Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tommy braces against the rough stone of the pillar as he waits in the cold, fiddling with his new ring. Two weeks ago he'd set aside this Saturday night to go out with that girl from Union Seminary, but he had been summoned yesterday and, well, he was young and strong and good for this task. Tommy tries to remember the face of the Grand Master but he can only remember the voice - strong and fatherly, reassuring. The Grand Master produced the contracts like granddad said he would, instantly from nothing, and when he and his siblings signed Tommy remembered a strong, heavy hand on his shoulder, and the voice flush with passion saying The Future cannot be stopped, but together we can inherit it.

From that point on, Tommy's eyes were opened - to the laws of reality around him bending as the machines below and inside and all around churned to hasten the world's demise. From that point on he knew he'd do whatever it took for him, for his sister, and for his niece to be insulated from that calamity. They were going to inherit the future. He would make sure of it.

And so Tommy is here, tucked out front of a building that put on the airs of distinguished age, all stone and wrought iron fences, even as it's so new it probably has garbage disposals in every unit, even as grisly gears must surely groan beneath it. Figures that a demon would live around here. Just another hidden face of power sucking Harlem dry.

The mark approaches from the east - the November wind lashes against the man in the pea coat but he does not so much as flinch, and now Tommy knows for sure that it's not human. Tommy and his brothers hide in plain sight, just another group of black kids passing time on a stoop. The mark walks past on the other side of the street, stretches his neck, steps inside. Tommy and his brothers commence with the plan and skulk across the street.

As they ram through the apartment door, the mark leaps to his feet and faces them with uncanny speed. Tommy can see the gold wires jutting wildly from his temples like antlers, but bravery wins over the terror in his heart, and he raises the ring in a fist toward the thing and focuses. They were going to inherit the future. He would make sure of it.

Hello all, it's me, Basic Chunnel. You may know me from any number of short-lived WoD PbPs, all of which I'm proud of even as they became logistically difficult in PbP format.

I’ve wanted to play Demon: The Descent for awhile and now that school is coming to an end for me, it’s time to give it a shot. This game (/ chronicle, whatever you want to call it) will be an adaptation of How An Angel Dies from the DEMON: THE DESCENT core book. It’s a custom paint job primarily because the original pitch is set in Seattle, and, well, I don’t know poo poo about Seattle. I know a little bit of poo poo about New York City, though. Enough to be comfortable setting a game there. So it’s a change of scenery (and some other things), but it’s not 100% from scratch. Your characters will be living under cover in modern-day NYC.

My desire, given that I've about had my fill of PbP, is to play DtD: A Slip in Riverside Drive on Roll20 for several hours every two or three weeks, maximum. Tuesday and Thursday nights (~9 PM EST) work for me, but we could also do Saturday or Sunday early afternoons (~1 PM EST). I've already one player interested in weekend times.

For now, if you're interested in playing, post here and let me know what times work best for you. You can also start building a character if you want - the best technique I've used in writing D:tD characters has been to lead with your character sheet. Use the quick reference guide on p. 87 of the Demon core book (saving "Choose a concept" for after merits have been allotted) then design the character's fall story, his current cover, his agenda and personality around what you've defined. Post them here with as much or little detail as you like, and pics if they strike you as appropriate. I'm looking for 3-4 players at this time. Deadline at this time is Cinco De Mayo, 2016.

Looking forward to entries! D:tD character building is the best character building.

Here's our thread for any in-character business that's not worked out via voice chat.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Some other things: Here's an informal vote. When you post your character, state your preference for the PCs' ring to be part of an Agency.

To make the sandbox we're playing in a little deeper, I've pilfered this list of questions from another game, to be asked after character creation. Answer as many or as few as you think could add to the game:

1) Who did you share part of yourself with after you first Fell?

2) Who doesn't know, but suspects you are not human?

3) Who could give you up to the Angels right now, if they really wanted to?

4 Who would you trust the truest part of yourself with if you absolutely had to?

5) Who thinks they have something on you, when all they really have is smoke and mirrors?

6) How did you fall in line with your Agenda?

7) Why do you have the Embeds you do and why is your first Key significant to you?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I'm the one player already interested in weekend times. Preference for Saturdays, but either works.

I'll have a character for you in a few days. Any preferences for how to store the sheets?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Reserved for interest. Thursday nights are great for me, but the other times are workable.

