Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Character sheet:
pre:
Name: Julia Svobodova 
Alias: Augur
Team(if any): X-Men

--

Affiliations
Solo: D8 Buddy: D6 Team: D10

--

Distinctions
  • Reluctant X-Man
  • Refugee From Dystopian Future
  • Gifted Neurobiologist
-- Power sets Mutant Hound Par Excellence Enhanced Durability D8 Enhanced Reflexes D8 Enhanced Speed D8 Metahuman Detection D8 Mind Control D8 Psychic Blast D8 SFX: Mass Hysteria. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target. SFX: Psionic Minefield. On a reaction against a Mental Stress attack action, inflict Mental Stress with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1. Limit: Mutant. Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech. -- Specialties Combat D10 Covert D8 Menace D8 Psych D8 Science D8 -- Milestones Milestone 1: Guilty Past
  • Gain 1xp the first time an ally takes stress from a Watcher character in a Scene that you are in.
  • Gain 3xp when your recovery of your emotional stress involves your admission of your guilt.
  • Gain 10xp when you either quit a team in order to save them or your team is defeated by a foe you have brought to them.
Milestone 2: Not Their Tool Anymore
  • Gain 1xp when you discuss anti-mutant hysteria.
  • Gain 3xp when you open up about your time as a Hound.
  • Gain 10xp when you either seek forgiveness for the terrible things you did as a Hound, or seek revenge and gather a team in order to target and kill anti-mutant forces.
Questions to answer for all applicants:
  • Why did you become a hero?
    Is that what you call what I do? Well, honestly, I have no idea what else I'd do and I have a lot to make up for. Plus at least I'm on the right side this time.
  • What did you expect coming into the superhero life?
    A lot more red tape. The SHRA is nothing. Everyone seemed to do whatever they wanted just a few years ago and people just let them.
  • Whom are you the most loyal to?
    Cyclops, Beast, and even Emma Frost---they looked out for me and helped me adjust to this new reality. I trust them (though maybe Frost not as much).
  • What wish do you have for the future?
    Just don't be as horrible as my timeline turned out? But that means people have to be proactive. I have to be proactive. We can't let there be any reason for people to want mutant internment camps or totalitarian government.
  • Why are you outside the New York Academy of Art on June the 13th, 2017 at 8:08am?
    The bakery just down the block across the street. They make the most amazing raisin walnut pumpernickel, though today is all about the fresh jelly doughnuts.
edit:
Original characters questions:
  • Amongst the masked community, whom knows you? Do you have any interesting relations with any of the big names?
    Plenty of the various X-teams would know Augur, I guess, if not necessarily the secret ID. Same goes for anti-mutant folks and organizations. I haven't met Rachel Summers and am hoping never to have to.
  • Who are the (up to)two other heroes or villains (either an OC app or an established character) whom have the biggest impact on you (either best buddy, worst rival, most indebted, etcetc)?
    Beast, who helped me when I first fell through time to this alternate Earth and taught me how to fit in. Relatively. And Cyclops, who gave me a chance to put my powers to work for my people instead of against, and give me purpose as well as focus. I was too late for X-Force, but sometimes wish I hadn't been.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Trollhawke posted:

Have you been falling out with an old friend or reacquainting with someone you've known in passing previously recently?

"Sometimes Howard invites me around because 'as long as spending some time with me you probably won't murder any heroes' which, not fair, I only tried to kill him the once and I wasn't even trying that hard. (Trying hard = grenade bouquet.) Still, you know, we can bond in the whole 'strangers in a strange land' deal, so there's that. Oh, and his assistant's Tara Tam's cool, I guess, maybe a little too cool? I mean, not as cool as me, ahahaha... heh... sigh."

"That's not a sound effect, I just said 'sigh'."

Trollhawke posted:

Individual character questions
  • Alien Rope Burn, GwenPool - I see you and Deadpool have gotten to meet...hear...see... whatever. In any case, have you tried going through your caped contacts for work? Any luck?

"Hey, I'll have you know people are beating down my door to hire me!... or they would be, if they knew where my door was... or who I am, but nevermind all that. Also, have you even been in Howard's office? He has a trash can for a secretary. I'm not sure I can really put up with the whole trash can standard of living, the judgement one faces as a trash can, being part of the tough trash can lifestyle. It's just not me, you know? Also, no money. Ms. Marvel is amazing but, you know, she's a hard luck hero, not a job creator. Also I'm not sure she's really in a place to accept my violent train of choo-choo justice. Maybe someday, but not today. She-Hulk... She-Hulk is more into filing papers than firing guns these days. I mean, she does a cool party, but also scary as hell."

"I don't need to just take quests from extras, though. I've been doing freelance heroics, you know, defeat an encounter, check for loot, level up, all that stuff. Credit cards make it harder to claim your daily rewards, though. 'You don't look like a Caesar Cisero.' Oh, like you know, convenience store prole. This is comics! Anything can happen! Iron Man got turned into an naked evil robot! An aging mob boss could totes get a reboot as an awesome me!... well, okay, I guess even that's a stretch. I've been thinking of stopping by the Hellhole for work but he's there and I don't think it's time for that crossover yet. Also, they never put an address in the comics, which it turns out is a real pain when a seedy mercenary bar doesn't have a website. Get with the times, Patch! Nobody's gonna come to your bar much longer unless you have a website with crappy pictures of food and karaoke Tuesdays."

"I did look at some open offers through Ronnie, though, like the one to take out the Skrull Kill Krew, which the person put up signed as DefinitelyNotASkrull586 so it's probably legit, and seriously, those guys are like, super-speciesist. There's multiple jobs to bust up a new Zodiac Cartel, I guess they're not answering cease and desist letters from the old ones. And hey, there's one to take out some 'Pink HYDRA Agent without any goddamn pants on who took my wallet, what's wrong with kids these days?' from BigBossCaesa-'"

"Oh. Whoops. Forget that last one!"

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 1, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So I'm bad at coming up with original fluff for my superhero. So time for plan B butchering an existing hero.

Pete Wisdom

Christ they must be mental. I wouldn't put me in charge of a trip to the pub but now I'm running half of bloody MI13. Luckily for me it's the field half where I know my arse from my elbow and someone else gets to deal with the paperwork payroll and pencil supplies. Still I guess someone has to babysit the kids coming through, That's another bloody thing. Kids. All my buddy's from the old days are starting to have them now and not just the weird alternate dimension cloned kind the actual bouncing baby boy kind. Meanwhile I'm still doing my job still trying to kid myself I'm not getting older. gently caress I heard two of my newbies talking the other day about the "old man" I drat near had a heart attack when I realised they were talking about me. Still it's my responsibility to keep these kids alive and doing their job. Speaking of which something big's going down in New York. And when is something big not going down in New York you might ask, which is why I'm here beating around the bushes personally. Maybe I can figure out what's so important this time. I'm still the best there is or at least the best Her Maj's government can spare anyway and if I can't find out someone bloody well better before it's too late.

quote:

Name: Peter "Pete" Wisdom
Alias: None
Team(if any): MI:13, X-Force (ret), Excalibur(ret)
--
Affiliations
Solo: d10 Buddy: d6 Team: d8
--
DistinctionsCan add either d8 or d4+1pp to a roll
  • For Queen, Country, and the Mutant Race
  • Too Clever for His Own Conscience
  • "Sod Off, You Bloody Toerag!”
--
Power sets

Hot Knives
Enhanced Durability d8, Heat Blast d8, Weapon d8

SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.

SFX: As Hot as the Surface of the Sun. If your pool includes a Hot Knives power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one stepped-up die.

SFX: Dangerous. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action including a Hot Knives power and step back highest die in pool by –1. Step up Physical Stress inflicted by +1

SFX: Hot Knife Shield. On a successful reaction against a physical attack action, inflict physical stress with your effect die at no PP cost or step up +1 for 1 PP.

SFX: Thermal Cushion. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, and complications caused by falling or being hurled or thrown.

Limit: Blades of Pure Thermal Energy. Earn 1 PP and turn a Hot Knives power into a complication. Take an action vs. the doom pool or add d8 to the doom pool to recover.

Limit: Conscious Activation. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Hot Knives. Recover Hot Knives when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take mental trauma, shutdown Hot Knives until you recover that trauma.

Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications and tech, earn 1 PP.

On Her Majesties Secret Service
Armored Trenchcoat d6, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Weapon d8

SFX: Hail of Bullets. Step up or double Weapon for one action. If the action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal size of your Weapon die. </span></p>

SFX: Master Spy.' Spend 1 PP to step up a Covert Master stunt or resource and recover mental stress or step back emotional stress.

SFX: “Stuff This for a Lark.” Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, and complications caused by shock, surprise, or fear.

