Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
I usually get Blizzard Storm since Fire and Thunder books are best saved for stoves, but I voted for Thunder for some reason. I guess it's more immediately useful, even if the pattern is the worst of the three.

Question for the OP: There a reason you didn't check the beach? I've read that some of your stuff can pop up there when you die... I usually just reload so I'm not sure how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bob Locke posted:

I usually get Blizzard Storm since Fire and Thunder books are best saved for stoves, but I voted for Thunder for some reason. I guess it's more immediately useful, even if the pattern is the worst of the three.

Question for the OP: There a reason you didn't check the beach? I've read that some of your stuff can pop up there when you die... I usually just reload so I'm not sure how it works.

I've checked it a few times, but nothing's turned up yet. Might be because I didn't lose stuff that could turn up there, or you have to do the Head Mage quest first, or just plain bad luck. Either way, I'll be showing it off, even if I have to intentionally suicide a few times.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fireball is the best choice because Chocobos must burn everything to the ground.

Embrace destruction by fire.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Fireball is the best choice because it's a ball of fire. Well, more like a square of fire but that's close enough.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lightning, because you fried a malboro into a lightning god with it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm gonna have to vote for lightning, out of a personal preference for the element, the immediate usefulness, and the fact you admitted we can kind of just grind our way to victory and Ifrit later.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how they're not afraid to use the idea of Kwehry as a magical creature, what with the boost feathers and all.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Ok, Thunder Cross just sounds like a hardcore name for a skill.

Though, I think that some basic wizard style Fireball is a good idea. 'Cause who doesn't love Fireball? It's why you play evocation mages.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I voted for Thunder Cross because it has the coolest name. Also lightning is sometimes shown as yellow, and Kwehry is yellow.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Hmm. We've got more posts in support of Thunder than votes for it.

Anyone who hasn't voted in the poll should do so soon.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

And that's that. Despite a rapid surge in popularity, Thunder Cross was unable to steal Fireball's lead.

Update should be coming either tonight or tomorrow.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

The thread has spoken, and Kwehry's destiny is to be an engine of fiery destruction.

Now that we've gotten our feather from the Head Magician, we can help Biggs with his stove problems.

That's twice now we've had to electrocute someone to help them remember basic information. In Biggs's case...

Dumbass tried to start a fire with Blizzard.

: Hm, I owe you my thanks. Because of you, I can use the stove properly soon. Oh yeah, aren't you the one that has the peculiar ability to see your powers as feathers? Allow me to give you a feather as a token of my appreciation. Pick the one you like.

To be honest, I forgot that he gave you a feather here. In the interest of not bogging down the LP with too much voting, I went with Aero All.

Much like the previous three, these two enable certain spells to hit a wider area. In this case, instead of hitting a nine-square area, they hit the whole room.

Biggs will also let us use his stove, for 300 gil each time. Needless to say, having the ability to combine items without needing to find stoves and use spellbooks is very helpful.

Speaking of equipment, our Edged Collar from earlier is a cursed one. Burden collars increase Kwehry's rate of energy use.

Chubby Chocobo doesn't care, though. He'll buy cursed gear just as readily as normal stuff.

And that's our business in town done for now.

Cid meets us back on the first floor.

Teleport Boxen will let Kwehry send something from his current inventory straight to storage. Assuming storage isn't full.

As tempting as it may be to kill the enemies in a room before flipping the switch, sometimes it pays to do it the other way around. He turns into a potion, by the way.

Kwehry demos Areo All here. While he's starting to get the tornado down, he's still lacking the lasers. :v:

Fireball is less of a fireball, and more of a bonfire.

:stare: Up on the fourth floor, we get the rare drop off an Imp. Mirage Saddles have a high dodge.

Even though it's cursed, it'd still be worth it to equip.

There we go, got the essence.

Oh, and a new enemy, too.

The Onion's special ability is to remove Kwehry's equipment. They don't have essence, but they can drop haste or slow tonics.