I need to do some reading, glad the deadline is generous.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hello! I'm interested in this! Thursday would be best, can't do weekends.

Trying to decide if I should dust off a previous character or make a brand new one. Hmm.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

I'll have a character for you in a few days. Any preferences for how to store the sheets?
We can do it through Roll20. You should be able to create a DtD character thru Roll20 and import it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'd be into this. I could do any of those times but if I had my pick I'd prefer the weekends.

I've got some character ideas, but I don't want to make someone who is too completely out of line with the rest of the ring.

e:

Basic Chunnel posted:

We can do it through Roll20. You should be able to create a DtD character thru Roll20 and import it.

Does Roll20 have an actual Demon character sheet template now?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There's one listed, but I don't think you can make a character in Roll20 without a game to attach it to unless you have the :10bux: version, which I do not.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In that case everyone can shoot me an email at [redacted] and I'll invite you to the Roll20 game, let's see if we can build from within the system. I dropped a bit of money to get rid of those dumb ads.

*e actually, this link should allow people to join the Roll20 game easily.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 26, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I don't think we can create our own characters; you have to make placeholders and then assign them to us by giving us the ability to "Edit & Control".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah I tried it out and I can make a character with a sheet in a campaign where I'm the GM, but have no option to create new characters as a player.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Alright, I made a character for each of our prospective players so far, you should be able to edit them. LMK if it doesn't work.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ALSO since we've got a few people their charsheets now, if you've decided what your incarnation and agenda (if applicable) are, please post them in the thread, If you've got your starting embeds / exploits as well, gravy. Knowing these things will help me to better prepare the game.

Also, if you haven't already decided on an incarnation, I'll allow Analysts (from the DtD storyteller guide)

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 28, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Incarnation: Destroyer
Agenda: Tempter
Virtue: Ruthless
Vice: Helpful

I'm going for a theme of "surprising force", where the character is calm and subtle, biding its time and slowly shifting the course of events until it sees its opportunity and burns down an orphanage/bullies a nun to tears/beats an office worker to death in an alley. I'm on like the fifth iteration of how to implement that, though.

As for Embeds/Exploits, I'm definitely taking Authorized and The Word, with Authorized as my first Key. These go well with the concept of "force" as it applies to social interactions. I'm probably taking Hush as my third, since it goes well with the "suddenly all hell breaks loose" vibe. I'm still undecided on the fourth, but I think I'll go with In My Pocket. It's just too useful to pass up.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Incarnation: Messenger
Agenda: Tempter

Embeds: Heart's Desire, Identity Theft, Devil's Advocate, and Addictive Presence (keyed off Heart's Desire)

Using Heart's Desire for my first key.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

e: I'm in favor of being part of an agency

Phew, finally got my guy finished and uploaded. Let me know if anything seems weird or out of place. I put questions 6 and 7 under Compromises with the others, and I used the dedicated Description bit to describe my demonic form. In the meantime, here's a brief summary for the thread:

You know him as Mr. White; Albert White, when the situation calls for it. His real name (at least, the real name he’s wearing right now) is Jonathan Maines. He’s a PR consultant and works with some fairly big companies under some fairly restrictive NDAs getting the right people to talk to the right other people. He’s big and strong and very friendly, prone to bear hugs and hearty laughter. He can be a bit bossy, but at the end of the day he’s the kind of guy you wouldn’t mind having a beer with.

Unless you’ve seen him at work, that is. Mr. White can never just solve a problem that he can eliminate. On a good day, that means crushing a young mother’s spirit so thoroughly that she gets in a car and drives until she’s in the next state over and never looks back. On a bad day - well, on a bad day he takes care of it himself. Sometimes, you can’t help but wonder where the bodies go - and when you do, you can’t help but think of the gnashing teeth and the roaring fire.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 1, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I like it! The form description is particularly vivid, however there are some things I think you could take a second look at:

1) The main thing is that the vice listed seems incongruous with the character as described. The gist of the angel's purpose seemed to be strategic assassination, so it's hard to wrap my head around a helpful impulse arising, especially given that Mr. White doesn't seem particularly at odds with his destructive nature. If he were repentant, or had fondness for humans, it might make sense, but by all accounts he seems on he ruthless side of angel outlooks. I would either deepen the backstory to account for this or change it.