Limit: Burnout. Shutdown On Her Majesty’s Secret Service when you take emotional trauma and earn 1 PP. Recover it when you recover the trauma.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown an On Her Majesty’s Secret Service power to earn 1 PP. Take an action vs. the Doom pool to recover gear.
--
Specialities

Combat Expert d8, Covert Master d10, Menace Expert d8, Psych Expert d8, Tech Expert d8, Vehicle Expert d8
--
Milestones

It Needed Doing
  • Gain 1xp when you take trauma or physical stress for trying to save a stranger’s life, or when you express guilt for something terrible you while working with an intelligence agency, Excalibur, or X-Force
  • Gain 3xp when you reprimand a teammate for not doing what needed to be done, or when you inflict physical trauma on a former ally while cursing them for making you do it
  • Gain 10xp when you save the mutant race from a major threat, save Britain from a major threat, or kill someone for the greater good of mutants or Britain
You Always Know Where The X-men Have Been, Because It's Always On Fire.
  • Gain 1xp when you declare a mutant to be an old ally, or when you declare how ridiculous a character’s costume or codename is
  • Gain 3xp when you question a team’s unsubtle methods, when a hero questions your black-ops style methods, or when you fight alongside them against a threat to mutants or Britain
  • Gain 10xp when you accept full membership in a team with costumed heroes, or leave your current team to start one that operates without making as much of a mess

quote:

Why did you become a hero?

Who told you I was a hero? I'm just a guy who does what has to be done. It's not pretty it's not clever but it's necessary. I wish there were more people who could see it like I do and the world would be a better place.

quote:

What did you expect coming into the superhero life?

Bloody supermodels queuing up to give me blowjobs and the various politicians lining up for the privilege of pinning a medal on my chest. If only real life worked like that. Instead I'm lucky if I get a thank you and a harder job than the last one to do.

quote:

Whom are you the most loyal to?

my friends, my country and my people. As long as no one asks me to choose between them...

quote:

What wish do you have for the future?

I'd settle for a decent cuppa. Lager would be nice but now I'm the boss and I'm pretty sure the boss isn't supposed to drink on the job. Beyond that I limit my wishes to the realistic dreams and idealism can get you killed if you're not careful.

quote:

Why are you outside the New York Academy of Art on June the 13th, 2017 at 8:08am?~

What? I like fine art, My favourite is that one picture of the dogs playing poker. Ok you got me I'm not here for the art. I'm staking out a dead drop to see who comes along to pick it up.

quote:

Have you been falling out with an old friend or reacquainting with someone you've known in passing previously recently?

Well not a falling out exactly but I had a run in with an old "friend". Nicholas (make sure you call him that to his face)Fury he had some of his goons drag me in for a little chat. Nothing rough but hell a simple phone call or a chat over a nice single malt would've done. But no say what you will about the man he does that pissed off spymaster thing better than anyone else. Of course I couldn't tell him anything about what was going on because I didn't have a clue myself. But if he keeps harassing me like this he'll be lucky if I tell him the sky is blue.

While I was in New York I decided to hit up an old acquaintance Dr Hank McCoy. That guy has more degrees than I've had hot dinners and you know he's the smartest man in the room wherever he goes. I figured if there was anything weird and sciency going down in New York he'd not only know about it he'd probably be able to understand it. Unfortunately it was a bust but hey we got to talking and said if I was ever in a jam I could give him a call. You never know when having a super-genius scientist on your side might help and I heard he bench-presses trucks for fun which might come in handy too.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 1, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
My backstory is now existent! It changed between conceptualizing and realizing, so the promise of established character death was actually a lie. I was gonna have Spider-Man die saving Shocker from one of his own schemes gone wrong, and a combination of guilt and Spidey's last words motivated the change, but that started feeling a bit too grim and excessive.

Also,

Thank you for knowing exactly the clip I struggled to find a place to put in my datafile.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 1, 2016

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Kudzu (Wynona MacCullen)

While mutant power is quite often inherited, it's seldom if ever inherited stably; children of mutants tend to have quite different powers from their parents. And yet, as always, for every rule there are exceptions, such as the McCullen family.

This rather large family was originally from Ireland, and a preternatural talent for caring for plants has been in the blood - family lore says one of their ancestors met a tree spirit wounded by a lumberjack, brought him in, treated him, and eventually married him. However, during the Irish potato famine, the MacCullens found the land itself growing hostile, so they uprooted themselves and braved the voyage to New York.

So Wynona was expecting to develop a green thumb, and perhaps find herself able to hear plants, like her father could. However, while she and her parents were on a picnic with her aunt and cousins, an old, rotted tree finally cracked and fell towards them. In the heat of the moment, she underwent a startling transformation, into a womanlike figure made of wood and vines. She caught the tree, and pushed it off to the side where it wouldn't hurt anyone.

However, her transformation caused her aunt to panic, claiming that it had been caused by GMOs or pesticides or aspartame. Word got around, and now almost half of her extended family feared her, as though she might be contagious. In a way, it was worse than all of her family shunning her, because the other half still want her to attend family functions, and her presence tends to make them awkward now.

During the worst of this, she often left the house at night and wandered aimlessly. During one of those wanderings, she saw a woman being kidnapped by HYDRA goons, did what came naturally, and yanked her away from their grasp before thrashing them. She talked to her rescuee while waiting for the police to show up, and in the course of their conversation discovered three things:

• She was Elle Astoris, a student roboticist with a lot of promise in designing autonomous drones, and HYDRA had sought to snatch up the young talent before it became expensive.
  • Wynona definitely wanted to spend more time with Elle.
  • The feeling was quite mutual.

Meeting Elle awakened in Wynona a desire to help people, and not just by beating up bad guys; she feels a quiet conversation at the right time can do more good than a million punches. So she bought a plot of land in Brooklyn, and using her powers, sprouted up a building woven from living wood. This bar, The Taproot, is her pride and joy, and she hears such interesting things from the people who visit it.

Why did you become a hero?
I sort of fell into it the first time, but it awakened a fire in me. I can help people, and show off, and prove to everyone that I'm not just some chemical freak, that this is part of a bigger destiny.

What did you expect coming into the superhero life?
I'll tell you what I didn't expect - so many obstinate people. You'd think that after the third time someone has been pinned down by vines or thrashed by a walking tree that they'd give up and listen to reason, but that doesn't seem to happen. You see the same thing at the bar - people telling me they're going to turn over a new leaf, and then next week they've fallen back in the same old trouble.

Whom are you the most loyal to?
Elle Astoris, my girlfriend. Without her, I wouldn't be here. Of course, without me, she wouldn't be here, either, so it evens out. [laughter]

What wish do you have for the future?
I'm wishing to build a bridge back to the family members Aunt Karen scared off with her gossipmongering. It's been five years already, I think I've proven that I'm not some horrible monster, okay?

Why are you outside the New York Academy of Art on June the 13th, 2017 at 8:08 AM?
My truck broke down, and with two cases of scotch in the back, too. I'm unfortunately pretty helpless with mechanical things, so I sent Elle a text, and once she's through with class, she'll be over to see what she can do.

Amongst the masked community, whom knows you? Do you have any interesting relations with any of the big names? Who are the (up to)two other heroes or villains (either an OC app or an established character) whom have the biggest impact on you (either best buddy, worst rival, most indebted, etcetc)?
Well, when a superhero runs a bar, other superheroes tend to visit, even if they don't drink anything harder than Coke. Spider-Man and Daredevil turn up often during their patrols, for example, and bend their ear to hero gossip; the Avengers have had lunch here a couple of times; and one time the Juggernaut showed up and drank an entire keg of Coors Light. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Daredevil has actually been the biggest help, because some rich guy named Wilson Fisk is trying to buy out the land I own from underneath me, and I'm pretty sure he's behind the three crooked "health inspectors" that turned up this month and tried dropping a dead rat in the kitchen. Daredevil recommended me to the law firm of Nelson and Murdock, and they've helped me fight back in the legal arena. It's so frustrating that the guy most devoted to destroying everything I love is someone I can neither talk to nor punch.

Name: Wynona McCall (public)
Alias: Kudzu
Team(if any): None
--
AffiliationsOne at d10, one at d8 and one at d6 (1d6 = 1)
Solo: d10 Buddy: d8 Team: d6
--
DistinctionsCan add either d8 or d4+1pp to a roll (3d6 = 2, 1, 1)
  • The Best Super Bar in New York
  • A Flair for the Dramatic
  • A Sympathetic Face
--
Power sets
Plant Body (Mutant) (1d12 = 1 for Origins, 1d12 = 10 for Primary Power Set, 1d10 = 5 for Power Traits)

Plant Control 1d12 (1d10 = 6)
Size-Changing 1d10 (1d10 = 6, rerolling 1d10 = 8)
Invisibility 1d8 (1d10 = 3)
Stretching 1d8 (1d10 = 6)
Water Control 1d6 (1d10 = 1, 1d15 = 15 for element type)

SFX: Five Branches, One Root - All Kudzu's powers are reflections of her plantlike nature, and she uses them well together. She can use two or more Mutant powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: I Can Ease Your Pain - Kudzu's body naturally produces a variety of useful chemicals. She adds Plant Control to her dice pool when helping others recover stress. She can recover her own or another's stress, or step back her own or another's trauma by -1, by adding the stress or trauma die to the Doom Pool.

Limit: Not Roundup Ready - Gain 1 PP when affected by plant-specific pathogens, herbicides, insects, hardcore vegans, etc.
Limit: Mutant
--
Specialities (1d10 = 1)
Covert d8 (1d10 = 3)
Psych d8 (1d10 = 7)
--
Milestones (2d10 = 2, 5)
Milestone 1: Where Everybody Knows Your Name
  • Gain 1xp when a current or former patron of her bar recognizes her.
  • Gain 3xp when someone causes trouble for her bar.
  • Gain 10xp when you either expand your bar or decide to shut it down.
Milestone 2: The Giving Tree
  • Gain 1xp when you help someone with Plant Control out of combat.
  • Gain 3xp when an ally uses an asset you created with Plant Control as their effect die.
  • Gain 10xp when you either stress out a foe while under a complication caused by Not Roundup Ready, or you succumb while under that effect despite your best efforts.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

quote:

Amongst the masked community, whom knows you? Do you have any interesting relations with any of the big names? Who are the (up to)two other heroes or villains (either an OC app or an established character) whom have the biggest impact on you (either best buddy, worst rival, most indebted, etcetc)?

