Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Meteorites drop down to earth due to Gravity. If they're big enough, they can Doom the Bio-logical life on the planet.

But I voted for Flare :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
I've got a bright idea, let's choose Flare.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think Meteors are cooler though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Casting a lonely vote for instant death, because it's likely to work within roguelike constraints.

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009
Casting my vote for Flare

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Welcome back!

Looks like we'll be picking up Flare! And we didn't even have to deal with Omniscient's react:physical bullshit!

Before we do that, though, let's go through the other pre-recorded footage that I skipped over to get to the feather choice early stuff Kwehry needs to do in town.

Most of the other dialog stays the same, but there's usually something new for dinner.

Ben has been mulling over our "earthy smell" comment for a while now.

Thankfully, all he wants is a Quake book.

Next time we enter and leave the dungeon, we'll be able to progress on this sidequest some more.

Over with Chef LeTonberry, we finally have the Octopus Essence he needs to make his special dish.

Kwehry picks up a Fusion Seed from the tree. Using this, if Kwehry combines two claws or saddles with special effects, the resulting equipment will have both of them.

Usually, anyway. Some abilities are hard-coded to not work with this.

Speaking of combining....

With the undead essence we picked up way back in the first dungeon, Kwehry's saddle now grants immunity to confusion. All we have to worry about now is frog and slow.

Thief Essence is interesting. It adds the "Gil" special ability. Which sounds good, but giving any enemy a tiny chance to drop a small amount of gil isn't exactly game-breaking.

Whoops, accidentally chose pattern 1 here instead of pattern 2.

Enamel is a right jackass of a special ability. It does nothing, but it still takes up the ability slot and is difficult, if not outright impossible, to remove. If we switch over to pattern 2, however...

The Remove seed here removes the Arc from our arc claws, letting the Gil ability take its place.

Sadly, the Fusion seed won't let us gave confusion-inducing mug claws.

Lamia Essence will cause the output of combining to be a Brandname item.

Which, it turns out... is pretty good!

Brandname items can also be broken for some powerful feathers, which we'll hopefully be seeing a lot more of in the next dungeon.

And here's the claw we wind up with at the end of this cooking spree.

Chip continues to sell storage capacity upgrades.

Since we need to jump in the dungeon real quick to progress sidequests, might as well take the chance to repair Kwehry's equipment.

Having a good elemental claw really does wonders against enemies with weaknesses, especially on the earlier dungeon floors.

In addition to Waterwalk collars, Kwehry can also walk across water by being polymorphed into a waterwalking creature, or by being a frog.

Oh. This floor is easy, I guess. :v:

The third floor here actually has two down stairs. One, seen here, is isolated on a small island, and usually requires a form of waterwalk to get to. The other is located on the main area.

The difference between the two branches?

A unique underwater tileset!

Oh, and the Devilfish gain a theft attack.

100% worth it, every time.

Especially when the game gets generous.

Aside from the tileset, the underwater branch just uses the usual underground layout that we've seen in the first dungeon.

The Gil effect in action!

... yeah, I'm not terribly impressed.

Well, that was enough farting around down there. Time to head back to town.

Visiting Ben again, we find that the area's shaking.

I'm sure you all can see where this is going.

And we've got our second summon feather.

... come to think of it, I still haven't used the first one yet.

Anyway, Ben heads home, and next time we enter and leave the dungeon we'll be able to help him out there.

In the restaurant, things are looking up for the goblin couple.

Apparently hash, eggs, and an octopus soul is the recipe for becoming the Buddha. Who knew?

... As usual, there'll be yet another step next time we come back from the dungeon.

Once Kwehry's bought the 30-item storage capacity, Gamedon's shop gets a lot bigger.

As does Chip's house.

And with that, there's not much left in town to do, so one more quick dive....

... through Chubby Chocobo's shortcut...

... And we might as well kill two birds with one stone here. The absolute easiest way to break a claw is by giving it the earth element and tunneling through the walls.