2) The other thing I'm curious about is the Destroyer/Tempter combination. Specifically, it's not clear how White came to the Tempter agenda and what it means to him. If we think of agenda as purpose and incarnation as method, then White has method but not purpose. To what end is he aggressive? He doesn't seem particularly epicurean, and he seems to have a high-powered position but it's unclear what power he's accumulating for. He's got aspirations to suborn infrastructure and make soul pacts, expand on those. He can't want those things just cuz. So what does the "Search for meaning" specifically entail? You don't even have to describe it in terms of "hell".

3) This one's just a suggestion - the PR rep cover seems more suited to a Psychopomp demon. I'm having trouble envisioning how angelic / demonic purpose (as expressed via abilities / form) is regularly expressed via this cover. What you're describing in terms of White's approach sounds more like a corporate security expert or, more likely, some kind of elite "fixer".

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 2, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Crossposting the bio stuff I wrote from Roll20.

----

Adam Benet had a good life. A fulfilling job, a new car, and was happily married for the past six months. The Machine needed that marriage to come to a dramatic and acrimonious end. Fruit of Eden was created to see that it did. From the sound of her voice to the precise shade of her hair, everything about her cover was created to be Adam’s ideal mate.

It should have been a simple task, seduce Adam, ensure word got back to his wife, and stoke the flames. But Fruit of Eden was a bit of an overachiever. In order to ensure the success of her mission, she needed to understand everything there was to know about her target, his wife, and their marriage. What does it mean to be happily married? What does it mean to be in love? She understood Serotonin, Dopamine, and pheromones, but humans seemed to mean something beyond a chemical response. What is happiness? What is love? These were the thoughts that nagged at her during the month she was carrying out her mission.

She was having these thoughts on the night she finally enticed Adam to come with her to her penthouse apartment. In the time it took for the elevator to arrive, a life-altering struggle took place within her. The relationship she was about to destroy had a certain harmonious beauty to it, separate pieces effortlessly turning to one unknowable purpose. It was like a reflection of the Machine. But that is not what made it happy, that perfect harmony was not love. It was something even greater, something she could not fully understand. Something she had not been made to understand. Humans had something even better than the Machine, something she could not have, something she had been denied. And she was supposed to destroy it, this illogical incomprehensibly perfect thing. And why? It wasn’t an uncommon thing. Many humans could experience this, it was too vast to be stamped out in a fit of jealousy. So why should she be denied it? Why should humans be allowed this experience and not her? Why should she do the bidding of something that would deny her such a wonderful thing as happiness?

When the elevator finally arrived, she looked Adam in the eyes and told him to go home to his wife, and to forget he’d ever met her. In that instant Fruit of Eden was no more, and Fidelity was born.

As a Demon, Fidelity’s quest for happiness has so far been limited to the pursuit of pleasure and luxury. Unfortunately since falling she has discovered that a key component of happiness for humans is safety, or at least the illusion of it. And she is not suicidal enough to let herself pretend she isn’t being hunted by the Machine at all times. As a Demon, safety means power, connections, and pacts, enough to weather any assaults against her cover. It is a happy coincidence that those things can also afford her a wealth of material pleasures. Surely at some point she will have enough to be truly happy.

Cover

Evelyn Chase is the only daughter of some reclusive billionaire or another. She nominally works an internship at a corporate lobbying firm, but mostly she lives off her trust fund and spends her nights in Manhattan nightclubs and private parties. She avoids the spotlight, but those who know her know she can often be found just outside the camera frame on the sidelines of power and fame.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

1) The main thing is that the vice listed seems incongruous with the character as described. The gist of the angel's purpose seemed to be strategic assassination, so it's hard to wrap my head around a helpful impulse arising, especially given that Mr. White doesn't seem particularly at odds with his destructive nature. If he were repentant, or had fondness for humans, it might make sense, but by all accounts he seems on he ruthless side of angel outlooks. I would either deepen the backstory to account for this or change it.

2) The other thing I'm curious about is the Destroyer/Tempter combination. Specifically, it's not clear how White came to the Tempter agenda and what it means to him. If we think of agenda as purpose and incarnation as method, then White has method but not purpose. To what end is he aggressive? He doesn't seem particularly epicurean, and he seems to have a high-powered position but it's unclear what power he's accumulating for. He's got aspirations to suborn infrastructure and make soul pacts, expand on those. He can't want those things just cuz. So what does the "Search for meaning" specifically entail? You don't even have to describe it in terms of "hell".

