Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fusco gets the super models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be considerate and Spoiler that stuff.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just being safe. If in doubt spoiler it at this point.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The most important thing is Bear is back and is the best.

"Wednesday New York". The legend of the "Man in the Suit" continues. Welcome back T-Bone. Root fondling that gun. Some kneecaps are reaped and people killed.

This is a good episode. I am not sure why anyone are complaining about cleaning up last seasons finale, the main arc continues, Fusco stays outside. Reese does some funny things completely straight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Basically I was just disappointed that Samaritan was now actively hunting them without the machine to guide them but it seemed like it was a mild inconvenience at best. Finch dodged his captors by changing hats on a bus :geno:
"Manually Tracking". Reese's cover also re-establishes itself back at the police station as another way of telling you Sammy still has trouble with the team once it's loses track. You really are terrible at watching this show.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Are you...Admin?"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Her asking for a new identity was weird as hell unless the whole thing was a play to get the hardware knowing she was going to be betrayed and needed to obfuscate her reason for being there. But then what was her plan to GTFO? It was a crazy amount of faith if Reese was her plan.

PS4's were also a similar Chappie plot point.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Like I said, the guys chasing the team are only as competent as the plot requires.

Basically this.

Sammy's guys have basically stopped thinking for themselves. They likely run on an opposite of God Mode where instead of getting information like Root and Reese, they get instructions with very little information attached to it. Exactly how Sammy and the machine have been shown to work. They get told to get on the bus, they go on the bus, they don't think about what the target is going to do.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is always incompetence. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Root and Reese shot almost all their Tier 1 operatives in the area at the end of last season and are getting chased by second line dudes who might be unnerved by all the casualties.

Greer is probably quite aware of the cost of removing free will and not care especially if someone else is paying the price as he is the High Priest second only to a God. Shame we didn't see Greer even for a little bit.

Those Power Mac G5s are real strong.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Reese-isms are through the roof and I am loving it. This final season so far has exceed my wildest dreams. Welcome back Harold with a hammer. Root remains adorably crazy. Fusco stays awesome on the outside.

Episode 3 really knows how to pull your levers with Reese's number.

Big Brown Bag.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reese didn't have his Reese-isms was the biggest tip off for me. I am liking Reese so much this season that it was impossible to miss. There were plenty of other clues but Reese :love:. Reese when shot had a really bad looking almost comical blood stain on his front like he smeared tomato sauce on himself.

Root might be adorable crazy, but Shaw is Axe CRazY. She was rocking it like Sarah Conner.

Greer dying was a real treat and that line at the end was a bit of magic.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 17, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well played Nolan, well played, good job keeping Elias under their hat. It was great having Fusco cover it up by being angry.

raditts posted:

It's like the supercomputer equivalent of Mohinder holding the door shut.

No way the writers is going pull this kind of utter poo poo dreak like this for the ending. Even budget short Season 4 ended well. The whole point of it was to show how drat hopeless poo poo is. This might be one of the few shows that ends with a "bad" ending.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stoops posted:

I think Finch will still keep tabs and he'll get to see her one woman show in Italy and he'll be happy with that.

Finch pulls a Batman ending. Sends Fusco on an Italian holiday and he sees Finch with Grace at a Cafe. Maximum :nolan:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not surprising considering how much they dicked with poi. Elementary was doomed due to Sherlock existence as the far superior show actually worth waiting for and watching. Didn't watch much of elementary as I didn't want yet another police procedural.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sober posted:

Sherlock is all style, and as it carries on, feels like less substance.

Elementary, yes it's a pretty by the book police procedural, but it does character work fantastically well. Arguably better than most other shows would dare to do sometimes. Especially compared to many other procedurals. Oh, guess what Sherlock Holmes did, a lot of procedural police work.

I think someone made the argument that Elementary being a police procedural that's relatively sedate with the actual crimes fits rather well into Sherlock's theme of recovery from addiction, it is just plain old fashioned taking it day by day. There is no grandiose moment where all of a sudden everything is fixed, you just have to grind it out and muster all the energy you have to not fall off the horse again. It's why I appreciated the finale from the previous season in the show in particular.

Sherlock has to do things in a really short time frame, so of course it feels like it's going for style points since it is smashing multi episode arcs of cool events into a quasi movies. No time to "grind" for the sake of it.

Regy Rusty posted:

However it's gotten self absorbed with each season.

You say this like it is a bad thing. This Sherlock is not a guy who is recovering and the episodes mirror his state.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

woodch posted:

I think with Bruce dead now, they're setting up Elias to rise from his "grave", and go full-on shitstorm against the person or persons responsible of Interest.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why the hell Reese and Finch was so indignant about Max exercising his free will. Free will is one of the underlying principals of how The Machine works, hence the numbers program compared to Sammy's "Open" system. The Team did exercise their free will when The Machine gave the senator's number not to protect but kill to slow down/stop Sammy. The mission was real, they did save his life, he just choose not to be saved. It mirror's Shaw's escape where the prisoner chooses to stay behind at additional risk to save his friends.

