort of boss BB taught you how to kill over and over again.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 3 has a lot of enemies that are best dealt with using Bloodborne tactics rather than Dark Souls tactics, really. They seem to have reached a fairly good balance of enemies that are best approached with caution, versus enemies against which you're really better off just going balls-out and don't you dare stop attacking until it's dead.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

This is my favorite post.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just wait till I fight this game's hidden bonus boss, Iudex Grundle. I will feel right at home. :shepface:

KieranWalker posted:

Dark Souls 3 has a lot of enemies that are best dealt with using Bloodborne tactics rather than Dark Souls tactics, really. They seem to have reached a fairly good balance of enemies that are best approached with caution, versus enemies against which you're really better off just going balls-out and don't you dare stop attacking until it's dead.

This is true, the only problem really is that it's hard to tell which is which at a distance. Sometimes you'll close in on an enemy and start getting relentlessly owned and then it's like "oh I should probably have been aggressive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's probably better for my sanity that I don't have 4 LPs going on at once. I'd like to, but I just can't keep up. I'll pick this one back up after I have cleared my schedule and my head a bit, sorry.

• Locked thread