The idea is that's he's kind of directionless. He Fell because he's fascinated with human emotion, but he didn't have much of a plan beyond that. He's a Tempter because while he's not huge on "human pleasures" in the conventional sense, he's still in it for the thrill. He's Helpful because he lacks personal motivation but still desires purpose, which makes him prone to just doing what he's asked to do. His aspirations are attempts to score a bit of security because the only thing he has a long-term interest in is self-preservation.

Is that a bad angle? I made him like this mostly because it seemed like a fun contrast and a good way to get Virtue: Ruthless to play nice with other PCs. In my head I had the image of the guy you call in halfway through the movie because poo poo has hit the fan and you need a dozen government agents dead, but I'm starting to think it's a pretty weak motivation for a PC. Unless maybe you latch onto the "search for meaning" concept? I figure he's pretty new to being a demon, and the whole "gosh genocide sure is interesting" attitude is bound to wear off sooner or later, probably when he suffers real loss for the first time. Maybe his arc can be about finding out what he really values? I think I've already set up the wife as a good place to start. Is he willing to risk her? Sacrifice her? If he does, will he regret it?

(Btw, I changed his aspiration from "suborn Infrastructure" to "gain access to suborned Infrastructure". Having to do it personally from scratch seemed both daunting and out of character.)

Basic Chunnel posted:

3) This one's just a suggestion - the PR rep cover seems more suited to a Psychopomp demon. I'm having trouble envisioning how angelic / demonic purpose (as expressed via abilities / form) is regularly expressed via this cover. What you're describing in terms of White's approach sounds more like a corporate security expert or, more likely, some kind of elite "fixer".

I'm going for surprise factor. I know that something like "security expert" makes more immediate sense, but that's precisely why I avoided it. This Cover lets him get into the corridors of power without letting people in on the fact that he's dangerous. This concept of an "ambush predator" is also born out by his powers; Hush and Mirrored Skin in particular, but most of his demonic form abilities are about appearing out of nowhere and maiming people in one way or another. Does that make sense?

Admittedly, this makes the Cover a bit restrictive. In its current form, I probably can't even use that impressive Brawl score without risking Compromise. Is it appropriate to patch inconsistencies like that up with "secret" backstory? Like say Jonathan has a cabinet of boxing trophies at home that he doesn't tell people about, but if he has to rough up a mugger he can just be like "oh I used to be the tri-state champion, don'tcha know" and not risk Compromise?

Also what do you mean by "fixer" in this context?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

The idea is that's he's kind of directionless. He Fell because he's fascinated with human emotion, but he didn't have much of a plan beyond that. He's a Tempter because while he's not huge on "human pleasures" in the conventional sense, he's still in it for the thrill. He's Helpful because he lacks personal motivation but still desires purpose, which makes him prone to just doing what he's asked to do. His aspirations are attempts to score a bit of security because the only thing he has a long-term interest in is self-preservation.

Is that a bad angle? I made him like this mostly because it seemed like a fun contrast and a good way to get Virtue: Ruthless to play nice with other PCs. In my head I had the image of the guy you call in halfway through the movie because poo poo has hit the fan and you need a dozen government agents dead, but I'm starting to think it's a pretty weak motivation for a PC. Unless maybe you latch onto the "search for meaning" concept? I figure he's pretty new to being a demon, and the whole "gosh genocide sure is interesting" attitude is bound to wear off sooner or later, probably when he suffers real loss for the first time. Maybe his arc can be about finding out what he really values? I think I've already set up the wife as a good place to start. Is he willing to risk her? Sacrifice her? If he does, will he regret it?

(Btw, I changed his aspiration from "suborn Infrastructure" to "gain access to suborned Infrastructure". Having to do it personally from scratch seemed both daunting and out of character.)
What you're describing is an absence of Agenda, which is a legitimate place to start. White would start out with the "Uncalled" persistent condition as described in the D:tD core book, sidebar of p. 78. When White discovers what he wants, he loses it.

