Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

But then that one status effect will nail you hard and cause a spiral of death and destruction that leaves you saddle-less, destitute and washed up on the beach.

Then you will look up and see that Marlboro laughing. Laughing at your hubris.

All this sounded very Dwarf Fortressy.

Someone do a Chocobo Fortress mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

All this sounded very Dwarf Fortressy.

Someone do a Chocobo Fortress mod.

For a minute I thought back to Boatmurdered, but with Chocobos.

I can't stop laughing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the name "Ribbon Saddle" just makes me think of Kwehry as the prop for some glam-rock album cover. Neat to see that you can create special titles through the application of various gear, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the name "Ribbon Saddle" just makes me think of Kwehry as the prop for some glam-rock album cover.

:frogon:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the name "Ribbon Saddle" just makes me think of Kwehry as the prop for some glam-rock album cover.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How cute would a chocobo wearing a ribbon be? Unfortunately I didn't find any such images on google...

Never before have I been so failed by Google.

EponymousMrYar posted:

But then that one status effect will nail you hard and cause a spiral of death and destruction that leaves you saddle-less, destitute and washed up on the beach.

Then you will look up and see that Marlboro laughing. Laughing at your hubris.

And always asking for just one more Thunder Tome.

Jegan posted:

So the Saddle just turns into a Ribbon type? I'd probably want to stick with a Brandname Saddle that has all but one status immunity then, since I don't think the Brandname feature can be added to other items.

I'll be honest, I've never actually gotten the full set, so I don't know how good the alleged boost for equipping all three Brandname items is. Or if mixing a Ribbon with some Lamia Essence brings you back to a Brandname saddle.

----

Welcome back!

We've spent enough time loving around in the woods. Time to actually make some progress.

Amnesia Tonics are terrible to ID-by-use. Having an identified one in your inventory whenever you go into a dungeon is a great way to avoid accidentally chugging one.

That said, there's other ways to get hit with amnesia later on, so it's not a foolproof defense.

Anyway.

Between the ribbon saddle and pre-IDing Amnesia tonics, it should be safe to drink pretty much everything else from the spring.

Damage and Nitro tonics are really the only actively harmful things now. Well, as far as tonics are concerned. Cards and nuts are still kinda risky.

Oh yeah, Morph tonics, too.

:stwoon:

Since there's no essence that adds Holy, Holy Claws and Saddles are great finds.

Doubly so since you can break them for some very useful feathers.

Hmm. This might be nice to have, but there's no way I can afford it. And since this is a water level, Kwehry can't even dig through the walls.

Toads to the rescue! Since their attacks can cause Frog, and Frog lets you cross water, they can help us pilfer from the shop.

In retrospect, I probably should've looted the rest of the shop while I was there. :v:

It also helps that the path onwards is right nearby.

Oh. Oh well, it's still 2000 gil when we sell it.

Starting from the tenth floor, we get deeper into the woods.

Hey, new enemies!

Werebats are notable for... uh... being bats? Dropping amnesia tonics?

Yeah, I got nothin'.

Oh, hey Ben! How's it going?

Oh. You're not Ben.

Behemoths have less attack and defense than Berserk Ogres, despite being found later in the dungeon.

They've also got a bunch of HP, but that's to be expected considering, y'know. Behemoth.

Kwehry's picked up a bunch of equipment along the way.

On the twelfth floor... is that an elephant?

Elephants, like wild rats, can haste themselves. If you've ever seen an elephant go on a rampage, imagine that, but twice as fast.

And that's why you want to murder these fuckers before they get their buff off.

We've also got the ice-elemental flan. Nothing of note.

At the end of the thirteenth floor, we get a cutscene.

Cid, being Cid, starts hitting the ice wall with a wrench.

: It's no use. It won't budge.

: Just who are you!?

Oh, it's just Mrs. Bomb.

Which, granted, we knew from that first text box, what with it using her text sound effect and all. :v:

: Whatcha doing here? This's no place for someone like ya to be. It's dangerouns just getting here...

: Hah! Don't make me laugh. You think I'd lose to a bunch of sad monsters in that dungeon?

Look, when this game came out, this line didn't quite have the same connotations it does now.

: But why all the way here...?

: Stand back...

: Wha?

: I'm telling you to stand back! Are you deaf!?

