Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
how big is this room exactly?

because from OP's post it seems to be

...about the size of a closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
OP do you have any addictions or vices? other than working from home as a retard masturbator

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

#1 is only acceptable if you have a stupid cat. Other wise #2 always

King Solomon could not have adjudicated so wisely. Actually... dude probably did have tigers

So....

You and King Solomon are intelligent mafackers

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
OP if you were smart then you'd be shackled with the knowledge of how hosed everything is and you'd be a boozy mess. That you have a stable happy life tells me you're average at best and quite possibly a little dumbass.

The smartest people I know are esoteric depressed alcoholics with impressive self destruction capabilities.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

LegoPirateNinja posted:

my three year old did it like #1 and i havent spoken to her since except to tell her what a disappointment she is

That's some tough, but righteous, schoolin' right there, Dadbrah

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

OP You did it! You successfully trolled GBS! :smug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

The smartest people I know are esoteric depressed alcoholics with impressive self destruction capabilities.

Put away the shotgun, Hemingway.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SurfaceDetail posted:

Hi all,

When I was ten, I went to see a child psychologist to get my IQ measured. Took a few hours and I was 136. This puts me in the top few percentiles. So whenever I walk into a room or forum I'm usually the smartest person there. I am not in Mensa lol to get that out of the way.

I have 3 bachelors degrees (took 3.5 years to get) in Microbiology, Clinical Lab science, and History. I got the history one almost by accident it was so easy to get. I have a masters in Clinical Toxicology. I have a high paying job, a beautiful gf, and a good family. I'm a bit nerdy but otherwise fine.

I think my main intelligence is not so much book smart stuff but being able to just waltz into any new situation and pick it up extremely quickly. I see to the heart of problems right away.

My problem is I don't know how to deal with being a near genius.

So GBS, How do some of you deal with just being plain smarter than most everyone you meet?

thinking that memorization of facts makes you "intelligent" immediately confirms that you are a complete loving moron

hope that helps

suck my balls retard

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Pick posted:

Put away the shotgun, Hemingway.

The smart people I've met are also too vain to commit suicide

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JiveHonky posted:

OP You did it! You successfully trolled GBS! :smug:

Yah its remarkable how many posters felt compelled to come in and inform the OP that he was not that smart

Obviously a 99th percentile poster

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I started with the phone book. Looking up "mensa" was not going to be easy, what with having to follow the strict alphabetizing rules that are so common nowadays. I prefer a softer, more fuzzy alphabetizing scheme, one that allows the mind to float free and "happen" upon the word. There is pride in that. The dictionary is a perfect example of over-alphabetization, with its harsh rules and every little words neatly in place. It almost makes me never want to eat again.

Joining Mensa means that you are a genius, and enables you to meet other members who will undrestand what the hell you are talking about when you say, for example, "That lamppost is tawdry." That's the kind of person they're after. Joining Mensa instills in one a courtly benevolence toward nonmembers, who would pretend to know what you know, think what you think, and stultify what you perambulate.

I worried about the arbitrary 132 cut-off point, until I met someone with an I.Q. of 131 and, honestly, he was a bit slow on the uptake.

I gave up on the phone book, which led me astray time and again with its complex passages, and then tried blind calling with no success. Next, 1-800-MENSA, which weirdly brought dead silence on the other end of the phone. A week later while volksvalking, I realized that "Mensa" didn't contain enough numerals to be a phone number, and knew it must be understood that any future member would be able to figure out the next two digits in the sequence. I tried dialling MENSANE, MENSAIL, MENSAFE, and MENSAAB, but got three rebuffs and a fax tone.

So it was neither rhyme nor reasone that I stumbled into a party in my building when I inverted my floor number and got off at 21 instead of 12. Entering the party, I flipped back the Oushak rug and counted the knots per square inch. These people had money. I heard snippets of conversation: words like "feldspar" and "euonym" filled the air. In the corner, a lone piper played a dirge. Instantly, I knew where I was. This was a Mensa party.

That's when I saw Lola. She had hair the color of rust and a body the shape of a Doric column - the earlier ones, pre-invasion. She walked across the room carrying one of those rum drinks, slid herself onto the blue velveteen sofa, and endearingly poked herself in the face with her straw when she missed her mouth. If she truly was Mensa, she would have no problem with my introduction: "Please don't relegate me to a faraway lea," I ventured.

"I can see you've read Goethe, the Snooky Lanson translations," she countered. "Lozenge?"

I was putting her at around 140. Her look told me she was pegging me in the low 120s. My goal was to elevate her assessment and wangle a Mensa membership from out of her. Taking a hint from the soap operas, I talked to her with my back turned while staring out a window: "Wouldn't you rather parse than do anything?"

"Hail Xiaoping, the Chinese Goddess of Song," she rejoined. Lola then engaged in some verbal sparring that left me reeling. "This is quite an impressive apartment," she offered.

I saw a dictionary on its stand. O, how I longed to run to it and look up "impressive"! How I wanted to retort in Mensa-ese! But it was my turn, and I spoke: "I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult." I threw my head back, laughing, coughed out my lozenge, and watched it nestle into the Oushak. She asked me my name. "Call me Dor," I said. Later, I realized I'd meant Rod.

Lola and I sat and talked through the night. After the party, I held her and whispered, "I love that you're in Mensa." She whispered back, "I love that you're in Mensa, too." My temperature dropped to arctic. She told me her phone number, but, since it was all sevens, I couldn't remember it.