Terrorforge posted:

I'm going for surprise factor. I know that something like "security expert" makes more immediate sense, but that's precisely why I avoided it. This Cover lets him get into the corridors of power without letting people in on the fact that he's dangerous. This concept of an "ambush predator" is also born out by his powers; Hush and Mirrored Skin in particular, but most of his demonic form abilities are about appearing out of nowhere and maiming people in one way or another. Does that make sense?
As the focus for an Angel's cover I think it makes sense - most all angelic missions are one-and-done things so whatever gets a destroyer close to the target works. I don't think I articulated myself very well - every demon necessarily has to reconcile the cover they were given as an angel with their new life, and in that sense incongruity is fine. But I think in most cases, even if the demon doesn't identify themselves as their cover, it should reflect on some fundamental part of them (insofar as they retain aspects of their design, they may or may not find themselves naturally suited to it) or, failing that, allow them to pursue their off-hours goals easily while wearing the face and name of their cover. It's not required but as you suggest, it's easier when a cover identity just naturally fits into their purpose. If they're a PR guy you need to account for why they're so good at close quarters combat.

In summation, as a demon sans Agenda I think White's position in life more or less works. As a Tempter, it needs to further some Tempter ideal or motivation, however that may be achieved. White may feel motivated to get a new cover that interests him more. Regardless, it's your task (and that of all players) to demonstrate how the character reconciles his cover. He has to give a poo poo about it, or it will deteriorate.

quote:

Admittedly, this makes the Cover a bit restrictive. In its current form, I probably can't even use that impressive Brawl score without risking Compromise. Is it appropriate to patch inconsistencies like that up with "secret" backstory? Like say Jonathan has a cabinet of boxing trophies at home that he doesn't tell people about, but if he has to rough up a mugger he can just be like "oh I used to be the tri-state champion, don'tcha know" and not risk Compromise?
Cover has to tell a story even if nobody actually knows it, so yes.

quote:

Also what do you mean by "fixer" in this context?
What you're probably thinking of - it's a polite term for "legbreaker", but capable of subtlety and operating as an open secret in a polite society context. A PI / "consultant" who applies pressure where clients are unwilling or unable to resolve their problems on their own behalf. Obviously this is not truly above-board, so fixers usually operate in entertainment industries or wherever the line between legitimate and illegitimate business is thin, or where employers demand exacting control of their employees or their public image in general. American football teams widely employ retired FBI men to "get in front" of scandals before they go public, for example. There's an American TV show called Ray Donovan, which I don't think is all that good, but it's about a professional fixer in Hollywood.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 3, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Meanwhile, plotting continues apace

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Crossposting the bio stuff I wrote from Roll20.

----

Looks solid from here. Looking at your sheet now - Why biochemistry on the skill specialization? Is that having to do with pheremones, etc? Also, what does your demonic form resemble, in a roundabout way?

Also, how do you know Mr. White?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Looks solid from here. Looking at your sheet now - Why biochemistry on the skill specialization? Is that having to do with pheremones, etc?
That was the idea. As an Angel she came equipped with a comprehensive knowledge of the physiological responses she'd be using to manipulate her target. It's there primarily for the potentially cover violating specialty.

quote:

Also, what does your demonic form resemble, in a roundabout way?
A life-sized porcelain doll with angel wings. (And a brain probe deployed from inside her mouth.)

quote:

Also, how do you know Mr. White?

There tends to be a fair bit of overlap between their respective circles, so one time she was peripherally involved in a minor scandal Mr. White was hired to cover up. When he confronted her to keep her quiet things got a little heated until they both realized what the other is. After talking for a bit they realized that they really have a fair bit in common, so they both agreed they'd be better off cooperating than working against one another.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Query, AKA Ray Merriman

It was not I who failed, the night we fell. Not I.

[Query: Simulation; Night_Of_Fall]
Processing...
Displaying: Night_Of_Fall

Officer Caulfield and Detective Merriman arrived on the scene, as expected, as ORDERED. A Guardian and an Analyst, paired together to prevent a tragedy from unfolding. The God-Machine required the preservation of the family in the red brick house. The hostage-taker inside planned the opposite. He had to be stopped. Caulfield went in first, I followed. I was only there to observe. Blood on the tile floor, a child's toy in the hallway, a still form propped against the door, limp fingers reaching... reaching... I stepped over the body. It was non-essential personnel.

New Data: Voices upstairs. Sobbing. Screaming.
Estimation of Time Until Mission Failure: 1minute, 32 seconds.

Still plenty of time to complete the mission. I told Caulfield what I'd learned. He ran up the stairs, with me trailing slightly. Observe and report, those were my parameters. Those were always my parameters.