: I gave it everything just to get here. I'm just not cut out for the cold. I'm a fool. But... that child is more of a fool. It doesn't matter what the rest of the villagers think. She's just a stranger, right? I just decided to care for the human child on a whim. But she tries to keep her smile. Even though she's miserable, she hides it. I don't know, I just don't know why, but looking at her like that made me even more mad. I don't want to blame that dungeon. I don't want to believe that I am such a weak woman. Except... I sense it, I can feel there is something ahead of here. An entity so much in pain, so vengeful that it makes you feel wretched... If I can feel that, then I'm no different than those trapped monsters after all. And I can't leave that child in that place. I won't be able to see her miserable smile again. I can't have that.

: Well I'll be...

: You're Kwehry, right? You'll be okay. Even if you go on further, you won't get taken in by the dungeon. You're the same as her. You know the true meaning of caring for others.

Wait, that's not good.

See you next time!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 30, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A Bomb's gotta do what a Bomb's gotta do.

I mean, you could just keep casting fire on the ice to mel- oh.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

A Bomb's gotta do what a Bomb's gotta do.

I mean, you could just keep casting fire on the ice to mel- oh.

That hurts on so many different levels.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
MISS MOM BOMB DON- Well gently caress...anyone in the audience with a phoenix down?

Also, you repeated the Collar screenshot over the Holy Claws one.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kemix posted:

Also, you repeated the Collar screenshot over the Holy Claws one.

:ninja: I have no idea what you're talking about :ninja:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Whoa. I did not expect that.

Also, reading that description for the elephants, I can't help but feel terrible that we have to kill them...

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I... never saw that...

How awful.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Edward_Tohr posted:

:ninja: I have no idea what you're talking about :ninja:

:argh: Don't you act like you don't know what you done did! :argh:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
The boost for two Brandname items is x1.5 to the equipment's Attack or Defense, three is around x2.25. That includes Pluses, so while level 0 equipment only gives +5, that's slightly more than a Ribbon's base defense, and it improves faster too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. What it must be like being a bomb. Living every day, just wondering, is this it? Is this finally something I need to explode for?

Mrs. Bomb is at peace, now.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Glazius posted:

Man. What it must be like being a bomb. Living every day, just wondering, is this it? Is this finally something I need to explode for?

Mrs. Bomb is at peace, now.

http://www.dorkly.com/video/43849/voltorb-doesnt-want-to-die

I imagine for most of them, it ends like this.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I forget. What do the feathers do again exactly? And why you need so many of them? You use them like tags to get permanent effects? You need the feather as a spell to cast the spell and the books are the ammo?

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Feathers basically give you abilities that help out in the long-term. Some of these are stat-ups or other passive buffs, others change how you use spellbooks, and others still are summons you can bring in to help out in a pinch as a subcharacter!

They're pretty neat. You usually get them when a piece of equipment breaks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh god, the shopkeepers. Kecleon in the MD series is not someone you want to gently caress with and these guys look even worse. At least you can run away, but it's a great way to give an important aesop: stealing is bad and you'll get loving murdered for it.

This is a few updates old, but shopkeepers come in three varieties in roguelikes: "I can kill this once I'm strong", "this isn't worth the effort to kill", and :gibs:. Doom Reapers and Kecleon both veer more towards the latter two circumstances. Hell, all the Chunsoft Mystery Dungeon shopkeeps lean towards that. Shiren the Wanderer's are doubly awful since they block the exit when you pick up an item and you don't have easy access to wall-break technology like in this game.

Kinfolk910 posted:

I forget. What do the feathers do again exactly? And why you need so many of them? You use them like tags to get permanent effects? You need the feather as a spell to cast the spell and the books are the ammo?

Feathers are essentially character traits. You don't use them, once you gain them they're passive boosts, red feathers aside.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

This was the wrong thread, I hosed up, ignore this post.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Kinfolk910 posted:

Feathers do various things, depending on the color. Orange spell feathers essentially upgrade your spellbooks, either by making the spells hit a wider area, making the spell more powerful, or giving you more control over a random effect.

For instance, the feathers for the normal elemental spells turn them from single-target to an AoE. The feather for the Drain book just makes it do more damage. Feathers for the Cantrip, Spell, and MegaSpell books let you pick the effect you want, instead of rolling the dice.

There are also feathers that boost Kwehry's base stats, such as attack, max HP, and crit and dodge.

Finally, you've got summon feathers, which replace your buddy with a summon. These cost energy (food) to use, and if the summon partner dies, you lose the feather. On the flip side, if they die, they also use their summon attack, so it might be worth it in certain circumstances.