Hey, a stove! Kwehry lost his anti-silence saddle back when he died, but he does have a spare Mage Essence sitting around in storage. In the meantime, we can start with a plant essence for poison prevention.

Do you see the elevator in this shot? Because I sure didn't when I was playing. :v:

Up on floor 8, we find ourselves a gnome.

They bury landmines. More annoying than dangerous. They have two rare drops, both collars. One reduces Kwehry's rate of energy depletion, and the other makes sure he never dodges a trap.

Well, that'll come in handy.

Oh. :smith:

Oh, is that what I think it is?

Jesus gently caress, Cid, that could have been nasty.

Starting in Cid's Tower, there will occasionally be stores in the dungeon. Much like other roguelikes, stealing from the shop is possible, but not recommended.

Because the shopkeeper is the grim loving reaper.

No. Just no. While it's technically possible to kill him late in the game, it's not worth it.

Especially since a dead Store Keeper can still mind the shop and punish shoplifters.

Thankfully, he's treated as an NPC instead of a monster, so trying to attack will result in him chatting with Kwehry instead.

Floor nine is another catwalk maze, but this time with a platform that rotates when Kwehry hits a switch.

And another new enemy type!

Thugs can steal items, and will try to run away upon doing so. If you kill them before they teleport out, they'll always drop it. Otherwise, they'll use their normal drop table.

They can only steal from Kwehry, so if you're gunning for a thief key or a collar, try getting your partner between you and them.

Oh. Whoops!

Yeah, the tier-2 rollers are kind of awful. Their drops aren't great, and they're pretty tough for this stage of the game.

Rollers will start to self-destruct once their HP gets low. If you don't kill them before that, you'll feel it.

Floor ten. Almost there.

They cast Drain. They drop Drain books. Their essence causes Mini. Apparently they like to pick on Tonberries. Speaking of...

Tonberries are pretty generic here. They stab a bit harder than most enemies around here, but not enough to be worrisome.

Their essence boosts crit/special defense when combined, and restore a lot of energy when chugged, so finishing them off with bottles is usually a good idea.

:stare: We've got a summon stone and a collar.

And we've got enough gil to afford both. :getin:

Summon Stones are your typical Final Fantasy-style summons. Use it, a thing shows up, does a big magic attack, and fucks off. This one here is Ifrit, so we'll probably hold onto it for a while.

The collar is un-ID'd. We'll find out about it later.

The tenth floor of Cid's tower is unique. Instead of being one 4x3 grid of rooms, it's two different, but connected, 2x3 areas.

With a park area in the middle. Cid knows how to build. :allears:

: But why're there so many of those Imp varmints?

: Oh yeah, there's no reason ya'd know that...

Oh, hey there, dragon.

: So who are ya?

: I? I am Bahamut, the keeper of time. Having found the existence and power which should not exist in this place and time, I have come.

: What are ya ramblin' about? The Imps are saying what?

: They aren't the source, but merely its servant. But it is certain they are trying to make that power complete. Beware. I have yet to find out the truth of this matter. The power, the Imps, and the meaning of the girl's existence.

I'm just gonna spoil right now that showing up at random, rambling a bunch of crap about time, and then loving off is Bahamut's thing in this game. He'll be doing it at least once per dungeon from now on.

Oh well. We'll be finding out more later.

See you next time!

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Is now a good time to talk about a unique feature of this floor, or should it wait for the next update? That aside, Tonberries don't show up in elevatorless room.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

and this floor is modeled on the outside of cids tower when he first appears in his glorious tank.

Game is legit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't wait to see how the plot of this game would be far easier to solve if Bahamut actually said what the gently caress was going on instead of being unneccesarily cryptic, as it often happens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, if we're right where Cid was chilling out on his tower, what more is there to do?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Get to the other side of the tower silly. We're in the middle.