As may be expected, low-level Digging claws give us the Quake All feather. Higher-level ones would give us Titan, but we've already got that covered.

The deepest we can go with the shortcut right now is floor 17. Since ogres still hit like a truck, this involves some creative solutions at times.

Anyway, that was just to see how deep we could get. Back to town!

Ben needs a Crash Stone this time to clean up his house.

Back with le Tonberry, his business has picked up, and now Gobbie's working as a waitress. There's also a juice bar downstairs.

And yet another fetch quest. Who ever would have thought.

Anyway, we give her a spare plant essence we had laying around in storage.

:stare:

According to the item description, Dragon Essence is "Good for combining".

And before we end this update, we've got the basement of the Black Mage Lab to explore. Examining the statues here gives some info on the enemies they represent.

Even including a characteristic quote.

And that seems a good place to leave off for today.

See you next time!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Preemptively requesting a compilation of the statue pics, quotes and all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, shovels would break pretty quick. Can you get other feathers that way, or do they wind up being earth-element since you have to put that on the claws?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Derek Barona posted:

Preemptively requesting a compilation of the statue pics, quotes and all.

This is exactly why I keep a save with all the statues unlocked already. :v:

Glazius posted:

Oh yeah, shovels would break pretty quick. Can you get other feathers that way, or do they wind up being earth-element since you have to put that on the claws?

You can slap earth/dig onto any claw without changing its base type, so keeping a few digging claws around for combining purposes is a great way to get a bunch of feathers.

There's a few things we can pick up in the next dungeon that help the process along even more, though, so we'll be waiting until then to do the really broken stuff. :v:

Update should be up later on tonight.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

With our new feather in tow, and all of the sidequests waiting on another dungeon dive, let's get right to it.

Hopefully we can make it through the whole thing this time, too.

Watch out for the Puppeteers, they can attack from outside spellbook range.

And since we've had a request for it, I'm going to be showing off the enemy statues from now on.

The green face lists elements they're weak to, and the red one shows what they resist. The number next to dwn is how many times they've killed you, while KO is how many of them you've killed.

I should note that the screenshots here will be taken from a postgame run, so those numbers won't match Kwehry's actual stats. :v:

This place is kind of a clusterfuck.

As expected, the fire-type enemies are both weak to ice.

Kwehry is just too drat good at one-shotting Lamias to get more essence. Whoops.

Each of the three tiers of enemy has their own quote, so I'll be showing off the first-tier ones when we meet up with their stronger palette-swaps.

Oh hey, that Jelly is new, though.

Jellies are wind-elemental Mousses. They are one of the few enemy types that drop different essences depending on their level. Said essence adds Wind to equipment when mixed, so Kwehry grabs two.

... Oh yeah, there's that other green rear end in a top hat.

Don't worry, we'll be meeting more Blue Hulks later.

And here's the Pudding, for completion's sake.

Huh. Never knew that Magic Pots could float.

Pretty accurate to their AI.

I wonder if Dagger's attack is Holy-elemental?

It'd explain why she's doing more damage than Kwehry against these guys. (for now)

Frog and slow are the only two ailments our saddle doesn't protect against yet. Needless to say, Kwehry gets hit by both of them.

One amusing thing about Frog, though, is that it allows your physical attacks to cause it. Frogged enemies will flee until it wears off, making it useful to buy yourself some time to breathe.

Every single one of these is important and worth showing off, dammit!

Kwehry's gone four whole floors without a snack. Even with his energy collar on, that's still 13 whole points of energy he was behind!

Excellent, another new trap type. This is the pitfall trap. What it does....

Is drop you down a pit. Pretty self-explanatory.

This also has the side effect of actually moving you to a lower floor, which is a mixed blessing. In my case, these catwalk floors in this dungeon suck rear end, so I'm glad to skip them.

In Cid's Tower, since you're going up, pitfall traps actually move you back a floor instead of ahead. And they don't show up at all in dungeons that go horizontally, like the next one.

Also, yeah, gently caress exploring this floor. Neons and ogres are the worst.