One of my first clients, and my first foray into my line of work, was perhaps one of my hardest to work with: a fellow psychic by the now-flown moniker of Rift. I know their full name, but would rather not disclose it at the moment. For now, I can explain my experience with them: difficult! Ordinarily, I can tell when a client isn't being truthful with me simply by reading their thoughts. Unfortunately, their resistance to my psychic abilities was about as effective as both my offense and defense on that front. My first attempt to get a reading resulted in a very long series of steps backwards as their trust diminished in me. My only options were to work with words and body language alone.

It was obvious from the beginning that their case started as an 'ego trip', a rush in adrenaline and feeling of dominance, gained from their newfound powers. It was also quite obvious from the bandages around her chin that she'd received quite a hard dose of reality, and in doing so seemed unlikely to perform further villainous acts. At the same time, however, I needed to make sure there was no doubt in her mind that the past is behind her, and that revenge was not in the cards. We discussed the nature of superpowers, the ultimate futility of petty crime as a means of achieving satisfaction, and the future. I'm proud to admit that it only took three weeks before I was able to give the green light as to the "reformed" status. Rift still has my number, and we remain close enough to be considered 'friends'. I personally would prefer to go with 'good friends', but I will respect Rift's request for distance. Sometimes we go shopping for new clothes together, although, due to my cybernetic frame, I'm stuck with buying various flavors of suit. It remains an entertaining experience all the same.

Secondly, there is the matter of one...Well, again, for confidentiality purposes, I will refrain from using their real name, but they go by 'The Shocker.' A most fascinating case of good intentions with questionable methods, and my first client after Parker Industries was bought out. By complete coincidence, my wandering led me to finding a man in a yellow quilted bodysuit pointing an arm-mounted weapon at someone currently pointing a gun at a civilian's back in an alley. Analyzing the situation, I realized what went wrong: in an attempt to stop a robbery, this costumed would-be hero threatened force as their very first action. Seeing any kind of weapon raised caused the robber to feel threatened and the need to escalate and regain a position of power. Now they're stuck in a standoff position, where one wrong move could result in tragedy.

I needed to intervene, playing peacemaker. In this case, by first telling this vigilante to drop his weapon, as it's not helping matters. As much as one would rather have the one with the pistol to someone's back drop theirs first, the appearance of a second person would almost certainly result in a rash decision if my first action didn't show intent to 'aid' their cause. From there, it was a simple matter of altering everyone's perspectives of the situation: right now, all they have to answer for is attempted robbery. The gun was an act of self-defense, and has not yet escalated the crime to armed robbery until they attempt to leave with the money. Legally speaking, this really wasn't the case unless you got into semantics, but I needed to comfort them and lessen the perceived punishment, especially for turning themselves in, before they'd even begin to consider it. I explained that armed robbery is a maximum of 20 years jail time, and that attempted robbery is, at the very worst, 10 years of probation. My final action was to let them decide whether they want to risk two decades of jail for a single wallet.

Needless to say, they threw that gun away immediately. A quick application of handcuffs to a street pole and a phone call later, I was off explaining myself and asking for an explanation from this "The Shocker." According to what their mouth said, they were just starting out as a vigilante, and trying to start small. According to what their mind said, they were a newly-escaped criminal who was attempting to make a difference by using their powers to solve various small crimes, stuff too small for people who know about him and his prison break to bother with, at least until no one cares any more. I told him that his statement was a bold-faced lie, but that I'd be willing to talk them through the process anyway. We spent a good hour discussing the do's and don'ts of costumed vigilantism, with an occasional slip by..."Shocker", as to some personal detail about themselves. As the evening went on, he felt the need to be elsewhere, and I left him my business card. Since then, we have bumped into each other a few times, with me unraveling the 'mystery' of his motivations a little bit more each time.

quote:

"Viola" - Reforming prisoners, huh - an interesting group. Have you kept in touch with any of them since your therapy sessions? Have any heroes sought therapy with you?

The two clients I have mentioned before are most definitely people I still speak to as of this day. As for heroes, there is, in fact, someone who fits that description! They are my first non-criminal client, and while I know them as "my most interesting client thus far," you may know them as "The Incredible Hulk."

It would seem that Bruce Banner's previous therapist has left this mortal coil, and the nature of his powers leaves him with an internal struggle that continues to need maintenance to this day. However, I ascertained, after the first session, that simple anger management and stress relief would not do the 'job' alone. The monstrous form's power is limited by how much rage they can channel, and while there are a lot of ways to get angry, there are fewer methods of properly channeling that fury towards a more constructive purpose. He spends entirely too much time throwing cars when he could just as easily focus on his target and deliver a blow with infinitely more force behind it.

To that end, I have taught, to both Bruce and his alter-ego, a pair of simple acronyms to remember. DART, whichs stand for "Drop what you're holding, Assess the situation, Remind yourself who you are and Take a deep breath", and LEAN, aka "Look at your target, Envision them as the source of all your stress, Arouse your fury, and Nail them," respectively. The latter has words that may sound difficult for the Hulk to remember, but there's a follow-up mnemonic device: "Always LEAN in to punch." Thus far, he claims it has worked quite well. Having not seen the results for myself, I am unsure how much of it is my method, and how much of it is placebo effect, but I have high hopes for them.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 1, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Trollhawke posted:

Here, at this moment in time? Not many people. There was the red-headed guy who rescued me, and his team who I met in passing- I didn't recognize most of them, many seemed to be mutants (though largely ones who could "pass"). This isn't too surprising, as mutants tended to keep a low profile on my world. The ones I did recognize were part of what gave me pause- some sort of analogue for Havoc and Polaris, the King and Queen of the rogue state of Genosha? Finesse, the world's most notorious freelance assassin? Some sort of teleporting demon woman with a huge magic sword? I of all people know you shouldn't be judging by appearances, but it was... disconcerting.

On my own world I was on good terms with most of the New York super-heroes who kept in touch with what was going on on the ground, and had more mixed interactions with those whose positions required deference to my official status as a public menace (most prominently the Avengers). My closest relationships were probably the partners at Murdock, Walters & Nelson. Murdock and Walters saved my behind on more than one occasion, and knew me without the mask, but the work they've done in the courtroom has probably been their biggest contribution to society. I'm proud to have helped them out gathering evidence and protecting witnesses. I've also teamed up with Luke Cage and Danny Rand on a few occasions, but more business than anything else, and they never knew me as anything but the Jumping Spider. I've helped the Avengers to deal with aliens and the like a few times, but they always rubbed me the wrong way- I know they're all supposed to be heroes, but in person they seemed a bit more aggressive and... fascist than I'd have hoped for. Plus, discovering that Techno and that drunk Tony Stark had helped the government design the S.E.N.T.I.N.E.L. power armor was a disappointment and a betrayal that I still haven't recovered from, and something I intended to get some answers about before I was shanghai'd. I did have a few positive interactions with Songbird however, she was always more level-headed and reasonable than the rest.

Oh and The Captain of course. He was before my time, but my dad was a huge fan and used to tell me stories about him when I was young. His legacy is still an inspiration to many, myself included, and I can't help but feel that my world would have been a better place if he and the original Avengers hadn't vanished during that secret mission. Many are granted power, but whoever decided to give that noble man the power of the heartstar of the space between galaxies saw clearly. He was the best of us, and the fact that he seems to be missing in action is one of the things that makes me most doubt this new world.

Also, they're not costumed heroes, but I do need to thank Norman Osborn for being so forward thinking. His academy let me make some fantastic friends- Xi'an, Danny, and Doug are all great people. Not that it was perfect- I never got along with Tabitha or her clique. It also let me meet some of the public faces of the Mutant rights movement in my capacity as a student, who are all incredibly brave and inspirational people- Peter Rasputin, Warren Worthington, and Alison Blaire especially. Peter's little sister even attends the academy, though she's significantly younger and I never really interacted with her.

I've also run into The Cat (Shen Kuei) on a few occasions. He may be a criminal, but he's quite the... intriguing man.

quote:

[*]LGD, Spiderblink- Have you tried getting acting work in this new dimension, or something else? Besides Reed Richard, are there any other people who really, really contradicted your universe's equivalent?
I've been living off a bag of cash I appropriated from an armored truck making a pick up at a bank- they should have been insured and there was no danger to anyone, least of all me (when you can enter and exit an enclosed area without passing through intervening space there's no real challenge). I've been feeling some guilt over this as it's not something I would have done before I left my dimension, but I need some resources and don't know who to trust so it seemed best. However it's not something I want to make a habit of, both because it's wrong and because it risks attracting the worst kind of attention. I need a job but I'm not quite sure what to do- I've got a (good) high school education and my experience in the "entertainment industry" doesn't seem like it'd help on a resume. There were times I enjoyed the acting- getting lost in a character helped me forget where I was, but mostly the memories are painful. I'm not interested in being anyone's trained monkey or part of a freak show, and if I landed a role I'd worry about attracting awkward attention. For the moment I need something that lets me keep a low profile- if I can get a copy of "my" ID reissued I'm hoping I can find employment as a courier or process server, where my natural abilities let me get ahead. If worse comes to worse, there's apparently some sort of mutant theme restaurant in Manhattan. That's probably degrading as hell, but it does seem to play to my strengths and I might be able to negotiate reasonable pay. There are some mutant organizations who could also potentially help me out, but I'd prefer not to be beholden to anyone until I have the lay of the land.