Man, I just discovered and blasted through this thread. I had this game as a teenager and was a big fan of it, as my name might indicate. I wasn't very good at it however, and only managed like 3 or 4 more dungeons tops. Not having any idea about what did what with the sidequests or with the crafting system didn't help. This was in the days before GameFAQs you see.

Also I was so disappointed that this version of Cid is only in the PS1 Chocobo games, never appearing in the later fables games, and instead having some cocky Bishonen guy there instead.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Cid has a vending machine in his picnic area. It sells Octopus Essence, which restores a bunch of energy. It's also used in a sidequest coming up.

Because of the way the tenth floor is structured, we can backtrack through the garden area to keep on generating new floors. Usually doing that is more effort than it's worth, though.

FloatEye Essence adds sleep resistance to our saddle. Combining status-resist saddles directly (i.e. mixing a No-Poison saddle with a No-Sleep saddle) results in the final saddle only having one of the two resists. Status essences are not only more common, but allow the output to keep all of the status and element resists from the donor saddles.

If you learn nothing else about this game from this LP, make it that. Always combine saddles with status/element essences.

Hmm. This might be bad.

Or not. :v:

And here we've got a spinner trap. It unequips Kwehry, and if he stands on it, he'll start to kick stuff in random directions.

It can even remove cursed gear, so it's... something?

The twelfth floor has a maze in the middle, with rooms in the four corners. A decently-tough pair of Digging Claws trivializes this floor.

All burn.

The Guard Collar makes Kwehry immune to theft. Thieves will still waste their turns trying to steal.

The 13th floor is the final normal floor. It spawns Imp Robos as regular enemies.

Oh. :smith:

But we do get our final new enemy type.

When at low HP, they curl into their shell and gain a bunch of defense. They also only drop gil when shelled. Turtle Essence causes slow when drank, but increases toughness when combined. This sounds great, but remember that combining equipment averages the toughness of the two inputs, so you'll need to build up the toughness of both pieces of equipment before combining.

We've taken a bunch of damage from the Imp Robos, and have no healing items. Better to flee than die, especially late in a dungeon. Plus, we have a bunch of stuff to take care of in town.

Now our saddles are uncursed!

And there's some excitement in Chef LeTonberry's restaurant. Can we help the goblins find love?

He's willing to pay us 500 gil for a summon stone.

Sorry, Ifrit. Maybe I'll summon you next time.

Gobbie is less than thrilled, though.

The chef here wants to make them a special meal, but needs Octopus Essence to do it. Not that he ever tells you what his special sauce needs.

Our saddle gains some more defense, and resistance to Mini. The other stats take a hit, but we'll be able to fix that later.

The back of Chubby Chocobo's shop has some boxes. Before now, there was a third box that blocked off access to the corner.

We'll be making very good use of those stairs as the game goes on.

: Hey, hey, hey, you finally found it?

: I was thinking of building a shortcut to Cid's place to make business easier. Of course, I was going to have Cid help out. But for some reason I haven't seen Cid lately... So, I just completed it all by myself.

As we explore the current dungeon, Chubby Chocobo will have a shortcut that lets us skip the lower floors.

The catch: The shortcut is, essentially, a mini-dungeon. Filled with enemies, and with no loose items. Still, being able to skip a whole bunch of floors is great, especially when you're just trying to kill the boss.

The first time you use the shortcut, though, there's a special event.

And he asks for a Teleport Tag so he can get home. Kwehry's not a jerk, so let's help him out.

Continuing on, the shortcut takes the appearance, music, and enemies of the dungeon it leads to.

The shortcut floors usually have two exits. One goes to the dungeon, the other leads to another shortcut map.

In Cid's Tower, the shortcuts go to floors 6 and 11.

You're also on your own in the shortcut. This can be a good thing if you're trying to gather essence.

Back in town, it turns out that Chip, the hamster there, is Gamedon's pet. Now that we've rescued him, he's much kinder to us, and doubles our storage capacity for free. He'll also boost the DUR of our equipment, for a price.