And we get another change of scenery, enemies, and music!

Zombies can breathe on you for different ailments, much like skeletons. They're also innately slow, so they're not much to worry about.

Normally we'd've seen these guys on one of the catwalk floors guarding the stairs. However, I lucked out and was able to gently caress that noise. At least down here, they come one at a time, instead of four at once.

They're as boring as they are annoying. They don't even have the decency to be weak to wind, like most other flying Final Fantasy monsters. If you hadn't grabbed wind element from the Jelly essence earlier, these guys's Wing Essence does the same thing.

Well now, this bodes well.

And just like that, we've added earth and wind to our claw's elements. Holy and Lightning are a bit trickier, though, since no essence grants those. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

And between the 21st and 22nd floors is this rear end in a top hat.

So gently caress it, I'm calling the update here. Dude's just gonna ramble on and this update has enough images in it as is.

See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, characters don't seem to ramble a lot in this game but Bahamut certainly seems determined to pick up the slack.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Really wish I understood all the equipment and essence mechanics when I was younger. Instead, my sister and I just played co-op, and we broke the game with the partner's free movement mechanics. Slow, but effective!

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Black Balloon posted:

Really wish I understood all the equipment and essence mechanics when I was younger. Instead, my sister and I just played co-op, and we broke the game with the partner's free movement mechanics. Slow, but effective!

Speaking of which, I was meaning to ask about that. Does it just slow things down to a crawl because you have to do each individual movement, and does it let you do cool things like Ramuh using Thunder when you want to?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
All of this actual use of stoves is showing me how far behind the curve I really was.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

AmewTheFox posted:

Speaking of which, I was meaning to ask about that. Does it just slow things down to a crawl because you have to do each individual movement, and does it let you do cool things like Ramuh using Thunder when you want to?

The chocobo player moves as normal, and all turns are keyed off that player's movement. The partner player gets to move around totally freely, and moving does not use your turn. When Choco moves, you get one action charged up, so you can move an infinite number of times, hit an enemy, then walk off scot free. I think you can only attack when you're within a few squares of Choco, but it still means that Choco is free to infinitely kite all enemies by walking away one step at a time, and just letting the partner take a shot then walk to safety. Done right, there's very little reason to ever take damage in most situations.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

AmewTheFox posted:

I gave it a quick test and... no, none of the partners can do their special action when controlled by the second player.

curiousCat posted:

All of this actual use of stoves is showing me how far behind the curve I really was.

Ahaha, and I haven't even begun yet. The next dungeon will make that clear.

... Admittedly, that's because I need some essences we can't get until then to really break poo poo. :v:

----

Welcome back!

I imagine that this scene would be a lot more confusing if you manage this dungeon in a single run, considering we last ran into him six floors ago.

: You dare come here after all. Do you plan to find what this realm is?

: Of course that's what I plan to do.

: I see... I am the keeper of time...

As far as excuses for dribbling out the plot bit-by-bit go, "Hey, I'm still trying to figure this poo poo out, but here's what I've already found out" is passable.

That said, you'd think the freaking Keeper of Time would be aware of major time-travel events, y'know, as they happen.

: The future?

: Yes... The distant future. There, humans like you have built an advanced civilization. This dungeon was built by them as a weapon.

: A weapon? Why would they...?

: They were fighting against him...

Don't worry, we'll be getting a name for "him" soon.

I have to wonder what it was about Bahamut's text that made the localizers give up like they did.

: However, as a way to revive the dead, they built this weapon. Their lust for technology pushed them to the point where they could build a time-traveling device such as this.

Yep. Imps. Those are the evil future-enemies that beat the crap out of the future-humans, even with all their future-weapons.

: That must have been the downfall of their civilization... The humans were defeated in their last bastion and prepared for the worst.

: That man was one of the creators of this weapon. That man planned to dimensionally transport his newborn child... To a time where there was no war...

: The dimensional transfer was disturbed by him and it failed. Then the unthinkable happened. This weapon, him, the Imps, and even that child were brought to this time...

