Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Durzel posted:

Didn't Romero string out some pro gamer chick (back when pro gaming was Quake, UT, etc) and pay for her boobs to be done, with a shitload of drama involved, or was that an alternative reality?

Stevie "Killcreek" Case was a pro Quake player who John hired on to be lead level designer. Level designer is a position that Romero was very good in at id but Case was completely unqualified for and only got because she and John were banging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I was googlin' around for research so I could post a totally sick burn about Romero's past marriages, but found this old article from Lowtax: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/god-bless-you/

Lowtax in 2004 posted:

Mr. Romero's 15-year old son can go to the same high school and college as his new mother, thus creating an unbreakable mother / son relationship. They could share notes and gossip about "that ugly Becky Leeman girl."

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Stevie "Killcreek" Case was a pro Quake player who John hired on to be lead level designer. Level designer is a position that Romero was very good in at id but Case was completely unqualified for and only got because she and John were banging.

It's about ethics in level design

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
i'm going to the bathroom to take a fast, skillful bowel movement

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Captain Rufus posted:

Course people were dumbfucks enough to give Richard Garriott and Chris Roberts fat stacks so nostalgia is money.

And yet the ex-cop (Ken Walls, I think) behind Police Quest tried to kickstart a similar IP a few years ago, also based around being a cop who must follow proper police procedure. Failed, which is a shame, because how many games are out there like that, especially these days? (Even L.A. Noire let you drive around like a lunatic.)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Oh Don Piano posted:

i'm going to the bathroom to take a fast, skillful bowel movement

how'd it go?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So in November it was Romero Games but now it's a different company and I guess he's in Ireland because he's broke and it's the only place he can afford to live while fleecing nostalgia nerds? What happened to the under age Romanian bride? So much going on.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Agent Escalus posted:

And yet the ex-cop (Ken Walls, I think) behind Police Quest tried to kickstart a similar IP a few years ago, also based around being a cop who must follow proper police procedure. Failed, which is a shame, because how many games are out there like that, especially these days? (Even L.A. Noire let you drive around like a lunatic.)

A game where police follow procedure is simply too fantastic for the medium.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I just checked the kickstarter again and I may be caught in a cosmic mane induced funk but it appears to be losing money, so I guess it's going well.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

how'd it go?

fast strafed the bowl and rocket jumped

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skeleton Ape posted:

The problem was id's MO of Carmack coming up with a "holy poo poo" game engine that did things no one had ever seen before, and then Romero would apply his "ideas guy" schtick to them. Ion Storm was what happened when you removed Carmack from the equation gave an ideas guy with no real programming or business experience infinite money.
In these days when you don't have to create a brand new engine from scratch you can get away with not having a Carmack. Everyone should read Masters of Doom, I'd recommend it to people who aren't even particularly interested in video games. His second book Jacked about the creation of Grand Theft Auto isn't nearly as good. Romero and Carmack are despite their flaws, far more interesting and sympathetic than the stupid rich kids from Scotland who made GTA.

EDIT: Stevie Case has had games industry jobs with no gaps since leaving Ion Storm suggesting she's not just some bimbo. Though Romero hiring her was undoubtedly a really stupid decision. Her website which may still be around was all "I gots a boyfriend, you might have heard of him, durrrr it's John Romero". Masters of Doom said she used to be fat.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 26, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Melmac posted:

I remember he had a site Rome.ro when vanity TLDs were really uncommon and right on the front page he was bragging that one of his games was a top NGage seller lol

it's still a thing

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That voice keeps making me think it's suddenly going to say "If you need help, and you can find them.. you can hire the A-Team." Except I don't think it's meant to be funny.

Randal posted:

THEN SOMETHING HAPPENED.

Great setup, guys. I'm sold.

They should have gone into full "No Johns, you are the demons" territory for comedic gold.

That said the actual concept for the game is pretty cool. The idea of being able to enter all kinds of varied settings and hack them in various ways has a lot of potential, if the execution isn't rear end. I mean can you imagine what Valve would do with that concept?