Finally, any feather can be fed to the tree in town, which helps it grow nuts and seeds. This would be useful, but essences tend to do most of what nuts and seeds can do, only better. Still, it is a sidequest, and I'll try to max it out before the end of the game.

KataraniSword posted:

This was the wrong thread, I hosed up, ignore this post.

Not only am I not ignoring this post, I'm quoting it in an update post so it'll get preserved on the Archive forever. :colbert:

----

Welcome back!

Last time...

Mrs. Bomb helped Kwehry and Cid get past an impassible ice boulder. But at what cost?

... Huh.

Even Kwehry and Cid don't quite know what to make of this.

: What's that look for!? D-did you all think I was going to die or something?

Yep, Mrs. Bomb survived her own dramatic sacrifice through the sheer power of pragmatism.

And also ancient family techniques to split yourself into two smaller clones and explode what's left of your original body.

... I bet she just used a Divide Card and kicked a Nitro Tonic, now that I think of it. :v:

: A-anyway, hurry it up!

Kwehry and Cid share a nod...

... and head off to the icy mountain portion of this dungeon.

: Good luck...

We get a nice twinkly, snowy-sounding song for the next part of the dungeon. Also, a few new enemies.

Vultures tend to keep their distance, only swooping in to attack if Kwehry's low on HP. If you haven't gotten Wind on your claw or saddle yet from the Jellies or Gargoyles, here's another shot.

And the ice-type flan. Nothing of note to say about these guys.

Once again, Kwehry's full up on items.

The 17th floor here is special, starting with the entrance being sideways.

Much like with Cid's tower, there's a small, empty, fixed map here.

Complete with a cabin. If you take the shortcut up here, this is where it dumps you out.

Unfortunately, since it's considered a different floor, you can't use it to repeat the surrounding maps.

Oh, hey, another new guy.

Like the behemoths and ogres before them, titans are big, tough, and hit hard. On the other hand, they can cast quake and are weak to wind, so at least they're a little less boring.

In any other roguelike, this would be a moment of panic.

But Kwehry doesn't have time for any of that. There's exotic nuts and seeds to find and eat! And also new enemies to discuss!

Like the Magman from earlier, but ice.

At the end of the 18th floor, we find a cave entrance.

And we've got ourselves a nice cave area to spice up this part of the dungeon.

A spooky haunted cave! :ghost:

Like Neons, they can possess another enemy to level them up, and cast lightning at you. They're weak to wind and holy, but not fire.

If you haven't gotten a lightning-resist saddle, don't get hit by Thundara.

Oh dear.

Y'know, I have the sneaking suspicion that summon magic is bugged.

Icemen (Icemans?) can drop verify cards, which ID everything in your inventory. These are great to get, especially if your inventory is full and you need to figure out what you can drop.

A second pair of Holy Claws! Now we have one to break for a feather. I'm still looking out for a third pair, or a divide card, though, since both of the feathers you can get from a Holy Claw are fantastic.

And before this, Kwehry also picked up another Mythril and Wood claw.

Jesus poo poo, another pair already? I would say this update has been good for me, weapon-wise, but that's all been on one floor.

Kwehry eats a Tasty nut, more for the HP than the energy.

Up on the next floor, we find more imps!

No weaknesses to exploit, so their 50 HP goes a little farther than usual, but they're still not dangerous.

So, here's something I haven't gotten to show off yet. The minimap shows an item two squares north of Kwehry.

Unfortunately, it's an enemy this time. Hidden items like that can sometimes be really good stuff, like summon stones.

I guess this is the saddle floor? Sadly, that's the only one we get here. Onto the next floor!

... Whoops, forgot that the dungeon's boss is on floor 23. We're out of healing items, and our inventory is full of stuff that should go to storage, so...

See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, having an adventurer stumble into your lair and then just nope on out of there must be a big morale boost for a dungeon boss.

Well, that or a huge letdown depending on how much they like good fights.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Last time, we accidentally ran into the boss's room. This time, we'll be making sure we're prepared.

Chill village tunes

Good thing warping back to town identifies everything Kwehry's carrying. Also: holy crap, that first set of Kiai Claws was a +3.

There's a limited time window for this particular quote, since Mrs. Bomb(s) winds up back at home after you beat the boss.

Anyway, we've got a bunch of equipment, and not a lot of inventory space, so let's get mixing.