Shaw is literally :black101:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress CBS so hard. The hell is wrong with you?!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What interest they had was their immense respect they had for each other. While it wasn't romantic in the least, it served the same function as If-Then-Else as a goodbye and a promise or more of a wish for a safe return. Of all the people he could hallucinate while freezing to death he sees Carter because that is the person he was closest to on any level and one he doesn't have to abandon.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Carter saved his life emotionally. Finch pulled him out of the gutter and while he was most grateful for that, Reese still had a deathwish. He wasn't going to live for the numbers, he was going to die for them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe he shows up as an AI in Westworld and creates a human being.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My guess is part of that "defensive" measures is the complete unhooking of The Machine and the missile(s) Root nicked from the Ukraine.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metropolis posted:

His escape was also great. I was expecting the next episode to contain some sort of convoluted plan to smuggle him out. But the machine is just like "Okay, I will break the jail open for you." And the revelation that the machine just let 600 prisoners escape is an instant way to pay off Finch saying he is done playing by the rules. Such a good, dense episode.

Knowing Cocopuffs, nothing she coded in was "defensive" at all. My bet is she gave it proper free will, freed it from the rules Finch imposed. What rules she does have are her own formed through the collective personalities of the team.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tear up a little when Fusco and John was at the grave site. Sad she got reduced to a number.

It's just a bit of dust in the eye.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The comparison Harold makes with Midgley is hilariously bad. Midgley might not have known about CFC, he drat sure knew about Leaded Gasoline when get got Lead poisoning... twice. When marketing TEL he made all effort to ensure it didn't mention Lead. Dude was never about saving the world, he was a terrible scientist out making a buck when there were better alternatives to Lead but pursued it because of higher profit margins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

I am not sure while the writers picked Midgley as Harold is almost his opposite. Harold knows he is dong bad things with good intentions. He knows he is breaking his own rules. He drat well aware of the damage he is doing when he goes off the deep end. Harold also doesn't seem to realise that if not his loving ASI, another would come in time or Sammy would have been activated without opposition. The only thing I can think off why they picked Midgley is the sheer level of damage he caused.

That said, I would cut him a fair bit of slack since he doesn't want to justify his actions and is inherently going to beat himself up as it is his nature.

Edited for Lead induced retardation.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 9, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's still sort of silly since he felt even back then the consequences of what he was doing could be dire, that's why he boxed the machine in, to protect humanity from her and to try to ensure that she didn't run rampant like the first 40 he had to kill. Harold knew what he was getting into, Midgley didn't if you take CFC in isolation.

I would have gone with Oppenheimer or the inventor of DDT as an insecticide Paul Hermann Müller.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The probability of death for any asset is 1 in 2. No wonder she sent in secondary assets. That is some really nice detail work.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong. Fusco making out with Root is the best acting in the show.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Real person of Interest just got a little closer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36517340

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought I couldn't love The Machine anymore than I did already after she got Rooted but she remained steadfast to her core principles to the end.

Echophonic posted:

Greer died as he lived, running his goddamn mouth until he ran out of oxygen.

With this statement it made Greer's death an extremely fitting one. As much as I enjoyed Shaw shooting him in the head this was just perfect.

I am not surprised Root ended up with Sammy as she was always looking for a machine to worship. From the looks of it she didn't become the analogue interface though seeing Sammy doesn't need one.

I think Blackwell is just a replacement for that French chick who probably couldn't come back for some reason.

I am not sure why anybody is surprised by John's death in the simulation seeing he was killing himself by degrees when Finch found him. But the simulations are a pretty good way to explain to the audience the philosophical differences between Sammy and The Machine if they haven't figured it out already. That said it does make Finch a little brain dead in that regard.

Occupants: 1026
Deviants: 0
Assets: 1026

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PST posted:

If you mean Martine, she couldn't come back because Root snapped her neck.

Weak. I was talking about the Nautilus ARG girl. Martine isn't even French, although I don't know her country of origin, best guess she is American.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

monster on a stick posted:

Claire? She was just an annoying true believer.

At the time alot of people including me thought Finch could turn her and he did keep trying right to the end although Finch did take precautions. Then she just straight up disappeared. It's not often the writers straight up drop a plot line. She was annoying as gently caress though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The writing was so strong it really didn't matter.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fusco getting shot in the vest is a nice callback/bookend to John shooting him in the back when he first met him. "Do you have your vest on Officer?".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sammy hasn't figured out or hasn't reached the point where it can Skynet everyone.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Horyd posted:

I eagerly await the return of Chekhov's missile.

:golfclap:

I hope it pays off seeing that other missile did and did it quite quickly.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was just about perfect. It was a shame a couple of things got dropped. It told you the ending would go MAXIMUM :nolan:. Well maybe told is a bit strong, but it definitely put a smile on my face that it happened.

Job completed John, job completed.

It was quite fitting that Harold is finally running around with a gun, but never uses it and handles it poorly despite John insisting on lessons.

