Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Rage was loving terrible. No direction and the main missions felt like side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
His obsession with castles and poo poo is annoying. I don't want to play another Quake. I want to play another Doom.

Maybe they should just mod Doom 2 and release it. I bet they'd make millions just doing that for half the work. Everyone is fine with playing retropixely poo poo, and if Romero is doing all the levels what's the problem? poo poo out 20 more Doom 2 levels, throw a $60 pricetag on it, and it'll outsell Doom 4.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

88h88 posted:

Nah, it's a solid 8+ hours in but it's obvious the game was rushed out when they had planned for more. Game's great, the combat is nice and weighty, the shotgun as always in id games is immense, the amount of different ammo and such you can create is top notch, it just all comes to an end too soon. That said I only paid like $10 for it, I can forgive a lot.

Yeah I never understood the seething rage (heh) everyone seems to have for Rage. It was short and it didn't need the open-world component but at the same time it had some of the most satisfying shooting action in any FPS I've ever played. I remember the section where you go deep into some abandoned city also being a really really fun time, lot's of constant tense action and all. Even the vehicle sections weren't really bad.

I guess there must have been a lot of nerds who expected Rage to be the second coming of Doom or Quake but for something that I grabbed cheap on a sale it was pretty sweet.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
DooM: Extended Edition, with 3 new demons, all of whom are romanceable :nignog:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Romero released a brand new Doom level he made recently (for the 20th anniversary or something?) and compared to the user WADs being put out today it was not very good. The level building community is in an entirely different league from what Romero was doing in the 90s (and is apparently still doing).

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

SOMETHING HAPPENED

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

error1 posted:

John Carmack will always be my hero for taking a really firm stance against software patents. He fostered a lot of great third party game development by insisting that iD never ever file any patents, licensing their technology and open sourcing the Quake engines.

Even if he did more or less murder his cat.

John Carmack is an engine-coding God, but now that you've got whole teams of people building Frostbite for Battlefield, or RAGE for Grand Theft Auto, his genius kind of falls to the wayside because he isn't nearly as good at making modern games to back the technology up.

Romero and Lesser Carmack can't design a game that would sell well. They're convinced that people want a throwback FPS with no complications to interrupt the shooting of aliens or demons, but all the big action franchises are the ones that give you a ton of options to play them.

It's embarrassing seeing them try to convince people they're really looking for a throwback FPS because it's pretty obvious that people WANT a ton of complications and options. They're so out of touch.

Also I think Adrian Carmack owns a hotel in the very area Romero is trying to set up shop in Ireland... must be a coincidence though!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk I'd buy the poo poo out of a re-skinned Unreal Tournament and some additional maps (especially assault mode ones)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thread inspired me to get quake 1 running, just blew thru ep1 real quick

fun pew pew

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Moridin920 posted:

idk I'd buy the poo poo out of a re-skinned Unreal Tournament and some additional maps (especially assault mode ones)

A bunch of people would buy it, but they're going to right back to whatever CoD or Battlefield game let's them make a bright pink sniper rifle once the old-school simplicity gets tired.

Halo is about as simple as games get these days, and even that gives you 100x more options than UT or Quake 3 did.

And unfortunately, game engines have gotten so complicated that the days of big mods are over - we'll probably never see another mod like Counter-Strike or Action Quake 2.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think that you're right that people look at older games with rose colored glasses - DOOM obviously doesn't stand up to modern FPS games in a truly objective reckoning.

However, I think it is also true that many modern games are either simplified (usually in the case of RPG/strategy games) or are missing something slash overspecialized themselves (like CoD). Like, I love playing some CoD or Battlefield don't get me wrong... but they are slow. And boring a lot of the time. Yeah, there's more options in terms of weapons and customization and whatever the gently caress. Even so, they feel like molasses compared to the twitch shooters of old. People tell me I'm just getting over gaming or whatever but... nah. I can still waste a whole weekend playing a 4x game.

I guess what I'm saying is I want fast paced shooters with crazy mechanics that are also modern with a ton of customization/options?

Idk I think there's a fair middle ground... I am getting kinda burned out on military 'tactical' shooters. I never really liked Counter-Strike. I don't have a ton of nostalgia for old games but there's some that just have a goddamn fun formula, simple or not. UT is one of those because of the fast pace of play. But there's all these developers that were young in the 80s/90s and I think they're confusing people getting over the same formulaic AAA games that are just another iteration of themselves with little changes and some new maps with 'people want the old games again because they were better.'

I mean goddamn how many times can we see 'AK47, MP5, M14, M4A1, Barrett .50 Cal, etc.' before it gets old? Give me a loving flak cannon and let me shred fools into tiny little bloody gibs. Give me some interesting weapons in a fast paced game and for the love of god don't turn it into another goddamn MOBA.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 27, 2016

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Good God drat I had a blast playing action quake 2 on LAN with buddies and my dad. Dad was a dirty camper though.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

it's literally free!