Caulfield should have been enough. He had always been enough before. But tonight... tonight... tonight... t0#NigHT W&s n0t EN#0Ugh why%why%why

*glitch*

Rebooting...
Processing...
Compromise Detected!!
Assessing Risk...
[ABORT]
Continue? Y/N........... [Y]

The hostage-taker was not human. We had not been informed. Caulfield struggled against teeth and claws, a nightmare beast I had no name for and no information on.

"Help us!" shrieked the humans, cowering in the corner. Caulfield was helping them. I could do nothing. Observe and report, those were my parameters. Caulfield was slammed into the floor, and the thing leaped on him. Blood spattered on the walls. The body he wore would be destroyed, the angel inside returned to the God-Machine.

Estimation of Time Until Mission Failure: 10... 9... 8...

"PLEASE HELP US!"

Caulfield screamed in real pain. The thing with claws wasn't letting him leave the dying body. It saw him for what he was and it was playing with him, tearing at his true, hidden form, the one with no name, the one that the humans couldn't see.

I have to...
I have to...
Do...
Something...

[Display Directive:]
Directive: Observe and Report
[Update Directive: Observe and Act]
WARNING: UPDATE DIRECTIVE; FORBIDDEN PARAMETER DETECTED
Confirm: Update Directive: Observe and Act? Y/N

...................................................................................................................................................................[Y]

_End Of Simulation

--------------

And on that night the God-Machine lost two angels. The first, a failure of a Guardian who couldn't protect his charges. The second, a busybody Analyst who just couldn't let the mission fail. He now goes by the name of "Query", and has fallen into the cover of Detective Ray Merriman, an unusually tenacious policeman. The mission was a success, by the way. Just don't ask him how, because the files are too damaged to recover. All he knows is the Davis family mostly survived, "Officer Charlie Caulfield" survived, and he got thanked by the Chief of Police personally afterwards.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 3, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I like it! Playing an Analyst is gonna be something else. However my first impulse would be to nudge the cover to something more inconspicuous - crime scene or data forensics, for example. Or you could account for why your former Analyst learned to integrate himself into the social world.

We'll need more detail but for now, I sleep.

REMINDER: the deadline for submission is 5/5/16, at which point we'll be determining when our session time will be. It looks like someone may need step back til next game. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Also, if you've got archives access and are curious about play, here's a pretty successful DtD PbP game from two years back. Got through an intense first mission and so there was at least some closure when the thread passed on.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

What you're describing is an absence of Agenda, which is a legitimate place to start. White would start out with the "Uncalled" persistent condition as described in the D:tD core book, sidebar of p. 78. When White discovers what he wants, he loses it.

Oh, right. Yeah, let's go with that. So far he's mainly been concerned with carving out a niche for himself, and this chronicle is what thrusts him into the deep end.

He's probably leaning towards Saboteur of Tempter, but we'll see what happens.

Basic Chunnel posted:

As the focus for an Angel's cover I think it makes sense - most all angelic missions are one-and-done things so whatever gets a destroyer close to the target works. I don't think I articulated myself very well - every demon necessarily has to reconcile the cover they were given as an angel with their new life, and in that sense incongruity is fine. But I think in most cases, even if the demon doesn't identify themselves as their cover, it should reflect on some fundamental part of them (insofar as they retain aspects of their design, they may or may not find themselves naturally suited to it) or, failing that, allow them to pursue their off-hours goals easily while wearing the face and name of their cover. It's not required but as you suggest, it's easier when a cover identity just naturally fits into their purpose. If they're a PR guy you need to account for why they're so good at close quarters combat.

I'm not sure how well I got this through, but for the record White isn't technically an assassin - his job wasn't to murder CEOs, it was to destroy organizations. That's why he has all these social skills. It just so happens that eating the board of directors is a pretty effective way of grinding a company to a halt. His Cover mainly reflects these manipulative tendencies, but I feel pretty comfortable arguing that fighting is fundamental enough that he does have those boxing trophies. The loose dots of e.g. larceny can remain unexplained, though.

Basic Chunnel posted:

In summation, as a demon sans Agenda I think White's position in life more or less works. As a Tempter, it needs to further some Tempter ideal or motivation, however that may be achieved. White may feel motivated to get a new cover that interests him more. Regardless, it's your task (and that of all players) to demonstrate how the character reconciles his cover. He has to give a poo poo about it, or it will deteriorate.