The very first thing we do is add Holy to our current claw.

Getting a claw to drop a feather when broken requires a few things: It must have been combined (name is in blue text), and it must have a positive bonus. +1 through +5 will get you a weaker feather, while +6 and up get you a stronger one.

Needless to say, the strong feather for Holy claws is Holy, which will make any MegaSpell books we get far more useful.

Dwarf's strong feather is Sylph, which we already have, so we can break this one as-is. It'll be Mini, as you might expect.

Kiai Claws are stupidly strong, but chew through your energy rapidly. While smart combining and our Energy collar mitigate the downside somewhat, they can also be broken for Attack UP and Doom feathers, both of which are nice to have.

Lite Claws are weak, but have very low energy use. The weak feather here is Haste, and the strong... well, I won't spoil it here. It's good, though.

Mirage Saddles have high dodge. They can be broken for Remove or Meteor, so needless to say, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a second one.

Dragon Essence is nifty. Normally, the durability, energy, toughness and such of the output saddle is a weighted average of the two input saddles. Dragon Essence skips that, and sets each stat to the higher of the two inputs.

Of course, using it here would be a waste. I do mix the saddles without it, just to get a mixed Mythril saddle in case I get a polish card.

If your equipment is in danger of breaking, Gamedon can add durability, for a price. His price goes up as you buy more storage space, but so does the amount of durability recovered. Here, he's charging 2000 for 20 durability repair.

Hey, a useful reward! Superior Seeds do the same thing as Dragon Essence.

Because it's been a while, there's a second nut waiting for us. I'll never say no to a food nut.

Back to the forest for a bit. The foresty area at the beginning of this dungeon has a lot of springs, and the Worms have a good chance of dropping hi-potions, in addition to their essences being wonderful.

That should be enough healing items for now. :v:

The shortcut in this dungeon is a gloomy forest. It's filled with some tough enemies, but it maxes out at two floors.

And it drops us off in the cabin on the 17th floor, in case you were curious about that hole.

And a few floors later, we're back, ready to take on Glass Goth.

: Whatcha saying!? Just give back the little lady!

: With this, I will be able to destroy everything! Destruction, devastation, desolation...

And the camera does a dramatic circle before the fight begins!

:siren:Bitchin' boss tunes!:siren:

He's got Silence and Mini to disable your physical and magical offense, as well as a regular and strong attack to whittle down your HP. If you didn't grab a FloatEye essence from Cid's Tower, or a Mage essence from the Cape or Seafloor dungeons, this fight will be much more difficult.

If you have, on the other hand... well, he's weak to fire and holy. We've got both of those on our claw, and plenty of Fire books in reserve.

Between that and the haste tonic, I kinda feel bad about picking on the little guy. :smith:

On the other hand, I've always liked the snowstorm going on outside during the fight.

Cid might not match up to a weakness-hitting tier-2 spell, but he's still great to have around.

That... that's his big attack.

... Y'know what? I feel so bad for this guy, I'm gonna pretend I need to break out the big guns to take him down.

And thus, the demon made of hatred and rage was defeated by setting it on fire a lot and hitting it with a wrench.

Video games are weird.

See you next time! Hope you like cutscenes!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Setting things on fire a lot tends to be a great way to get rid of them, and I fully agree with that strategy regardless of context.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man do you make me envious. When the game was new, it was a time where internet was a luxury and gamefaqs wasn't so obvious, so there was only guesswork for how to mix things...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It really feels like they went full hog on equipment effects for this game. Generally I didn't think the Mysterious Dungeon games were too big on those.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Man do you make me envious. When the game was new, it was a time where internet was a luxury and gamefaqs wasn't so obvious, so there was only guesswork for how to mix things...

My first time through, I didn't understand why anyone would use a Teleport Tag. After all, you're trying to get to the bottom of the dungeon, right? Warping out only makes that take longer!

Needless to say, this "smash the difficulty curve with Essence mixing and spell spamming" technique took a few playthroughs to really come together. :v:

Glazius posted:

It really feels like they went full hog on equipment effects for this game. Generally I didn't think the Mysterious Dungeon games were too big on those.

I also think it's what keeps this game fun and interesting for me, just mixing a bunch of weird stuff together and seeing if the result is worth it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Setting things on fire a lot tends to be a great way to get rid of them, and I fully agree with that strategy regardless of context.