Since most things in town cost money, it's not a bad idea to hit up the first floor of Cid's Tower and kill some cacti.

Welp, looks like we've got a good base for our claws, now.

Not a bad haul for just the first floor. :v:

Since claws can't have more than one status effect attached, elements are far more important for them.

At least until later in the game, when certain other special effects become available.

There's a few more sidequests in town. One involves visiting the beach after having died, but doesn't seem to be active at the moment. The other involves this tree.

It's easy to see why most people avoid this one. You can give feathers to the golems, and occasionally receive nuts from the tree.

Not the greatest reward for the cost, but it's still a sidequest, so....

Farming wooden equipment for Dodge UP/Miss DOWN feathers to feed the tree is... not terrible, I guess?

Before we can get our reward, though, we'll need to head back into the dungeon.

See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh man we're finally going to get some nuts!

Or have we been eating them all this time and you've been holding out on us?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It blows my mind seeing someone figure out how to game the system in this game. Like I said, when it first came out, GameFAQs and the like weren't really a thing, so everything was guesswork, and it being a roguelike, the game doesn't really encourage guessing. If you know what you're doing, clearly the game becomes far better...

(Also, sidenote, Chip is a series regular! )

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

Oh man we're finally going to get some nuts!

Or have we been eating them all this time and you've been holding out on us?

From back in the first dungeon, even. :colbert:

(most of my dives since then have been too short to worry about food)

Choco1980 posted:

It blows my mind seeing someone figure out how to game the system in this game. Like I said, when it first came out, GameFAQs and the like weren't really a thing, so everything was guesswork, and it being a roguelike, the game doesn't really encourage guessing. If you know what you're doing, clearly the game becomes far better...

(Also, sidenote, Chip is a series regular! )

Oh yeah, I knew none of this crap as a kid. Everything was solved by kicking it and chugging potions.

Related: I remember this game being a lot harder then than it is now. :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you want to simulate the true childhood experience just add 3-8 dungeon runs between each sidequest leg.

Chocobo's Dungeon 2 doesnt explain poo poo. I gotta give it up to this game, unlike any other roguelike I've ever played this can be bruteforced.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

If you want to simulate the true childhood experience just add 3-8 dungeon runs between each sidequest leg.

If you want to simulate the behind-the-scenes experience here, do the exact same thing. It's amazing how much gets cut out when you're only showing the interesting/exciting parts. :v:

Speaking of...

Welcome back!

When we left Kwehry, he was visiting the tower in order to pass the time for a sidequest reward to be ready.

Saving up 3000 gil to buy some octopus essence probably won't be a bad idea, either.

Welp. That's a collar, on top of a landmine.

Thankfully, the game is kind enough to attempt to pick up the item before destroying it.

Unfortunately, I forgot that my inventory was full. :v: Oh well, better dump something so that this doesn't happen again.

On the next floor up, Kwehry finds some new equipment! Order Claws are interesting. As the description states, they attack behind Kwehry in addition to in front of him. Interesting, but not very useful.

So, Thief Keys. They can be used to open those gray treasure chests that are scattered around floors where thieves spawn.

Much like with Sealed Chests, they usually have good loot inside. Hey, what's that down to the south?

Oh, good, a shop. I can dump some of this crap, and get the gil for the ess-

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Welp, there go the Order Claws and that one Shiva stone I picked up off-camera.

Well, that makes up for the one that got exploded, anyway. :v: Time to go reload the floor until I can get some more loot to se-

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that makes it all worth it.

And a second one on the same map. Still no new shop or salable loot, so gently caress it, I'll get the essence the proper way in the next dungeon. For now, back to town to check up on that tree.

Remove Seeds remove special abilities from equipment. Woo.

Admittedly, they can be helpful if you put a special effect on a claw and you can't replace it with something else.

All right, enough loving around, let's go murder us an Imp boss.

We could break this for Quake All, or combine it to put earth resist on our saddle. I'm leaning toward the former, as the latter can be down with any saddle and the right essence.