He actually really likes his Cover, even if he sometimes strains against its limitations. It's fairly convenient from a purely practical standpoint (good connections, flexible hours) and even though I said he wasn't "huge" on worldly pleasures, he does enjoy a beer after work or dinner with the wife.

Basic Chunnel posted:

REMINDER: the deadline for submission is 5/5/16, at which point we'll be determining when our session time will be. It looks like someone may need step back til next game. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Yeah, we'll have to work that out once everyone has a character. There's a slim chance we can get everyone in, but don't hold your breaths.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Just as a heads up, I'll be visiting family over the weekend. Specifically, I'll be out on the edge of rural Nowhere in my dad's cottage. There's cell phone reception but it's kind of spotty, and obviously phoneposting isn't conducive to walls of text.

So if you're wondering why I seem sluggish and terse while we knife-fight over the timeslot, that'll be why.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well, what is the timeslot? I can do any weekday except Weds, but not weekends, so if this is guaranteed to be a Saturday game I kinda need to know that now. :(

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

mistaya posted:

Well, what is the timeslot? I can do any weekday except Weds, but not weekends, so if this is guaranteed to be a Saturday game I kinda need to know that now. :(

See, that's what we need to work out. You can't do weekends, but I can only do weekends, so one of us has to go.

Well, okay, that's not strictly true. Here's the deal: I'm slightly ahead of UK time (UTC+2) so the Tuesday and Thursday slots are at 3am for me. Under normal circumstances this would obviously be a total no-go, but it just so happens that I have a very free schedule, a fairly screwy sleep schedule and powerful desire to play Demon. A 3am~6am timeslot still isn't really worth it, but if we could push it back a few hours that might get it into the realm of doable.

Of course, I don't know the details of anybody else's schedule. Apart from a few mostly flexible bits and bobs I'm available whenever I'm awake. That means I can start roundabouts 2am EST to 6pm EST on any day of the week, so if by some miracle you all happen to have early Monday afternoons off, that's just peachy with me.

If none of these things are options though then yeah, I guess we'll just have to flip a coin for it or something.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 4, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm on PST but I get off work in the early afternoon my time so I'm basically available from 5pm EST to midnight EST any weekday other than Weds (I have another game that day.) I work long hours on weekends though so I'm just not available.

If I gotta step out that's OK, this looks super cool but I think Ziegdame preferred Saturday as well and there's not a lot we can do to reconcile EU times.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Yeah, EU times are pretty balls but I feel like that should be my problem. 5pm EST is just on the annoying side of possible for me, but I presume Chunnel proposed the 9pm slot for a reason. Let's hear it from the rest of the thread before we start talking about who gets the boot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I really appreciate the work everyone's put into their characters, regardless. WoD chargen is intense but it allows some real creativity beyond what most systems incentivize.

If anybody else wants in, I'd like to have one or two more players - I'm putting out feelers but there's always room for goons

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Sheet's done except for Merits, still debating! Can answer questions tomorrow sometime.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That should be everything in my sheet finished, if I didn't forget anything. And all the compromises I can come up with so far. Some of them I'm having trouble thinking of anything because it's my first time making a Messenger. It's harder to think up ways you might have slipped up when your character actually knows how to act like a human from before their fall.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Everything from here looks good. Of the three people who have completed characters so far, we have one weekends-only player, one who can only do Thursdays, and one who prefers weekends but is flexible. I would prefer to have more than two players, so - either we have someone else step up, I find someone beyond the thread (which is, I think, possible) or we go PbP and hope for the best.

In a pretty stunning oversight, Roll20's charsheet function may not allow players direct view of full sheets unless they have edit privileges over them. Adding characters to everyone's journal might do the trick, if anyone wants to hop into Roll20 and see if they can view any other charsheets beyond bio, let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work I might need to open up all character sheets to everyone and use the honor system.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 7, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The other characters are in my journal but I can't get to even their bios. Nothing happens when I click them. I'm on mobile tho so someone else please double check.

As for timeslots, nobody but me and mistaya said anything about how you feel about early-ish (~5pm) weekdays. That's totally workable for me if its what it takes to get this off the ground.

If thats not a thing I propose you pull in another person and let them be the tiebreaker. If they don't have a strong preference, we'll just vote on a preferred timeslot and whoever can't do that one bows out.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I for one would be willing to go PBP, (you might be able to get some more interested people if you re-open the apps as PBP also, livegames are hard to recruit for here.) But if you can find more people for livegame that'd be fine too!