Yeah, this game... doesn't really balance its spells well. Between the sheer number of enemies that are weak to it, as well as the AoE upgrade being easy to use, fire easily winds up being the best general attack spell in the game.

Speaking of game, I should probably update, shouldn't I?

----
Welcome back!

Oh, goodie, more cutscenes.

Cid continues to take zero poo poo from Bahamut.

Mysterious Bahamut tunes.

: He... is headed for the sea floor dungeon. He plans to activate that dungeon.

: The key was supposed to be the only way to awaken that dungeon... Either the time has come or his sheer hatred is what is causing it to start...

: ... Bahamut... Who do ya think ya are...? The Keeper of Time? That's fine. But I'm only here to help the little lady.

: Awaken? I don't care about that now. Why does all this have to happen to the little lady?

: ... Would the young lady want that?

: Whatcha talkin' about?

Around here, Kwehry gets sick of Bahamut's rambling and just walks off.

: The same key should start the dungeon and return it to its proper time. That key lies with the girl and her pendant, the pendant entrusted to her from the future.

: Whatcha talking about?

: I believe the girl has the ability to return those to the forsaken future. The dungeon, Glass Goth, and...

: Aw shucks, don't tell me ya'll return the little lady and the dungeon to the future... What's she supposed to do in the dying future?

: That is for the young lady to decide. All I can do is observe...

All Bahamut can do is observe, and yet it looks like Cid has a higher bonus to perception. :v:

: It's no use. He ain't listening. Even if he was, he wouldn't know anyway...

Kwehry walks off farther.

: Hey! Yo! Kwehry! Wait up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFi8gb3mRr4
(Polsy link)
(Video will run to the end of the update)

Either Cid didn't feel the need to follow Kwehry, or he got distracted by Bahamut again.

Oh, hey, I never knew Dagger was a Jedi.

Dagger goes for her pendant.

Looks like she's planning on that "take everyone back to the future" plan Bahamut mentioned.

Emotional piano tunes!

The pendant reacts to Dagger's hand.

But Kwehry isn't having any of it.

Dagger's still set on her plan, regardless of Kwehry's objections.

Kwehry reluctantly steps forward.

And Dagger distracts him so she can snag the pendant.

It takes Kwehry a few moments to notice.

Meanwhile, in the Seafloor Dungeon...

Glass Goth is still alive. And he's pissed.

But it looks like Bahamut was right about powering up the dungeon with his hatred.

Back up on the mountain, Dagger begins to float away.

Kwehry trips.

Just as Dagger finishes going back to her time.

Kwehry is not happy.

But the dungeon, and Glass Goth with it, also return to the future.

See you next time!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Good ending, need more bummer stuff like that in roguelikes.

(I know its not the real ending but heh)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Depressing sad tunes.

We open up with Kwehry being depressed.

Thankfully, Chubby Chocobo is here in case you've forgotten what happened in this cutscene up to now.

: Chubby Chocobo, howdy...

: How can that be... we've been inseparable till now...

: It can't be helped. It's what the little lady decided.

The screen starts to shake and fade out at the same time. For best results, shake your monitor around and lower the brightness while you read that screenshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_RtD1zp1s
(Polsy link)

Storm rolled in quick.

That doesn't look good.

:siren:Dungeon intro tunes!:siren:

Hmm.

That's looking a little familiar.

And looks like the dungeon's armed with nuclear finger lasers. Okay.

On the other hand, now that Kwehry's got another job to do, he's back into action mode.

: Ya mean ya dived down there and saw it with yer own eyes!?

: Then... The little lady must be in there!? She must be there, along with that fella ya say?

: It must be like ya say! If that's true, we must go and help her! But the problem is that dungeon is in the air... How're we gonna drag that sucker down here?

Yep, Cid's had an airship this whole time, but chose to hike up the mountain on foot for fun.

: Chubby Chocobo, please go tell all the villagers our plan. I'm sure there is no one who would abandon her after she sacrificed herself to help us.

: Okay! I'm off!

: Awright, I'll wait at the tower. Come on over once ya finish yer gettin' ready.

Thankfully, we don't have much gettin' ready to finish, since we're still in good shape from last time. Still, there's a bit to check out around town.

Looks like both Mrs. Bombs made it back home.

She hasn't changed much, though.

The shy one in the corner, though, is worried about Dagger.

Riposte continues to freeload in the Bomb house.