:stare:

:sigh: Can't get frog resistance until next dungeon. This is seriously the fifth or sixth time Kwehry's been frogged in the past five floors, too.

Oh well. Not much else of note happens on the thirteenth floor, so let's take that elevator up...

The fourteenth floor is mostly cutscene.

: Huh!? No doubtin' that's...!

And he runs off. The chest here has a hi-potion, so it's a good idea to grab it.

: I didn't htink they'd get it this far. This is my machine. I call her...

Default name is "Cidtank", even if Cid's been renamed.

And up we go...

So we've got a crazy old man in a hand-made tank facing off against imps in mecha. This game knows what to do. :allears:

(Boss music! It's pretty good.)

: Kyahahaha. This tower will be ours. And we shall prepare for his revival.

His default attack is to launch spiked balls on chains, which hits through a few squares, so be aware of his reach.

Granted, Lndmstr also has a long reach, and the cannon deals splash damage around the target.

Kwehry, though, has other plans.

:getin:

The mooks have a lot more health than the usual Imp Robos, so this doesn't immediately level them. They can also drop bombs around the arena, but I didn't really get a good shot of that. :v:

Also not shown: Kwehry chugging a Thief Essence to get Haste.

Kwehry went into this fight with 12 Thunder books.

And the final one is used to finish off the boss. Going all-out with spells that hit the boss's weakness is always a good strategy.

The big thing to remember with this fight is to keep out of Lndmstr's way. That cannon will hurt you just as bad as it hurts the imps.

Also opening the fight with a hasted barrage of lightning magic tends to help. :v:

: Yep, and it's all thanks to yer help. I'll do ya that favor now.

Amnesia Tonic: Not Even Once.

: What? Ya want me to take ya back to the village so ya might remember? Jeez, what a pushy fella! Guess I can't say no, though. If I go, the village folk will all be scared, though. Well, shall we get a move on?

: Howdy, little lady. Ya look well.

: I'm doing all right. Oh yes, I heard he went to ask you to borrow your submarine. Can I get a ride, too? I'm still concerned about that dungeon...

: I see. That was what ya were supposed to ask me.

Welp, nothing can go wrong now! :v:

Sadly, the name is always "Cidmarine", not $CID_NAMEmarine.

Before we get on the boat, though, we've got some business back in town.

: This feather also lets you pick the effect for the usually random Cantrip Book.

Phew. Let's go over these in order.

Slow is amazing. Anything that isn't immune moves at half speed for a long time, enabling Kwehry to kill them before they can attack, or escape if he's in danger.

Sleep is also good. More things resist it, and the duration is shorter, but anything effected is shut down completely for a few rounds.

Confusion is the schadenfreude option. While is lasts longer than sleep does, it doesn't shut enemies down as effectively, and there's the chance that an effected enemy will kill another and level up.

As before, please vote here, and feel free to discuss your choice in the thread.

See you next time!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That link goes to the results of the poll, erase /r to let you vote.

Also I'm voting Slow because FF games where status effects are worth a drat are very rare so one must take advantage of that when it happens.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Is there a Final Fantasy game where Slow isn't the best status effect? :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kobold eBooks posted:

Is there a Final Fantasy game where Slow isn't the best status effect? :allears:

FF13 where poison is.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Well then, if you're all going to be so generous... :v:

Kobold eBooks posted:

FF5, where instant death is. :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's also FF2, where Frog is the best status effect. It can even hit the final boss, and that's an insta-kill in FF2.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Edward_Tohr posted:

FF5, where instant death is. :colbert:
Thank you for indirectly reminding me what time of year it is.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's also FF2, where Frog is the best status effect. It can even hit the final boss, and that's an insta-kill in FF2.

Technically it can't hit the final boss, the ANIMATION can hit the final boss, and that's what carries the effect. :ssh:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Man, I loved this game as a kid. I don't think I ever finished it, let alone discovered... almost anything about the mechanics?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Amazingly, I only forget I have this a few times in the upcoming section. :v:

Over by the statue, Ben seems to be a little worried about his artwork.