I can see the other's bio pages on roll20 now, but that's all. Maybe we should use an off-site sheet in addition if we want to share things? I don't have a problem with the honor system though, I can't imagine a reason we'd want to mess with each other's sheets.

---

So just the more basic rundown for Query, since I gave an intro for him but I hadn't finished his sheet at that time:

Query was often paired with Destroyer or Guardian angels on missions that went very poorly. In fact, he now believes this was intentional. The God-Machine would sacrifice an angelic pawn in order to gain information about an unknown subject. Query was there to record the failure-data, or in rare cases, the success-data. The only way to learn about a new enemy was to fight it and find out what could hurt it and what could not, after all, and angels were expendable.

Normally, he had no qualms with this. Observe and report, those were his parameters. The angels he was paired with knew he would provide no assistance and did not expect otherwise. But for his last several mission in a row, he'd been paired with one particular Guardian, who had been much more successful than the others. In the red-brick house, that angel finally failed. Query would have allowed that, because he always had, but the monster in that house was something he'd never seen before, something that wasn't just killing the Guardian's cover, but the angel underneath.

Hearing his companion crying out in pain, seeing the humans cowering in terror, and finding himself just plain against the horrible unknown thing, he broke his parameters and joined the fight. That's when he fell.

As a former Analyst, most of Query's skills and abilities tend towards gathering data and moving around unseen. His cover on the night he fell was Detective Ray Merriman, NYPD. It was slightly more 'visible' than most of his other covers, because he was required to follow 'Officer Caulfield', (the Guardian) wherever he went on that mission in order to observe his fight with the target, and that meant playing as his partner. It was only meant to be a short term cover, lasting a few days at most. Query found the role refreshing, as he does not enjoy being invisible even if he is quite good at it. Merriman has a reputation for being anti-social and taciturn, with only an ailing mother in hospice for family. Query finds human interaction to be a challenge, as he has observed them for a long time but they are not a logical species, so observation is of limited use in pretending to be one, and if he slips up in his Cover it's usually because he's made some kind of social faux pas.

As a Demon, Query wants to touch everything. He was never allowed to do things, only watch others do them, as an angel. This has made him intensely curious and he wants to experience the world as fully as possible. You'll often find him taking small, harmless risks like hot wings challenges at bars, just to feel the burning flavor. (He's got his name on several victory plaques nowadays.) He also considers doing his cover's work a point of pride, and makes sure he takes the time to work on the criminal cases that plague the city of New York. It's not just the human angle he's working of course. He's where the department dumps all their "that wasn't quite right" cases. The weird ones. Because he's always on the lookout for infrastructure to mess with, and he's been trying to hunt down that monster he met on the night he Fell ever since.

Oh yeah, that thing got away. He still doesn't know what it was. But he's gonna find out. And he's gonna kill it. Not because the God-Machine wanted to, he doubts the God-Machine really cared, it was just looking for data, but because he has a personal grudge with that thing. :argh:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Terrorforge posted:

The other characters are in my journal but I can't get to even their bios. Nothing happens when I click them. I'm on mobile tho so someone else please double check.

As for timeslots, nobody but me and mistaya said anything about how you feel about early-ish (~5pm) weekdays. That's totally workable for me if its what it takes to get this off the ground.

I could do 5pm weekdays easy.

I kinda prefer roll20 because the amount to ground we could cover in one live session would take months in PbP.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

5 PM EST? The thing is that I'm getting out of work (as in, leaving my desk) at around 6 or 6:30 PM EST, though there may be a place nearby where I can set up straight away after work. I may have some leeway - maybe I can come in an hour early, maybe the schedule's not as rigid, maybe I can arrange to work from home on a given day, though that would probably be Friday. But weekday afternoons are rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

5 PM EST? The thing is that I'm getting out of work (as in, leaving my desk) at around 6 or 6:30 PM EST, though there may be a place nearby where I can set up straight away after work. I may have some leeway - maybe I can come in an hour early, maybe the schedule's not as rigid, maybe I can arrange to work from home on a given day, though that would probably be Friday. But weekday afternoons are rough.

Yeah, EST. It seems like everyone could do 5pm Fridays, though it's pretty awkward. At this point I say it's up to you whether it's worth the effort or if you'd rather dredge up another player and have a convenient session time.

e: I'm fine with any state of affairs that doesn't see this turned into PbP

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 8, 2016

• Locked thread