Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I feel like this guy lives because every lion assumes another lion is going to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Honda Point Disaster- this happened in 1923 when we weren't at war with anyone

Oops!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Mark Twain in Tesla's laboratory 1895

Early govt meme for some pill they made

The Punt Gun for shooting ducks (up to 50 at a time) was banned in late 1860s .... but not before the term became a meme "It wouldn't have happened if they had a punt gun" (re: Civil War, Slavery etc)

Early CIA "Photoshop Phriday" piece from the thread "What would Shitler look like now?"

The Finnish were attempting to put the shits up the Soviet soldiers here by putting a frozen soldier up as a roadsign

However, nothing poo poo up Soviet soldiers as much as their leader did (hmmm nice av idea this pic)

And finally, early testing of bullet-proof vests (found courtesy of ifuckinghatemyjob.com)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm fairly certain i've seen all these on Imgur in collections entitled "Rare Historical Photos That You Haven't Seen Before"

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

What amazes me about this picture is how it demonstrates the raw power of, what is now, a relatively small nuke. Look at the vertical column. See that dark shape on the right side? That is an entire destroyer being flung out of the water. 2,000 tons of iron lifted and tossed. Amazes me every time.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 26, 2016

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

i'm fairly certain i've seen all these on Imgur in collections entitled "Rare Historical Photos That You Haven't Seen Before"

JiveHonky fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 26, 2016

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

good

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Always liked this one of the Reims cathedral getting shelled during WWI, gently caress yo' church.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Columbine 99

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
i'm not sure if the original pictures exists any longer, but i'd like to see the pictures of the men's right activists who stormed normandy beach in ww2, but without the words "MALE PRIVILEGE" superimposed, as i feel like the unedited pictures conveys the Men Going their Own Way sentiment beautifully on their own

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

I have no idea what this guy is building, but it's probably super historical.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bundle of Keys posted:

You hosed up. Check the date on his pin.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Schwarzwald posted:

i thought that was a birthday badge for a really old guy

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Somebody tell From Software about that hat

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Bundle of Keys posted:

I guess Buddy Hackett had a day job

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

King Charles at his coronation

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Schwarzwald posted:

So, it will be historical. Records from this time are understandably fragmentary. This image either shows the initial construction of the 1,000th killbot factory, or the decommissioning of the very last sexbot factory. Both of these events will occur in the same year, and the jury is still out as to which one is the most depressing.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

I really wish this hairstyle would come back into fashion.

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~

genesplicer posted:

What amazes me about this picture is how it demonstrates the raw power of, what is now, a relatively small nuke. Look at the vertical column. See that dark shape on the right side? That is an entire destroyer being flung out of the water. 2,000 tons of iron lifted and tossed. Amazes me every time.

I've never actually noticed that ship before and I've seen the picture a few times. That's pretty ridiculous, honestly, just to see how it got thrown up out of the water.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Reminds me of Meal Team Six - "Taco Down!"

new super troopers lookin good

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Booblord Zagats posted:

The Battle of Spaghettisburg

The funniest thing I've read in a long rear end time. Thank you!

wiki posted:

Nickname(s) The Last Hussar, "Amerikanerfresser" (Eater of Americans)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_von_Mackensen

Dude looks like a badass.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

ChesterJT posted:

The funniest thing I've read in a long rear end time. Thank you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_von_Mackensen

Dude looks like a badass.

On 4 February 1940, Mackensen wrote to Field Marshal Walther von Brauchitsch: "As a man becomes older, he has to watch carefully that age has not reduced his creativity. After reaching the age of 90, I have decided not to involve myself any longer with matters that are not concerned with my private life. However, I am still the most senior German officer. Many turn to me, sometimes with wishes, but more often with their concerns. During these weeks our concern is with the spirit of our unique and successful Army. The concern results from the crimes committed in Poland, looting and murder that take place before the eyes of our troops, who appear unable to put an end to them. An apparent indifference has serious consequences for the morale of our soldiers and it is damaging to the esteem of our Army and our whole nation. I am sure that you are aware of these events and that you certainly condemn them. These lines intend to convey my daily growing concern at the reports that constantly reach me, and I have to ask you to take up this matter with the highest authority. The messages I receive are so numerous, many come from high ranking persons and from witnesses. As the most senior officer I cannot keep them to myself. In transmitting them to you, I fulfil my duty to the Army. The honour of the Army and the esteem in which it is held must not be jeopardised by the actions of hired subhumans and criminals. Sieg heil."[26]

Hahaha those last two sentences.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
My dad in the center.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

You could assemble literally all of the things that Macho Man ever wore and say "a man will wear these things and look cool doing it." No person in their right mind would agree with you yet there he is.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Booblord Zagats posted:

I laughed

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hiya boys~ :wink:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

You know what's better than seeing a girl wrestle?

seeing her box.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
The larger and more advanced sister ship to the ill-fated RMS Titanic; the ill-fated floating hospital HMHS Britannic in all her glory:

And in her final resting place in the Kea Channel after being sunk by an explosion from an underwater mine, killing 30 people:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i feel like people shouldnt be blowing up hospital ships :sigh:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Nooner posted:

i feel like people shouldnt be blowing up hospital ships :sigh:

They were not aiming for a hospital ship, specifically. However, the area was heavily mined, and Britannic struck one. Some interesting facts:

1. The ship had MANY improvements in design, due to the loss of its sister, Titanic. Despite this, it managed to sink in less time.
2. One thing that contributed to the sinking was the fact that hospital staff (against regulations) had opened many of the portholes, especially lower-level ones, to air out the rooms for the wounded soldiers who would be arriving. When it began to sink, the open portholes allowed even more water in.
3. The ship was long (Over 800 feet), and the water reasonably shallow (less than 300 feet), so that the prow of the ship hit the bottom while the stern was still above water.
4. The bridge crew attempted to ground the ship on nearby Kea island. This meant that the props were going at top speed as the ship sank. This did a couple of things:
A. It forced the water in the open portholes even faster.
B. It caused most of the casualties. Normally, ships stop moving when launching lifeboats. But due to some miscommunication, boats were launched while Britannic was still moving. Since it was nosing down, the props became exposed and one lifeboat (Along with the humans aboard) was drawn in and shredded.
5. Violet Jessup was a nurse on Titanic. She survived, and was serving as a nurse on Britannic when it sank. By coincidence, she also served as nurse on the Olympic, first of the three sister ships, and was aboard when it struck the British warship HMS Hawke.
6. The ship sank when it was heading into the warzone, and was thus loaded with only crew and hospital staff. Had it sunk on the way back from the warzone, fully loaded with battle wounded, the death toll would likely have been in the thousands.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

genesplicer posted:

Since it was nosing down, the props became exposed and one lifeboat (Along with the humans aboard) was drawn in and shredded.

:stonk:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd gently caress all these historical females

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'd gently caress all these historical females

Even Eleanor Roosevelt?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
especially Eleanor Roosevelt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

especially Eleanor Roosevelt

hell yeah

i'd storm that beach

i'd let her pump prime me

i'd hoover her dental dam

i'd pack her supreme court

i'd show her my new deal

i'd let her give me brain trust

I'd probably even give her a reacharound.

• Locked thread