: They were put to sleep in this dungeon and you were raised by the villagers.

: ...

: I can't tell you to turn back. That is your decision.

And then he just vanishes, as usual.

: ... Let's go.

So, to recap what we know now:

In the future, humans have advanced technology. Imps, led by some unknown entity, start attacking the humans, and wreck their poo poo. Humans build a giant fuckoff dungeon that's also a weapon and a time machine. The Imps manage to take it over, anyway, and invite their leader along to the victory parade.

Meanwhile, some dude gets the bright idea to chuck his newborn daughter into the time machine and send her into the distant past. Imp Leader fucks with the time travel (somehow), and winds up taking himself, the dungeon and the Imps back in time with the newborn Dagger.

The child somehow made it to the village to be raised by the monsters there, while the dungeon was sealed away with the Imps and their leader inside. Everything was fine and dandy until the dungeon reappeared, along with its inhabitants, which turned the villagers into racist fucksticks. And then Kwehry and Riposte found it, and that's where the game began.

And then a bunch of poo poo happened and now we're fighting palette-swaps of enemies that were introduced earlier in the same dungeon.

For comparison's sake, here's their tier-1 form again:

This dungeon really stops loving around once you cross the halfway point.

Like their previous forms, Necromancers can summon other monsters on the level. As the name implies, most other monsters on these levels are undead.

Case in point.

Mummies have an energy-drain attack. And they're typically found deep in long dungeons, where running out of energy is an actual concern sometimes. Like all undead, they're weak to holy and fire.

So let's do just that.

:getin:

The summon animations in this game tend to have a lot of fullscreen effects, which makes giffing them hard.

But yeah. Kwehry sends everyone to Mars, where Ifrit flies up, chucks Kwehry out of the way, and sucks the enemies into a black hole that somehow does fire damage.

The 24th floor returns us to a familiar tileset.

Familiar-looking enemies, too.

Undead, so fire and holy are the ways to go. Posion breath can be annoying, but our Saddle protects against it.

They can drop poison, which causes poison.

Since Kwehry's saddle is still poison-immune, drinking this tonic does nothing. I don't quite know how that works, but I'm not complaining.

Once again, we get a cutscene between floors. Dagger still seems distracted after having heard about her origin.

Bam! Skeleton out of nowhere! Again!

... Oh poo poo, it actually hit her this time. :ohdear:

: I'm okay...

This game likes to have characters doing stuff while the screen is fading out. Which is kinda nice when playing, but makes screenshotting it difficult. Especially with Kwehry shaking his head at Dagger again just as the screen is fully black.

And we get another change of scenery for this cutscene.

It may look pretty from in there, but marine snow isn't something you'd want to catch on your tongue.

: I'm okay, I'm okay...

That wound seems pretty serious.

: ... Can I ask a strange question?

"Kwehry, do you think love can bloom, even in the dungeon?"

We actually do get one of the game's few remixed songs from the main series here.

Thankfully, Dagger just wants to ask why we hang out with a jerk like Riposte.

: Do you like him?

: Why?

: So you don't know, either... Of course... I knew I was... adopted... I kind of sense I was different. Not because I'm human... but something else. But, Mrs. Bomb, the Head Magician, Ben, Chubby Chocobo, Cid, they've always been nice to me, from the time I could remember. I've lived in the village ever since...

: So that's why... no... I'm not making it an excuse, but... I'm just fond of everyone in the village.

: Isn't it the same with you and Riposte?

: To have the feeling of wanting to care for someone. It's simple, that's all. I don't mean that it's insignificant. Just... you don't need a reason.

In retrospect, naming her Dagger was a good choice. :v:

: So it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter when or where I was born. It doesn't even matter what I may be. ... They say I'm from the future... but I don't know...

And off they go. Off-screen, Dagger apparently remembers that she's a white mage, since her wound here never comes up again.

But we've had enough talking for one update, and there's more coming up shortly.