Hmm. That's a lot of equipment. I think it's time to start turning it into feathers.

This gets our Holy Claw up to above +5, so we'll snag the Holy feather from it.

And we're also getting the strong feather from our Lite claws.

The dungeon is still floating in the sky above Cid's tower.

: With the appearance of that dungeon, those varmints are gettin' uppity. Cidwind is at the top of the tower. Can't carry out our plan if we can't get there.

: Move it out, Kwehry!

Hey, a treasure chest! No reason not to pick up some loot while we break our equipment.

... Oh. :smith:

Loot Keeper is every bit as hard to kill as his upgraded form, but his own attacks pack much less of a punch.

Likely because he can pop out of treasure chests or Doom cards, so it's not always entirely the player's fault when he goes after you.

The monsters here are all upgrades of stuff we've already seen, last time we were in Cid's Tower.

Yep, Golems are still filling the same role they did last time.

Same with Cactuars. Their special shoots projectiles in random directions, as well as halves their gil drop.

Which wasn't as big of a deal the first time around, but this time, if they get an attack off, that's 400 gil down the drain.

As you can see, Cid tanks a hit from Loot Keeper here like a champ.

I just want to reiterate here that we're traveling along with an old man who isn't afraid to beat on the grim reaper with a wrench.

Our current Holy claws already have Digging, but this'll make breaking our next set of claws easier.

:swoon:

And we break our Holy claws, and grab ourselves a Holy feather. This will come in handy once we pick up a MegaSpell book.

But we'll worry about that later. See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Agh! Yeah, that's the problem fighting some rear end in a top hat with time travel! If you heroically sacrifice yourself to take him to the future some alternate version of him or a continuous version of him from after your death is just going to come back again!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Turns out that moving to another state and getting a job with crazy hours kinda does terrible things to your free time for quite a while.

The worst part is, I've had this update written up for about three months now, and just haven't had time to post it until now.

----

Welcome back!

Cid's Lower Floors Tunes!

Ahrimans can cause mini. That's all.

After a quick hop out to put Digging on our Lite Claw, we find another treasure chest!

Oh, gently caress you.

And by breaking our Weak Claw, we find out what gets to be the high-tier feather over Haste.

Unlike other summon feathers, Kwehry can't summon Phoenix at-will. Instead, Phoenix will automatically be summoned when Kwehry dies, restoring his HP to full and damaging all enemies in the room. This, of course, consumes the feather.

If you've beaten this game yourself, you might have noticed that there's an empty pedestal in the back room of the Black Mage Lab's basement. For years, people swore up and down that it was impossible to get a statue there, either due to a glitch preventing a boss from showing up there, or intentionally to screw with people.

Turns out that that statue is for Phoenix, and using this feather makes that statue pop up, no problem.

The moral of this story is: GameFAQs users are pretty dumb.

There's also a stone for Phoenix that has the same effect, but it's either dummied out or just stupid rare.

Hey, haste!

And Magic UP!

And, uh...

We've already got aero-all and Sylph, and our saddle already has wind resist. Hmm.

Ooo, this is new.

As the description states, King's gear can be enchanted stupid-high, up to +77. It's also a source of the Holy feather if you can't find any Holy gear.

On the flip side, our Ribbon can already go to +60, and it has a higher base defense. Also the weak feather from King's gear is the same as the weak feather from Iron gear, which is much easier to get. Probably not worth the 4000 gil in this case, but oh well.

Thankfully, we had a Verify card handy to mass-ID all this gear before buying it.

Also thankfully, there were a hell of a lot of Cactuars on the lower floors.

Right. Now that we're geared up, time to get mixing.

Mythril saddles can get you either Critical UP, or Defense UP. Both are great general-purpose feathers to keep around.

We've already gotten the strong feather, so this claw is getting broken as-is. Magic UP does exactly what it sounds like, and makes Kwehry's spells even more powerful.

On the fifth or so trip back to the tower, this beauty shows up in the shop.

MegaSpell books, much like Spell or Cantrip books, require feathers to be used properly. That said, there are only three MegaSpell feathers, and we've already got one, and technically have the equipment to get the other two, though it'll involve managing some bonuses.

And also probably a divide card, since the only reliable way to get one of them is by breaking a low-level Ribbon, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Breaking claws without digging is a lot more time-consuming. Still, unpiloted Imp Robos can help, since they've got a lot of HP and high defense.

Err, not that Cid particularly cares.