Aside from everyone's love of Reed loving Richards (and his technologically empowered "family"), most people in this dimension seem fairly similar. If I were to take this world at face value, I'd say most of the heroes from my home are just a little darker in general and some of the history went a little differently. Most of the people who are in the Avengers here are dead or vanished on my world- lost with The Captain. The new Avengers do a good job protecting us from external threats, but the founding members (Citizen V, Mach-III, Techno, Atlas, Songbird, and Meteorite) don't seem to have quite the same inspirational effect that heroes do in this universe. This Captain America seems much less jingoistic and internationally beloved than ours, no matter how "Ultimate" he may be. In fact I'm led to believe the majority of them used to be criminals here, which makes me think that might be the case back home as well but if that's true I'm not sure how much it matters- they're our heroes now. Or the establishment's heroes anyway. On the other hand I don't know how much of this carries over- I hear Norman Osborne is an insane criminal here, which is just incomprehensible to me as all of my interactions and observations of him on my home world didn't indicate he was anything but a genuine philanthropist and great man. There also seem to be a lot of spider people running around here who I don't recognize- back home there's just me. The super-criminals they seem to fight are mostly familiar, I've tangled with my fair share in the past.

The mutants are an area where history also seems to have diverged. I'm led to believe Magneto and Charles Xavier have been active and influential over time here, which is not the case where I'm from as they were both assassinated fairly early on by parties unknown. They still influence people through their words, but true adherence to Xavier's pacifist philosophy didn't survive him long. After his death, Xavier's heir apparent Cyclops turned militant, and has been the world's most wanted terrorist for the last decade. He seems better here, but recent actions are making me question how different he really is, especially since he still seems to be in the company of the White Queen (and that demon woman from my escape). On the other hand, he seems to be on good terms with the mutant rights activists I admired (Peter, Warren, Allison) so that's a major point in his favor. The other obvious difference is that this universe's version of Polaris is both much less active and much less influenced by her father's legacy- her takeover and rebuilding of the apartheid Genoshan state was a major international incident and it's bizarre to see someone mentioned in the same breath as autocrats like Von Doom and Namor reduced to being a bit player. Still, she helped get me out of my "television deal" so that's a definite point in her favor.

As an aside, the thing with Reed Richard isn't meant to be disruptive- it's more that he's the obvious person who can go "oh, your energy signature indicates you're from dimension X, step into the portal in my spare bathroom and we'll have you back in a jiff!" and giving myself a reason to distrust him gives me more reason to stick around. Though there are all kinds of made up super-science reasons I might not be able to go back. In any case, most other people are similar, it's just that circumstances have conspired to make some people worse/more militant than they are in the mainline Marvel universe. These are generally people who it makes sense to have gone bad- i.e. dark Tony Stark isn't exactly a new idea, Captain America is Mark Millar Cap, and the rest of the Avengers are the Thunderbolts. The mutants are militant, and the X-Men a terrorist organization.

Also, for reference and so we're on the same page- I'm envisioning Spider-Blink Reed and the rest of the F4 as basically working the same way their corrupt analogues did in Planetary (The Four, Randall Dowling, Kim Süskind, etc.), they're just less far along in the process (and are more racist/fearful of the social implications of people whose gifts are natural rather than the result of reproducible science). I'm also open to Clarice being totally wrong about her version of Osborne, but she sincerely believes he's a good man, and he's done nothing to contradict that conviction so far. She could also be wrong about Richards, but if so it'd need to be a "Red Skull has been dosing him with haterade for years" kind of a thing.

LGD fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 1, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Oh man, I should pull out my existing Jubilee character sheet. ... or the other 90s refugee we stated up.

Affiliations
Solo: d6
Buddy: d10
Team: d8

Distinctions
  • The 90s were awesome
  • Squidkid Soldier
  • Slimy Little Hipster

You’re a Kid Now
Ink Gun d10, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Senses d8, Shrinking d6
SFX: Ink everywhere: Add a d6 and increase the the effect die when you create the complication Inked.
SFX: Versatile: Break Ink Gun into 2d8 or 3d6.
SFX: Boneless: Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress from blunt damage.
Limitation: Weakness: Increase stress inflicted by heat or fire by one step and gain 1PP.
Limitation: Mutant: Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant specific milestones and tech.

You’re a Squid Now
Invisibility d10, Enhanced Speed d8, Wall Crawling d8, Leaping d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Senses d8, Shrinking d6
SFX: Boneless: Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress from blunt damage.
Limitation: Weakness: Increase stress inflicted by heat or fire by one step and gain 1PP.
Limitation: Mutually Exclusive: Shutdown You’re a Kid Now to activate this power set, shut this power set to reactive You’re a Kid Now.
Limitation: Mutant: Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant specific milestones and tech.

Specialties
Acrobatics Expert d8, Combat Master d10, Covert Master d10, Tech Expert d8, Vehicle Expert d8

(Okay, I won't actually inflict this on you unless you really want me to)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Trollhawke posted:

I got approached by the X-Men after I went public. Both of them. The vaguely respectable one set up over in rich people country and the one being run by known terrorists. And I told them both no, because... Listen, let's be honest here. I'm not afraid of a lot of things. Joining the X-Men is one of them. Could I learn there? Yes. Could I deal with even half of the things the X-Men have done? Not in a million years. And when I run into them again, and trust me, I'm sure I'm going to run into them, I'm going to have to... Alright, I haven't figured out what I'm going to do if I meet the X-Men again. I'll figure something out when I have to, don't worry about it. I certainly won't.

(Two reasons I picked the X-Men in general instead of any one member here. One, I don't feel up to date enough on what they're doing in comics now to pick one member to focus my aversion to ever working with the X-Men on, let alone whatever alternate version Trollhawke has planned. Two, I'd rather let the X-Men apps define things about the X-Men.)

Now, what other supers have I met... Spider-Man doesn't count, that was a fight, not a meeting... Oh! The Shocker called me once, about a year ago. Said he had a big heist planned, wanted to know if I wanted in. I didn't, obviously, but he didn't react the way I thought he would. You'd think supervillains would get mad if you rejected them, right? Or at least that they wouldn't care. Shocker didn't do that. He just got kind of sad and hung up. That got me thinking. If he called me, he must have just been calling everyone who ever fought Spider-Man, right? And if he was still looking for help by the time he got to the Rs, well, I don't know where the Shocker is now but I hope it's a happier place than he was a year ago.

(As a side note, one of the reasons I made an ex-villain trying to be a hero is that I was RandallODim hint at applying as The Shocker, so thanks for the inspiration.)

(Also, Rift wouldn't consider hanging out with a robotic therapist you used to go to a super-relationship, but I approve of UQ's connection.)

quote:

Lurks With Wolves, Rift - Spiderman to the jaw, huh? Sounds painful. Was there anyone in particular involved in reigniting your interest in the caped life?

About two weeks ago, I was just sitting around the apartment when a special report came on TV. It wasn't anything special, just the Young Avengers fighting some Hydra goons downtown, but it made me think. You see, none of them could have been much older than I was when my powers showed up, and they were fighting to save the city. Meanwhile, I've had my power for four years and I was just sitting on my rear end eating leftover chow mein. I had to ask myself, what am I doing with my life? And the answer was... nothing. I didn't have anything going for me. So I thought about it, and you know what I realized? I had powers, I had an alias I could reuse, and no one remembered my week-long supervillain run anyway. There was no reason I couldn't be a hero. So... Now I'm going to be one.

Still, god help me if I ever actually meet the Young Avengers. What would I say? "Hello, you made me have a mid-life crisis at twenty"? I'd rather die.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
@Lurks, Honestly it's probably a one-sided thing, yeah. But given the way i'd written her up, she probably thinks it's important enough to call it a good friendship. Still, I'm glad you're glad with my thing! I'll edit the exaggeration down a little.

Still, we've got Shocker here and the relevant video clip. We now need to figure out how to work in Venom driving a truck.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Namor stuff will go here. I'm working on selling my house and moving so I haven't had time to write in his voice again. :v:

Namor

quote:

I would not go to such lengths as to claim him a friend, but T'Challa was a peer, nobility within a realm similar to my own, a leader of men and a ruler of a powerful and independant nation.. and in the end, a traitorous surface dweller whose own narrow minded vision cost the world dearly.

At the very least he had the spine to put his blade between my ribs and look me in the eye, rather than put it between my shoulderblades. But should he cross my path too soon, I will show him what his pathetic Wakandan metal and engineering mean in the face of the might of Atlantis.

quote:

Have human - Atlantean - surface relationships improved recently? Who are the key players in this interaction?
Ha! To assume the surface has ever had relations with Atlantis is amusing. I have made strides to improve the understanding of our culture amongst the uncouth figureheads of the surface, but there is resistance to accepting the superiority of our peoples.