Sadly, "some talent" isn't an option here.

But Kwehry can tell the behemoth that his stone statue sitting outside on the dirt doesn't quite smell earthy enough.

We'll, uh... we'll leave him to that. In the mean time, we've got ourselves a Cidmarine to ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJlLdg_ai4 (Polsy link)

I've been playing this game since I was a kid, and I only just now noticed the mountain in the background there.

And we get a good view of Cidmarine.

Cid wasn't kidding when he said he'd been wanting to take her out for a spin.

Dagger feels the need to laugh at the excited old man.

I gotta say, of all the ways to board a submarine, having it extend its arm as a bridge is pretty cool.

You'd think the claws would give Kwehry better grip, to stop him from slipping like this.

Ouch. Good thing there's a white mage around. :v:

Oh dear. Good thing there's a mechanic around?

Cid is... not taking this so well.

Thankfully, Kwehry spots something useful.

Yep. Deus Ex Chocobo-sized Diving Gear.

That, uh... That doesn't look good. (FMV ends)

Kwehry's all about that dungeon.

: Something good happened?

: How did I get here, you ask?

: You say you swam and swam until you found the dungeon's entrance? Hee hee. You wonder how I made it here when you had to swim so far? Well, let me explain.

And she leads him off-screen.

Oh, that explains i-

Hang on. Kwehry and Dagger were to the submarine's right.

Meaning they started on the side where the dungeon was.

: In a rush, we grabbed on to the submarine's arm and then that's what happened... We didn't even need that big thing after all. You made such a big deal about it, too.

: Well, let's go then.

: To the dungeon, of course. I'm going to solve the secret to that dungeon no matter what. Well, let's be careful.

And she just waltzes on in, leaving Kwehry to follow her.

Tune in next time, where we finally get to (re) explore this dungeon!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's such a cute little cutscene.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Land Turtles make a reappearance from Cid's Tower, but the octopi are new.

They can squirt ink to cause blindness. Blindness doesn't seem to affect Kwehry's hit rate at all, just blanks out anything more than two or so squares away.

They're common, and we can harvest their essence for the next step in Chef LeTonberry's sidequest. Or we can drink it to restore some energy and HP.

We also find Sahagins on this floor. Merman Essence is our first elemental essence, adding Ice to claws and saddles. Needless to say, stacking elemental resistances on our saddle is a great way to reduce damage.

They have two rare drops. The Ice Saddle is a decent way to pick up Blizzard Storm or Shiva, but the Waterwalk Collar is the more interesting one. It lets Kwehry walk across water, which is handy in the upper floors of this particular dungeon.

Speaking of this dungeon, it's a long one. Kwehry will be needing to eat to keep up his energy.

It's always nice to see traps that do nothing because of Kwehry's saddle.

Oh. Whoops.

A Sealed Box nearby gives Kwehry his first Spell Book. Much like Cantrip books, Spell books start out with only the "random" option until you obtain certain feathers.

Also like with the cantrip books, now that we have one in our inventory, the Head Magician will be giving us a feather when we speak to him again.

Kwehry's gotta eat.

Mild nuts wind up being Tasty nuts this time. Kwehry's good on energy right now, but the HP restoration is welcome.

In a treasure chest, we find this. Kwehry still hasn't found any identify cards yet, so we'll refrain from equipping it.

On the fifth floor, the dungeon changes to an underground maze. We also get some new enemies.

Bombs have a lot of HP, and if you take too long to kill them, they explode. Their essence adds fire.

Thankfully, even though Kwehry's claws deal fire damage, enemy elemental resists don't apply to physical attacks. Enemy weaknesses on the other hand.... :getin:

The upgraded Hedgehogs are a good source of Critter Essence, which restores energy.

Other than that, though, they're pretty well outclassed by this point.