See you next time!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
And now we're officially ahead of the farthest I ever got.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I appreciate that a scene involving the white mage and talking about feelings uses music that was originally used for scenes involving a white mage and talking about feelings.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, to be fair, what could you do with the knowledge you're the last scion of an extinct future race?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Despite the cutscene dump from earlier, we've still got a little bit of dungeon left to explore here.

Well, that'll be helpful.

... As will that stove.

And now our saddle resists wind!

... in retrospect, I probably should have waited for a frog or slow essence. Oh well, it means we don't have to carry that Jelly Essence around anymore.

Life Nuts are interesting. They boost Kwehry's max HP by one.

Still screenshotting every single Carry Tag. :colbert:

And on literally the last step before the boss, we find a familiar face.

Malboros are another Final Fantasy staple. Thankfully, their Bad Breath can only cause confusion here, which our saddle protects against.

If you missed getting Plant Essence from Cid's Tower, they do give you another shot at it before the next dungeon.

The 27th floor here is our boss floor.

: Did you say something?

Oh no.

: I, the Great Ultros, haven't had this kind of dinner in quite a while...

: What!?

Kwehry actually moves at running speed to get between Ultros and Dagger here. It's a neat touch.

Oh yeah, and also boss time.

The tentacles move and attack independently, but all they can do are physical attacks. Ultros himself prefers to attack with Drain, as his statue quote suggests.

Thankfully, being aquatic enemies, they're weak to lightning.

Or possibly not, we'll see.

We start by nuking him from orbit.

Followed by roasting in a black hole.

And then we unload our Sylph stones.

As may be expected by the wind summon, they attack with a giant-rear end tornado.

Interestingly, all of the summons did 255 damage across the board here.

Meanwhile, when Ultros's attack managed to connect, he did about 40. Still, his 3000 HP is more than enough to outlast our summon stones, so it's time to bust out the rest of the spellbooks.

Literally, in this case. Flare may not be spacerocks, but exploding the gently caress out of an enemy is cool, too. :v:

Plus, the feather we get from low-level Brandname items breaking is Meteorite, so we can get that one easily anyway. :ssh:

On our last Quake book, we hit level 9 for Earth. This means that, instead of casting Quake, we now cast Quakara.

And we're actually on-track with most of the others, too. Kwehry still has about 20 or so Fire books, and enough Thunder books to cross the threshold.

Sadly, Ultros ran out of HP before we ran out of lightning. Oh well.

: Awww, c'mon... How cruel...

That... that is one way of putting it.

Down the stairs, Dagger seems to recognize this place.

Then again, this place is pretty recognizable.

: It collapsed, what's it doing here? And it looks like everything is new again... like it's alive...

Sadly, the door is locked. Guess Riposte won't be getting his crystal, after all.

Dagger starts looking for a switch.

When suddenly, she's surrounded by enemies that she could one-shot by now!

Kwehry might be quick, but he's not quick enough, here.

Oh dear.

And here's the enigmatic Imp Leader guy, Gla-

... Hang on. Glass Goth? That's... that's really what they're going with? Really?

That's really what they're going with. Okay.

And they warp out.

And Kwehry is just barely too late. :smith:

: I, will destroy, everything... this, world, this, time...

And then that motherfucker buggers off, too.

Well, at least there's something shiny here.

Ahh. Dagger's Pendant. I'm sure that'll never be plot-important. :v:

But this update's gone on long enough. See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, crud. Looks like time has caught up to us.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I want to believe Glass Goth is a misromanization of something, but I can't think of what, so it might really be what they intended. If so...that's one villain I'm not taking seriously any time soon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

...I had no idea Ultros was in this. Goddamn. Now I wish I had tried harder to get better at the game...

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Last time... things didn't go so well.

Kwehry doesn't answer.

: ... What's up Kwehry?

And Cid just barges in and exposits in the form of a question.

: Who are you, man?

: Let's just forget about that fer now pardner.

: That Bahamut fella came to see me... Says the monster he was talking about was the one who kidnapped the little lady.

Cid takes exactly zero poo poo from Bahamut.