Most things one wants in life come when they are no longer needed. My membership was awarded exactly one year later, when I applied and became an honorary mensa "plaything." I sold my refrigerator and with the money went on a Mensa love-boat trip to Bermuda. Embarking, I saw a woman standing aft, her back to me, slightly bent over a railing, looking very much the way a Doric column would look if it were bent over a railing. She turned and saw me, and I again saw my Lola. It was as though nothing had changed in a year, because we were both wearing the same things we wore on that night, still unwashed. She spoke: "Long time no see, Dor."

I corrected her, gaining the upper hand: "My name's not Dor."

"What is it?"

"It will come to me."

"Would you like to take a walk on the boatdeck?" she asked.

Boatdeck? Where is the drat dictionary when you need it.

She spoke: "I have only two years to live. Let's enjoy them while we slaver."

"Then slaver we shall, slaver we shall." I took her hand, and we turned eastward, toward the setting sun. "And, by the way, my name is Ord."

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I:
  • Shut the gently caress up
  • Listen to people
  • Try to be funny
  • Show openness for novelty, &
  • Forget I'm an excruciating goon.
Then I compare notes on how the evening went with the SO and ultimately admit that 'yes, I did have a good time. I'm glad I went'
Good question OP HTH unironically

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Cool_tony posted:

I was putting her at around 140. Her look told me she was pegging me in the low 120s. My goal was to elevate her assessment and wangle a Mensa membership from out of her. Taking a hint from the soap operas, I talked to her with my back turned while staring out a window: "Wouldn't you rather parse than do anything?"

"Hail Xiaoping, the Chinese Goddess of Song," she rejoined.

:chanpop:

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 25, 2016

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
So, I just ate a WHOLE pack of ramen noodles, and guess what was revealed!

We are all one before the LORD*!

hth

Or whatever gender-specific PRONOUN you prefer, hth

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Serviette posted:

So, I just ate a WHOLE pack of ramen noodles, and guess what was revealed!

We are all one before the LORD*!

hth

Or whatever gender-specific PRONOUN you prefer, hth

you shouldnät be so hard on yourself

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
You're, right. I should've had a glass of wine to pair with my noodles. Thanks for caring!

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

This is dope, yo. Reminds me of the time I joined a cancer support group for Doric Columnists (the pre-invasion kind).

Tinsel City
Sep 29, 2007
jenova

SurfaceDetail posted:

So GBS, How do some of you deal with just being plain smarter than most everyone you meet?

i vape

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Human life is inherently valueless; being the smartest person is like being the tallest midget. May an asteroid smite our vain and wretched race from this soiled earth

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was a genius as a child but as an adult im barely above average. but hey, at least i dont run around with my hand up my rear end in a top hat yelling about how smart and special i am like the op.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Serviette posted:

This is dope, yo. Reminds me of the time I joined a cancer support group for Doric Columnists (the pre-invasion kind).

It's a c/p from Steve Martin, but the goon who c/p'ed it deployed it well

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
This thread is how you deal with the person that thinks that they are the smartest one in the room.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Social intelligence is a thing too.

OP seems to have none.

Go shove a cactus up your rear end, OP, and stop making cry-for-attention threads trying to make yourself feel smarter to keep yourself from noticing the inevitable truth of your overweight virgin wasted life with degrees you have worked on without contributing anything back to that community.

Single By Choice
Apr 25, 2016

by Lowtax
I live in Florida and feel your pain. The average American is so stupid or mindless. The average guy I come across is a sex obsessed, skinny fat, ignorant loser. And women are obsessed with pop culture, but whenever you try to have deep conversation about music production or filmmaking they scoff and make you seem like the weirdo.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
How do you deal with being the Derek Smartest person in the room?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I have a scab in my nose and I was told not to pick it so I'm not I just breathe around it and wait.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The day before I eat in a restaurant I perform my own tests on it for fecal contamination. I bring a pocket full of swabs and a fake mustache and a khaki trenchcoat. I swab everywhere (except the toilets, duh). Even the hands of the servers. Any fecal matter and they've lost a potential customer. Just a small sample of my brainpower.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You suck, OP.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm of average intelligence, thoroughly mediocre

how do I deal with the smartest guys in the room like the OP

please help

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

rudatron posted:

I'm of average intelligence, thoroughly mediocre

how do I deal with the smartest guys in the room like the OP

please help

same way everyone else dealt with him at school: wedgies and swirlies

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Basically: you're an insufferable prick if you can't enjoy life for what it is.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I enjoy life a plenty. Its just hard from near the top sometimes. Theres drafts and other people just don't have the same perspective as me.

I need to learn how to handle the small whisperings from below.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The IQ you have at ten is almost certainly higher than your adult IQ score for various reasons. IQ is an indexed score based on age, not some kind of absolute measurement.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I don't really care about the op but IQ testing is interesting and you all should learn more about it. (Please do not mention that dumb book from the mid-90s).

Troutful
May 31, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yah its remarkable how many posters felt compelled to come in and inform the OP that he was not that smart

Obviously a 99th percentile poster

GBS is insanely easy to troll

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
136? *chuckles*

That's like my level hombre.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I deal with it by being helpful. People appreciate that.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
whenever im problem solving a complex problem or explaining something complicated to someone uninitiated i usually end up staring at something off in the distance and start talking like a robot

i also talk to myself a lot cause i need someone smart to bounce ideas off (i try real people at first but it usually makes things worse)

does this mean im artistic ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SurfaceDetail posted:

I enjoy life a plenty. Its just hard from near the top sometimes. Theres drafts and other people just don't have the same perspective as me.

I need to learn how to handle the small whisperings from below.

You suck. You're boring. You're not funny.

• Locked thread