While exploring the floor, Kwehry identifies Dispel Tonics. Since we have a few in our inventory already, we can take a chance with that collar we found.

With the collar...

... and without. Looks like we've got ourselves an uncursed Burden collar.

The sixth floor goes back to the rooms and hallways style.

And adds some more new enemies.

Puppeteers can attack at a distance with their bird, but they much prefer to summon other monsters.

Kwehry takes a chance on a Tasty tonic, and it winds up backfiring.

Although we do find this +1 Flame Saddle here, in the same room as a stove, even.

Right now, I'm more concerned about durability than two points of defense.

Plus, in theory, the elemental resists will help to make up for that.

Tag! Hidden in an out-of-the-way area! Aww, man, my inventory's been full since I started this dungeon, this'll be so help-

Oh. Well screw you too, game.

Bomb Essence restores a lot of energy when drank, so I figured I'd slow this one and try to get some.

Certainly because of the energy restoration, and not at all because I forgot that Kwehry already has fire on both his claw and his saddle. Why would you even suggest that?

And then Dagger just straight-up murders it.

Thankfully, the partner AI isn't always the greatest. Even though she could attack the Bomb from here, she'll instead move back to be adjacent to Kwehry.

At which point she'll see a nearby enemy, move back to this square, and repeat the cycle. Tricking your partner into not killing enemies that you're trying to get essence from is just as important as getting them to help you kill things when you're not going for essence.

Rotten nuts deal 10 damage, but restore 10 energy.

The eighth floor is a magma-flavored variant of the first floor. But magma is not water, so the waterwalk collar is still useless here.

As usual, with a new tileset/layout, we get some new enemies.

Magmen are invisible until you approach them, at which point they glorp up out of the ground and attack.

They're also the first enemy type we've encountered where each level drops a different essence. Magman Essence adds fire to equipment, and restores a tiny amount of energy when drank.

Kwehry's inventory is full, so he starts eating some of the nuts he found in Sealed Boxes earlier on in the dungeon.

LevelDown nuts cause Kwehry to lose a level. They can be kicked at an enemy to downgrade them, as well.

Amusingly enough, the very next un-ID'd nut is this one. LevelUp nuts cause Kwehry to gain a level, and can be kicked at monsters to upgrade them.

The next floor introduces yet another new enemy.

Puddings, interestingly enough, are the tier-2 version of the Flan enemy. Pudding Essence is identical to Magman Essence. Being gelatinous monsters in an RPG, they divide if not killed quickly.

Torn Cards turn out to be Identify Cards this time.

This is the first one we've found in this dungeon so far.

The tenth floor introduces another staple Final Fantasy monster.

Magic Pots do not behave like they usually do, though. Instead of demanding elixirs and rewarding you with lots of points of various flavors, here they teleport around like jackasses and throw potions at enemies.

They can also drop gil.

Finally, we add Ice to our claw.

Against something not weak to fire or ice, we do about 30 damage.

Stacking elements on your claws is very helpful.

The eleventh floor brings another new tileset, another new song, and, as usual, some new enemies.

Weak to ice, so our new claw will deal a lot of damage. Lamia Essence causes confusion when drank, but has a unique effect when combining.

Well, we got this card from a pudding. Let's see what it does.

Divide cards will halve the bonus of a piece of equipment, but give you a duplicate copy.

Mind you, if your inventory is full, the duplicate will just silently vanish into the aether.

Which seems like a good place to call this update. See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess the divide card is for if you've got a sweet piece of gear but also want the boosts from when it breaks?

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009
Love this game but never really took the time to look into the mechanics and would always just strong arm my way through it. Glad to see you playing it and explaining everything. I'm looking forward to following the thread.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

So, this update is a little late. Why?

Reasons.

Anyway, when we last left Kwehry...

Ahh, right. Divide card plus no room in inventory.

Well, whatever. +3 attack isn't so big a deal, especially when you can hit an elemental weakness.