Admittedly, we are not currently at war with the surface, though that is more due to the futility of an extended engagement. We would gain little by conquering the world above at this time, and a battle would turn away the few who I deem trustworthy from granting Atlantis aide, should she ever need it.

quote:

Which is the best active team and why?
I no longer have interest in the politcs and organizations of the surface. The most brilliant of minds above the waves shine dim to those beneath it.

quote:

Which is the worst active team and why?
The Fantastic Four, sans my love, Susan Storm. I see no need to extrapolate; the lone fact that they host Richards speaks magnitudes.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 2, 2016

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Decided to go random here are the rolls.

Origins: 1d12 2
Primary Power Set: 1d12 11
Mutant Power Set : 1d10 5
Uncommon Powers at d10x3: 3d10 6 2 1
Uncommon Powers at d8x2: 2d10 3 3
reroll: 1d10 2
reroll pt 2: 1d10 8
Specialties: 1d10 1
Expert Specialties: 2d10 3 9

Should have a character set up by tommorow

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Section 2: The Brotherhoods

source:http://emirentia.tumblr.com
Again, this isn't an all-inclusive list, instead just a summary of how each team is - specific lineups will be decided later of if needed. Teams that have been brought up in apps so far are canon.

The Avengers

Now funded by S.H.I.E.L.D first and foremost, the avengers are the 'official' hero team, the golden standard most are held to. Of the iconic seven, none of them remain on the team. However, there a number of offshoots, including:
The Young Avengers are an unofficial team formed before the civil war, made of people with powers equivalent to the iconic seven (Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Vision and Thor).
The Shadow Avengers are Captain America's unofficial avengers team, mostly made of people vetted by Captain America itself. Some consider them more Avengers than actual Avengers, but few express the idea to the Avenger's faces.
The secret avengers were an old, secret group but we're pretty sure they're defunct?

Xaviers institute

...That's odd, shouldn't it say "X-Men"? Well, yes and no. See, for reasons unknown, officially the X-men has been disbanded. People stipulate that it's to avoid getting pressured over superhero politics (such as in civil war), others believe it is because of internal strife - only the X-men know themselves. Most have either began work with their own teams, or focus purely on the academic side of Xavier's academy. But, eight months ago, The New X-Men arrived to deal with an attempted robbery - and the questions started. Who are they, why aren't the big named X-men involved? What's going on? [spoilers for X-men affiliated characters]Instead, Xaviers institute does its superheroics unofficially, using a number of splinter groups as opposed to an official face team.

The Fantastic Four

The Original four (Susan, Johnny, Reed and Ben) have probably enough money right now to retire, but instead continue to live
as the Fantastic Four in the repaired Baxter tower. Instead, a legal cease and desist has been set against the entire film
industry to prevent the production of further Fantastic Four films, And Reed Richards himself is focused on humanitarian
projects outside of the suit - rumours says he is a few months off a major breakthrough, but the question as to what is
unknown. Since it's foundation, its main focus has been architecture preservation and community restoration projects.

Hulkamania

So someone decided to expose Shang Chi to gamma radiation. The results, simply, have been terrifying. Teaming up with
Amadeus Cho (and sometimes Bruce Banner), Hulkamania focuses on running wild on organized super villanry projects,
especially if they involve experimentation.[spoilers for H.E.S]Although you have seen them working alongside
government renovation projects.
No care for politics, no care for excuses, Hulkamania is probably one of the most
horrifying teams for super villains to face. The team has nothing to do with Hulk Hogan.

The Spider Family

The unofficial name for all of the spider themed heroes.[spoilers for Scarlet Spider and Spider Blink]Parker has created an undernet equivalent, called "The Web", which you both have access to. It's more of a discussion place than anything, where various spider folk can get in touch with each other in private, and occasionally make decisions and get dinner togher. The list of active Spiders include: Spider Man, Superior Spiderman, Ultimate Spider man, Spider Gwen, Silk, and Spider Punk. Not all of these are based in New York, however.

The Initiative
While the SHRA is no longer in effect, those who wish to become heroes still tend to be trained through the initiative. Some trainees of the program have gone straight into SHIELD, while others have gone their own way. Most of the quieter state's heroes are Initiative Alumini, although the Initiative itself doesn't have an official superhero team.

The Illuminati
...nobody sure's if they exist. Nobody's sure if they existed. Nobody's sure if they ever will exist, either.

Questions round 2
No indvidivual questions this round (considering there's you know, five of them) except for Defiance industries and the new
applicants.This time the divide is between those who are currently teamed and those who are not.

Teamed hero questions posted:

Is there another team (besides your own) who work better than yours in some ways?

Teamless hero questions posted:

Which is the best active team and why? Which is the worst active team and why?

Character questions
  • Ibntumart, Augur - Who formed the unofficial X-men and why?
  • Defiance Industries, Gambit - Why did the old X-men fall apart?
  • Ferrosol, Pete Wisdom - So how are you finding NY? Have you been here long or arrived just recently?
  • Zemlya, Kuzdu - So how about them regulars, huh? In any case, what's on the grape vine right now?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Dr. Jeffery Andrew Millman

Well, I suppose that would be a toss up. If I had to absolutely pick one, it would likely be the Fantastic Four. Part of that is scientific comradery; I have nothing but absolute respect for Reed Richards on a professional level, and that extends to his team. Beyond that though, they are the ideal of what those with intelligence and power should do. They don't do what they do for money, or because they are some shadowy government organization. They use their intelligence and power to better the world. As a humanitarian myself, I see them as a much better funded brother in arms.

Same goes for the X-Men, or whatever they are these days. I always thought all the hate and animus directed at those with the X-mutation was bigoted and wrong, and the X-men always showed why. No matter what they were on the receiving end of, they had always been there to help the world, even us normals. They'll always get a pass in my book.

I would have to say the Avengers. After everything that has come to light in recent years, especially with S.H.I.E.L.D. and the events of the civil war, I am a little hesitant to trust any group with official backing by S.H.I.E.L.D. Don't get me wrong, I ain't no Libertarian, I think government can do good work, hell I'm mostly grant funded in my professional work. Look at it this way, when even the original members don't want to touch the team, that should tell everyone else to be wary of it as well.

Otherwise, hero groups are fine and all, and I'm always willing to work with any group who has goals similar to mine. Typically these groups aren't in need of "guy with power armor that doesn't have weapons" and that is fine with me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

When you're talkin' hero teams, it's gotta be the Avengers, right? Right? They're a drat institution. You think heroes, you think the Avengers. I've liked them ever since I was a wee penguin. What I wouldn't give to hang around in that big old tower...

But seriously? Screw the Fantastic Four. For the simple fact that Reed Richards is a goddamn rear end in a top hat. Ben, Johnny, Susan, I can stand. But Reed is just the smarmiest son of a gun and it bugs the hell out of me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trollhawke posted:

Questions round 2

Well, the idea of being in the Illuminati is pretty appealing. And it's not like I don't know how to lead a group that doesn't advertise its membership and operates on the DL. Plus, they seem to do whatever they want most times, and that's definitely right up my alley. On the other hand, they haven't invited me so they might be the worst team, even less appealing than being on the Avengers with an angry Rogue.

quote:

Character questions
[*]Defiance Industries, Gambit - Why did the old X-men fall apart?

When Xavier was around, everyone knew who was in charge, you know? There was a cohesive vision. Almost the second he was out of the picture, you get people coming up with their own idea. People split off, do their own thing, start deciding THEY are the ones who really know what's up. People decide their methods are the right ones, which means everyone else's are wrong. At first it was just Scott experimenting with being King Mutant, but it started going faster and faster as more and more people decided to go their own way. With him and Wolverine both gone, you might think that would work itself out, but that... ended up being not the case.

Not only did people pick up where the both of them left off, but it seemed like everyone else thought the ship was sinking and started dividing up into life rafts. That's when Beast stepped in and laid down the law. Banged out a deal where people could come and go as they pleased but anybody who had problems with each other needed to take it off campus. Pretty upright guy, Beast. As far as I know, most of those little crews are still operating out there from wherever it is they work, but nobody really brings baggage back to the school. Seems to provide a better environment for the kids, anyway.

This new setup might work itself out eventually, but first they have to decide to talk to each other again, rather than just passing passive-aggressive notes through Hank.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Trollhawke posted:

I'd have to say the Spider Family. Spider-Man is a good guy, and does quite a bit, but ever since he's gotten his team together, he's sounded a lot less harried. The others stop in regularly as well, and they all seem nice as well.

Trollhawke posted:

Ugh, Hulkamania for sure. The only reason why they can be considered heroes is they generally begin their rampages on villains. God, I hope Hulk Hogan sues them. That's a thing he does now, right?

Trollhawke posted:

Zemlya, Kuzdu - So how about them regulars, huh? In any case, what's on the grape vine right now?

It's Zemyla. :P

Earthmoving and construction equipment has been going missing. Dump trucks, cement mixers, backhoes, the list goes on. How do you even get a bulldozer or steamroller off a construction site with nobody noticing, without having the kind of powers that would mean you didn't need that kind of equipment? I mean, it's not like they got up and walked off on their own, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Taskmaster

Who works better than Agency X?
Who doesn't?