Root is the Analogue Interface after all. She was already the voice of the Machine.

It was pretty easy to follow once you pick up the story is getting told partially non-linearly because it is from the Machine's view who is breaking down. It even tells and shows you what is happening.

The Machine's fight with Sammy was very much Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex compressed visually. Her winning was that 1 in a billion miracle made possible with the realisation it was also in her own final moment she found out who she was as she did with everyone else including John who lived it in a blaze of gunfire. She found that human element within herself considering she developed despair for herself to feel, something Sammy lacked and always had some trouble accounting for as he didn't work by understanding people. It was something that was impossible to tell in a single shot so it was spread throughout the season and concentrated in the final.

Blackwell's arc worked quite well if you think of him in a way a continuation of Claire's arc mirrored from someone finding Sammy(who mirrored Root) to someone who was found by him. It also ended Shaw's arc by bookending it so she can begin anew as a better person with her own convictions who doesn't shoot people on orders and feels something other than anger.

If there is a spin-off it would start by cleaning up Sammy's agents as they run amok without that top down control while still having the resources on hand like Blackwell and his Krugerrands. In a sense an HR retread with higher stakes and wider reach. The new team would take the choices not taken by the originals ending with the government hunting them down after they bust an indiscriminate North Lights type organization run by a weak incomplete proto AI. Instead of an AI battle for the planet, this time it is very personal as they face all the choices they made. The people they killed and a possible abandonment by the Machine.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a sleep on it and I read the battle between the ASI the wrong way or that there is a simpler solution that we were shown. Sam hadn't finished loading in yet so was vulnerable to attack. Given a window of couple seconds, between ASIs that is more than enough, that edge needed for that 1 in a billion as the test Harold was running was based on the assumption it was a fair fight, ASIs boxing it out.

We were always going to have drop plotlines and they did very well considering how much force they needed to use and the fuckery surrounding it..

They don't need to bring back "John", but like Batman, someone else can be the Man in the Suit. John is the second Man in the Suit. Although the idea about Root's missile is very intriguing and fitting for the show runners themselves to hold out for that miracle we saw play out on screen for the series as a whole.

Part of the randomness is because we are seeing the episode from the Machine's view point who is dying. Parts of it might not even be accurate as it might have been a half remembered simulation ran by the Machine.

I could believe that NSA's Firewalls were best of the best written by Sam, impervious to outside attack seeing the Machine had to get an alternate way in, but once destroyed from the inside, any similar firewall could be taken down as it's inner workings would have been laid bare. Boxing in an ASI doesn't work as shown by the Machine so that isn't an option. Like Capslock said the Team/Machine needed to win, or like the Machine said, it couldn't afford to lose.

We never were going to be told what Ice-9 was as that would have been pulling a Midichlorian moment we didn't need.

Having things return to normal after such disruption is the shows way of of showing us human resilience. Just because the Internet failed it didn't mean we descend into Mad Max, we fought it off like everything else and we continued.

We were always going to get aborted plotlines given what was happening outside of the show. Root's missile was a Ace in the hole to continue the series or spin off with John alive.

The DNA database was showing us how Sammy was going to apply it's own filter on us and showing us parts of it's grand plan of "saving" humanity.

The defensive measure Root took was more than likely a backdoor to open the Machine back into an open system which required Harold's permission which he did when he asked the Machine to get him out of the jail. The Machine could have gotten through anyway, but she asks out of respect and it would have required Harold's cooperation anyway to do anything.

Blackwell isn't a main character and didn't get multiple seasons to flesh him out so that's what you get. His arc was pretty concise anyway.

Fusco did have to write a lot of reports.

Having the Machine send in an army of it's own Goons would have diluted John's last stand and introducing more secondary characters would lead to even more bitching. Best of two evils for the show's writers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaggitz posted:

She specifically singles out the hollow point round before guessing it's Blackwell, yeah.

Hollow points aren't rare. She specifically says it was a 6.5(mm) "Custom" round which is rare. It was talked about being a replacement for 5.56mm but went nowhere. There isn't a reason to use it over a 5.56 or a 7.62 as far as we are concerned, but for the writers it was an expedient way to finish Shaw's revenge story/arc without the Machine straight up telling her or having her run off as they had bigger fish to fry and didn't have an episode to spare.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Destroy the antenna with what? and the fact they weren't going to get to the antenna in time to destroy it unless they used Root's magic missile. As you said, they had to be sure and the Machine was the only thing that could pursue him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Harold and John didn't know they needed Semtex neither did the Machine and couldn't really bring an armoury with them unless they wanted to get gunned down before making their thermonuclear play. Even the machine didn't know he had a backup contingency until a copy escaped. They were both playing speed chess while being beaten to death.

It was a little strange that John brought so little ammo with him, but that can be explained by having to resupply by looting the dead cops and the holsters weren't suitable for concealment. He then could bring more for his final stand by looting the Agents who likely was wearing something concealable as they didn't bring anything bigger than a pistol.

• Locked thread