When polymorphed into a Lamia, Kwehry can use their confusion-inducing attack. There is only one monster type that Kwehry can transform into and retain their natural spellcasting ability.

On the one hand, it's probably best to save these until the end, since higher levels require more XP.

On the other hand, gently caress that noise. Kwehry's gonna eat that poo poo ASAP.

I don't remember if I've discussed Arc claws before. They hit the three squares in front of Kwehry, making them slightly more useful than the front-and-back attacks of the Order Claws.

If you give a multi-way attack claw the earth element, it'll still only dig out the square directly in front of Kwehry.

On the thirteenth floor, things start to get hairy.

Ogres do what ogres always do: hit like a truck and have tons of HP.

Oh, and they don't have an elemental weakness to exploit.

Still, Dagger pulls her own weight here. And then some.

Kwehry switches to the Arc claws for a little while, since the elemental mythril ones are about to break.

Identifying harmful potions early on in a dungeon isn't a bad idea, since you can just dump them out on the floor and take the empty bottle.

Turns out that one of Kwehry's un-id'd nuts was this. Wisdom nuts pick a random element...

... and level up Kwehry's skill with that element. Handy!

Also handy is that Dagger's heal scales with her level.

Oh, and we get upgraded black mages now.

With only 10 HP and no defense, these guys pose no threat as long as you can damage them before they get their spells off.

The fifteenth floor is a special one, and our first visit here gets us a cutscene.

: Doesn't seem to be any movement... What is going on...?

Oh, god dammit.

: However... you are a mysterious organism.

: Meeting you here again must be...?

Bahamut is a jerk here and not even looking at Kwehry.

: Who are you?

: I? I am the keeper of time, Bahamut. Young lady, you must turn back.

: What are you talking about?

Ahh, so the titular Mysterious Dungeon is time-displaced. Good to know.

: It's best just to live in the village without knowing. The villagers' doubts will pass. As long as they do not awaken...

: What do you know about this?

And this is our explanation for why Bahamut gives cryptic hints all the time. He doesn't know what's going on, either. Doesn't excuse the pronoun game, though.

Oh, goddammit, Bahamut, now Dagger's ellipsising. Quick! More adventuring will cure her!

The sixteenth floor brings with it yet another new tileset.

Oh, and these fuckers.

Neons will, when near-death, go possess another enemy, which levels them up. Yes, they can possess other Neons. If not near death, they'll float over the bottomless pits on the floor and cast lightning at you.

In short, gently caress Neons. They don't even drop any essence.

Oh, thank gently caress. My inventory is full of un-ID'd crap. Mostly Repair cards.

Dagger isn't doing so well. She's been doing a lot of tanking, both because Kwehry is low on healing items, and because the Neons can attack from anywhere.

And yes, their quote changes based on their health.

loving Neons, they don't even need to be on-screen to possess something.

Ahahahahaha, gently caress no.

See ya!

Back in town, we've got a few more sidequests to progress on. Starting with this one, where we get to choose a feather for our Spell books.

Fans of the Final Fantasy series will recognize these spell names, but let's recap them anyway.

Gravity does a fixed percentage of the target's HP as damage. I haven't actually used this one very much, so I don't know if it goes off of current HP or maximum.

Meteorite pelts one enemy with space rocks. It hurts. This is the only feather I've actually made use of in my various runs through this game. Because space rocks.

Doom doesn't summon a grim reaper, but rather causes instant death. Y'know, probably.

Flare is another powerful magic attack. Presumably it ignores defense, as it typical for it throughout the series.

Bio deals damage and causes poison. Again, probably.

Vote here. I'll try to make it a point to use these books more often.

See you next time!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RNGesus has instructed me to vote for Flare!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
drat it people, we need to summon space rocks on our enemies heads and make them lament the day they were born :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kemix posted:

drat it people, we need to summon space rocks on our enemies heads and make them lament the day they were born :argh:

I don't believe you understand the gravity of this vote.

• Locked thread