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Is this just another star citizen thats being marketed to me this time?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I think that you're right that people look at older games with rose colored glasses - DOOM obviously doesn't stand up to modern FPS games in a truly objective reckoning.

What is a "truly objective reckoning"? The Crate Review System?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I replay the Doom games every few years. There is nothing rose colored about brilliant level design that absolutely nothing has come close to doing since.

quote:

I guess what I'm saying is I want fast paced shooters with crazy mechanics that are also modern with a ton of customization/options?

I could live with this. They should mod the poo poo out of Doom 2 and sell it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 27, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

lol theres gonna be a daikatana 3 before halflife 3

I hope it is so good Gabe Newell chokes on a McRib and dies

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CIRCLE STRAFING ENEMIES

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

NotAnArtist posted:

CIRCLE STRAFING ENEMIES

This is the game you know we can make!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You're not going to see a big super fast dumb shooty FPS in the next decade, I don't think. At least not one with the budget to support all the maps and crazy amount of enemies you need to make it fun. That insanely fast style of action game has shifted over to the third person brawlers like DMC and Bayonetta.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

hell yeah

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

The world's lead tech company HoXor is running simulations in a blackroom and something goes wrong. You are Santiago Senora and you are called in to clean up the mess.

So they are going to simulate a western town, a castle, etc. and you can "hack" the environment.

lol

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

The world's lead tech company HoXor is running simulations in a blackroom and something goes wrong. You are Santiago Senora and you are called in to clean up the mess.

So they are going to simulate a western town, a castle, etc. and you can "hack" the environment.

lol

Seriously, it's like he watched that one William Gibson-penned X-Files episode "FPS".

Although, I'm pretty sure this is all setup for a "trapped in the MMO" scenario where you're somehow really in the game world instead of fighting virtual enemies in a box.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

People still play and make content for the Doom and Quake games 20 years later. How many people still care about whatever Call of Duty game came out even 2 years ago?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Have you ever played Doom?

I play Def Jam: Vendetta.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i first played doom on the nintendo 64

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Lankiveil posted:

So he's stopped banging Romanian girls half his age?

What's wrong with banging Romanian girls half your age?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

who will make me their bitch? :ohdear: pm me

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

theperminator posted:

What's wrong with banging Romanian girls half your age?

it triggers fuckups in the same way that getting a job to pay for your newborn son does

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tricky D posted:

A game where police follow procedure is simply too fantastic for the medium.

Press F to sprinkle some crack on him

E realtalk if you're looking for some old school stupid twitch shootmans (with sliding and walljumping too) check out urban terror

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 27, 2016

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Doom (2) the Way id Did do a great job of replicating the great design and charming shittiness of the original Doom levels. They're really amazing:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/megawads/dtwid
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/d2twid

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i was re-watching Proteus's LP of Quake 2 and he did a good explanation about why that game and Daikatana sucked

-Daikatana sucked because it was 100% john romero's project. all the stupid poo poo in that game was his idea. it was a disaster, but at least it was a memorable one
-Quake 2 sucked (well, the single-player mode did) because it had zero input from romero. the result was a dull game with boring enemies and lame weapons

i don't know what kind of poo poo this game will be, but make no mistake about it: it will be lovely

spud posted:

Ok I'm going to say it:

Ireland paid us loads of money with massive tax breaks to make a shite game.

There we go.

Source: I worked there for years, this is what happens.
they did that once in rhode island and it was a massive gently caress-up and a waste of public money. i can't imagine an entire country making such a stupid idea an important part of their economy

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

After seeing the poo poo they're passing off as Doom, I have to wonder if that made them finally go "gently caress this" and do this.

.. that said when it came to classic iD:

John Carmack: The brains
John Romero: The soul
American McGee: The asthetic
Adrian Carmack: The look

Several of these people were exactly what was needed in the "band" but terrible solo.

American McGee is a person? I always thought it was the name of a studio or company or something.

Also, that video is a glimpse of how awful this game is going to be. It's going to be loving awful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

What is a "truly objective reckoning"? The Crate Review System?

The Moridin's Opinion System.

(Wolfenstein 3D is still the best FPS I've played on my Xbox 360 home computer system.)

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

SOMETHING HAPPENED

Something dangerous? Something unexpected? I like to imagine the something happens every week, and they just have a guy on hand to fix the murderous holograms.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

they did that once in rhode island and it was a massive gently caress-up and a waste of public money. i can't imagine an entire country making such a stupid idea an important part of their economy

ahahahaha Ireland doesn't even have a government at the moment

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

ahahahaha Ireland doesn't even have a government at the moment

john romeros hair for lead leprechaun or whatever you do

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man the half of that preview I watched looked like a more tech version of Bioshock Infinite

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I'm going on a trip to Ireland at the end of May, if I run into John Romero what should I ask him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

I'm going on a trip to Ireland at the end of May, if I run into John Romero what should I ask him?

"ARE YOU ENYA???!?"

• Locked thread