You have to understand, we're barely a team. We're a bunch of mercenaries that use a central hiring agency that is essentially my girlfriend managing some email boxes. Outlaw and I mostly get our jobs independently, but. Alex - that's Agent X to you - needs it, and...he's a friend. Technically. Very technically.

Anyway. If I had to pick a team that I think works the best? Spidey and his crew. They're actually friends, you know? The Avengers are a mess half the time. Cap's crew is decent but they are just a mess of interpersonal troubles. The X-Men are even worse at that - and don't you believe it if you think they're actually gone. And the Fantastic Four? You didn't hear it from me, but I hear Namor's a better father to the Richards kids than Reed is.

But the spiders? They like each other. They get along, for the most part. They work as a team, and they understand each other well. I owe a lot to Spider-Man when it comes to my work, and his team is probably the best of the lot.

Heroes for Hire is decent but they're, you know, competition. I won't talk them up.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Okay, you've all had time to be properly horrified by the Inkling writeup. I thought about applying as Ms. Marvel, but I don't think I could pull off the Muslim Pakistani-American part of her story, and Squirrel Girl is on the reserved list, so instead have... another 90s refugee!

Jubilation "Jubilee" Lee is young, enthusiastic, and prone to getting into more trouble than she can get out of alone. Born in California, she was orphaned at a young age and raised by loving foster parents. When her mutant powers manifested (accidentally melting the family VCR), they called the Mutant Control Agency, thinking they'd help Jubi learn to control her powers. Instead, they sent a Sentinal. That's how she met the X-Men, they came to rescue her, and she ended up moving in with them after trying to go home and being attacked a second time.

From there, she ended up becoming part of the team... admittedly, an inexperienced member of the team who caused nearly as many problems as she solved, but a member of the team none the less! The others treated her as a bit more of a kid than she'd like... but at the same time, they also took her under their wings, Wolverine even teaching her how to drive. (No, really. That happened.)

When she's not heroing, Jubilee is unabashedly 90s cool. Her iconic bright yellow coat and pink sunglasses are only the start, she's a mall rat, plays video games near-exclusively in arcades, and says things like "let's bounce" or that someone's "not all that". She did pick up a cell phone eventually, but even there she's still carrying around a Motorola StarTAC. This occasionally annoys those around her, but others find it charming, and she's comfortable, so who cares?

Name: Jubilee
Secret Identity: Jubilation Lee (Creative!)
Team Affiliation: The X-Men... sort of.

Affiliations
Solo: d6
Buddy: d10
Team: d8

Distinctions d8 or d4+1PP
The 90s were radical
Street-Smart Mallrat
Valley Girl

Mutant Firecracker
Light Blast d8, Light Control d8, Tech Control d8, Psychic Resistance d8
SFX: Area Effect Add a d6 and an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Blinding Flash Add a d6 and increase the effect die by one when you add a blinded complication.
SFX: Untapped Potential You can add your mental or emotional stress to a Mutant Firecracker roll without spending a PP, you still step up the stress when doing so.
Limit: Mutant Gain 1 PP when interacting with mutant specific milestones or tech.
Limit: Tech Breaker Tech Control can only be used to disrupt technology, treat this as a complication to gain 1PP.

Specialties
Acrobatics Expert d8, Crime Expert d8, Psych Expert d8, Tech Expert d8, Vehicle Expert d8

Milestones

But won’t do or say anything
1 XP: When you assert your relevance to the group.
3 XP: When you get into an argument with another hero about your importance to the group, or first inflict stress or a complication on an opponent with a d12 power in a scene.
10 XP: When you save the day, or fail when everyone is counting on you.

Join the Modern World Already!
1Xp When you use 90s tech rather than modern tech.
3Xp When your 90s throwback status is relevant.
10Xp When you update your outfit and join the modern world, or decide to stay a 90s kid forever.

Trollhawke posted:

• Why did you become a hero?
After being saved by the X-Men, twice, moving into the Xavier mansion seemed like the safest thing to do. From there, it just kind of happened.

Trollhawke posted:

• What did you expect coming into the superhero life?
I dunno, but I didn't expect everyone to treat me like such a kid. I mean, sure, I'm a little younger than the others - a lot younger than Wolvie - but I'm not a toddler!

Trollhawke posted:

• Whom are you the most loyal to?
Myself! ... And the rest of the team, especially Wolverine. He's gruff and even kind of mean, but he's not a bad guy once you get to know him, really!

Trollhawke posted:

• What wish do you have for the future?
Long term? I want to build a world where loving, well-intentioned parents trying to help a mutant kid doesn't end up with giant robots kidnapping them. Not that I'd ever have kids of my own, ugh.(Poor Shogo, rejected by his own mother's younger alternate universe double! Really though, this is just her being young and free spirited (and me making jokes at Shogo's expense), it's entirely possible she'll change her mind later... if she ever gets over this quarter century of being 16 thanks to comic book time.)

Trollhawke posted:

• Why are you outside the New York Academy of Art on June the 13th, 2017 at 8:08am?
Research. I'm here because of a freak accident at the Museum of Modern Art. Long story. The only problem is that the artist whose exhibit was involved doesn't seem to actually exist. This can serve double duty as a convenient explanation of any inconsistencies between her memories of the 90s cartoon X-Men and other characters, either through trans-dimensional shenanigans or effects on her directly.

Trollhawke posted:

Ugh... falling out with an old friend is an understatement. Scott and Logan started arguing again and... like, I really don't wanna talk about it, okay?

Trollhawke posted:

Is there another team (besides your own) who work better than yours in some ways?

At the moment? Even Hulkamania is more functional. 'Course at the moment, you could get Red Skull, Ultron, and Thanos together and have a more functional team than us.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Augur (Julia Svobodova)

The Avengers. The official sanctioned version, that is. And only in the sense of---what is the word people use in this world? PR? They have the public's hearts and admiration, even though they rival or exceed the average mutant's power, and even though they have no original members. And speaking of original members, would there be splinter Avengers if the original members were not so highly regarded? The one team, the ones that are barely more than children, are tailored to mimic the old Avengers. And arguably the most beloved of the original has his own team. They pull off what we cannot seem to do as X-Men and that is not superior leadership, more power, or even government sanction. They inspire hope and love where we struggle simply not to disgust.

But there is too much sweetness in this reality for me to have a bitter tongue. And anyway, the Avengers live up to the public's expectations. I'm not even sure what our mission statement is some days.

Ibntumart, Augur - Who formed the unofficial X-men and why?

We're not the first secret team, you know. X-Force was Cyclops's child and I think we are, too, though Emma Frost runs the show from what I've experienced. And even if we're not exactly a wetwork team like X-Force, we certainly do get our hands dirtier than... well, than any Avenger would get caught doing. Sometimes you do things that aren't as palatable to the public as you wish, but they have to be done for the greater good. You can't wait for trouble to happen if you are forewarned and can end it before it starts.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Unknown Quantity posted:

Secondly, there is the matter of one...Well, again, for confidentiality purposes, I will refrain from using their real name, but they go by 'The Shocker.' A most fascinating case of good intentions with questionable methods, and my first client after Parker Industries was bought out. By complete coincidence, my wandering led me to finding a man in a yellow quilted bodysuit pointing an arm-mounted weapon at someone currently pointing a gun at a civilian's back in an alley. Analyzing the situation, I realized what went wrong: in an attempt to stop a robbery, this costumed would-be hero threatened force as their very first action. Seeing any kind of weapon raised caused the robber to feel threatened and the need to escalate and regain a position of power. Now they're stuck in a standoff position, where one wrong move could result in tragedy.

I needed to intervene, playing peacemaker. In this case, by first telling this vigilante to drop his weapon, as it's not helping matters. As much as one would rather have the one with the pistol to someone's back drop theirs first, the appearance of a second person would almost certainly result in a rash decision if my first action didn't show intent to 'aid' their cause. From there, it was a simple matter of altering everyone's perspectives of the situation: right now, all they have to answer for is attempted robbery. The gun was an act of self-defense, and has not yet escalated the crime to armed robbery until they attempt to leave with the money. Legally speaking, this really wasn't the case unless you got into semantics, but I needed to comfort them and lessen the perceived punishment, especially for turning themselves in, before they'd even begin to consider it. I explained that armed robbery is a maximum of 20 years jail time, and that attempted robbery is, at the very worst, 10 years of probation. My final action was to let them decide whether they want to risk two decades of jail for a single wallet.

Needless to say, they threw that gun away immediately. A quick application of handcuffs to a street pole and a phone call later, I was off explaining myself and asking for an explanation from this "The Shocker." According to what their mouth said, they were just starting out as a vigilante, and trying to start small. According to what their mind said, they were a newly-escaped criminal who was attempting to make a difference by using their powers to solve various small crimes, stuff too small for people who know about him and his prison break to bother with, at least until no one cares any more. I told him that his statement was a bold-faced lie, but that I'd be willing to talk them through the process anyway. We spent a good hour discussing the do's and don'ts of costumed vigilantism, with an occasional slip by..."Shocker", as to some personal detail about themselves. As the evening went on, he felt the need to be elsewhere, and I left him my business card. Since then, we have bumped into each other a few times, with me unraveling the 'mystery' of his motivations a little bit more each time.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Now, what other supers have I met... Spider-Man doesn't count, that was a fight, not a meeting... Oh! The Shocker called me once, about a year ago. Said he had a big heist planned, wanted to know if I wanted in. I didn't, obviously, but he didn't react the way I thought he would. You'd think supervillains would get mad if you rejected them, right? Or at least that they wouldn't care. Shocker didn't do that. He just got kind of sad and hung up. That got me thinking. If he called me, he must have just been calling everyone who ever fought Spider-Man, right? And if he was still looking for help by the time he got to the Rs, well, I don't know where the Shocker is now but I hope it's a happier place than he was a year ago.

