Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
e: This contest is now closed! Please check out the voting thread to see the entries and help decide on a winner!

Welcome to the ICSA 66/NICSA 18 cooking competition!

The theme this time is 'Round The World and is designed to push you into cooking a wide variety of new world cuisines while also giving you plenty of creative latitude in choosing what you want to make. Specifically you'll be given a list of continents and challenged to make one dish characteristic of each continent that will (hopefully) all compliment each other as a meal. More on that later...

This is also an attempt to combine the challenging Iron Chef Something Awful (ICSA) contest with a more beginner-friendly Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful (NICSA) so people of all skill levels can participate. Effectively this means that we'll have one kick-off thread (this thread right here) but two sets of rules, two sets of voting threads, and two sets of prizes at the end. Choose the level you'd like to compete at and read on!

ICSA Tier Rules

Take the seven continents of the world (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Antarctica, Asia, and Australia), toss out Antarctica and whichever continent you happen to live on, and make a meal featuring five dishes based on the cuisines of some part of the remaining five continents.

e.g. If you live in North America you'd have to make five dishes with one each representing South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia.

The ICSA contest will get its' own separate voting thread at the end the winner will get an amazing prize - An Anova Precision sous vide circulator donated by the incredibly generous Captain Bravo!

[Ed. note - this Anova is an out-of-the box gently used item that the good Captain assures us is in pristine condition. Considering that circulators don't touch actual food and run long/hot enough to sterilize themselves it shouldn't be a problem, but you've been informed. Also, since it's already been purchased it can't be exchanged for something else so if you already have one and win maybe you could pass it along to the #2 person or something cool like that, k?]

NICSA Tier Rules

Take the seven continents of the world (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Antarctica, Asia, and Australia), exclude Antartica and whichever continent you happen to live on, and make one to three dishes where each one is based on cuisine from the remaining continents. Of course you'll probably impress the judges more if you make three things or if you do multiple dishes all at once, but if you just wanna try one thing and do it up really well or do three things at different times that's cool too.

Oh yeah - this tier is for newbies so no pro chefs or previous NICSA/ICSA winners allowed!

The NICSA contest will get it's own separate voting thread and at the end the winner will get a copy of The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, or some equivalent-ish book or gift certificate if you already have it.

Common Rules

If you want to participate please do so by posting in this thread and stating if you plan to compete in NICSA or ICSA tier. You can start dreaming up what you want to make now but the official contest will run May 1 to May 31. During that time you can go make your food, take pretty pictures of the major steps and the results, and then post your own thread in this forum with NICSA or ICSA in the title and link to it from this thread. Come June 1 I'll round up all the entries and make two voting threads that will stay up for a week. Then the winners get their prizes, everyone else gets to crib their recipes, and we're done!

F.A.Q., Clarifications, and other Errata:

* What about my fusion recipe for Bahn Mi filling in a Cornish pasty shell? Does that count as Asian or European?
If you can argue that some recipe could conceivably hail from two or more different continents then just pick which ever continent slot you want and make something else for the other continent(s). Each dish can only satisfy the requirement for one continent slot.

* Do I have to sign up before the May 1 start date?
Nope, you can sign up whenever you want between now and the end of the contest on May 31, but your entry thread has to be posted and linked here by the time I make the voting threads on June 1.

* What counts as a 'dish' here?
Anything that you'd normally order as a separate item at a restaurant. Appetizers, salads, specialty drinks, main course, sides, deserts... all good. If you're really in doubt just ask in this thread and we'll go with the opinion of the majority of posters.

The world is a big place filled with delicious food, let's go exploring.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Can't wait to see what comes out of this thread.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This is a really cool theme and I had a spontaneous idea for 5 dishes that should work well in combination. I only have to check whether I can get one specific ingredient.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All about it!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Excellent theme! I am really looking forward to this, and already know who I'm inviting round for dinner...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hell to the yes. I'll be NISCAing this up!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
What if we want to use Antarctica as one of our continents? I have an amazing recipe for frozen seal blubber. :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

What if we want to use Antarctica as one of our continents? I have an amazing recipe for frozen seal blubber. :v:

Or the delicious narseaguin, which is a penguin stuffed in a seal stuffed in a narwhal and then roasted

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Finally, a way to connect Uzbekistan to Andorra via Guatemala.

Very tentative about this as I have a long vacation in May, but ideas are coming.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
There's a McDonalds on each one, right?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

There's a McDonalds on each one, right?

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
Cuz I totaly weigh three hundred pounds or more I dont quite know
Ranch dressing on a McAfrica
(ranch dressing)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I am going to try this. I am going to aim for the ICSA but would lime to rsserve the right to go for NICSA instead if I fail to get the 5 dish.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oh drat, I have not competed in an ICSA since battle buttermilk a million years ago, but this one is super tempting! I am moving and have two weddings to attend this month, but I am going to try to squeeze this in some how.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As much as I am tempted to inflict a 5-continent dessert platter on the world, I just don't have time. I'll be watching and cheering you all on though!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anyone know where I can buy fresh goanna? :D

Do australians eat anything else?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do australians eat anything else?