No-Silence can give Ifrit at high levels, and Silence at low.

Back in the tower, we finally hit level 9 for Drain.

Like all spells, the visuals get more impressive, and the damage jumps up significantly.

:swoon:

This is the last element we need for our claws. Sure, I could break it for Thunder Cross (or Ramuh), but the ability to hit any and all elemental weaknesses with a normal physical attack is too good.

Especially in the dungeon where all the dangerous stuff is weak to lightning.

Finally!

This looks really impressive, but the same spell on the same enemy without the feather did 150.

No-Dwarf saddles can be broken for Mini or Sylph.

Last time I played this game, I didn't see a single piece of Holy gear until the postgame.

Well, that'll make things a little easier, anyway.

Wood Claws can give either Miss DOWN or Recover UP, which improves your passive regen.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but Kiai claws break for either Attack UP, or Doom. Thankfully, since I have two of 'em now, I can get both.

Saddles are a lot harder to break than claws are, mostly due to the whole "anything that damages your saddle also damages you" thing. Also because if you're wandering around without a saddle that protects against a bunch of status effects, you're going to get hit with them all.

Still, sometimes it's very worth it.

And here's our Mini feather.

Vibro claws are fun. If you can find a pair early on, you can mix it up with some Critter Essence to remove the accuracy penalty, and just stroll around with a powerful set of claws. They break for Max HP UP, which you can also get from Iron Claws, or Drill Shoot, which is gimmicky and fun, but not exactly useful. :v:

Unicorn Stones are great panic buttons, since they heal Kwehry by a bunch.

Doom!

The tenth floor of Cid's tower is still split into two sections, with the grassy area in the middle.

Order Claws break for Miss DOWN, same as Wood, and Shiva. Honestly, neither of them justifies the 6000 gil price tag.

Mysterious Bahamut Tunes!

: Ya no longer surprise me with yer random appearances. I'd like to ask ya one thing.

Yyyyyep, Cid just called out the god of time for being a whiny baby.

: The villagers' hearts are starting to open up... towards the girl. They're opening up towards her after all, even though the dungeon is becoming more powerful.

: Well, her faith in the villagers wasn't wasted after all.

: Her faith...? Cid, I have a favor to ask of you.

: What is it?

: Command me to give you power.

: What?

: Please... I want to observe this era a little longer.

: Awright.

: That sounds good. For only now your voice sounds like the voice of time.

Right, I think that's good point to leave off on. :v:

See you next time!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

happy to see you back! It boggles my mind just how much I DIDN'T know about this game every update.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Something I've always wondered about this game----the essence you get from killing an enemy with a bottle, is that meant to be said enemy's blood?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does kind of make sense that Cid could deal a lot more damage to machines than Kwehry could.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Welcome back!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Cid's Lower Floors Tunes!

Immediately upon entering the second part of the tenth floor, we find ourselves a Tonberry.

Not much to say about the mid-tier Tonberry, really. Be careful chugging un-ID'd potion drops from these guys, since they have a 2/256 chance of dropping Amnesia Tonics.

They can also waste their turn waving their lantern around. Also, mid-tier Mini Mage.

The Demon Collar, despite its scary name, is actually fairly useful, in that it'll always show monsters on the minimap. They drop Drain books, elemental spellbooks, Spell books, and Identify cards all fairly regularly, so farming them is a decent way to stock up on stuff.

One-shotting enemies is a bit of a mixed blessing. On the one hand, killing them before they can damage you is great. On the other hand, it makes getting essences a lot tougher.

And keep in mind, that's not even with our forged-up weapon. Kwehry's using an unaltered +1 Vibro Claw here.

Mini Druids can and will cast Drainra whenever they get a few turns to stand still.

And it's also time for these guys to show up.

Thief Keys open up special treasure chests that only show up on floors with thieves. They usually contain high-end stuff, like summon stones or Polish cards or whatnot.

Of course, sometimes they have Rust or Dull cards, so it can be a bit of a gamble.

Thankfully, a second thief nearby lets us get at the next reward.

Quake and Aero All are great feathers, if only for the ability to turn a basic spellbook into a panic button.

:toot:

It never fails. When you clear the room before hitting the switch, you get this. When you dodge the monsters in hopes of getting this, it's a summon trap.

Oh well, Kwehry's inventory is stuffed full anyway.

I hate these maze floors. Thankfully, I can ignore the western corners.