Honestly it'd be way better if they went calls out crazy with it. In an old west town, and want to hack a Horse to have a minigun attached to it's head?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 26, 2016

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Masters of Doom said she used to be fat.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shots/developerId,13426/developerShotId,138/

one simple trick to losing weight: esports

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

John Romero twitter updates? New homepage set. :cool:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Captain Rufus posted:

I don't remember where I read it but part of why Romero started actually seriously working on games as a job was because as he put it "I got my girlfriend pregnant and she wouldn't have an abortion so I needed money".

This is, without question, the funniest sentence I've ever read.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

speaking of bideo games, where is cliffy b and is he still doing an unreal?

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Happy Bear Suit posted:

speaking of bideo games, where is cliffy b and is he still doing an unreal?

he says he is but he's working with loving nexon and also people immediately quit giving a poo poo now that the new unreal tournament exists

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this brings back a return to classic fps gaming with keycards and super shotguns

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

ColoradoCleric posted:

I hope this brings back a return to classic fps gaming with keycards and super shotguns

"I can't leave without my buddy Santiago Sonora"

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
If there isn't a 6 barrel shotgun #dropped

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I watched the video and all I can say is it reads / sounds like a six year old's idea for a video game. I would rather have it red by a kid and them add sound effects with their mouth it would sell better to me.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
loving Galway.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

"i'm in Ireland - so that means I'm super informed about what will make a truly awesome FPS level in an Old Castle"

*dies endlessly at the hands of Flamethrower Leprechauns*

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Daikatana was a good game wrapped in a really lovely game. John romero was always the soul of ID and ID died when romero left.

Masters of doom kinda makes carmack seem like a douchelord idiot and romero to be icaros.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol does anyone remember when id released Rage?

me neither

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
DEREK SMARTS DESKTOP COMMANDO

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol does anyone remember when id released Rage?

me neither

Rage is a legit great game, it's just making it took forever and just as you start getting into it, it ends.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Microwaves Mom posted:

I watched the video and all I can say is it reads / sounds like a six year old's idea for a video game. I would rather have it red by a kid and them add sound effects with their mouth it would sell better to me.

A pair of 1990s 14 year old kids should describe it, making it more and more 90s in spirit as it goes on. They eventually morph into live-action Beavis and Butthead.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I pledged at the HOXAR STATISTICIAN level. I fully intend to design an ambient roaming dong monster.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ireland baby.

Romero has been here for a while.

So he's stopped banging Romanian girls half his age?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

88h88 posted:

just as you start getting into it, it ends.

That's a bad game

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
He's looking to Kickstarter to fund his next big project? Look out, John Romero is about to make you his pitch.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Romero held a talk at a small game exhibition here in Oslo a couple of weeks ago. It would probably have been interesting to watch but since pretty much everyone else went to the auditorium I just stayed in the in the exhibit hall and played old arcade machines.
Rampage and Tempest still kick rear end.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Alucard posted:

He's looking to Kickstarter to fund his next big project? Look out, John Romero is about to make you his pitch.

:golfclap:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

op im pretty sure that was the end of star wars

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Lunixnerd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbDQSOmwA20

Not sure how he will top the majesty of Daikatana but the force awakens ripoff announcement video gave me the the opposite of goosebumps.

Go home orchestra, your drunk

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

gannyGrabber posted:

That's a bad game

Nah, it's a solid 8+ hours in but it's obvious the game was rushed out when they had planned for more. Game's great, the combat is nice and weighty, the shotgun as always in id games is immense, the amount of different ammo and such you can create is top notch, it just all comes to an end too soon. That said I only paid like $10 for it, I can forgive a lot.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Masters of doom kinda makes carmack seem like a douchelord idiot and romero to be icaros.

I thought it painted Carmack as an honest to god sperg who didn't have much capacity for intentional douchiness. All he cared about was making cool games and got annoyed by people and things that prevented him from doing so. Romero calling himself a "future rich person" as a kid pretty much nailed his personality. He was willing to work his rear end off to get to that point, but after he felt he'd "made it" and bought his Ferrari and everything he just started coasting and cared a lot more about being a celebrity than actually making games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

John Carmack will always be my hero for taking a really firm stance against software patents. He fostered a lot of great third party game development by insisting that iD never ever file any patents, licensing their technology and open sourcing the Quake engines.

Even if he did more or less murder his cat.

• Locked thread