(As a side note, one of the reasons I made an ex-villain trying to be a hero is that I was RandallODim hint at applying as The Shocker, so thanks for the inspiration.)

I appreciate a lot how well y'all seem to be getting the general tone of my approach to Shocker. And aww shucks, I'm glad to hear my insistence on playing Shocker any chance I get after I statted him up a year or so ago inspired something cool and creative.

Unknown Quantity posted:

We now need to figure out how to work in Venom driving a truck.

Still one of the greatest things ever animated.

Okay, time to get caught up on questions:

Trollhawke posted:

Most of my friends were more like acquaintances, but Aleksei - er, you probably know him better as Rhino, but we always got on pretty well. He was always happy to knock over a bank deposit van or hit some Stark Industries subsidiary for some tech to pawn, and, y'know, not counting the times we'd get jumped by Spider-Man or someone, we'd sometimes have actual fun with it. Everyone thinks he's not that smart, but a lot of that's just because he's not so great with English. We had a lot of good times working together.

He, uh, didn't take my switching sides too well. He'd heard about me busting out, and came looking for me, hoping to team up for some crime. He wasn't so happy when I told him I wasn't doing that anymore. Honestly, if Spider-Man hadn't shown up when he did, I don't know if I would've made it through that; Rhino's pretty terrifying when he really gets going. Lucky for me, Spidey'd been tracking me down after the breakout too, and arrived just in time to stop me getting... gored by my only friend? After that, I, um, mostly just hid. It didn't take too long for things to wrap up. Then Spider-Man came over and asked me what was going on and I told him how I was trying to do the right thing like he'd said to. Then we talked a little - he wasn't too happy about my breaking out, but he agreed not to turn me back in as long as I stuck to my word. I've run into him once or twice since. Actually, I think he's been checking to make sure I'm still doing the hero thing, but he always acts like it's a coincidence, and I'd feel weird if I asked him if he was and it turned out he wasn't, so, we usually just end up chatting a little? Turns out, he's actually a pretty smart guy. He knows a lot about tech stuff, which is nice, since it means we at least have something to talk about. I don't really have anyone else to talk shop with anymore, either, so that's nice too.

Huh. I guess I've been getting reacquainted with Spider-Man?

Trollhawke posted:

Between Spiderman, Silk, Spider Gwen, the other spider man, the other OTHER spiderman, the scarlet spider, Spider Blink, Spider Punk - there's way too many spider folk in New York. Outside of the spider scene, have you made good with any other heroes?

Honestly, I've been trying to avoid other heroes as much as I can. They might not be as understanding about my breaking out of prison as him, so I try to keep my head down as best as I can; I only go after the small stuff, non-powered muggings and robberies and such. The stuff the big names don't have time for, or don't even notice. Um... it's also a lot easier to take down a guy who has nothing more threatening that his Beretta than a guy who can control fire with his mind or throw a card through your head or who's a freaking lizard or-

Sorry. It's, um, less frightening too.

I have had a couple run-ins with this... young girl? I don't know what the deal is with her; I always get this feeling in the back of my head that there's something off about her, but she's really nice, so it doesn't bother me that much anymore. She seems to really care about getting people to stop doing crime, which is convenient, but she also wants to do it without fighting, and she's pretty good at it. Actually, I think she might have brain powers or something, because she's really good with words and convincing people to do or not do stuff, and she also seems to always know when I lie to her. But she's always really nice about it, so it's not in a scary way? And, y'know, she's a kid.

Anyway, we've met up a few times while doing things. She's just a really helpful person. Actually, she's the one who recommended those self-improvement guides to me. I should really thank her for those sometime.

Trollhawke posted:

Um, I don't really know? I mean, they're all doing heroic things, right? Isn't that all good? I... I guess the Avengers are the best? Or the Spiders? Except Mr. Fantastic does all that charity stuff...

Aw man, now I'm all confused...

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

quote:

Dell Cassidy - Ferrus Manus

"You're askin' someone like me who the best and worst active teams were? I'm not the best person to ask mister, I only got into the caped community recently and only as a sort of tentative toe dipper."

"But if I had to pick, I suppose as a Mutant I could say I show support for the Xavier institute. Saving the world is a noble cause, fighting super-villains is a worthy occupation, but at this moment in time these boys are doing what they can to show people that all mutants- or well most mutants aren't just bombs waiting to go off at any moment. I'm not different being entirely man, I'm just human with extras, not many people want to look past the mutation and see the person underneath . So keep doing that thing Mr. Xavier, I'd like to see you succeed one day."

"Annnnnnd, worst active team? Well... Let me tell you the one time where I was present when we were on the receiving end of a Hulkamania visit, it was one part of the reason why I was starting to reconsider my career choices you know? Because when you are doing a job, and then have to stop doing the job because three hulked out roid beasts break through the roof and start trashing the place, and when you don't even get paid for that day's work because of delays to the project caused by it being broken into tiny pieces by the Hulk; the other Hulk and the brand new Hulk, along with most of the facility, hospitalized most of the people you worked with, and even ate your lunch, it sort of saps you will to continue in the same line of work."

"Accidentally becoming Ferrus Manus just sped the process up somewhat."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 2, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

quote:

I appreciate the simplicity of how the Hulkamaniacs operate. Just go in, do what you're there to do, leave. No politics, no secrets to keep, just smashing things that deserve to be smashed. It's the kind of thing you can only do if your team's entirely made of Hulks, but it's still a nice change of pace compared to everyone else.

quote:

This is harder. There's a lot of teams I dislike, but that doesn't make them the worst. I mean, I don't hate the Spider-Family, I just hate Spider-Man. I'd never join the X-Men, but the Xavier Institute's still an advocacy group. Stuff like that, y'know? I guess I'll just look over this list again, see if anything pops out. Maybe there's... Wait, is that...

Is there really a group named the Illuminati? Really? What do they do, control the rap game from behind the scenes? Maybe sneak Mephisto onto cookie packaging? gently caress me, I can't believe someone thought naming themselves the Illuminati was a good idea. Seriously, anyone who'd name their shadowy organization the Illuminati in the year 2017 has no business running a shadowy organization.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 2, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

(Great work, Reed.)

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mors Rattus posted:

(Great work, Reed.)

He's just trying to invent a new level of ironic sarcasm.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
/
El Montaña/Rafael Torres

quote:

Oh, man, that's a tough one. I gotta go with the Heroes for Hire at this point. Between Cage being similar to me in what we can do and Fist drawing power from some ancient mysticism like I do, they're the closest to the ideal team for me. Spider-Man and his people aren't bad, though I've only really dealt with the real deal.

I think.

quote:

The Hulkamaniacs. The 'maniacs' part is too right. All they do is destroy. They're weapons, not heroes. It's terrifying. I don't think I could stand up to a Hulk and I don't know why someone thought it'd be good to have a TEAM of Hulks. That's just something bad waiting to happen.

And I mean, really? I grew up in the 90's, man. I know Hogan's not really in the same weight class as an earth shattering monster and I know he's not related AT ALL but a small part of me feels like they're dragging his name through the mud.

I used to wear a bandana cause of him, okay?

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 2, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Trollhawke posted:

A difficult question. There are several teams who are known for their great deeds, such as the Avengers, but at the same time, this is such a subjective topic that I am unsure if I can put confidently put any one team ahead of the others. Then again, if I looked at this from a more objective level...I would have to give the vote to the Guardians of the Galaxy. They are one of few teams I know of (the other being The Avengers) who are capable of contending with cosmic threats on the level of Thanos, and, objectively speaking, they handle cosmic threats across the galaxy on a daily basis. While several other teams have stopped similar or greater threats, most have to wait for it to arrive at and threaten Earth before they can do anything about it. The Guardians are more proactive, more wide-spread, and most of if not all of their members are very sociable! Groot in particular I have heard is a treat to share a poker table with.

Trollhawke posted:

Hulkamania. Even though Banner is one of my clients, I don't see the point of a team of three of the same set of powers. A good team has a wide array of powers, abilities, and skills that complement one another or cover the bases. Even the Spider Family, although they share several skills and abilities, have something unique to bring to the table in terms of technical skills and having several tactical options. If everyone's just an angry bruiser, there's no strategy, there's no legwork, there's no precision, just pounded faces and countless amounts of property damage. I cannot approve of a team whose structure and tactics amount to deploying the nuclear option. Quite literally, in this particular case. The copyright infringement doesn't help either.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scarlet Spider

Is there a team that works better than mine? I mean yeah, any of them, and none of them, teams are &@$:ing stupid, they don't work. Believe me, I'd much rather work alone if people would just let me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Opopanax posted:

Scarlet Spider

Is there a team that works better than mine? I mean yeah, any of them, and none of them, teams are &@$:ing stupid, they don't work. Believe me, I'd much rather work alone if people would just let me.