: He even had time to point me in the right direction: Snow Mountain. It's up ahead in the cavern.

: Hah! Serves her right. She deserved it.

Cid also takes zero poo poo from Mrs. Bomb, but in a more respectful manner. :v:

: Of all people, you should know that little lady isn't like that.

: Just what are you trying to say?

: Nevermind ma'am.

: So Kwehry, yer goin' too right, little fella?

: It's gonna be a hard trip through the forest and mountains. Ya still wanna go?

: I'll wait over yonder, outside the village near the forest entrance.

And he heads off. But before Kwehry joins him, we need to prepare. Which includes a nap, of course.

It's been so long since I've used the regular save for this game, I forgot it handled multiple files.

Anyway, the forest is just north of town, and our ultimate destination is that ominous-looking spiky mountain in the background.

... And no, the text boxes don't look any different. It's not like I switched to a more accurate emulator at this point into the update. Don't be absurd.

So, here's the forest. The music is just some ambient noises not included on the OST. Off to the left, our first new enemy is visible.

Mamons drop gil sometimes. That is the most interesting fact about them.

Worms, though...

Worms can put their targets to sleep with their ranged spit attack. It's pretty nasty.

What makes them particularly notable, though, is their essence. We'll talk about that later, though.

Malboros are also found here. This one drops his Calm Saddle, which is polite of him.

First things first, though. We add silence resist to our increasingly-ridiculous saddle.

And then we combine it with that Earth Saddle from way back when.

Worm Essence is great. It not only acts as a Merge Seed, which combines elements instead of overwriting them, but also boosts the bonus by one. Our saddle is now only missing two elements and two statuses. The statuses we can take care of very shortly, but holy and lightning can't be added via essences.

Which, now that I think of it, is probably intentional on account of every boss being weak to one of those two.

We've completed the Restaurant LeTonberry sidequest. Our final reward, after the Dragon Essence?

A jukebox that plays a selection of music. Most of them are pretty obvious. "The Quest for Items" being Riposte's theme, "Within Tenderness" being Dagger's, and "Cid! Cid!" being Cid's.

They did slip in a subtle pun here, though. "Doom is my Rival" isn't the frantic piano piece that plays when Doom is chasing you. Instead, it's Chubby Chocobo's theme. Y'know, the only other shopkeeper in the game.

Back at the tree, we get a Merge Seed. Also known as the boring half of a Worm Essence.

Back in the Behemoth household, it looks like Ben's wife has finally returned.

Yeah, his wife walked out on him, and his response was to abandon his only child and go hang around a statue wondering what "earthy" smells like.

Back in the dungeon for a bit. Hmm. Those claws are kind of expensive.

Good thing we have Earth on our existing claws.

There. That wall is looking a lot less solid, now.

Tunneling using your main fighting claws is usually a bad idea, since it chews through the durability like crazy. But it'll be worth it.

The game does stop you and make you close a dialog prompt before you leave the store. Why?

This is a Roguelike. Shoplifting is a very Bad Idea.

The track is appropriately titled, since it only plays when one particular enemy is on the map.

What, you thought the literal embodiment of the concept of death would play fair?

As if one wasn't bad enough, every enemy on the map is transformed into one of these guys. Including all the dead ones.

And before you get any cute ideas, trying to use a Teleport Tag just results in him saying "I see..." and nothing happening.

The one saving grace you have is that all flavors of Doom require several turns to charge up their attack.

Not that that makes it easy to avoid them or anything.

Still, with a bit of preparation and luck, escape is possible.

Poor Cid got one-shot, though.

The exit is in sight! Taking the stairs is the only way to escape once Life Keeper is after you.

See you later, shitlords!

Once you've left the floor, there's nothing stopping you from teleporting out as normal. Or continuing on, if you feel like it.