:toot: Now Kwehry can use a Cantrip book to temporarily disable enemy mages!

Y'know, in case he runs out of other spellbooks that take care of them permanently.

Still, our Cantrip menu is starting to look respectable.

That and these are the prettiest drat status spells I've ever seen.

It's pretty bad when I'm excited for these not because they're Holy claws, but because I need random claws to sacrifice for combining.

The issue with Vibro claws is that they have a very low hit rate, as evidenced by Kwehry losing most of his HP in melee with a mage.

Still, there's a tag over there, and only one nearby enemy.

So of course I decide to run back to the other side of the map to get revenge on one of the mages.

Which, for 56 HP and an Identify card, might actually have been worth it.

Anyway, the tag wound up just being a Memory tag, so it gets left behind.

Meet the new floor, same as the old floor.

Most of the items are in the maze itself, and we've got a straight shot to the elevator.

And since we're getting close to the end of the dungeon, the imps start making their reappearance. Nothing much else happens on this floor.

Cid's Upper Floors Tunes!

And here we are on the last proper floor of the dungeon.

As with the first time through Cid's Tower, Imp Robos are spawned as normal enemies here.

They hit hard, have no essence, and drop a bunch of cards. They'd also be weak to our main claw, if I hadn't left it in storage.

Time to head back to town and re-equip.

Rust cards are great to have when you're breaking stuff to get feathers, especially from saddles.

Hot drat, between my feeder claws and the Polish card, I can take a base level claw up to +6 and give it digging.

Hmm.

I may have just a slight issue with hoarding. :v:

See you next time!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MD games cause that in me too. I had a lot of trouble selecting items in Pokemon MD Sky, because goddamn, I just keep everything.

It's a lot less of an issue in SMD...because I can have infinite items. Not because I'm hoarding less. Because I sure as hell still do it even with completely worthless items.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh, "hit Tonberry"? Does that mean the mini druids will fight Tonberries when they're around?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

So, uh, "hit Tonberry"? Does that mean the mini druids will fight Tonberries when they're around?

That's exactly what that means. Goblins will do the same thing to Guzzes in the first dungeon, too.

It doesn't happen very often, since the enemies are usually more concerned with Kwehry, but it's a thing this game does.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back! Kind of a short one today.

Turns out I didn't even need the Polish card to get these up to +6.

This'll break for Ifrit. Like most of the rest of the summon feathers, I'm mostly just picking it up for the sake of having it.

For once the tree sidequest paid off, giving me a nut I could actually make good use of right away. :v:

And here's our full-elemental claw. From here on out, I can focus on just boosting its stats.

Drill Shoot is a fun one.

A concise description, but a (mostly) accurate one.

Before we get to play with that, though, we have some trouble to deal with.

Okay, trouble dealt with.

Continuing the pattern, they drop even more gil than the last tier of Cactuar. Thankfully, they're not much more difficult to defeat.

I can stop mixing gear and breaking it for feathers any time I want, honest.

As I recall, we recently got a new feather for this. Let's try it out.

Doom. It kills things. 'Nuff said.

Still always great to see one of these things.

Without Digging, unpiloted Imp Robos are great for breaking claws. +2 Iron claws, in this case. Max HP UP increases Kwehry's max HP by 10%, which isn't too shabby.

Dammit, game, I'm never gonna advance the plot if you keep on giving me stuff to break!

... That said, Hurricane Claws don't give us anything new, so they're only useful to mark something as combined and maybe give a +1 or so.

Not sure if I've mentioned Kiai claws before, but they follow the Vibro claw's example of being powerful, but with a drawback. In this case, they chew through your energy like crazy.

Finally! Unfortunately, now I'm trapped deep behind enemy lines, with no armor, and limited healing supplies. It'll be a tough journey, but if I can survive it, the rewards will be great.

Or that. Really, the major difficulty curve in this game is "Do you understand how broken teleport tags are?". Always keep at least one on-hand, and don't be afraid to use it.

Tune in next time for gameplay that wasn't recorded drat near half a year ago! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's always a really good idea to have a "run away" button in hand in this kind of game. I never go into a dungeon without an Escape Orb in SMD, for example, even if in the end I rarely if ever use them.

One point I'll give to Digimon World 2, a game I'm most definitely not a fan of, is that you don't need an item for it, you get an auto-pilot or whatever option by default that makes you leave a dungeon and returns you to base.

• Locked thread