This guy knows what's up. Teams just mean people who try to boss you around and the inevitable problems of mixing work and relationships.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Ended up doing a lot more research / reading over the weekend, so switched around a few things on the sheet. Original post has been edited to show the changes and costs of the new-ish build.

Trollhawke posted:

Barbed Tongues, E-VAC - since escaping Red Eagle, who's helped you get your life back together?

That would be Noriko Nagayoshi. He was the contact who ran support during my sabotage operation against Red Eagle in the first place. He then took the lead on the trying to reverse engineer and cancel the control device that was keeping me in check. Once the device had been implanted, I had refused his help, SHIELD's help. I withheld consent from all of their assistance and procedures, demanding to be let go. Only after a number of weeks being held did 'Riko make progress. Found a loophole in the device that he and his team was able to exploit to make me more cooperative. Since the device made me think the loyalty I felt for Red Eagle was truly my own, 'Riko had papers, assurances, project notes - a ton of legal securities that if I agreed to have the device removed, I would be released immediately. Believing that would be the only way I could get back to my 'team' - I agreed. It worked. As soon as it was out, my loyalty shifted. 'Riko helped me with the small things too. Getting me back into society with new paperwork as 'Eve Ackerman,' getting funding so that I could attend an academy. His work was integral to getting my PHASE Harness going - it enhances some of my abilities and also allows their limited transference to another. A great rescue device.

Original characters question posted:

I'm still pretty new SHIELD as an active Agent. Have only helped in a few small scale operations where important civilians were concerned. (I rescued a Representative once!). Probably the two masks with the biggest impact on me are...

Agent Crimson: When 'Riko got stymied in the extraction of my control device, he partnered with Crimson - who brought a mystic solution to bear. I don't know if the side effects were from his work or 'Riko's, but the result is my loyalty to Red Eagle was broken, but now when I do feel a connection to someone - it hits me strong, but doesn't stay the distance. Except... Except with Agent Crimson. It feels different than when I was enthralled by Red Eagle, but that same level of loyalty runs through me for Crimson - and so far it hasn't shown any sign of fading.

Taskmaster: 'Riko got me into Taskmaster's program. That was a really good time for me. I wasn't as outgoing as some of the other students, and he probably thought I had severe ADHD from all the projects and lessons I would get really into and then quickly get really bored of. But his patience in training me the basics was a godsend. Even though I didn't get the personal attention of his top students, I was offered entrance into his advanced track. By then SHIELD felt their own training would be a better next step, and that's where I went. Still, I feel like if SHIELD ever let me go - or even if I wanted something on the side to round out my life - he might have room for me.

Teamed hero questions posted:

I have to admit I'm jealous of the people in Xavier's Institute. I still call them the X-Men, but hey. Anyway - they all come from a common background. People whose genomes have mutated away from Homo Sapeins. I know its hit a lot of them hard, and there have been a lot of backlash against them for it. But I'm a geneticist, so I understand evolution. They are an amazing next step for our species, probably our best chance to survive as a unique life form. I'd love to have that common background people like that, instead of what I got - a shared background with people like Killgrave's victims.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

Ok, lets say you go to the gas station and pick up one of those frozen burritos they have in the freezer case, and you take it home and stick it in your microwave, and then when it's done you take it out and take a bite, but its too hot; I mean, that filling is totally molten, so, of course, you burn your mouth. So, now you're jumping around, because you can feel the skin on the inside of your cheek just slough off there, and you're like, "Oh, f*&k, oh f*&k! My mout! My mout!", so you run to the sink and you just pour a gallon of water in there, desperately trying to put out the flames shooting off your tongue, but the cheese in the burrito sticks to the roof of your mouth, and it just keeps on burning, and burning, and then when it's over, you decide you really shouldn't have put it in the microwave for so long, and if only you had been more careful, you wouldn't be spitting out ashes right now.

You know what? You're a freaking moron, because even if you hired a goddamn French chef to cook that burrito for you; even if you gave that burrito to a reincarnated Julia Child, and she cooked that burrito using every talent at her disposal, it's still just a gas station burrito. Even when it's good, it's pretty terrible. And that's the way it is with these superhero teams. Hmm. I'm hungry. Want to go out and get some food? I know a place that makes some pretty good burritos.

<Just answer the question.>

Ok, so even among gas station burritos, some are worse than others. Shang Chi and I rode bikes together, you know. Anyway, even though I don't particularly like Banner even when he's not angry, at least Hulkamania is kicking rear end and taking names. I don't really know what they get out of it other than the warm tinglies that you get when you rearrange faces and smash stuff up, and they're not really the most subtle, but I've always thought subtlety is overrated.

So, who's the worst of the worst? Well, depends how you define worst. Sue Richards is hot, so the Fantastic Four have that going for them. Shame she's still shackled to Reed. But they're not really doing anything these days, so are they the worst? Are they active? Hanging out in a tower and giving money to charity isn't really "active."

Then there's Charles Xavier's School for Wayward Boys and Girls. I mean, I did a lot with the X-Men back in the day (and still have Wolverine in my freezer. I'm thinking about getting him encased in carbonite, like Harrison Ford in Star Wars. Wait, what? Carbonite's not real? Well, they better get working on that, then. If that's what Reed Richards is working on, the Fantastic Four jump up to the top,). And while they tended to be sanctimonious pricks, at least they were effective. But now, what's left? Bunch of kids, that's all, who still need their mothers to wipe their noses for them.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deadpool posted:

Long-winded burrito monologue

I've never heard of someone who would just immediately grab and eat a microwaved consumable as soon as it finished heating. As I recall, such things have a "let sit for two minutes" step written on them for that very reason. Alternatively, one could cut it in half and consume both sides starting from the cooler center. It just seems quite foolish to end up burned as the result of simple food preparation. Unless...Did you perhaps forget to remove it from its packaging?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

I've never heard of someone who would just immediately grab and eat a microwaved consumable as soon as it finished heating. As I recall, such things have a "let sit for two minutes" step written on them for that very reason. Alternatively, one could cut it in half and consume both sides starting from the cooler center. It just seems quite foolish to end up burned as the result of simple food preparation. Unless...Did you perhaps forget to remove it from its packaging?

I prefer cup ramen myself. You don't run into any problems with water and noodles. Plus, they're easy as hell to find around a college campus. Plus, if you're in a financial crutch, you can cut the block of noodles in half and have two meals for the price of one! God, it was my best friend when I was working on my thesis.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

And this, children, is why you need to know that heroing will never pay your bills.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sometimes I burn myself on cup noodles...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

And this, children, is why you need to know that heroing will never pay your bills.

Hey, listen, I have tenure now! That was just during med school!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Trollhawke posted:

Best team? That’d be Dante / X-23 / Sentinel, obviously, I mean, it’s not 100% pro, but it’s competitive online, you know, and I think tier rankings are kind of overrated, but-

Ohhhhh.

The problem with teams is that you end up in a lot more danger in one of them. You’re on a solo, you’re pret-ty safe because your name is on the cover, but you get on a team, bam! Anything can happen to you. Like Captain America gets turned into a tree-man, Thor gets his arm chopped off, Iron Man gets turned evil… well, evil-er. And if it happens to guys like that, it can happen to anyone! But if you’ve got your name on the cover, you’re pretty safe! Mostly. Unless somebody adds “Death of…” to your title. Yeah. Tough times.

Best team? I wouldn’t mind crossing over with the Young Avengers, they’re pretty cool, and Noh-Varr is actually an awesome DJ. I’d even cross over with the Young Dark Avengers, or were they the Dark Young Avengers? Whatever, they were pretty cool, I guess. I mean, the Old Avengers are still pretty iconic, don’t let me wrong, but it seems like it’d be more dangerous to be around them. I don’t want to get caught being the death du jour of Thanos so he can show he’s totally serious and totally not going to lose for like the twenty-fourth time by blowing up the rookie with no powers. No thank you, son.

Worst… well, Hulkamania is… I don’t have any beef with them, don’t get me wrong. Really, having a beef with Hulks is pretty close to the worst idea ever. But, you know, I don’t want to be in a comic drawn by Frank Cho. Ugh. Hey, Cho, your sketch gag is already lamer than chimichanga jokes already! It’s not offensive, it’s just dumb!

quote:

The Illuminati

...nobody sure's if they exist. Nobody's sure if they existed. Nobody's sure if they ever will exist, either.

Heee ahahahahaha... oh... *snort*

What? I don't know nothin'.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

But government grants and Tenure will! Plus I set up a charitable non-profit, since so many people wanted to donate money to me in thanks for what I do! Yeah, I could have said no, but if I start using grant funding on the H.E.S. then suddenly the government gets a stake, and I need to actually live off the money I make as salary.

Don't worry, the non-profit ain't a slush fund. Whatever money doesn't go to repairing and upgrading the H.E.S. goes towards radiation detectors and hazmat suits for needy projects. And believe me, there isn't much left over for that. There's a reason only crazy independently wealthy folks and the government have powered battlesuits.

Got to justify that business specialty somehow.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

It's like the California Gold Rush. The miners seldom made it rich, but the people selling them pickaxes and doing their laundry made quite a bit. In this circumstance, one might do something like -

Yeah, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mors Rattus posted:

Spoken like a true non-entrepreneur. You just have to market yourself and apply your abilities correctly.

• Locked thread