But that'll be it for this update. See you next time!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god, the shopkeepers. Kecleon in the MD series is not someone you want to gently caress with and these guys look even worse. At least you can run away, but it's a great way to give an important aesop: stealing is bad and you'll get loving murdered for it.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I never pay for poo poo from doom shops. Secure the escape and steal everything!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wouldn't be a proper roguelike without an inadvisable-but -possible theft from a shopkeep.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Today, Kwehry'll be tackling another sidequest.

Step one involves putting all his valuables in storage.

Step two involves dying. A lot.

There's a beach in town. I haven't brought it up much since there's usually nothing there. But for every two times you die...

... There'll be a treasure chest!

... Not that it always has actual treasure, mind you.

Since I'm planning on dying anyway, there's no harm in chugging random tonics on the ground.

Oh. Well, now I have an empty bottle to fill from the spring.

And survey says....

Yep, another one. Figured that was amusing enough to warrant showing off. :v:

Seeing as how you have to walk right past the storage on the way to and from the beach, there's no reason not to stash useful stuff.

Oh dear, Cid's gotten himself confused. Well, that shouldn't be a pro-

Welp.

Hey, now that's useful. X-Potions restore all of Kwehry's HP, making them great lategame panic buttons.

And finally, once we pick up our fifth treasure, we finish the sidequest.

Oh hey, it's Sylph!

: What a great person!

: What a great person, picking up all the trash that's fallen in the ocean!

Kwehry ain't in it for the environment, he's in it for the loot.

And even then, the only reason he's in it for the loot is because sometimes the loot is food.

: It's decided, I'll help you out! 'Till we meet again!

C'mon, Kwehry, you've gone through this twice before.

Anyway, now we can have Sylph follow us around. Hooray. Time to go find something else to do.

And that something is "go explore the dungeon a little more".

Toads can Frog you with their special attack. Their essence causes Frog, which means it'll be going into our saddle as soon as we get some.

Unfortunately, they also have the uncanny ability to get killed by things that are not bottles.

On the very next floor, though, Rock Slugs appear.

Slug Essence causes Slow. Rock Slugs leave puddles of slime around as they move that cause slow when you step into it. They can also eat items.

On the next floor, we once again meet up with our old friend.

Still hits hard, still takes a beating, still has no other gimmicks.

Oh dear.

As above, but with larger numbers. Hey, I have an idea.

Hey, Titan! Go meatshield for us!

Good Titan!

Summons can be dismissed if you don't want them hanging around. Which is good, because if they die, you lose their feather.

Titan here got hit once.

Yeah, I'm not hanging around Ogre Woods without a buddy.

See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ogre Woods? Oh lord, are they just leveling up off each other all the time?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

Ogre Woods? Oh lord, are they just leveling up off each other all the time?

Inter-monster fights happen painfully often in this game. Like right away even. Luckily Edward knows his way around the game, and knows when using a teleport tag is smart.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
*sees ogres* *sees his friend is dead KO'ed* "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out. I'll drag his corpse home if I gotta."

Nice little update as per usual.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

This'll probably be the last update on this page, since it's starting to take loving forever to load.

We only need, what, eight more posts, counting this one?

----

Welcome back! This update is brought to you by the letters v, i, and m.

Let's start off by adding slow resist to our saddle, before heading back into the dungeon.

loving finally! Now if only I had a goddamn spare saddle to mix it with.

One telport tag later, and we're back on dungeon level 1. Say, what's that switch do?

Oh. Well, it gives Kwehry an excuse to train his magic some more.

And we've unlocked Aera, just as we ran out of Wind books!

Oh. At least we've got some other stuff.

Like fifteen goddamn Blizzard books sitting around in the inventory.

On the next floor, Kwehry finds a shop. Still no saddles, but those Drain books are tempting.

And a Malboro drops this for us. Contrary to some other roguelikes, the shop here only owns the items it spawns with, and anything you explicitly sell it. Drops and other items that just wind up in the shop are owned by Kwehry.

And now everything but Drain is at its tier-2 form.

And the game makes sure you know it. The animations get bigger and flashier, and the damage jumps up more than usual for going up a spell level. We'll probably be hording the rest of our fire books for the boss, though.