I have it on good authority that they like shrimps on the barbie, Foster's beer, and bushmeat. Hope that helps.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Don't forget vegemite!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
As far as I can tell, they'll eat pretty much anything as long as you can put it on a fire and squirt lemon juice on it. :v:

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable
I think I'm in for the newbie contest. I've been wanting the book anyway.

Brawnfire posted:

Or the delicious narseaguin, which is a penguin stuffed in a seal stuffed in a narwhal and then roasted

I think that would count as fusion since narwhals are strictly Arctic and penguins Antarctic.

Spamtheman fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 26, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm in for the NICSA. I figure I can finish at least one dish in a month, and this will be a good excuse to do some research on "ethnic" cuisine.

Just making fun of that Washington Post article they're making fun of in General Chat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Spamtheman posted:

I think I'm in for the newbie contest. I've been wanting the book anyway.

I think that would count as fusion since narwhals are strictly Arctic and penguins Antarctic.

CRAP! I tried to so hard and still failed... curse my lack of wikipedia savvy!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am going to try this. I am going to aim for the ICSA but would lime to rsserve the right to go for NICSA instead if I fail to get the 5 dish.

This is the situation for me. Aiming for ICSA but may fall back to NICSA. I already have Our Lord and Savoir Kenji's book, plus a sous vide, but this is for the funsies, not for the stash.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's officially May 1 according to my calendar, so the contest has started!

You can still sign up until things end on May 31 when all entry threads are due. I'll be writing up the voting threads on June 1 and then leave them up for a week for voting.

Bon appétit! / Smakelijk! / بالهناء والشفاء / بالهنا والشفا / 食飯! / Guten Appetit! / कृपया भोजन का आनंद लीजिये! / いただきます / Kia mākona / Приятного аппетита! / Ditampi / Chúc ngon miệng / Sop megh!

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
Hooo Boy, Haven't done one of these in forever.

I'm in, but can I pick whether or not I do ICSA or NICSA at the point of submission?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Mid_Ben posted:

Hooo Boy, Haven't done one of these in forever.

I'm in, but can I pick whether or not I do ICSA or NICSA at the point of submission?

Yep, you're free to choose up until the point you submit your entry thread. Just make it clear which one you're shooting for so I know what voting thread to put you in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Today's the day of the grand shop! I'm going to rinse the world foods aisle.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so would Turkey be ok for Europe since it's technically Eurasia??

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so would Turkey be ok for Europe since it's technically Eurasia??

Do it right, man. Anatolian dishes for Asia, or Istanbul/Trakya dishes for Europe. Fried liver is a specialty of Edirne, in Trakya/western Thrace...

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

If the country is on some ambiguous border of two continents just pick whichever continent you want it to count as and make a different thing for the other continent.

I prefer to err on the side of keeping things fun and about making nifty food rather than get into pedantic rules lawyering over exactly where the origin of each dish is relative to the nearest tectonic plate boundary. Just chill out and have fun, y'all.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Finally was able too pick up the elusive ingredient I needed. A buddy I had told about my trouble finding it kept his eyes open and bought it for me while I was on holiday!
Today the grand shopping starts and then I will spend one day of the weekend in the kitchen it seems.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
All right, I have my three recipes. I am excited, but this is gonna be a bit of work, especially for the Indian dish. Making my own Paneer and Naan.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Started my prepwork. Tomorrow's the big day. I will post my entry in the coming week.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

I just noticed that the GWS Wiki is back online and has a section split out into regional cuisines. Hopefully helpful for those of you still fishing for ideas!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My friends are coming round in a few hours, my fridge is full of stuff, and I am going to have to improvise a cooking technique I've never tried before. I love a good ICSA.

Oh, and I bought new crockery.

Edit: halfway through, resting the meat, vision slightly blurred, time for another cocktail!

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 21, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
This month ended up sucking, but I`m doing research like mad (more like madly Googling poo poo). Looking forward to entries.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Admin note: For the next few days I'll be traveling throughout an area that is more known for its vast expanses of unspoiled wilderness than its amazing cell coverage. I will be checking in by phone whenever we're in the vicinity of a municipal center with at least a triple digit population, but just expect a 12 or so hour lag between replies for the coming weekend. Hopefully y'all are capable of running yourself for that long and I'll be back to civilization proper by late on the 31st in time to make voting threads on the 1st.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
poo poo hath gone sideways and I will be unable to compete. My apologies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

poo poo hath gone sideways and I will be unable to compete. My apologies.

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat, I can't take another challenge in my life at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My ICSA 66 entry is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778133

I wasn't sure whether I qualify for the NICSA so I decided to man up and cook 5 dishes and posted an ICSA entry.

It is incredibly late now (2 am) as posting the entry took way longer than expected, I will check for typos or formatting issues again tomorrow, right now I can barely see straight.

• Locked thread