Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

ethanol posted:

i first played doom on the nintendo 64

What is wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What is wrong with you?

N64 Doom is a good Doom.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DOOM II

A game where you kill demons, a lot

The plot is that the demons came and murdered the world so now you gotta kill them back

kill hell

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What is wrong with you?

I was playing with sand castles when it first came out?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Haha you didn't play doom when you were six there must be something seriously wrong with you

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ethanol posted:

Haha you didn't play doom when you were six there must be something seriously wrong with you

yeah its called old age

:(

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

ethanol posted:

my dad sat me in front of his computer at literally that age and let me play doom. sorry you didn't have cool parents

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

a retard posted:

my dad sat me in front of his computer at literally that age and let me play doom. sorry you didn't have cool parents

That's a really touching story, I was riding around in my dad's 944 Turbo

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

a retard posted:

it's easy to judge parents but when your six year old brat whines for hours on end the prospect of them turning into a serial killer in their later years seems like a small price to pay for a little peace and quiet

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
God damnit my parent were christian and wouldnt let me play anything. I fooled then though. I manipulated them into believing that you could play through FEAR by being a pacifist. I speedrunned the demo without shooting anybody and then they bought the game to me. Win!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Zzulu posted:

DOOM II

A game where you kill demons, a lot

The plot is that the demons came and murdered the world so now you gotta kill them back

kill hell

a good plot summary

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

E: wrong thread

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

a retard posted:

Heh, one of my earliest childhood memories is playing Doom when I was four or five years old. my dad got the shareware version of Doom when it first came out in 93. he would let me play before bedtime but only for 10 minutes at a time. I still remember one time i begged him to play longer than 10 minutes, and his response was, "but b-minus1, that's 600 seconds!!" lol nice job dad. anyway, i've put more hours into doom/doom2/heretic than probably any other game, and every once in a while ill play a few games of ctf/coop on zdaemon. i suppose i'll check out this new game when it comes out but i'm not expecting anything great.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Heretic/hexen were the god drat super tits.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I was in 6th grade and one day at recess my friend handed me a floppy with the shareware episode on it and said it was "something better than Wolfenstein". I couldn't wait to get home and try this mystery game and sure enough :aaaaa:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Skeleton Ape posted:

I was in 6th grade and one day at recess my friend handed me a floppy with the shareware episode on it and said it was "something better than Wolfenstein". I couldn't wait to get home and try this mystery game and sure enough :aaaaa:

Doom was bigger than single floppy disk.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

i assumed skeleton ape was referring to chex quest

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, it might have been two. The shareware episode wasn't very big.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

The game didn't come out until I was 8 :(

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Remember in 2000 when Daikatana's first patch was like 50MB and the world about lost its mind?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

5er posted:

Remember in 2000 when Daikatana's first patch was like 50MB and the world about lost its mind?

Man the early 2000s were a dark age for pc games. So many games shipped in a completely buggy unfinishable state. Ultima 9 had a 650mb patch and they had to mail out CDs to customers. Derek Smarts bullshit desktop commander game didn't run for more than a few minutes at a time. Black & White didn't work on 99% of systems and only had about 10 minutes of gameplay.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Man the early 2000s were a dark age for pc games. So many games shipped in a completely buggy unfinishable state. Ultima 9 had a 650mb patch and they had to mail out CDs to customers. Derek Smarts bullshit desktop commander game didn't run for more than a few minutes at a time. Black & White didn't work on 99% of systems and only had about 10 minutes of gameplay.

Black and White was advertised like, Godzilla-tamagotchi, but that idea was lashed haphazardly onto a really poo poo RTS. The worst part about that game possible, was for the Peter Molyneux superfans that were filled up with all his development process lies about the game they thought they'd get.

I still had a good time with it, loading all my Outlook contacts from work into the game and hurling people I knew out to sea, while my monster baby clapped and guffawed with glee and amusement.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

ahahahaha Ireland doesn't even have a government at the moment
if you're giving government money to washed-up video game creators so they can make lovely games, it's no wonder why

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

100k in the first 12 hours, 20k more in the next 36. I can't see this getting more than 250k unless there's a Star Citizen crossover or something.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Rasmussen posted:

Heretic/hexen were the god drat super tits.

I never got to experience playing these games or games like duke3D with another player in coop. I always wanted to :smith:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

loving Battlecruiser 3000AD never ever started. This was back in the days of telephone directory manuals telling you all the cool poo poo you could do. I read that bastard for hours, dreaming of all the wicked cool stuff I could do if the game worked.
Never did get to play it but it could never live up to my fantasies anyway so I guess that's for the best. Got the thing for free, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Man the early 2000s were a dark age for pc games. So many games shipped in a completely buggy unfinishable state.

Trying to download the HL2 day 1 patch on Dial-Up was one of the worst experiences of my life. I think it took about 8 hours.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ethanol posted:

I played Pitfall when I was four does that count?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My first first-person game was Dragon Wars and the first time I played it I became so disoriented I stopped playing. Then some years later I got Doom (skipped Wolfenstein 3D) and the lightning-fast real-time first-person 3D almost made me puke. Luckily it was only temporary.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I had a PC Gamer subscription when I was a kid, because good luck downloading a 200 MB demo from your dial-up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oberleutnant posted:

loving Battlecruiser 3000AD never ever started. This was back in the days of telephone directory manuals telling you all the cool poo poo you could do. I read that bastard for hours, dreaming of all the wicked cool stuff I could do if the game worked.
Never did get to play it but it could never live up to my fantasies anyway so I guess that's for the best. Got the thing for free, too.

Battlecruiser 3000AD was literally unfinished when it was shoved out the door, apparently.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't see why everyone is tryin to make doom/quack again when you can play the originals with pretty much any game mechanics/graphics/level design you want from slaughterwads to romero's e1.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

I don't see why everyone is tryin to make doom/quack again

no one is doing this

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
John Romeros Doom Quake Commander

Load it up and it's just like your playing DOOM and or Quake on a 1998 PC!

There's health packs, power ups, ammo pick ups and enemies!

How does he do it? Look at the guys crazy hair! It's like an unrelenting tidal wave of passion and sexual energy!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

How the tables have turned on consoles. Good luck bringing home a disc and playing it without having to do a system update and day 1 patch.

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

Shaquin posted:

what a cosmic loving mane

i want to know his routine

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

notZaar posted:

How the tables have turned on consoles. Good luck bringing home a disc and playing it without having to do a system update and day 1 patch.

yeah, consoles seem waaay more inconvenient than PCs nowadays

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gobblecoque posted:

yeah, consoles seem waaay more inconvenient than PCs nowadays

heh, imagine how stupid youll feel in a decade :smug:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

inkajoo posted:

i want to know his routine

Masters of Doom posted:

"I always flip my hair over in front of my face and look at the floor while using a brush and hair dryer to slowly dry all my hair. Brushing downward while drying will help straighten your hair and completely drying it will make sure it doesn't kink up or curl up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Is he making a new night of the living dead?

• Locked thread