Because holy loving poo poo, that's a Flare and a half's worth of damage right there.

Blizzara isn't hitting a weakness, but it's still doing over 100 damage.

And Thundara, for completeness's sake.

The AoE attacks all get new animations, too.

Pausing our destructive rampage for a moment, Kwehry finds some new claws. Lite Claws have a high Energy stat, which reduces the rate of energy depletion, but they're not terribly strong on their own.

Still, they might be useful to keep around, if only for the +2 enchantment.

Oh, Cid got frogged.

Oh poo poo, Cid got frogged!

They're a bit more annoying than regular toads, but nothing to worry about.

On the seventh floor, we leave the marshlands and enter the caves.

Oh, and some new tunes.

Oh, hey, Moles!

Moles can tunnel through the walls. Their essence adds earth. Had Kwehry not picked up an Earth Saddle, this would've been the next best source of that resist.

Sadly, the slug got to those claws before Kwehry could.

Fuckdamn frog traps! :argh:

And I can't even use this poo poo until Kwehry unfrogs.

And now this rear end in a top hat is chasing me around.

All right, there, now he's trapped in that little hole, and I have enough time to hop around and wait for Frog to wear of-

Of course.

Sure, why loving not? Let's have a goddamn Ogre and frog party!

Thankfully, the very next step is when Frog wears off. And Kwehry has just the tool for the job.

loving rainbow tornado, bitches!

Oh thank gently caress, finally, a stove!

gently caress you, Ogre!

Choke on Flares in hell, you bastard!

... Anyway, here's our current saddle. Y'know, for demonstration purposes.

And here's what happens when we put Frog resist onto it. The Ribbon saddle is the reason I've been harping about all of the status resists you can put onto a Saddle via essence. Not only does it help by, y'know, making you immune to most status effects, but it also turns whichever saddle you were putting them on into a base 14 defense, max level 60 beast.

In short, the Ribbon is just as good here as it is in any other Final Fantasy game.

Anyway, let's ID-by-use this wooden saddle, see what sort of bonus we can g-

gently caress.

Well, I've got two Jiggly Tonics, and I know they're not potions or Hi-potions, so chances are good they're dispel tonics.

Causes brain damage, and apparently quite tasty. What's in those Amnesia Tonics, anyway? :tinfoil:

After that, I think Kwehry deserves a nap.

Tune in next time, where we'll hopefully make some actual, measurable progress into the dungeon!

:s :save :sav :help save :!google how the gently caress do you save in vim

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Ribbon is always a great thing to see in Final Fantasy games and it's good to see this one is no exception. Too bad it's still a saddle, it'd be cute to see Qwehry with a ribbon on his head. Not like the items show, but you know, if they did.

Also the Moles look cool. I wouldn't hurt the Moles, I'd ask them for tips about fashion.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ribbons: Because gently caress status effects.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ribbons are your best friend.

Unless there are not status effects to be had then they're just pretty.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

It's no exaggeration to say I've been planning this since the start of the run.

Edward_Tohr, almost fifteen updates ago posted:

Mage Essence adds silence to it. Status effects in a claw will cause the effect, and in a saddle will prevent it. In general, status resists are far more useful than status adds, especially since claws can only have one status effect at a time, while saddles can resist all seven, and even gain a defense boost for doing so.

In short, this basic Wooden Saddle is going to be our endgame defensive gear thanks to combining.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that particular wooden saddle that wound up becoming Kwehry's ribbon, but the theory holds. :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How cute would a chocobo wearing a ribbon be? Unfortunately I didn't find any such images on google...

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Actual progress! At some point!

I never saw the Ribbon saddle ever.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
So the Saddle just turns into a Ribbon type? I'd probably want to stick with a Brandname Saddle that has all but one status immunity then, since I don't think the Brandname feature can be added to other items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
But then that one status effect will nail you hard and cause a spiral of death and destruction that leaves you saddle-less, destitute and washed up on the beach.

Then you will look up and see that Marlboro laughing. Laughing at your hubris.

• Locked thread